LOTRO Beta..

Ha. Sounds like the makings of a flash game here...

Did you know you can pick his scimitars and kill him with his own weapons?

But I know what you mean. I hardly ever play SP games anymore. I got Oblivion, and loved it, but really felt the need to have other people around.

Oh of course but quite frankly, his scimitars sucked.

Yeah, I exclusively play online games now. There's an interesting article on one of those MMO magazines I read awhile back. It was an interview with Jack Emmert, who designed CoH. He basically said the same thing you did. He said people, from what he learned in CoH, just generally enjoy playing a game knowing there are others in the background doing their thing as well. And when you want to chat or group, you can and share in experiences more directly.

I can actually legally serve alchohol XD I had to take the course to be allowed to run drinks from the bar to tables. Plus it was on the same day and in the same room as when I had to renew my food handlers permit so I just stayed for both.

I have the hardest time remebering what is being discussed in each thread when I want to scan for interesting replies because I can't remember one thread that hasn't veered waaaaay off topic :D

So while we're off-topic.. any other fans of Xenosaga here? I haven't played Xenogears yet (though I should, everyone says it's great) but I'm absolutely in love with the story of Xenosaga and eagerly anticipating the third game.. though still wishing they were making six games :(

So while we're off-topic.. any other fans of Xenosaga here? I haven't played Xenogears yet (though I should, everyone says it's great) but I'm absolutely in love with the story of Xenosaga and eagerly anticipating the third game.. though still wishing they were making six games :(

I didn't like Xenosaga. I felt like they forgot to actually make a game - too many cut scenes, not enough game.

I know there are folks who are plenty good with that. Just not for me.

I didn't mind all the cut scenes, it was the terribly slow pace of the game that got to me. Combat wasn't fun, in my opinion, and there just wasn't much... draw to keep me playing.

If you can find Xenogears, you should definitely play it. It may be hard to find, but it's worth it. Also, keep in mind, it's a very long game.

Just wanted to add. I learned something new (at least to me anyways) in LotRO.

The sky has actual constellations at night that matches the real sky. I saw the Big Dipper, Orion and a couple others. I am so impressed with the polish of this game. And, when snow falls, if you get a close look at the snow, they are actual snowflakes.

It's little things like this that really makes the game special. Turbine really made an effort to make the world seem alive.

I still have not been invited to the beta....

no surprise...

:(

All you had to do is purchase the pre-order and you would have access to open beta and you get to keep all your characters (max level 15). Sure you have to pay $10 to play but you would've gotten almost a month of playtime to determine if the game is for you or not. I think it's a good deal whether you plan to play it or not.

But considering the game is going live on the 24th, there's not too much point in buying the pre-order now unless you absolutely believe you'll play the game in the long run.

You don't need broadband for Lotr. The graphics are highly optimized. Even on low setting it's still lovely world.

However, there might be places you have trouble. Like in Bree during peek hours (the city needs more optimizing!).

I imagine I'd need broadband not to take a week downloading updates :D

Of course there's no female dwarves *thwaps* Read your Tolkien

[edit] Female dwarves
A long standing source of interest (and humour) comes from the allusion of Tolkien to female dwarves having actual beards or simply disguising themselves as such. In addition to being rare creatures they are perhaps not often featured in many fantasy milieu for this reason. A more cynical suspicion is that female dwarves (unlike, say, female humans or elves) lack sex appeal and consequently are of little interest to fantasy fans. In Peter Jackson's The Two Towers film, Gimli and Éowyn have a conversation about them on their way to Helm's Deep. Gimli said: "it's true you don't see many dwarf women. And in fact, they're so alike us in voice and appearance that they're often mistaken for dwarf men." Tolkien comments further, paraphrased by Gimli in the movie, that "this has given rise to the foolish opinion among Men that there are no dwarf-women, and that dwarves 'grow out of stone' " (Gimli: "pop out of holes in the ground!... which is of course ridiculous"). In The Chronicles of Narnia, in fact, C. S. Lewis, who was a friend of Tolkien, described his Dwarfs [sic] as doing just this, and it is entirely possible that Tolkien was ribbing Lewis in making this point. Interestingly, though, Lewis' all-male Dwarfs are capable of mixing with humans to make half-Dwarfs, such as Doctor Cornelius, the tutor of Prince Caspian.

In the MMORPG RuneScape, female dwarves are as present in the game as the females of other races.

In Dungeons & Dragons, the status of beards on dwarven women varies by setting: In Greyhawk, dwarven women grow beards but generally shave; in Forgotten Realms they grow sideburns but not beards or mustaches; and in Eberron they do not grow beards at all.

In the Discworld novels, Terry Pratchett says that this is a major problem for dwarves, and states that the point of dwarvish relationships is to 'tactfully find out which sex the other one is '

In the RPG Castle Falkenstein, all dwarves are male. They marry with women from other Faerie races, such as Naiads or Selkies; their daughters are all members of their mother's race, and their sons are all dwarves. Given that the Naiads and Selkies are all female, this would appear to suggest that this is simply a marked example of sexual dimorphism.

In a notable departure from convention, dwarven females in the Korea-produced Lineage II MMORPG are very comely, young-looking women (almost girls, actually), a shocking contrast to the grizzled, old look of male dwarves.

[edit]
In a notable departure from convention, dwarven females in the Korea-produced Lineage II MMORPG are very comely, young-looking women (almost girls, actually), a shocking contrast to the grizzled, old look of male dwarves.

Almost girls? They look like ten year olds and they're marrying things that look 70!
Angel.jpg

Back