love, or something like it

Sydney rushed out of SD-6 flustered and in a hurry. She had just recieved an urgent, and definitely risky call from Vaughn. He sounded truly scared, and it wasn't often that he sounded that way.

Beads of sweat began to form along her hairline as she briskly walked into the unmarked warehouse where she and Vaughn always met. She was careful to check the reflection off of his car-the black, standard, CIA-issue lincoln- to make sure she wasn't being followed.

The cold, damp air of the warehouse stunned her slightly as she saw Vaughn sitting on top of one of the many boxes stacked up against the chain-link fencing. She took a moment to drink in his features...his touseled hair, (which he kept nervously running his fingers through) and his electric green eyes that shone with such a peaceful and beautiful passion whenever they gazed into hers.

Suddenly, those very eyes that she had fantasized about more times than were good for her, stared in her direction. They were questioning her, and Vaughn said, "Sydney?" She smiled...somehow he always made her name sound just that certain way. She began to walk again, focusing on the floor.

"Glad you could get here so quick," Vaughn said, as soon as Sydney had gotten closer to him. He was happy to see her again. He hadn't seen her since her mission in Puerto Rico, which had been over four days ago. He admitted bashfully to himself that it was hard for him to not see her for so long. Her eyes were now as questioning as his had been when she first arrived. Obviously, she was ready for buisness.

"What's up Vaughn?" she asked.

"Kendall informed me that sloane has some intel on a Rambaldi artifact. We intercepted an e-mail that Sloane sent to the Alliance asking for high clearance in Italy. Sloane's sending you to get the artifact." said Vaughn.

"What is the artifact exactly?" Sydney asked.

"Apparently it's a ring with inscriptions on it," Vaughn explained, not really sure himself what a ring would have to do with anything Rambaldi-esque.
"Oh, " Sydney replied. "What's my counter?"

"At the airport after you and Dixon separate, we'll be in an operations room waiting to forge the one you'll give to Sloane,"Vaughn said.

They were both silent, trying to think of something else to say, just so they could enjoy each other's company for just a little while longer.
"Why did you sound so upset on the phone?" Sydney asked of Vaughn, finally deciding what to say.
"Oh," Vaughn said timidly, "A-Alice and I, we, well...we broke up," he stammered, watching her eyes.

"Oh Vaughn, I'm so sorry," Sydney proclaimed, trying hard to contain her heightened heart beat. She gathered him in her arms and smiled when she heard him smell her hair. They held each other for what seemed like forever, neither wanting to disturb this fragile moment. Their feelings were ready to burst forth, each willing but scared, not knowing that they both felt the same way. Sydney melted into Vaughn's strong arms and breathed a sigh. Vaughn's fingers were caressing her head in a funny, exhilirating way that stole sydney's breath.

Protocol be damned thought Vaughn as he and Sydney finally broke apart. Vaughn could sware he saw a longing look in Sydney's eyes, but brushed it away as sympathy for his and Alice's break up. He looked away, pained at the thought of Alice. How he wanted to hold Sydney for just a little while longer, to take in the smell of her coconut-scented hair, and to grow old with her. So this is what love is like, he thought. "Have a good time in Italy. Be careful," he said.

"Thanks Vaughn," Sydney replied. She turned to leave. He had to say something....just to see her for a few seconds longer. "Sydney?" he blurted.

Yes, i get to stay just a little longer she thought as she wheeled around. "Yeah?" she said, taking a few steps back towards Vaughn.

Uh-oh. What should i say? Vaughn thought as he racked his brain for something intelligent to say. It was becoming harder and harder to think of something as Sydney kept stepping back towards him.

He had thought for so long that she was now standing right in front of him, awaiting what he wanted to say. "Uh, will you have a slice of pizza for me?" he blurted...the only thing he could think of.
"What?" Sydney chuckled, sitting back down on the crate near his feet. He sat as well. "Well, you are going to Italy aren't you?" he said... trying to salvage some of his dignity. She laughed this time, grabbing his hand. His heart flip-flopped. "Why don't you just ask me to have some spaghetti for you too? Very original, Vaughn," she laughed. He chuckled as well, what the hell, he had lost his dignity already. "Don't forget the garlic bread," he pointed out.

An awkward silence followed, their fingers still intwined. "Vaughn?" Sydney asked, inching just a little bit closer. "Can I ask you something?"
"Shoot," Vaughn said.

She was going to do it. She had made up her mind. Right now. She was going to kiss him. She didn't care about protocol, it was the ugliest eight-letter word she had ever heard. He was so cute, sitting there, holding her hand, joking about garlic bread. It was now or never.

He was going to do it. He decided, right then and there. She was so close, he could just lean over...he didn't give a felgercarb about protocol anymore. They had been through too much. She was so beautiful, sitting there, holding his hand, joking about spaghetti. It was now or never.

They both began to lean in, ready to do what they had set out to. They were determined. It was just them, and nothing else. The closer they got, the quicker Vaughn's heart beated, the more anxious Sydney became. They were so close, Vaughn raised his free hand to caress Sydney's cheek....

His beeper. Her cell phone. Kendall. Francie. Both emergencies, both highly different. Francie was having restaurant trouble, Kendall had just intercepted crucial new intel. Whispered apologies, longing looks. A hug, a hand squeeze, and they were gone.

feel free to comment. thanks! -rachel :D

thanks guys for all the kind comments... i'll be writing more soon, but i have finals this week, and i'm supposed to be studying....no thanks to this website! :D

more soon, rachel

thanks for all the nice things you guys are saying ^_^ i'll be writing more soon, but i have finals this week, and i'm supposed to be studying! (no thanks to this website!) lol... thanks again!

rachel

omg, my posts keep deleting and then re-appearing...i think i'm going crazy...or just being plain stupid... don't mind me! if i say things twice, just ignore the stupid girl with the dunce hat! :D

rachel
:stupid:

okay, here's the next installment:

Sydney left the warehouse feeling unsure of herself. Did I really just almost kiss Vaughn? she thought. Almost she reminded herself angrily. She should have just done it, just leaned in a little bit faster... and it would have happened! Why did Francie have to call with her lobster emergency at exactly the moment she was going to take things a step further?

Vaughn left the warehouse upset and depressed. Why did kendall have to call during the most intimate ten seconds of his life? On the upside, he now knew sydney felt at least something for him. Just the thought of her brought a smile to his face. He'd call her once she got to Italy...

Sydney approached Francie's restaurant even more unsure of herself. The quiet car ride over hadn't helped to sort out her thoughts. She walked through the double doors, headed for the kitchen when she heard laughter. She instinctively slowed her pace...man, i've been a spy for way too long she thought. She recognized the laughter as Will and Francie's, much more at ease than she had sounded on the phone just a half an hour before.

Sydney approached the door to the kitchen and stopped. She hated herself for eavesdropping, but Francie and Will sounded different...
(laughing) "Oh Will, thanks for comin' over and 'elping, I can't say the same for some ooother people," said Francie, in somewhat slurred speech.
"You're veeery welcome Fran," said Will, equally slurry.

Syndey realized amusedly that they were both drunk.
"Will, come 'ere and 'elp me with theese lobsteers," said Francie.
"Ooookey dokey!" cried Will, knocking over a pot on his way.
"Uh-oh...carefullll!"yelled Francie over the clang of the pot on the hard floor.
Sydney had edged her way into the door, now intent upon seeing just what the hell was going on with these two.
"Here, here....I'll get it," said Will, bumping Francie out of the way of the steaming lobsters.
"NO! I'll do it silly," said Francie. She turned to Will suddenly and said, "HEY! you're drunk! You shouldn't be drinking Will, what about getting clean?"
"Francie, you're more drunk than i am," Will pointed out.
"Doooley noted," said Francie, reaching for the lobsters. Will grabbed her hand and said, "Noo, silly! Yooull burn your hand!" They both looked down at their hands, now joined together. Then they looked up at each other for a long moment, and kissed. First lightly, then with a fierceness that could only be described as drunken idiocity.

Sydney looked away, trying hard to stifle the laughter that wanted to escape her throat. Somehow, she wasn't really suprised...Will and Francie had gotten really close in Sydney's absence. Sydney's mind absently wondered, why couldn't Vaughn and I do that?? Then she dismissed her childish thinking and silently slipped out the door.

All Sydney could think about on the flight to Italy was Vaughn. She kept picturing him the way she saw him when she had first walked into the warehouse....that hair, those eyes...god, what was he doing to her? She didn't have time to answer that particular question, the plane was touching down. She smiled over at dixon, who was sitting two rows in front of her, to the left.

Sydney was impressed with her outfit...a tight, red number and a blonde wig. She entered the swanky penthouse where she was supposed to steal the ring from a man named Salvatore Giovanni, a handsome-yet shady-power broker from the US, that had recently moved to Rome to get back to his 'roots'. She was supposed to get... *close* with him, get him to take her up to his room, drug him...and get to work.

She first noticed him across the room and made a beeline straight towards him. She picked up a glass of champagne from a waiter and brushed up against Giovanni. "Hi," she said confidently. "Hello," he said, obviously full of himself. She let her hand drift along his back, and other places she felt really disgusted about. "Wanna dance?" she asked sexily. How could he refuse?

She led him forcefully onto the dance floor, eager to get this over with. They danced for a short while, he asked her who she was-Christina McDermont-where she was from-Canada- and other annoying questions. He was in the process of asking her if she had any siblings when she saw him.

He felt extremely jealous of Giovanni when he first saw them together. That dress...damn, that dress. He forced himself to look away. She looks like she's really having a good time with him Vaughn thought angrily. She looked so elegant...he had to get over to her, to tell her why he was here.

The first thing that went through Sydney's mind was, I wonder if Vaughn is jealous. Yeah, sure. That was going to happen. Something must be wrong. Vaughn was approaching, and had an undefinable look on his face. Sydney let her eyes roam across Vaughn's features...no wonder she had fantasized about him...he looked damn good in a tux.

"Excuse me, may I cut in?" Vaughn said with the slightest hint of anger in his voice.

"Well..." Giovanni said anxiously, but before he could decline, Gydney said, "it's all right, only one dance, after that I'm all yours baby." She cast him a sexy, if-you-catch-my-drift look...which Vaughn envied with every fiber of his being.

"What are you doing here?" Sydney asked quietly, allowing herself to lean into Vaughn's strong embrace.

"We had some problems at the airport, it's taking longer to get set up then we expected. As much as I hate to say this-you're going to have to take a little bit longer with that creep," Vaughn said maliciously.

"Ahh...jealous are we?" Sydney joked.

"Well, maybe. Let's even the score," said Vaughn, expertly dipping Sydney.

"Hey, I didn't know you could dance!" Sydney exclaimed.

"Lessons...they were supposed to teach me how to be a better hockey player," Vaughn said bashfully.

"Aww, Vaughn..." Sydney said softly. She laid her head on his shoulder. The urge to kiss him was slowly making it's way to the surface again.
"Vaughn?" Sydney said, tilting her head towards his lips...no! his eyes! she reprimanded herself.
"Yeah?" he said, concentrating on his moves...twirling her around. He realized her serious tone and looked down at her. "What's up?"

"Well, it's just...I have to say something to you."

"What? Is Giovanni coming?" he asked, standing rigid.

"No, no..." said Sydney sadly, looking down. He took his hand from her back and tilted her face towards his with his finger. "Hey, you can tell me," he said.
"I...I..." she searched his face, those eyes... and leaned closer to him.

"Sydney?" he asked questioningly.

"No, just..."

And then he finally realized. Despite everything, despite protocol, the fact that she was supposed to be seducing Giovanni...she gave into herself, and kissed him. He kissed her back, and she felt his hands on her face, pushing her into the kiss. But then, all she could feel was separateness, as she was pulled away from Vaughn by Giovanni who planted a hard punch into Vaughn's jaw.

end of chapter two

tell me what you guys think! thanks! -Rachel

thanks alias, you make me feel so good. :smiley:
OMG!!!! ILOVE IT!!! MOre MORE MORE!!! I want MORE!!! IT's really, really good!!!
you're so nice! i promise there will be more very soon, finals are over friday, so at least by then!! man, i love you guys! thanks for the kind words, any feedback is great! (y)

Hey this is a GREAT story, I really love it! You have a great mixture of romance and action, it's perfect. I hope you write more soon, I can't wait!!!
Becky :smiley:

praise the lord! finals are over! i'm pleased to bring you chapter three:

Vaughn was sprawled on the floor, massaging his jaw. The room had gone quiet. Everyone was staring at the ordeal. Sydney didn't know what to do...she could have just sabotaged her entire mission. Vaughn looked contemptously up at Giovanni. A woman in the crowd gasped, and Giovanni turned to distract the crowd.
"Okay people, just a drunk guy over here, nothing to worry about. Hey! Freddy! Start the music up again will ya?" said Giovanni. Sydney took this opportunity to lock eyes with Vaughn. He understood, jumping to his feet and disappearing into the crowd. Giovanni turned around, but Sydney grabbed his arm and pulled him in the opposite direction. "Hey baby, is there anywhere more--quiet--we can go?" she asked him. In exactly two seconds he had forgotten all about Vaughn *thankfully* and had his mind on other tasks at hand.

He led her up a flight of stairs to a tastefully furnished bedroom. He wasted no time, he turned around and began to pull off the straps of her dress. She pulled away seductively, saying "Hey, let's have a drink" and handing him a heavy glass from the tray on the table near the bed. Whisky and a sedative. Talk about a night cap.

He was out in a matter of seconds and Sydney set to work. She switched on her comm with Dixon and asked, "Dixon, where's the ring located?"

He came back with, "The safe's top floor, two doors to your right." Sydney looked around confused, until she saw the security camera in the corner of the room. "Eww, that's really disgusting!" she said, thinking of if she hadn't said no to Giovanni, if she weren't a spy. She waved to Dixon in the camera which he had obviously tapped. "Thanks Dixon," she said, reaching into Giovanni's coat and taking his pass code.

"Oh, Syd, by the way, nice moves in there," said Dixon.

"Gee thanks Dixon," she said laughing.

She cracked open the door and slid out undetected. She made her way two doors down and punched in the code for the door. She took another glance around before popping open the door and heading in. Once inside, she found the safe behind a gaudy painting of a naked woman. "Figures," Sydney muttered under her breath. She pulled out the cell phone Marshall had given her and held it to the lock. It popped open easily and she reached inside. There was nothing there. "What the hell?" she said questioningly. Then she felt something in the back and lifted it up to reveal a secret compartment...low and behold, there was the ring. Sydney examined the markings, and sure enough...that creepy Rambaldi symbol was right there on the side.

She slipped the ring into her purse along with the cell phone and closed the safe, swinging the painting back into place. She turned around poised, but surprisingly enough, there was no henchman behind her. There was always a henchman. Man, Giovanni was stupid. She waltzed out the door, through the front, undetected.

Vaughn knew it was stupid to hang around waiting for Sydney, but something made him stay. He made sure he was at least in the shadows while he waited for Sydney to emerge. Then, there she was...in a rush of red satin, it almost took his breath away. Her cheeks were slightly flushed, she looked so beautiful. He stood up and called her on her phone.

Sydney's phone was ringing suddenly. Her heart skipped a beat. Could that be Vaughn? she thought. She picked it up, "Hello?"

"Hey," he said. Her heart skipped another few beats. He was really doing something to her. "How'd it go?" he asked.

"I got it," she replied, fingering the ring nervously in her handbag.

"Good. Hey, you looked...beautiful tonight," he said quietly.

"Thanks, so did you," she said...immediately smacking herself in the head.

Seeing her smack herself in the head made him realize how much he cared about her. Just the fact that she was human and could say stupid stuff just like him made her even more beautiful, standing there in the Italian moonlight. Italy rocks he thought. he would love this place for the rest of his life. he kissed sydney bristow here. Yep, Italy definitely rocks.

"Vaughn? You there?" Sydney asked. He hadn't said anything for awhile. Then she saw something out of the corner of her eye. She turned and knew immediately that it was him. He had his back to her, one foot propped on the bench in front of him. He was running his free hand through his hair. Sydney shivered. Seeing him do that always gave her goosebumps.

"What? Oh yeah, yeah...I'm here," he said. She made her way as quietly as her heels would allow her over to Vaughn. She walked up right behind him and whispered in his ear, "Yeah, you are." He jumped about a half a mile. Sydney laughed so hard her eyes started to water. "You know, for a CIA agent, you get scared really easily," Sydney said.

He smiled at her despite the fact that his entire ego had been flattened like a pancake in exactly two seconds. Whatever, he didn't care. Sydney Bristow was wearing a tight red dress. How could he care?

She finally stopped laughing and plopped down on the bench. Vaughn sat down beside her. They sat in silence for a few seconds, and then Sydney blurted, "I saw Francie and Will kiss today."

Vaughn turned to her and said, shocked, "What?!"

Sydney smiled and said, "They were drunk."

"Ahh, makes more sense now,"said Vaughn. "You're not drunk are you?" he asked.

"No, why would you say that?" Syd questioned.

"Well...because we... in there..." he stopped short.

"Oh, Vaughn, no," she said seriously, grabbing his hand. "No, that...that was not because I was drunk. You know better than that."

"Oh, okay," he said quietly.

She scooted closer to him and leaned her head on his shoulder. He put his head on top of hers...his new trademark was smelling her hair. She smiled and scooted a bit closer. There were no cameras out here...

She tilted her face towards his, it didn't take much for him to get the point this time. He smiled at her, her knees felt weak, even though she was sitting. "Vaughn I wanted to tell you before, I think I'm--"
"There! Over there! That's her! In the red dress!!" yelled Giovanni. Oh craptastic Sydney thought angrily as her adrenaline went into auto-pilot and she pulled Vaughn up from the bench.

They were flying through the soft Italian breeze in vaughn's car. They had lost the henchman (turns out Giovanni wasn't as stupid as he looked) long ago, but you can never be too careful. Vaughn pulled off the paved road onto a rocky one, and they bumped along for about a mile. They pulled in front of a beautiful log cabin with a small vineyard for a backyard. "Oh, Vaughn, it's so beautiful..."Sydney gasped.

"Yeah, this was our summer home when I was little," Vaughn replied. "I didn't know where else to go. I was afraid to go back to the safehouse, in case we led them there. So, here we are." Syd smiled at the thought of little Vaughn running around in the vineyard.
"So, welcome to the Hotel de Vaughn," he said with a grand gesture. "Looks like we'll be spending the night."

Oh felgercarb Sydney thought. Did he just say that, or did I imagine him saying it? I'm spending the night with Michael Vaughn, who is currently wearing a tuxedo, and looking extremely good? Dear god...this is going to be torture.

Damnit Vaughn thought. Did I just say that out loud? I'm spending the night with Sydney Bristow, who is currently wearing a tight red dress and looking extremely sexy? Dear god...this is going to be torture.

Back