Love This Way

Next time I won't be eating a cheeseburger while reading this. :blink:

I hope Sydney gives Michael enough drugs that he's rendered unconscious and that firefighter closes his eyes.

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

Wow... I'm trembling already, that was a hell of a chapter!

About PM, I haven't got that in a very long time anyway (I know it's not your fault, but the boards), so it doesn't really matter to me. I can always look for the chapter.

I don't mind not getting PM's but just out of curiosity... is there any way to put a link up at the end of each chapter for the following chapter. I've seen a couple of fics do this and is a great help when I've missed a couple of days! No problem, if not. Just wondering!

Thanks again!
i can try to start doing that... assuming i remember

Next time I won't be eating a cheeseburger while reading this. :blink:
oh no i'm sorry!!!
that is why i put up that warning though ;)

just out of curiosity, does that really bother people?
Uhh yeah kinda.. lol PM's made life lots easier lol well for me, coz i always got them. But you're the one that has to send them and i'd much rather get a fic and no pm than nothing at all. lol

Woah.. im loving this idea.. poor Michael though :( But im sure Syddie will help him through it ;)

Aly..x

P.S and i think that's a good idea too, to put a link to each chapter.. maybe you could make a list on the first page or something? just with like
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
etc?
Just a thought ;) lol

NO!!!!!!!

Don't let him loose his foot! He NEEDS that foot! Oh PLEASE tell me he is going to be okay and with two feet in the end! PLEASE!

Oh BTW I don't mind not getting these PMs. I can always count on you updating everyday. Unless of course AA is down.

the PM thing doesn't BOTHER me that much - but I agree that maybe you should start linking your chapters, that way if you do miss a few days you don't have to wade through 15 pages of comments...

P.S and i think that's a good idea too, to put a link to each chapter.. maybe you could make a list on the first page or something? just with like
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
etc?
Just a thought ;) lol
that's a good idea - i'll do that instead of putting a link after each chapter

ps-i fixed my sig!
thank you!

ETA: ha wrong fic chapter - that was bound to happen one of these days
Chapter 2
After collecting as many supplies as she could gather, Sydney crawled her way back into the train car. “Alright, here’s what we’re going to do,” Sydney said to both the firemen and Michael. “We’re going to remove the leg, wrap it, and then we need to get him out of here as quickly as possible. There’s an ambulance waiting outside, but we need a way to get him out.”

“It’s wide enough to slide him through there, isn’t it?” the firemen asked, gesturing with one hand through the opening Sydney had just crawled through.

“I think so… but we’ll need a back brace,” she said.

“Got it,” the fireman gestured beside him. Sydney saw the brace she hadn’t noticed before and nodded.

Then, she turned to Michael. “Okay Michael, we’re going to get started. Do you know if you’re allergic to morphine or any other medications?”

“Not… allergic…,” he managed.

“Okay,” she said. She took out a syringe and gave him a shot of morphine in his arm. As she went to move away, he grabbed her hand. She looked up at him and saw utter terror in his eyes, not that she expected anything different. “You’re going to be okay. We’re going to get through this,” she said in a manner as though she was trying to convince herself as well. Then, she moved down to his injured leg.

A ruined, mangled train car was not the ideal place to perform surgery, as one could imagine, but they had no other choice. Sydney first assessed where exactly to remove his leg, since so much of it was already cut and ripped by the metal. She decided on a spot about four inches above his ankle, knowing that it was possible that more of his leg would need to be removed, but that would be enough to get him out of his trapped position since it was mostly just his foot and ankle that were pinned. Luckily, cutting the bone wasn’t necessary, since it was already shattered to bits; the only tricky part was working around the veins and arteries.

As she began to cut, she fell into her surgical haze. When in surgery, nothing in the outside world matters. It all fades away and all that’s left in focus is the patient and the surgeon. High stakes are typical; in this case, the stakes were even higher. It was the first time she was performing surgery without another doctor hovering over her shoulder, and this wasn’t a simple, typical procedure that was performed millions of times a year (such as an appendectomy, something she could probably do in her sleep). This was removing someone’s limb. With each cut, she was taking away his ability to walk. He could no longer wear two shoes. He couldn’t walk; he couldn’t run. Worst of all, he couldn’t skate.

She couldn’t allow herself to think about that though, for it almost made her cry. She needed to stay focused. She needed to work as quickly and efficiently as possible.

“Uh, doctor?” came the wary voice of the fireman. “He’s not looking so good.”

“Take his pulse,” she called back.

“It’s real low,” the fireman said a moment later.

“Damn it, he’s losing too much blood,” she hissed. Just a few more minutes, that’s all she needed. “Are you keeping pressure on his chest wound?”

“Yeah…,” the fireman said warily.

“Okay… get the back brace ready,” she told him. Then, with a final few cuts and clamps, she was done. She wrapped a towel around what was left of his leg and said, “Let’s go!”

They loaded Michael, who had completely lost consciousness, onto the back brace and Sydney crawled out first, dragging him behind her, followed by the fireman. “LET’S GO!! Come on, people!” Dr. Yarnell’s voice boomed the moment Sydney appeared. EMTs rushed forward and pulled the back brace from the ground and lifted Michael up into the ambulance.

“I’m going with him,” Sydney announced as she made her way to the ambulance. Dr. Yarnell opened his mouth to protest but she cut him off. “I started this; I’m going to finish it.”

Once inside the ambulance, Sydney noticed that her clothes were soaked in blood, most of it, presumably Michael’s. The EMTs were already hooking him up to an IV of blood, but she only hoped that he hadn’t lost too much already. She took off her rubber gloves and threw them down on the floor of the ambulance. Then, she reached out and took Michael’s hand. She wasn’t going to lose him; she wouldn’t let him die.

~*~

Hours upon hours of grueling surgery later, it was finished. Michael had lost part of his leg, but his life had been saved by a young, stubborn doctor, who refused to give up on him even after the second time his heart stopped during surgery. He made it through, though, and he was in recovery.

Sydney refused to go home. She simply showered at the hospital and crashed on one of the beds in the surgical lounge. She had ordered the nurses to come and get her when Michael woke up; she wanted to be the one to tell him about the surgery.

Finally, after a few hours, she was roused from her sleep and she slowly made her way to the post-op critical care area. Michael was propped up on a few pillows, breathing tube down his throat and a large gash stitched above his eye. For the first time, Sydney really looked at him and, shockingly, she recognized him. Her roommate had a boyfriend who had been obsessed with hockey, namely the Black Hawks. This man, Michael Vaughn, she recalled his last name, had been the star player of that past season. Suddenly, she felt awful for him.

Just as she approached, his breathing tube was being removed and he was coughing and sputtering, but he looked over at her when she stood beside him. “Hey,” he managed to croak.

“How are you feeling, Mr. Vaughn?” she asked.

“Like I lost a leg,” he said hoarsely.

She smiled softly. “Well, you’ll be happy to know that your surgery went well. We were able to stitch up the end of your leg, as well as fix that cut across your chest,” she told him.

“How much did you cut off?” he asked, referring to the leg.

“You have about ten inches below your knee left. Everything else…,” she let her voice drift off.

He looked away. “Guess that puts skating out of the picture, huh?” he jested rather bitterly.

“I’m sorry, Michael,” Sydney said sadly. “I saw your games though; you were a great player this season.”

He turned his head back to look at her. “You watch hockey?” he asked in surprise.

She shrugged. “My roommate did… I caught a few games here and there.”

He nodded. “Can I ask you something? I mean… this sounds totally rude, but, how old are you? Because you look way too young to be a surgeon…”

She laughed softly. “I’m twenty-six; I graduate from med school next week.”

“It’s good I didn’t know that before; I wouldn’t have let you touch me,” he said, playfulness evident in his voice.

She laughed again. “Well, you should get some rest, Mr. Vaughn.”

She turned to walk away, but he called her back, “Doctor?”

She turned and said, “It’s Sydney.”

“Sydney,” he repeated as he lifted his hand slightly. She reached out and squeezed it. “Thank you.”

She gave him a smile and a nod. “You’re welcome.”

Feel bad for Vaughn losing a foot, but when it comes down to losing a body part, or your life, I know which one I'd choose.

Can't wait for more. Totally lovin this fic.

Back