Love is a Four Letter Word

Title: Love is a Four Letter Word
Author: Me *Katy*
Summary: “You didn’t ruin it, this is just… a change of plans,”
Rating: PG, definitely.
Spoilers: General Alias, just know that Syd and Vaughn are together and in love.
Word Count: 2,027
Author’s Note: I’m completely anti-Valentine’s Day, but I couldn’t resist writing some V-day fluff.

1/1

“I’m going to go home, sleep a little bit,” Sydney told her live-in boyfriend.

Michael’s brow creased in concern, “Are you sure you’ll be okay driving home? I can take off early. Plus, someone has to make sure you rest once you get home,” he teased lightly.

Sydney nodded, “I’ll be fine; I think it’s that virus Eric had last week.” She cringed slightly before leaning over and kissing the corner where Michael’s lips met his cheek. “Get some work done,” she said with a pointed look.

“Yes, dear,” he said dutifully, watching as she walked down the corridor towards the elevator which she stepped onto just in time for the door to close.

He turned to his desk where he really tried to get through the growing stack of paperwork on his desk. Michael was unsuccessful, quickly distracted by the looming holiday that was approaching in less than twelve hours.

It was technically his and Sydney’s second Valentine’s Day together, but the previous year’s was ruined by a last-minute mission that forced them to be a thousand miles apart. That was why Michael was determined to make this Valentine’s Day extra special for Sydney, who had confessed to him that she had never really spend the cupid-inspired holiday with a boyfriend.

Calling around, he was able to pull a favor and score reservations for an upscale restaurant and arranged for flowers and chocolates to be ready for tomorrow.

All thoughts of an amazing Valentine’s Day dinner went down the toilet when he arrived home. He quickly found his girlfriend hovering over the porcelain dish throwing up the crackers she had managed to eat for lunch.

“Oh God,” he muttered, seeing the sight of a pale and sickly Sydney with her straight brown hair sticking every which way and her normally pressed and cleaned clothes a rumpled mess.

“I was feeling better so I tried to eat soup,” she explained weakly, resting her sweaty brow against her arm.

Michael smiled slightly, trying to encourage her, “I’m going to get you some ginger ale and sweatpants then I’ll be right back.” He leaned down and gave Sydney a gentle kiss on her forehead, before standing up straight and walking down the hall.

Michael quickly found the formerly mentioned items and set them down on the counter, so he could make a phone call.

“Yeah, Matt, that favor for tomorrow, um, I don’t need it anymore,” he sighed. Michael paused for a second, listening to his old friend on the other end, “No, we didn’t break up; she’s got the flu or something.”

He hung up the phone, but didn’t hear his girlfriend creeping up behind him. “I’m sorry I ruined your plans,” she said softly, walking slowly towards him.

Michael turned around swiftly, surprised to see Sydney away from the porcelain bowl. He smiled gently, taking her into his arms. “You didn’t ruin it, this is just… a change of plans,” Michael said, kissing her forehead. “We still get the day off, and we still get to spend Valentine’s Day together.”

“Yeah,” she said, but lacking the same enthusiasm he held.

“It’ll be great,” he reassured her.

<3 <3 <3

Unfortunately, Michael woke up to the sounds of throwing up, then the flush of a toilet. He was about to groggily stand up when Sydney climbed back into bed, placing a hand on his stomach to stop him.

“Feeling better?” he asked with a grim smile and a concerned look. Sydney shook her head, shifting her body so it was aligned with his and resting her head against his bare chest.

Michael soothingly ran his fingers though her silky chestnut colored hair as her fatigued eyes fluttered shut. “Ya know,” he said after a long moment of silence, “it’s officially our first Valentine’s Day together.”

Sydney cracked a smile that quickly morphed into a dimpled grin. Michael leaned down to kiss her, but she pulled back just in time for his lips to land on her ear. “I don’t want you to get sick, too,” she told him firmly, yet with regret.

Michael groaned loudly, “Oh c’mon, I don’t care.” Sydney shook her head. Michael sighed, “But I want to get sick, Syd. So kiss me a lot and make me sick like you, pleeeeeease,” he whined.

“Michael Christopher,” Sydney said warningly, shoving him playfully.

“Fine,” he relented, “We can just cuddle.” Though he was obviously not happy about that. Sydney giggled, snaking her arms around his lean, but muscular waist.

After sulking for a minute, Michael ditched the pout for a grin, “We have the whole day off, what are we going to do all day?”

“Not what you’re thinking,” Sydney winked. Michael’s face fell a little, but the grin never completely left his face. “Oh, I know!” Sydney exclaimed, “We can play board games and cards, and you can paint my nails, and we can even make cupcakes!”

Michael stared at her incredulously for a moment, “Um, do I look like Francie?”

Sydney frowned, “It sounded fun to me.” Michael could see her eyes glisten over, but she quickly sniffed away any thought of tears away. He still noticed and wrapped his arms around her comfortingly.

“That does sound fun!” he said with pseudo-cheeriness. “We can do all that stuff.. okay so maybe not the nail painting,” he cringed, “but my mom has a great homemade icing recipe we can use.” He told her, this was his peace offering.

She gladly took his offering, and said, “This is going to be so fun!” Michael smiled, but didn’t quite show as much enthusiasm as Sydney. “Who needs those fancy restaurants anyway?” Sydney encouraged him, still feeling bad that they couldn’t go out, considering any food she ate came right back up.

After staying curled up in bed for nearly the whole morning, Michael was forced to get up by his growling stomach. So he ate lunch alone in the kitchen while Sydney watched The Nanny re-runs on Lifetime.

Michael ate in record time, coming back into the bedroom, deck of cards in hand. “Are you ready to lose at poker?”

Sydney smirked, “Are you ready to lose at poker?”

Michael sat down on the bed, smoothing out the bed’s comforter so he could deal the cards on top of it.

“Care to make it interesting?” he asked with a sexy raise of the eyebrow. Sydney was intrigued, urging him to continue with her eyes. “Strip poker,” he said with a delicious grin.

Sydney’s eyebrows shot up, “Okay,” she agreed, “but ground rules… don’t start something I won’t let you finish.”

Michael laughed, “Deal.” He quickly passed out five cards, announcing that ‘one-eyed jacks and kings with the ax’ were wild.

Immediately, they realized it would be impossible to tell if the other was bluffing or really had a good hand. Their years in the spy trade had taught them to have perfect poker-faces.

Michael looked down at his cards, inwardly cheering, there was no way Sydney could beat this. “Take it off, Syd,” he grinned cheekily as he laid down his four spades and a wild card – he had a flush.

“How about YOU take it off, Michael?” she smirked as she showed him her hand. Four of a kind. She had won.

Michael sighed, as he took off his tee shirt. “Ooww Ooww” Sydney cat-called at him. He gave her a pointed look, before handing her the deck of cards.

Thirty minutes later, Michael was left naked, while Sydney was still wearing a tank top, panties, and a sock.

“That certainly was interesting,” Sydney winked.

Michael grumbled, “I don’t even get to have sex after loosing. This is the gayest game of all time.”

Sydney mock pouted, batting her eyelashes at him. “It was your idea.”

Michael crossed his arms across his chest, “Well, I’m definitely winning the next one.”

“We’ll see about that,” Syd winked at him. “What do you want to play?”

“Oooh, can we play Risk? Can we? Can we?” Michael asked childishly, bouncing up and down on the bed.

Sydney raised an eyebrow, “Um, no.”

“But… Why not!?” Michael pouted.

“Because a) We don’t even own that game b) I hate it. That’s why we don’t own it.” She told him pointedly, leaning against the headboard of the bed.

“Fine, you choose?”

Sydney smiled devilishly, “Let’s play Scrabble.”

“Because that’s fair. Me versus the English major... hmm... I wonder who will win.” Michael said sarcastically, clearly not liking that idea.

“But I’m sick, I should get to play whatever I want,” she pouted, cocking her head to the side to complete the sad, pitiful puppy dog look.

“Okay, okay,” he said, disappearing down the hall to find it, Sydney watching his bare backside the whole way.

Five minutes into the game, Sydney sighed loudly, “Michael put some pants on!”

His brow furrowed, “Why?”

A blush crept up Sydney’s neck all the way to her cheeks as she revealed, “I can’t concentrate with your penis staring at me!”

“Oh. My. God.” Michael laughed loudly, trying to hide it by covering his mouth with his hands.

“I’m serious,” her blush deepened. “It’s distracting.”

Michael snorted, but conceded his girlfriend by putting on a pair of boxers topped by his favorite sweatpants.

“It’s your turn,” Sydney smiled sweetly when he sat back down. Michael rolled his eyes, carefully laying down the tiles to say C-A-T. “That’s the best you can come up with?” Sydney teased, writing down his score of five points.

She countered with the word C-Y-A-N, on a ‘Double Score’ spot, meaning she received a total of eighteen points, bringing her into a thirty point lead over Michael total.

Michael didn’t care. If everything went according to plan, it wouldn’t matter who won anyway. As the game was winding down, Michael finally received the final letter he needed.

His turn approached, and he had to wipe the sweat off his hands in anticipation. Truthfully, he had been planning this for months, and he had no idea it would involve a game of Scrabble. Still, he cautiously laid out the tiles so it formed the words M-A-R-R-Y-M-E on the board.

Sydney gasped; blinking to make sure her eyes weren’t deceiving her. They weren’t, and she already felt tears developing in the corner of her eyes.

Michael was staring at her anxiously, clearly in nervous anxiety over her answer. She wiped at her eyes, before taking three letters and placing them down.

Y-E-S.

Yes.

She said yes, Michael couldn’t conceal his overwhelming grin. She said yes. They were going to get married.

He fumbled with the box in his pocket for a second before pulling out a platinum ring, offset with three stones, a larger diamond in the middle guarded by two smaller ones.

Sydney held out her hand and allowed him to slip the ring on her finger, before throwing her arms around his neck and hugging him tightly.

When they broke apart, Michael tried to kiss her, but she quickly stopped him, holding up her index finger in the universal symbol of ‘one second’.

She fumbled with the letters on the Scrabble board for a minute before forming the word B-A-B-Y.

Michael’s brow furrowed and he questioned her with his eyes, not understanding why she was calling him a baby via Scrabble tiles.

Sydney smiled, taking his hand to place it against the flat plane of her stomach, “We’re having a baby.” She whispered, covering his hand with her own and resting her forehead against his.

“But… how?” he stuttered, still in shock.

“Greece…” she explained with a knowing smile, “I found out yesterday. My dad forced me to go to Med Services…and, uh, yeah.”

“Wow, this is… wow.”

“Good ‘wow’?”

“Amazing wow,” he grinned. “Am I allowed to kiss you now? Please… because I will beg… I seriously do not care about getting sick.”

Sydney laughed, not answering him verbally, but by brushing her lips against his. “We’re getting married and having a baby,” she stated once they had broken apart, trying to let everything sink in.

“And you thought this Valentine’s Day would suck,” he teased, leaning in for another kiss.

Fin.

:P

Awww...that is you on so many levels, Katy. :smiley:

Hope you have a wonderful V-day. You know what I wish for you... But sadly....it doesn't sound like it'll happen. Darn Mr. A....

Awww...that is you on so many levels, Katy. :smiley:

Hope you have a wonderful V-day. You know what I wish for you... But sadly....it doesn't sound like it'll happen. Darn Mr. A....
Hahah, well I'm still spending V-day with him, so that's gotta count for something, right? :Ph34r:

A blush crept up Sydney’s neck all the way to her cheeks as she revealed, “I can’t concentrate with your penis staring at me!”

“Oh. My. God.” Michael laughed loudly, trying to hide it by covering his mouth with his hands.

“I’m serious,” her blush deepened. “It’s distracting.”

hehe that was so funny :lol:
i just love that part

His turn approached, and he had to wipe the sweat off his hands in anticipation. Truthfully, he had been planning this for months, and he had no idea it would involve a game of Scrabble. Still, he cautiously laid out the tiles so it formed the words M-A-R-R-Y-M-E on the board.

:love: that was so sweet

hahahahahah!!! of course this is a Katy fic!!!
*sigh* if only V Day was a good day for me, i might have more fluffy ideas, alas, i am single, hating it, and looking... but failing. :(

we should just make up a different holiday for single people and anyone with a significant other would be excluded. Take THAT greeting card company!!

Michael sat down on the bed, smoothing out the bed’s comforter so he could deal the cards on top of it.

“Care to make it interesting?” he asked with a sexy raise of the eyebrow. Sydney was intrigued, urging him to continue with her eyes. “Strip poker,” he said with a delicious grin.
Michael sighed, as he took off his tee shirt. “Ooww Ooww” Sydney cat-called at him. He gave her a pointed look, before handing her the deck of cards.
Thirty minutes later, Michael was left naked, while Sydney was still wearing a tank top, panties, and a sock.

“That certainly was interesting,” Sydney winked.

oh yes! :woot: that was intensely Intresting! Lol.

I loved loved loved and. . .
ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS!!!
Any intention on writing a new fic?
Or a sequel. . .Cos honestly this was so amazing.
Loved all the Scrabble game to bits. . . :naughty:

Thanks for sharing! :kiss:
and like i mentioned. . .
Are you going to write something else? :angelic:

zoe :hug:

Well, my muse is very, VERY ADHD these days. I'm lucky when I can get a one-parter out every once and a while.

So, we'lll see.. maybe eventually. ;)

Well, my muse is very, VERY ADHD these days. I'm lucky when I can get a one-parter out every once and a while.

So, we'lll see.. maybe eventually. ;)
aww man. . I really hope your muse gets back into action!
I know what you mean when you just dont feel like writing though. . *depressed*
im gonna hold my thumbs and hopes on you though. . .
Maybe you could at least write another one parter?
*hopeful*
I love the saucy fun stuff in your writing.
Its fun. . . Im So used to typical fluff that im desperately seeking a mixture of both. . .
Which you posess! ^_^

Zoe

Hurrah! Excellent work katy

i was just sitting at my computer with nothing to do, trying to avoid the mountian on work and i though "hummm valentines day yest, bet there's lots of fics at aa" but as i haven't been her in agges i was scrowling down the page not recognising any of the writters but then i saw you- and i knew there was a lovely little fic waiting inside :D so thanks :D

Back