Love in Bloom

Chapter 7

I won the race. Well at least i think i did. Afterwards i thought he might have held back on me, just to make me feel better. I don't know i guess it doesn't really matter

"So what is that book that you found so much more interesting than the beautiful scenery or dare i say it myself, yesterday." I smiled. Michael had a way of speaking that seemed to put a smile on my face. But despite the fact that he already knew that i was a friendless freak he didn't need to know that i was a loser to boot, that read Tolstoy.

"Just a book."

"Well there's only one book i can think of that is that thick. Tolstoy." frack. I turned to face him and he was smirking. DOUBLE frack. I turned my head away blushing.

"Well i have to say i'm shocked. I don't know many 17 year olds you have read Tolstoy."

"Five times." OH felgercarb. Way to go Syd. IDOIT.

"Five times really?" I turned to him and gave him a weak smile. "Don't be shy, I’d probably have read it that many times if i still had a copy."

"You've read Tolstoy?"

"Yep, four times. Well actually four and half." I gave him a questioning look and he proceeded to tell me the story of how he'd lost his copy of Tolstoy. It had happened during the summer before his final year at school, all his friends had gone to Miami on summer vacation but he stayed, had to work and needed the money. However when he wasn't working he had nothing to entertain himself and since he had all summer to entertain himself for he decided to read the thickest book he had Tolstoy. Well he got one weekend off from work and sat in his room for 9 hours straight reading. His mother had come up to feed him and beg him to go out and get fresh air, but he didn't. When he'd reached the nine hour mark at 11:30pm, his mother was so fed up, that she stormed up to his room, snatched the book away and burned it. I couldn't help but laugh at his story.

"It's not funny she banned the book from the house. If i want to read it i have to do so at school or the library."

"I'm sorry that must be absolutely awful." I said sarcastically as the giggles continue to slip out.

"That's lovely. What happened to pretending to be nice to me?" I couldn't answer him; i was still caught up in my fit of giggles. “Okay, i can see i'm not gonna get anything intelligible out of you for a little while yet. So I’ll let you go. If you ever need me I’ll most likely be in my cabin," he said pointing to the cabin behind me, "hiding from the hoards of piranhas circling outside." I smiled at him as he walked past me to his cabin.

"Hey Syd," he called out. I turned around to see him facing me. "If you can't find me and you still need a cry, could you give this a wash for me," he said as he pulled his shirt over his head and threw it at me. "It could use it. Thanks." And he began to walk to cabin once again.

I was frozen in place watching a shirtless Michael Vaughn walk into his cabin. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't think, couldn't breathe, and couldn’t move. I was just standing there for like five minutes after he'd entered is cabin. I finally snapped out of it and realized i was holding his sweaty shirt.

"URGHH. Gross." I held the shirt by my thumb and forefinger in front of me as i walked back to my own cabin.

"Morning Syd." Lauren whispered as i walked in the door. I jumped in shock and quickly hid the shirt behind the back. Me walking in the cabin in the middle of the morning with a guy's t shirt is not the impression i wanted to give Lauren.

"Morning, you're up early." I whispered walking to my bed, avoiding Lauren from seeing behind my back.

"Not really, i was awake when you left, but i was trying to sleep in. What have you got behind your back?"

"Huh," I say looking behind my back. "Oh nothing." I say quickly shoving the shirt under my sheets. "So do you mind if i use the shower first."

"Mind? I insist no offence."

"None taken. Thanks." I bend down and once again begin to rummage through my bag for something decent to wear. Today was again going to be hot, not as hot as yesterday but still hot. Have i mentioned how much i HATE the heat. Because i hate it with a great passion, and mainly because it requires me to wear less clothing on my body.

"Can't find anything to wear?" Lauren asked as she climbed out of bed to join me. "Oh my god, you have this skirt?" I looked up and saw Lauren holding up a multicolored jagged edge skirt. Had it been longer i probably would have worn it under normal circumstances.

"Yeah well my friend kind of did some shopping for me, before i left." Actually looking at the skirt i was wondering what the hell Francie was thinking. Where would i wear that at a summer camp?

"Some shopping. This is Gucci. It probably cost two hundred bucks."

"Oh we used my father’s credit card." I said still keeping voice low as to not wake the others. Lauren raised her eyebrows at me.

"Your father gave you his credit card."

"I'm an only child. Spoilt rotten."

"So it would seem. Well you definitely have to wear this."

"I don't think so. It's not really me. My friend picked it out. I'm more into the tomboy look."

"So it's never too late to change and besides, it doesn't look like you've got anything tomboyish in here."

"Tell me about it."

"Tell you what, you have a shower and I’ll pick out an outfit for you because trust me if there's one thing i know it's clothes. So go on shower." Lauren practical pushed me into the bathroom.

Once out of the shower i walked back into the bedroom and noticed a lot of the girls had woken up. Lauren was chatting to the bimbo from yesterday.

"Oh Syd," she said noticing my presence. "Try this, it'll work with your figure and who knows grab Mr. Vaughn's attention." The bimbo gasped and slapped Lauren. I took the clothes from Lauren and went back into the bathroom.

Lauren had dressed me in a pair of three quarter green cargo pants and a pale purple tank top. However if i raised my arms only slightly the top would ride up and expose my stomach. Urghh. I know i'm sooking. Looking at myself i guess i didn't look too bad. Considering the clothes Fran had packed, this was semi decent. I think perhaps Lauren was trying to ease me into the transition from tomboy to glamour girl. But I’d still prefer my own shirts that in no way exposed my belly. I wonder if Lauren was right about Michael would this grab his attention. Oh my god what am i saying. Why do i care. HOLY felgercarb. That's when i remembered the shirt in my bed. felgercarb, Lauren had seen me hide it there. I discreetly walked out of the bathroom and noticed that Lauren was caught up in a conversation with bimbo and two others. Avoiding any attention, i walked to my bed, i looked under the sheets and saw the shirt. It didn't look like anyone had touched it. THANK GOD.

"Syd you look like a great." I turned to Lauren and saw her looking at me. I gave a quick smile. Lauren got up and headed to the bathroom.

"My turn." The minute Lauren shut the door. I picked up my bag of clothes, grabbed the shirt ensuring to keep it out of view and shoved it in the bottom of my bag. Zipping it up i placed it back under my bed and preyed no one found the desire the go through my bag.

Once Lauren was showered and reseed, in a fiery red shots and yellow shirt, we headed off to breakfast. It was buffet style you grabbed a tray and took what you want. Lauren favored scrambled eggs on toast with an OJ. I stuck with cereal , a banana and water. I n=know i'm a health freak. Add it to the list.

At the breakfast table Lauren and i sat by ourselves. That is until five minutes later we were joined by two other girls, Roxy and Shelly, whom Lauren had befriended on the bus. The three spoke while i sat and listened. Shelly commented on me outfit at one point and i said thank you.

.Although I’d thoroughly finished my breakfast i decided to stay and try and make friends like I’d promise Michael. Although i didn't say much the fact that i was sitting in a group of girls listening to them was a big step for me. Although they did talk about clothes the main topics were school. How much they hated their teaches, funny things they'd done during the year. I joined in at this point and told the story of our Biology substitute teacher coming to class in a mini leather skirt and fish net stockings. This got a laugh out of the girls, and they continued on with their stories. It still felt weird being around these girls but i stuck it out

As time went by the hall continued to get louder and louder as more girls came in for breakfast. The only time the noise level diminished was when Michael entered to hall, showered and fully dressed. He walked up to the buffet grabbed a banana then went over and spoke to one of the volunteer counsellor. They spoke for a few minutes before Michael was again left the hall, much to the disappointment of his admiring fans.

Once breakfast was done, we all had to be done by 9, we were divided into four groups. It was explained that we would do a series of four activates by the end of the day. Our schedule was 'Activity 1, a half an hour break then onto activity 2 and 3 then lunch before finishing off with activity 4. Then there'd be free time till dinner. After dinner we would all participate in a bush walk.

I was placed in a group with Roxy, while Lauren was with Bimbo and Shelly was in a another group altogether. Although we'd barely spoken Roxy stuck pretty close to me. Maybe Lauren asked her to, because of last night. Anyway, our leader was the dark brunette I’d seen Michael talk to earlier. She introduced herself as Nadia and lead us to a makeshift soccer field. That's where Michael and another male counsellor were kicking a ball around. Nadia went up and briefly spoke to the pair before coming back to address us.

"As you can tell our first activity is a soccer match. Now i know it's a little warm, but this is a summer camp, so yes it is gonna be hot and yes you are expected to participate. So to my left for all of you who don't remember, is Michael, and to my right is Eric. They will be umpiring the game. And as a bit a extra incentive the team that wins will win each team member a ticket into town next weekend, the members on the losing team will remain at camp. So let's begin. You two will be our captain", she said pointing to me and another girl. I looked to Vaughn and knew that he had told her to pick me. Ok now i'm gonna kill him and Fran.

I stepped forward to stand next to Nadia and was asked to pick my first team member. I picked Roxy, as her name was the only one i knew. The other girl picked next. Then it was my turn again. Roxy whispered someone's name in my ear and i called it out. This continued until we had been equally divided into two groups. Michael then stepped forward to outline then rules and then it was game time.

I sure became popular during the game. Between me and Roxy, we scored all 3 of our goals. It wasn't as if i was any good at soccer or that i played before, it's just that all soccer seems to be is running up and down a field with a ball, and i am a runner. I know there's probably more to the game than that but in this game there wasn't. Roxy was brilliant though, she really impressed. I realized she was probably the girl at school who is involved in every team sport imaginable and on sports days you hear her name called out so many times that your saying it in your sleep. She was the one who actually scored the three goals but the rest of us helped.

It was actually a fun game. At one point a girl called Melissa attempted to kick the ball, missed altogether and landed on her behind. Another girl got a ball to the stomach as she tried to stop it going through the net and nearly all of us, excluding Roxy, ended up on the ground at one time or another.

But the highlight for everyone was when Michael joined the game. I guess he felt sorry for the losing team and who had only made it close to their net twice in the last hour and neither of those times resulted in a goal. Anyway i had to ball and was running down field with it, Roxy to my right waiting for my pass, and Michael came out in front of me, challenging me for the ball. I reacted instantly and passed the ball off the Roxy. Michael smirked and chased after Roxy. He caught and just like with me stood in front of her, challenging her for the ball. When Roxy tried to maneuver around him, he caught the ball off her and ran up field with it, scoring the other team a goal. And i got to say there wasn't one pair of eyes that wasn’t on Michael, including mine. He was so good, the way he moved, and given his physique it was hard not to look. However the girls on the losing team saw this as an opportunity to hug Michael. They all crowed around him, trying to get a feel of him. You could tell by the look on his face that he wasn't enjoying that. I smirked. This is good payback for the shirt incident earlier.

"Bet he didn't see that coming!" Roxy said as she walked past me back to the centre of the field. She was right, i doubt that Michael had anticipated that the girls would show him their gratitude by trying to feel him up, when he'd decided to help them.

Once Michael had detangled himself from the 'piranhas' as had called them, he walked to centre field and faced off with Roxy. This time he came off second best as Roxy scored our third goal. It was then that Nadia called the game. I saw Michael walk up to Roxy, he whispered something to her before patting her on the back and walking back over to Eric.

"Ok good, game. So the winners are Team one, three goals to one. Excellent. Now if everyone on the winning team would like to come up and I’ll get your names then you've got half an hour to yourself. Meet outside the dining hall by 10:30."

"Water!" was all Roxy said after giving Nadia her name. I smiled and walked with her to the dining hall. Grabbing two bottles of water i sat down at the table while Roxy laid herself out on one of the benches.

"Looking over at her i said" Givin' how good you were out there I’d figure you'd play a lot of sports. You can't tell me an hour of soccer has tired you out?"

She didn't reply straight away as she was guzzling her water down. When she'd drunk about half the bottle she answered me " Oh i do. I'm on three of my school teams and four teams outside of school and i rock climb on the weekends. But ever since i finished school and the sports seasons over, i'm so out of shape." I smiled .

We sat there for five minutes before we were joined by Lauren and Shelly.

"What have you guys been up to?" Shelly asked when she noticed Roxy lying down on the bench. Roxy wasn't in the mood to talk so it as left to me.

"We've been playing soccer and Roxy over here was the star scoring three goals."

"Go Roxy."

"So what have you been doing?"

"Archery. It was fun. I got the second highest score."

"Which wasn't that high anyway. It's just that most arrows ended up going over the target or not even reaching it." Suddenly Roxy got up with a massive smile on her face.

"What's up with you?" And she proceeded to tell the story of Michael and the soccer game, as i have now dubbed it.

"I can't believe you did that. He probably thinks your a bitch now."

"Ah well, doesn't matter anyway. He was watching Sydney the whole time." All eyes turned on me. At that moment i would have just loved to have shrunk down to the size of a rat and scurried away.

"He wasn't." I said shaking my head vigorously, perhaps a bit too much.

"Oh he so was."

"So my outfit worked did it. See i told you it would bring out your figure. I guess this puts you in first place."

"First place for what?" Shelly asked.

"We got a pool going in our cabin. Who can get to Michael first. By the way if you win you owe ten bucks." Lauren said.

"Well i can't wait until we do soccer." Shelly said smirking.

Half an hour later we were following Nadia to Archery. We had as much luck there as the other team had at soccer. Despite being a sporty person not even Roxy could master this activity. She only hit the board four times, which was two more than me. M mostly the arrows went where Lauren said the would over the target or the ground in front of the target. Most girls got frustrated with it and gave up, even though Nadia and Sharon[ the other counsellor] tried to encourage us. By the time it was time to move on, only Roxy and two other girls were trying. I had given up. As i said i was starting to realize what a i temper i had in me and this activity was stretching me to my limit. So i quit before i lost it.

The next activity was arts and craft. We had to paint. I hated this. I was never a creative person and am still not. I started with a blank canvas and an hour later i ended up with a funny looking blob that was meant to look like myself. However i guess if you were looking at it as a self portrait it did look like me. A freak.

At lunch i sat with Lauren and the others but didn't speak a word. My mind was on the revelation i ad made in art class. I was freak, ugly just like the portrait. The more i thought about it , the more i didn't like it, the more i didn't like myself. It was then i realized i had to change and it had to begin with my social habitats. I mean Lauren was living prove that you could be popular and more than a just another bimbo. That's it i'm gonna try. I'm gonna make friends. Although being me for 17 years it wasn't gonna be easy but i knew exactly where to start. With Michael, he offered help, now i was going to accept it.

I LOVE SOCCER! i would have given michael a run for his money..
hehe he was watchin her the whole time
great update
thanks for the pm
-k

i love the update~!!! and her revalation at the end!! Also i love the cute playful banter between the two!! :lovely:

so where are you from saila?

YA!! She's going to ask him for help!!! :D
-I have a feeling that Syd will probably win that bet!!! ;)
-Loved it! Thanks for the pm!!

michael without a shirt always good
and syd finally realising she NEEDED to make friends
so how are ya
when u plan on updating???
luv dani

lol i had to think about what soccer was for a moment their and thats when i realised that for me its football :D anyway..that was a great chapter!
thanks for the PM
update soon :D

Back