Love This Way

SkyGirl5

Cadet
:hi:

okay, so after the initial PM there will be no PMs for this fic as well
just out of curiosity, does that really bother people?

anyway, this fic is.. it's kinda wierd and by the end of the first chap you'll see why... but i like this idea and it was fun
just a little warning though - if you guys are kinda squeamish about reading semi ER-ish type things beware towards the end of the chapter - its not too bad i just dont want ya'll fainting off your chairs if u werent warned :lol:

---------------------------------------------------------
Chapters:
Chapter 1 (below) Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8 Chapter 9 Chapter 10
Chapter 11 Chapter 12 Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Chapter 15 Chapter 16 Chapter 17 Chapter 18 + Epilogue
----------------------------------------------------------

Title: Love This Way
Genre: S/V AU minimal angst
Summary: Surgical intern Sydney Bristow faced the hardest case of her life when Michael Vaughn was her patient. A year later, he comes back into her life meaning to thank her, but he might just do a lot more than that.

18 chapters

Chapter 1
Looking back, she would hardly remember any of it. Then again, with so much chaos, mayhem and stress, remembering specific things would have been difficult anyway. She remembered bits and pieces, gory flashes, screams, but most of all – him. He was the one that would forever be burned in her mind; he was the one she’d never forget.

It was a raw, cold, rainy day in the middle of June. So unseasonably cold, that you could almost see your breath hang frozen for a moment in front of you when you exhaled. Well, not quite; with temperatures not quite fifty degrees, that wasn’t likely, but it felt that way when the cold rain pelted against the skin like sharp pricks of ice sinking all the way down to your bones and numbing them.

Just an ordinary, slightly chilly, rainy day in Chicago; that’s how it began. However, it would end in tragedy. At five twenty-three P.M., during the height of the evening commute, the ‘L’ train was barreling along its tracks, full of people anxious to get home after a long day of work. They were tried, cold, hungry and grumpy. They just wanted out of there. Unfortunately, the out they received, wasn’t exactly what they were searching for.

No one quite knew why, but the train derailed. Not only did it derail, but three of its cars clattered and spilled off the tracks and fell two stories to the streets below. Looking at it, it was difficult to determine where more damage was suffered: the trains’ passengers, who were caught in amongst the twisted metal of the cars, or the helpless people on the streets below, who had been crushed and pinned helplessly beneath the train. Screams and cries for help filled the air as well as the roar of sirens, the gentle sound of the rain pounding against the pavement and the sickening sound of metal twisting and crunching as the cars settled and moved or were ripped apart by rescue crews.

For her, a young intern, just about to graduate medical school, it was a horror only seen in the worst of nightmares. She was just barely twenty-six-years old and at the top of her class, one of the best surgical residents County Hospital had ever seen. She had aced all her classes, spent hours awake at night studying and going over procedures, learning them to a T. But this… this was no procedure. This was raw; this was unimaginable.

People were shouting at her from every direction. She didn’t know where to go first. Her only instinct was to stand in the middle of it all and scream, ‘I’m a student. I can’t do this!’. But that was only the fear talking. Deep down, she knew she could do this, it would just be the hardest thing she had ever done.

She began following the instructions given to her: label as many people as possible so that they can be categorized. Unfortunately, this wasn’t a time to save everyone, for there were too many that would need such extensive work, only to end up dying anyway. Prioritization was key. There were three categories of labels: stable, critical and DOA.

Her hands trembling, she place a ‘DOA’ label on a man with a metal rod through his chest. Though he was still alive, there would be no way he’d survive even another hour, surgery or not. She knelt down, gave him a shot of morphine to keep him comfortable and then moved on to the next injured soul.

For a half hour she moved from injury to injury in a total blur. With each passing person, the scene became more and more surreal. There were doctors, EMTs and other emergency personnel everywhere, but it didn’t seem to be enough. There were just too many victims.

“SYDNEY!” she heard her name being shouted across the ruined street. She looked in the direction of the noise and saw her superior, Dr. Yarnell, waving and ushering her towards him. She quickly dodged her way though other people and ran over to him.

“Yes?”

“Come with me; I need your help,” he said as he grabbed her hand and pulled her along with him. They wove through scattered people all the way to the center of all the horror, the crashed train cars. For a moment, Sydney was almost overwhelmed by the sight and smell of blood everywhere. She squinted her eyes and looked down towards her feet, trying to take deep breaths to calm herself.

“Sydney, inside here is a man who needs help but, unfortunately,” he cleared his throat and rubbed his slightly rounded belly. “I can’t fit through.”

“I got it,” she said. Taking a deep breath, she crawled her way through the twisted, mangled metal, trying not to cut or injure herself in the process. About halfway through the car, she found a man, whose head was being supported by a fireman giving him oxygen. He was covered in so much blood that Sydney didn’t know where his injuries were exactly. She put on her rubber gloves and tried to take a closer look.

“Sir, I’m Doctor Bristow,” she said loud enough for the trembling man to hear. “I’m just going to take a look here.”

Slowly, she moved her hands across his arms, and found that while they had a few scratches, there were no major injuries. Then, she moved to his head. There was a cut above his eye, but again, not major. Finally, she saw the source of the blood. There was a very large gash across his chest, one that was bleeding rather profusely.

She pulled gauze from her pocket and pressed it down over the wound. “We need to get him to the hospital; he’s losing so much blood,” she said to the fireman.

“Look there,” the fireman shouted and pointed down towards the man’s feet.

Sydney looked, confused, and when she saw what the fireman had been pointing at, she had to fight not to let out a scream. While this man’s right leg appeared to be fine, his left was crushed, actually more like mangled, beneath some metal.

She slowly made her way over to it and tried to see the true damage through he blood that was pouring out and down onto the floor below. At first glance, she saw an innumerable amount of complex fractures with splinters of his shin bone everywhere. Taking a closer look, she saw that most of the damage was to his foot, which was helplessly pinned under a large section of debris.

“Is there any way we can move this?” Sydney called out to the firemen.

He shook his head and answered in the negative, “Nah, tried that already. It won’t budge.”

Taking a deep breath, she tried to clear her mind for a moment, thinking of any possible solution other than the one prominent in her mind, but there was none. Slowly, she crawled back to the injured man’s head and took a deep, calming breath. “Sir, you’re losing a lot of blood. We need to get you to the hospital or you’re going… you’re not going to make it. Right now, your leg is crushed and it’s pinned under all this metal that we cannot move. Chances are, even if we were able to get you out, your leg wouldn’t be useable anyway. I’m going to remove the bottom part of your leg to-” she was cut off by the man choking and trying to speak. She leaned in and lifted his oxygen mask off enough for him to speak.

“No…hockey…,” he choked.

“You’re a hockey player?” she offered. He nodded as much as he could. Then, she looked down at his shirt and saw the Chicago Black Hawks logo on it very faintly. “Sir, can you tell me your name?”

“Michael,” he managed.

“Michael, listen to me. If I don’t remove your leg, you won’t get to the hospital in time; you won’t even have a chance. I’m sorry, but this is your only option,” she told him sadly. He simply closed his eyes.

Taking that as a go ahead response, she looked up to the fireman and said, “I need supplies, I’ll be right back.” She crawled out of the train car and was met immediately by Dr. Yarnell, who was looking for a report. “He’s trapped…pinned by his leg… it’s completely shattered, there are bone fragments everywhere…”

“You’re going to cut it off,” he said more as an instruction than a question.

She gave a nod and raised her trembling hand to her face. “I don’t… don’t know if I can do this.”

“Yes, you can Sydney, I know you can,” Dr. Yarnell said firmly. She took a deep breath and brushed a tear from the corner of her eye; she only hoped that was true.

wow loved the start!! cant wait to read more!!

i dont reallycare that i dont get PMs b/c when u do try i never get it and its more convinant (sp?) when i do get them, but i never do so why try?!

so hum what... he lost a foot? that was very... descriptive. :lol:
hope he can play hockey again! (with his 2 legs lol)
love it!

Great start! I can't wait for more.

I don't care about the PM since I check the thread every day to see if you updated.

Oh god :(
This is so sad :(
He's going to lose his foot 🇳🇴
And he's a hockey player...
I can't wait to see what's going to happen next
Please update again soon because I really want to see where you'll be going with this fic

Taking a deep breath, she tried to clear her mind for a moment, thinking of any possible solution other than the one prominent in her mind, but there was none. Slowly, she crawled back to the injured man’s head and took a deep, calming breath. “Sir, you’re losing a lot of blood. We need to get you to the hospital or you’re going… you’re not going to make it. Right now, your leg is crushed and it’s pinned under all this metal that we cannot move. Chances are, even if we were able to get you out, your leg wouldn’t be useable anyway. I’m going to remove the bottom part of your leg to-” she was cut off by the man choking and trying to speak. She leaned in and lifted his oxygen mask off enough for him to speak.

“No…hockey…,” he choked.

“You’re a hockey player?” she offered. He nodded as much as he could. Then, she looked down at his shirt and saw the Chicago Black Hawks logo on it very faintly. “Sir, can you tell me your name?”

“Michael,” he managed.

“Michael, listen to me. If I don’t remove your leg, you won’t get to the hospital in time; you won’t even have a chance. I’m sorry, but this is your only option,” she told him sadly. He simply closed his eyes.
God I can't believe she's going to cut off his leg!!! Awesome start!! Can't wait till next chapter.

This is so exciting. I loved every bit of it!

Obs: I like having my pms and all but on the other hand I really don't mind coming here looking for the chapter, so don't worry about it. Fine by me.

Oh wow! This is a great fic already!!! :D Ooh I'm excited! :woot: I love medical plots in fics! :smiley:

Oh, and the no pms thing doesn't bother me at all. I know that you update every day, so I know where to find it, and approximately when I can find it. The only time we should get PMs is if you update at night, as you have a couple of times, and when it's a new fic. :smiley:

This sounds suspiciously like a Grey's Anatomy episode!! tee hee!!

OMG, are we going to have a footless Vaughn? That's um.. no. Vaughn has to be whole!!

And the initial PM and then no PM's don't bother me at all b/c I know that, barring website "problems" you update your stuff everyday so I can always find it... so wasting your time on PM's every day seems silly to me!!

Great start.. please make Vaughn whole though..

OOOOH, I can't wait to read the rest of this fic! What an awesome beginning...I don't mind about the PMs because I know where to find your fics.

janet hes gonna lose a foot
omg where do u pull this stuff from
btw u dont have to send me pm's anymore i read ur stuff at ur site but thanks

Surgical intern Sydney Bristow faced the hardest case of her life when Michael Vaughn was her patient. A year later, he comes back into her life meaning to thank her, but he might just do a lot more than that.

At first I was getting all those naughty thoughts.... leave it to cookie to that kind of imagination :rolleyes:

Then I read the chapter... duh! and I was more like (n) My mood has changed! Jesus this is your best chapter ever!!!!!!! I mean.... it's not just random detailed about some daily stuff you see so this was beyond amazing ^_^

I tried to write in one of my fics a car crash and I was more crying than anything else... I wonder how long it took you to write that first chapter! And I'm even more anxious for tomorrow to read the next update and see how this story develops

Poor Vaughn though :cry: and Syd had to cut his foot off? Is it the foot or the leg?... below the knee? I'm confused :thinking:

Oh... one last thing...what does DOA mean?

Thanks...your addicted cookie :lol:

ETA: No need to send me PMs except when you post new fics ;) I know you update everyday and I always figured how you managed sending soooooooooooo MANY PM's out to everybody EVERY day... it takes half a lifetime especially when the board's servers keep crashing down :angry:

Hi Janet,

First...do not worry about the pms. We all know you update everyday so no problem. As long as you let us know when you post a new one...then I think that is okay.

Now for this new fic....interesting start but I feel bad if hockey player Vaughn will loose his leg!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can't wait to see if Syd can save his leg.... :eek: :eek:

Back