Loving You Isn't Easy

Bubbles

Those piercing baby blues
Hey guys! I'm Bubbles and this is one of my fics that I have at www.alias-media.com/allies and I've had requests to start posting at a forum site, so here I go.

NOTE: I'm not going to be sending out PMs simply because I don't have time and I rarely come to this site... really sorry guys!!

Disclaimer:
I don’t own ALIAS. I’m not trying to make money, or breaching Copyright or anything else that I could be accused of, so please don’t sue me.

A/N:
I pretty much made this up on the spot. I came up with a really insane idea and I just opened Word up and started typing. It’s set in college and the first (who knows how many?) chapters make this seem like a fic that has the basic s/v high school fic (I love the high school fluff fics!), but then I realised that I could come up with a better plot and believe me, there is a better plot on the way with lots of spy stuff in it. Oh, by the way, Syd is in no way a geek in this. I edited it, but there’s probably still a few mistakes in there. Please tell me if you spot any (which I bet you will) so I can fix them.

What is the equivelant of reviewing at a forum site... posting a reply?? Well please do!! xoxo Bubbles

Chapter One

Sydney Bristow stared at her notebook and tried to listen to her teacher but nothing that was being said was registering in her mind. She was in History class and she knew she should probably be concentrating but for some reason she couldn’t. She frowned. This wasn’t like her.

She looked around and realised that even though it was already into the fifth week, she didn’t know half of her class. Her eyes travelled from person to person before settling on a guy in the row in front of her to the right. His hair colour was between a dirty blonde and a gorgeous brown. He looked tall and fit. She frowned. Of course, she’d seen him on the track early in the morning a few times when she had gone to run there herself. She stared at him and took in every line, every hair on his face, she took in the tiny bits of stubble on his cheeks before roving her eyes up and down his body. He was gorgeous. There was no denying that. He turned his head to the left and Sydney got her first glimpse of his eyes. She couldn’t help letting out a gasp. They were a gorgeous green, but not any type of green she’d seen before. They were a piercing green and even though she had only got a second glimpse of them, they were so-

“Miss Bristow? Miss Bristow? Are you paying attention?”

She blinked and looked up at her teacher’s frowning face and sighed. “Yes, Mr Danker.”

He kept his gaze at her a while longer before continuing to talk about Medieval Times and Sydney found herself not paying attention again and her eyes had once again shifted to the guy. And she felt her stomach turn. He looked back and met her gaze and he smiled. He smiled at her! She smiled back and in that one moment, she felt some sort of connection. The bell rang and she heard her teacher’s words.

“So I want everyone to read chapters 3-4 and next lesson we will discuss them next lesson. Class dismissed.”

She frowned to herself. If she had payed the slightest attention the whole class, she might not have to catch up on the last chapter that they had just covered in class. She grabbed her books and her backpack before heading out the door and the guy was in front of her. She could almost inhale his scent and it was making her feel queasy. He turned right and she turned left toward her locker but she kept her head turned back and continued staring at him before-

“Whoa there!”

She had slammed into someone and her books had flown out of her hands. She turned her head forward and looked at who had spoken. It was Will Tippin one of her best friends and Francie Calfo her other best friend.

“God, sorry Will.”

He looked at her closely. “Are you okay? You’re never this clumsy.”

“I’m fine. You know, just tired.” She faked a yawn to emphasize her point. No way was she telling him the truth. That she was too busy staring at the hottest guy she had ever in her life seen. She felt her cheeks starting to warm and looked at Francie who raised her eyebrows and jerked her head to the direction in which the guy had walked. She stared at Syd, hard, and then back in the direction of the gorgeous boy then put on a look of lust. Sydney knew exactly what she was trying to say and glared at her and jerked her head towards Will. Francie understood and gave her a slight nod. She exhaled in relief. She loved Will and all, but she wasn’t prepared to talk to him about her love life. It just wasn’t… right. She looked at Will to make sure he hadn’t understood what had happened but the look on his face was one of total bewilderment. She laughed.

“Guys, how the hell do you understand that?” He started shaking his head. “Is it a girl thing? I mean what’s wrong with the usual guy thing. Watch.” He grabbed the nearest guy to him and slapped him on the back. “Yo man! What’s up?” Sydney and Francie tried to not laugh. Will had chosen the worst boy. It was Marshall, the geeks of all geeks (A/N: Aww! I hate to be mean to Marshall!) Will looked at him and his jaw dropped. He let him go and quickly the three of them ran out of the doors laughing.

Sydney turned to Will. “Tell me that thing again about the usual guy thing.”

Francie was still laughing. “Did you see his face? It was like he had just won the lottery or something. I don’t ever think anyone who has an IQ of below 200 has ever spoken to him!”

“Come on you two, it usually works… you just got to do it with the right guy. It usually feels good.”

Sydney wrinkled her nose. “Will, that did not come out right. Anyway, do you guys want to go grab some pizza at Joey’s?”

Will shook his head. “Sorry, I can’t. If I don’t hand in this assignment in on Monday my teacher is going to kill me. Not the best impression to put on the teachers so early in the year.”

“Will, have you ever actually put a good impression on a teacher?”

He faked a look of hurt and started walking backwards. “That hurt Bristow, that hurt.” He turned around and started off in the direction of his home.

“Bye Will!” she yelled after him. He raised his hand in response.

Sydney looked at Francie who was still amused by the whole situation. Sydney grabbed her arm and dragged her in the opposite direction before she could say anything more to Will.

“Oh come on Syd! I had a really good comeback for him.” Sydney smiled and slapped her playfully. The two kept talking and were soon seated at Joey’s Pizza with a pepperoni pizza in between them. Francie was through her second slice before she realised that Syd had barely eaten anything; she was just picking at her slice and staring through the window.

“Syd?”

She snapped her head towards Francie. “Huh?” she blurted out.

“What’s up? You’ve barely eaten anything… wait is this about that guy you were staring at?”

She smiled and looked down at her slice of pizza. “Maybe.”

Francie sighed. “He’s SO hot.”

“You think I didn’t notice?” She it her lip, not sure if she should ask Fran more questions. She was not in the mood for another one of Fran’s attempts to set her up with a guy, but she was dying to know more about him. “Do you know who he is? What’s his name?”

“He’s in my biology class… oh god, what’s his name?” She frowned as she tried to remember. “Uh… oh yeah, Michael. Michael Vaughn.” She sighed and kept talking about how his girlfriend must be the luckiest girl in the world.

But Syd wasn’t listening. “Vaughn?” she whispered more to herself than to Francie. Francie nodded and took another bite of pizza. Sydney closed her eyes and thought back. Where had she heard that name before? She tried to remember, but all she could remember was her father with two other men in the living room. She frowned. What’s that got to do with the name Vaughn?

“Syd? What’s happening? You can’t be that love struck with just a name.”

“No, it just seems like I’ve heard that before…” she shook her head but a picture of him envisioned itself and her eyes became dreamy.

“Whoa, Syd! You got a crush on him?” Francie was looking at her expectantly.

“Yeah, I… guess I do.”

“Just be careful, ok? You don’t want to end up with someone like Andy.”

“Ugh! Don’t remind me about him. The two-timing jerk… wait a minute. You’re acting like Michael’s my boyfriend or something.”

“Well, he could be couldn’t he?” Sydney raised an eyebrow at her.

“Oh, come on, Syd! You’re gorgeous, smart, talented, funny… you could go get any guy you wanted.” Sydney’s cheek warmed at the thought of Michael as her boyfriend. Eating dinner with him, watching movies with him, holding his hand, kissing him… ok, best not to go there, but she couldn’t stop now that she’d started. She imagined what it would be like to kiss him. She blinked and forced herself to stop thinking of him.

“Anyway, so how’s life so far?

“It’s great but Syd, you’re in none of my classes!”

“What about Will? Isn’t he in a couple of yours?”

“Yeah, but…”

“Fran! I don’t have you or Will in a single of my classes! Consider yourself lucky!!”

They continued talking, but Syd’s mind was only half in the discussion. She was still thinking about Michael, and then of course his name. Vaughn. She didn’t know what to make of it. They finished the pizza before Francie headed back to her dorm and Syd to her house that the shared with her father. She looked in her bag for her keys and she suddenly remembered where her keys were: on the kitchen table. She went through her bag again and found a paperclip and bent it out and picked the lock. (A/N: I don’t know if it is physically possible to pick a lock with a piece of wire, but it makes sense so I used it since I couldn’t think of anything else.) The door swung open silently. She tossed the paperclip back into her bag and wondered how exactly she knew how to pick a lock. She closed the door behind her and thought. A lot of things in her life were strange. She just had little skills that she had no idea if she had been taught or if she just picked them up through her life.

She walked into the kitchen and on the table was a note with familiar writing. She picked it up and read it.

Sydney,
I’m going to be working late tonight, so I can’t join you for dinner.
Dad.

She sighed and felt sadness building up inside her. Her father was a complicated man. When she was little, she could remember that her father and her mother were both there for her. And the biggest concern was probably not losing her favourite teddy bear. Then her mother died when she was six and her whole life changed. Of course, losing your mother is never easy. But it seems to Sydney that that was when her life took a serious turn. Her father was mostly affected by Laura, her mother’s death. He closed himself up on the rest of the world and Sydney, being very small had no one to look up to. She now remembered the countless nannies she had been through. It almost seemed to her that she had raised herself. Her father had taken comfort in his job, exporting airplane parts. He literally dropped off the face off the earth. Sydney couldn’t remember the last time that she had talked to her father. Like, really talked to her father. It was strange. They could talk about the most complicated things, politics, the environment, current affairs but she had no idea what her dad’s favourite food was, what his favourite colour was. She didn’t even know what his laugh sounded like. She had gotten used to it over the past 11 years, but it still hurt.

She walked over to the mantelpiece and looked sadly at a picture of her when she was little on her dad’s shoulders. She brushed her finger along the frame. Her father looked so happy there; just enjoying a picnic with his daughter and his wife… she looked to the left of the picture and saw her mother. Tears welled up in her eyes. She missed her mother so much. She had been so beautiful. She shook her head and cleared her thoughts before she started bawling in the middle of the den.

She headed into the kitchen and opened the fridge, thinking of what to eat. She stared at the food and was totally uninspired. She sighed. Looked like another night of ready made dinners. She grabbed a box, peeled the cardboard off and put in the microwave to warm up. She grabbed her books out of her bag, and studied while she ate. She started reading through her English book and cringed. Every poem was about romance. She’d actually managed to stop thinking about him in the past hour or so, but this was not helping her at all. Sydney slammed her book shut and went into the den to watch TV. She flicked through the channels till something interesting came on. She snuggled into the couch and realised what it was. Sleepless In Seattle; every romantic’s favourite movie. Man, it was like the whole world had come up with a scheme that would not let her forget about Michael. Still, she stayed and watched the whole movie before climbing into bed to do more studying. She forced herself to stop thinking about Michael as she studied and worked steadily for an hour more before turning off her nightlight and going to sleep, thinking about who else but Michael Vaughn.

Next day
Study Period

Michael Vaughn looked up from his book and felt that something was wrong. He slowly took in the scene in the room. He didn’t move his head, just his eyes.

“Weiss!” he hissed to his friend next to him. Weiss looked up and answered.

“Yeah?”

“Is it just me, or is every girl in the room staring at me?” Weiss looked around and grinned.

“Nope, every girl really is staring at you.” Michael raised his eyebrows and looked back down at his book. He heard sigh somewhere to the left of him and he looked left out of the corner of his eye and saw a girl who he would never look twice at with her head propped up on her right hand with a dreamy look in her eyes who quickly averted her attention away from him. He heard Weiss s****** next to him and he turned to him.

“Shut up!” Weiss was still silently laughing. Michael rolled his eyes in exasperation and put his books in his backpack.

“What the hell are you doing?”

“Eric, man, you would love to be in my shoes. But believe me, it is NO fun.”

Weiss looked at him, bewildered. “How the hell could you not enjoy this? You have chicks hanging onto you right from New York to Sacramento!”

Michael gave him a blank look. “What?”

“Oh My God, just get this. You can never escape the girls. Apparently in female world, you are considered hot.” He looked Michael up and down. “How, I have no idea… hey wait! Where are you going?” Michael had now swung his bag onto his shoulder. “Awesome!! You’ve finally found out what cutting class means! No seriously, where are you going?”

“Away from all this.” He gestured around the room. Weiss’s eyes grew wide.

“All the more for me, man! Have fun!”

“As if girls could ever want you!”

“Hey! Despite the fact that I’ve never really had a serious girl or anything that doesn’t make me-”

“Later, Weiss!”

He walked off to a corner of the library to a table where there was only girl sitting. Unlike the rest of the girls in the room, she was buried in her book and taking notes at an amazing speed. He recognised her. She was the girl from his history class who he had smiled at in class yesterday. Not that he had a chance to look at her properly, his breath caught in his throat. She had silky brown hair that fell over her shoulders that swayed gently with her hand movements. She had a creamy complexion and her face was gorgeous. She had a look of total concentration but even though her forehead was wrinkled in thought, she was still beautiful. There was no denying that. She almost looked like an angel. He approached the desk hesitantly.

“Anyone sitting here?”

“Hmm?” She finished writing and looked up and her eyes met his and he felt himself go weak at the knees. “What did you say?”

He tore his eyes away from hers. “Uh… is-is anyone sitting here?” He pointed to the seat to the right of her.

She shook her head. “No.” before she returned to her work and started writing again. He rolled his eyes at himself. As if a girl like her would ever want a guy like him. He sat down and got his books out and tried to continue studying but couldn’t. Not when he was sitting next to her. Everything about her was intriguing. The way she sat, the way she moved her eyes from her book to her notepad. He watched her hand move and he saw for the first time that she was writing so hard that she had practically torn holes through the paper. He looked at her face and saw that her frown was more than concentration, it looked like she was really pissed off about something. She looked at him and caught him staring at her.

“What?”

“You just look really bummed out.”

“It’s nothing. It’s just that… my life’s really complicated. More than you’d want to know.”

“What makes you think I wouldn’t want to know.”

“I don’t know. Maybe the way that you stared at me for about 5 minutes before you actually sat down. Oh yeah, and it might have to do with something to do with how you’ve been staring at me for the past 10 minutes.”

He smiled. “Caught me. But you can’t talk, you know. You were staring at me the whole time during history yesterday.”

She smiled and he noticed that she got these really cute dimples in her cheeks. “Well, I guess that we both have a thing in common in that way.”

He smiled to himself and the two worked in silence for the next couple of minutes. But he couldn’t help thinking about what she had said. How much more did they have in common? Wouldn’t he love to talk to her and find more about this mysteriously beautiful girl.

“Are you dating anyone at the moment?” He had no idea where the question had come from. He had just blurted it out. She raised her eyebrows and looked at him.

“Five minutes and you’re already asking me about my love life.” She shrugged. “Must be a guy thing… I barely even know you.”

“You’ve experienced this before.”

“Maybe.”

“I’m Michael Vaughn. And you are?”

“Sydney Bristow.”

“Good, now that we know who we are talking to, you still haven’t answered my question. Are you dating anyone?”

She grinned. “Why, are you thinking of dating me?”

He chucked. He was liking Sydney more that each second that went by. “Subtle, aren’t you?”

“So, I’ve been told.”

“You still haven’t answered the question. Are you dating anyone?” She blushed and he noticed how cute she looked when she blushed. She smiled and looked down at her book.

“No.” She looked at her watch.

“Look, my next class starts in five minutes. I’d better go.” He grinned. She was obviously trying to avoid the topic.

“What class?”

“Maths.”

“With Miss Davis?” She nodded.

“Good, I’ll see you in class.”

“I guess so.” She shot him another smile that made his stomach turn before picking up her bag and heading out of the library. He was about to pick up his own bag when Weiss came up to him.

“You’re not escaping that easily, man. I saw the whole thing. And you were talking about not liking all the chick attention.” He shook his head in disbelief. “So anyway, who is she? What’s she like? Is she pretty? Stupid question, of course, she’s pretty.”

“Weiss, give me a break. Just because I have a two minute conversation with a girl doesn’t mean that she’s the love of my life or anything.” But his heart started beating faster at the thought of actually dating her. Weiss was looking at him and grinned.

“But you like her don’t you?” Michael started walking out of the library and Weiss called after him.

“You can’t escape this, you know. I have you number, I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!”

Michael just kept walking and thought of what he had done to deserve a best friend like Weiss.

Sydney was one of the first to arrive to her Maths class. She sat down. Her head was full of thoughts; thoughts of Michael. It had seemed so natural to talk to him that she’d barely even noticed the way he looked when he talked, his laugh, the way he got some dimples when he smiled, the way that his eyes would brighten… ok maybe she had noticed, but she was thankful that she didn’t behave like a love struck giggly girl in front of him. She smiled when she thought of their conversation but her face hardened and her eyes narrowed when she remembered when she had asked her if she was all right. Truth was, she wasn’t. Her dad had never come back last night, and that morning she had gotten a text from him saying that he would be out of the country for the next fortnight. That meant an empty house for the next two weeks. She loved having the house to herself, but she just wished that her father would come out of his shell and truly start living. A voice interrupted her thoughts.

“Penny for your thoughts?” She looked up and felt herself melting. It was Michael. He sat down next to her and she suddenly felt conscious of herself and shy.

“Actually, five bucks would be better, I need money, I’m broke.” He laughed. Miss Davis came in and wrote the work up on the board. The room fell to silence as everyone took their books out and started working. Syd picked up her pen at the same time as Michael did and their hands brushed and a shot of electricity went up her arm. She jerked her hand back and Michael grinned at her.

“Happens all the time. I’m a lefty, comes from my dad.” For an instant his eyes filled with sadness and Syd wondered why but as soon as it had come it disappeared.

“You okay?” she asked him softly. He nodded and smiled. “I’m fine.”

“Miss Bristow, Michael Vaughn, save the chatter for outside the classroom please.”

“Yes, Miss Davis.” Sydney grinned at Vaughn before returning to her work. She found herself working well which was surprising since she was sitting so close to Michael, but the bell rang and she looked up surprised. The lesson seemed to have gone by so quickly. She picked up her bag and left the room to go to her locker but she sensed someone running behind her. She spun around and saw it was Michael. She smiled at him and waited for him to say something.

“Listen-uh, do you want to go get some pizza? I know this really good place, Joey’s Pizza.” For a second, she just gaped at him.

“Are you serious?”

“Yeah, what, is my company not good enough for you?” She blushed.

“I’d love to. Just let me get my bag. I’ll meet you outside.”

“Ok.” He shot her one of his knee-melting smiles and turned to go to his locker. Sydney stared after him before hurriedly throwing her books in her bag and slammed her locker door shut before running to Francie’s locker.

“Fran?”

“Oh, hey, Syd. Oh My God, you’re not gonna believe what happened in my English class, we-”

“FRAN!” Francie stopped talking and looked at Syd. “What’s up?”

“Michael. He asked me to go get pizza with him.” Francie’s jaw dropped and her eyes went wide.

“You serious? Are we talking about Michael? Michael Vaughn?” Syd nodded.

Francie let out a squeal and hugged Sydney. “Way to go! Do you even know how lucky you are? How did this happen? How did you two get talking?”

“I talked to him in Study Period and in Maths… and then he just asked me.”

“You’re so lucky. But what’s wrong? Why are you upset?”

“What if I make a total fool of myself?”

“Syd, go.”

“NO!”

“You’re passing up a date with Michael Vaughn??”

“It’s not a date, but-” Francie pushed Syd in the direction of the door. “Go. You’ll be fine. And you’d better call me tonight!” Sydney walked down the corridor and out the double doors. She spotted Michael immediately who sent her a smile that made her stomach lurch and she gave him a tentative smile back.

“Ready to go?” She nodded and they started walking. Sydney looked around and saw that pretty much every girl on the grounds was looking at her with envy. And why shouldn’t they? She was going to get pizza with Michael Vaughn! She stole a glance at him and sighed. He looked at her.

“You okay?”

“Yeah, just happy to be with you.” She gulped when the words came out but was relieved when Michael grinned back with that gorgeous smile of his. They fell into a comfortable silence until they were seated down. The waitress came to them.

“Hi, what would you like today?”

Michael and Sydney both looked at each other. “Pepperoni okay?” they both said as the same time. Sydney blushed. The waitress scribbled on her notepad.

“One pepperoni, got it.” She walked away and Michael spoke.

“You like pepperoni?”

“Uh-huh.” He raised his eyebrows.

“Really, you don’t seem like a pepperoni girl.” She looked at him.

“Then what kind of girl do I look like?” He shrugged.

“I don’t know.” She tucked a piece of hair behind her right ear and he chuckled when she did that.

“What?”

“That’s about the twentieth time you’ve don’t that today. It’s your thing.”

“I don’t have a thing.”

“Yes, you do.” (A/N: I stole that from that talk with Syd and Dixon.) “No one does that so much.”

“You have no idea what it’s like to have long hair, so you can’t talk.”

“True.” They were interrupted when the pizza came. They each took a slice and continued talking while eating.

“Tell me about your pets.”

She laughed. “What?”

“Your pets. I want to know about every pet you ever had.” (A/N: I stole that from their first date in episode 2.12)

“Okay. I haven’t had that many, but when I was about three I had a goldfish but it blew up.” He laughed. “It’s true! I think I overfed it or something, it like literally exploded!” He made a face.

“Eeew, not good when we’re eating, Syd.” She stared at him and he looked back.

“What?”

“You just called me Syd.”

“Is that a bad thing? Do you mind?”

She smiled. “Not at all.” They locked eyes but Sydney looked down and broke the moment. She’d never felt so attracted to anyone before and quickly started talking again. “Anyway, so I had this hamster once, but it got run over by a car or a truck or something. And I had a guinea-pig… but I don’t remember what happened to it.”

“What do you mean?”

She felt so comfortable talking to him that she had no trouble answering. She hardly ever talked about this with anyone except Francie. It just showed how attracted she was to him. She looked down and her voice came out just above a whisper. “That was around the time that my mother died.” She looked up and met Michael’s eyes and saw his filled with concern looking back at her. He took her hand and closed it over with his own.

“You don’t remember anything of that time. You feel like the whole world is going on but you don’t see why. You think that everyone should stop because your mother has died.” He had started whispering now and she stared at him, shocked and her eyes filled with tears.

“That’s exactly how I felt. How-how did you know.” His eyes once more filled with that sad look she had seen earlier that day and he looked down.

“My father died when I was little.” Her heart instantly went out to him. But now she didn’t know how to act because she’d never had anyone in the same situation like this. She asked him hesitantly.

“How old were you?” He looked back up.

“Eight.” He looked so sad that she wished she had never brought the topic up. He looked like an average 17 year old but she could see past that and she saw the eight year old boy inside him longing for his father.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have brought the topic up.” He managed a smile.

“Don’t be. It wasn’t your fault. Actually, I think that you would understand better than anyone because you’ve also lost a parent.” He saw the look on Sydney’s face and spoke quickly. “I’m sorry, that didn’t come out right.” She shook her head.

“Don’t be sorry, Michael.” She looked into his eyes and they locked eyes.

“I miss her,” she whispered.

“I miss him.” Sydney smiled and in that one moment, they understood more about the other than they ever thought they would. She found herself leaning closer to him and he was doing the same but the arrival of the waitress interrupted them and they sprang back and he let go off her hand. They looked sheepishly at each other.

“All finished up here?” Sydney nodded and put some money on the table and Michael did the same. They got up and thanked the waitress before heading outside.

“Where do you live?” he asked her.

“Martin Street.”

“Come on, I’ll walk you home.” Her whole body warmed up when he said that. They walked up the street and turned left on Martin Street. They kept walking until Sydney stopped in front of a pretty white house.

“Here we are.”

“I had fun.”

She smiled. “So did I. Thanks Michael.”

“I’ll see you in school tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay.” He took her hand in his and squeezed it.

“Bye.”

“Bye.” He leaned toward her and gave her a chaste kiss on her cheek. Her eyes went wide. He smiled down at her and walked away. She could only stare after him in happy wonderment.

TBC

A/N: Whew! That was long! What do you think? Was the date too soon? Was the almost-kiss too soon? Did they open up about their feelings too much? Did you like it? Tell me!!

thanks syd26!! god i'm such a loser checking this so soon, but it's nice to know that someone has already read it!
thanks!

That is the cuteset story. Normaly I would ask for a PM but since you aren't going to do any I guess I 'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

Hey guys! thanks for your replies and since people have asked me and want them, I think i will send out PMs... k?

so the list so far is (and please tell me if you don't want to be on the list, or would like to be added onto the list):

1) syd26
2) sexcivaughan14
3) santosaidan

Chapter Two

Michael collapsed onto his bed. There was no way, absolutely no way that he could study or do anything for that matter. All week all he had been thinking of was Sydney. It had been a struggle to survive the week and actually do work, but now that the weekend was here he had given up. The date earlier that week had been great. No, great wasn’t the word. Amazing didn’t even come close. In his experience, there were two types of first dates. 1) a disaster and 2) okay, but not great. He’d added a third category. 3) girl likes pepperoni, knows what its like to lose a parent. It was scary… in a good way that Sydney had lost a parent. She was the first person who actually knew how it felt. People had been saying him to him for his whole life that they all knew how he felt, that they all sympathized; they all knew the right things to say. But to him, they made no sense. How are you supposed to talk to someone about losing someone close without actually experiencing it yourself?

He had talked to Sydney, sat next to her in classes, but all he really wanted to do was go out with her again. He was so intrigued by her; every single thing about her. And he’d only learnt more and more about her. Hell, even her name was intriguing. Sydney Bristow. He frowned. For the first time, the name struck him as odd, maybe even familiar. It rang a bell. Where had he heard it before? He tried to remember, but all he had was a picture of his dad with two other men. In suits. He shook his head. What the hell did that have to do with anything? He tried to stop thinking about her, but the date replayed in his mind again and again. Especially the bit when he had almost kissed her. Was it just what he wanted to think or did she really lean in as well? Did she feel that attraction? That connection? He groaned. He was only asking himself questions that had been begging for answers for ever since he dropped her off at her house.

He went downstairs and out of the house. He needed to go somewhere; he needed to clear his head. Even if it was raining; even if it was dark and late at night; he had to go somewhere. He had no idea where he was going, but he soon found himself standing at the pier. He smiled to himself. It figured. The place had always calmed him ever since his father had died. It gave him comfort and he could remember spending hours upon hours here. He closed his eyes and relaxed but re-opened them when he heard a noise behind him. He looked around and saw that it was Sydney sitting on a bench. He was surprised that he hadn’t noticed her when he had come. He shook his head. It was ironic. He’d come hear to stop thinking about her and here she was. He started walking to her and sat down beside her. She didn’t even notice him. She was sitting with her knees bent and feet up on the bench and was hugging her knees. He looked at her face and noticed in alarm that tears were running down her cheeks and her clothes and hair were damp from the rain. He couldn’t bear the sight of her, just sitting there crying. She looked so small, so alone. He gently touched her shoulder.

“Hey, are you ok?” She looked at him and managed to smile between her tears. He stared back at her. God, she was beautiful, even if she was crying.

“Hi,” she whispered. She took a shuddering breath. “I’m sorry you have to see me like this.”

“It’s ok. Are you all right?” She stayed silent for a while before answering.

“My dad. He’s out of the country. He always is. I mean it just started off with a day or two; then he made it two weeks.” She took another breath as more tears ran down her cheeks. “And now I just found out that he’s going to be out for the next month. It’s horrible. I mean, it’s just that since my mother died he hasn’t been himself. And I just wish-” She started sobbing. “I just wish that he’d come back; out of the shell that he’s been in for the past 11 years. If only my mother was alive, none of this would have happened. I miss her so much that it hurts and… I wish more than anything that she was still alive.” She continued sobbing and covered her mouth with her hand. Michael’s heart broke for her. He turned her to face him and gently wrapped his arms around her and he felt her arms tightening across his back. She put her face into his shoulder and sobbed. He closed his eyes and his whole body melted into her touch. He could have stayed, trapped in this moment forever. Surely nothing could be better than sitting in his favourite spot in LA with Sydney in his arms. He had no idea how long they stayed like that. It could have been minutes; it could have been hours. But Sydney finally moved away from him and spoke.

“I’m sorry.”

He smiled down at her. “For what?”

“For crying here. It’s such a stupid thing to cry for. I mean it’s just my dad not being here, it’s not much, it’s just-” she stopped abruptly and more tears ran down her cheeks.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean that. It didn’t come out right. I know you-”

“Hey,” he whispered. “Don’t feel bad. You can talk to me about anything, I don’t care. I know what it feels like to lose a parent. Don’t ever feel bad if you say something like that, it’s ok. And Syd, it isn’t a bad thing for you to cry. I understand how you feel. Don’t think it’s stupid.” She nodded and smiled at him but her eyes filled with tears again and tears started streaming down her cheeks and she threw her arms around him as she started crying once again. He closed his eyes once again and breathed deeply and inhaled her sweet scent.

“Thank you,” she whispered. He looked back down at her.

“For what?” She smiled that gorgeous smile of hers.

“For being here when I needed it. I was alone and I needed comfort and… you gave it to me. So thank you.” He could tell she was genuinely touched and his heart filled with concern for her. Was this the first time that she’d had comfort since her mother had died? He’d had his mother for him; it was different in his case. But from what he could tell, her father wasn’t there for her. How messed up must she be inside? His heart leapt out to her.

“Don’t be afraid to talk to me. You can be at your lowest and always remember that I’m here for you.” He stopped, not knowing whether he should say the next words or not but they came out anyway. “Sometimes you might feel alone in all this. Like you don’t have an ally.” He paused. “I’m your ally. Never question that.” She looked up and stared into his eyes and he could see that her eyes were filling with tears. But he knew the reason for them. She was touched by his words and he was glad. He slowly moved his hand up to her face and gently brushed away her hair and she let out a breathy sigh. He moved closer and gently kissed her forehead. He traced the line of her cheekbone with a finger, all the way around her face and stopped at her lips. He tilted her chin up and leaned closer. He was centimetres away from kissing her when his cell phone rang. He closed his eyes in frustration. He reached down to his jacket pocket and pulled it out and disconnected the call and switched his phone off.

“Sorry,” he whispered. She shook her head.

“You shouldn’t have hung up. Was it anyone important?”

“No.” He didn’t actually know who it was, but right now, she was much more important than whoever it was. She smiled and with his arms still around her, he could feel that she was shivering.

“Syd, you’re frozen.” She laughed. He loved her laugh. It was almost like a little bell, tinkling and bringing joy.

“Just about.”

“Here.” He took his jacket off and slipped it around her bare shoulders. She nestled into the warmth.

“Michael, you didn’t have to.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’m fine.” He knew that he should probably get her home, but he wanted to stay here, with Sydney in his arms for a little while longer. She relaxed back into him until they were both lying down on the bench with her in front of him and the weird thing was that even though he’d only known her for a little less than a week, he was perfectly comfortable in this position. With any other girl he’d been with, this would have been way too awkward, but with Sydney it just felt right. Everything felt right about her.

“I should get you home,” he murmured against the silky touch of her hair against his face.

“Mmm.” Neither of them wanted to leave but Michael knew that it was late, and as much as he hated to go, he moved Sydney up till she was sitting up. He stood up and held his hand out to her.

“Come on,” he said smiling at her. She took her hand and stood up and they both walked in the direction of Sydney’s house, still holding hands. After a while, Sydney rested her head on his shoulder and he grinned. When they had reached the white house on Martin Street, they both stopped.

“I don’t want you to go,” she whispered, looking deep into his eyes.

“And I don’t want to leave either.” They both smiled at each other.

“Thanks again, Michael.”

“Syd, you know I’m here for you.” She sighed and smiled.

“I do. And thanks so much again, Michael. This… well this meant a whole lot to me. So thank you.” His heart was again filled with so much concern that he could literally feel her pain. How awful must it be for her to have no one to look up to, no one to guide her?

“It’s ok, Syd.” He smiled and couldn’t resist wrapping his arms around her once more and could feel her arms tightening around his waist.

“Good night, Syd.”

“Good night, Michael.”

“Are you sure, you’re ok by yourself?” His forehead was wrinkled with worry. She laughed.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.”

“Ok.” He softly kissed her forehead and then her cheek and smiled when her eyes went wide.

“Do you want to go out tomorrow? Just… anywhere. I don’t know.” She grinned.

“Of course.”

“I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Ok. Bye.”

“Bye, Syd.” She let go of him and slowly walked up the steps to her porch before sending another smile to Michael before going inside and closing the door behind her. It was then, as he walked to his own house that he realised that she still had his jacket. He didn’t mind. It was nice to know that she had something of his. He knew he shouldn’t be, but he was worried about her being alone at night but the thought of his jacket somehow comforted him. He went into his house, up the stairs and into his bed, falling into a peaceful sleep.

(A/N: Yes, I did steal those magical words... in my opinion, one of the best quotes in all of the three seasons of Alias)

Next Day 9:00 am
The phone rings at Sydney’s house

“Hello?”

“Hey, Syd.” Her heart leapt at the sound of his sweet soothing voice.

“Michael! Hey! Did you get back home last night all right?”

“Yeah, I did.” He paused. “So do you want to go to the park or something?”

“Sounds great. I’ll meet you there.” He laughed and she smiled too. She loved his laugh.

“Don’t be silly, I’ll come pick you up in an hour. Is that enough time for you?”

“Hey! Are you implying that I can’t get ready in time?”

“It’s a girl thing. You always need at least three hours to get ready.”

“We do not!” He chuckled.

“I’ll pick you up in an hour and a half.”

“What? You just said an hour!”

“Can’t wait to see me?” he teased. She blushed even though he couldn’t see.

“Maybe,” she whispered.

“Ok, I’ll come in an hour, okay?”

“Okay. Bye Michael.”

“Bye, Syd.”

Sydney hugged herself after hanging up the phone. She was going to spend more time with Michael! Last night was amazing, almost too good to be true. He had been so caring that she’d never wanted to leave his arms ever again. A pleasant tingle went up her spine when she remembered the feel of his arms around her. She had felt so safe in his arms. For the first time since her mother had died, she had someone who was there for her. She smiled when she remembered his sweet words the night before. Had he really meant them? And when she was lying on the bench with him, it was perfect. She’d never do that with another guy, but with Michael, she felt she could say anything, do anything and she wouldn’t feel embarrassed or ashamed of herself. They had come to an understanding. They both knew that they cared about each other and nothing was weird between them. The rattle of the keys startled her out of her pleasant thoughts and she froze. Who could it be? She tiptoed cautiously to the den and peeked out the doorway into the entrance to see who it was and her jaw dropped.

“Dad? What are you doing home?”

“Hello Sydney, I just decided to come home early. I didn’t need to stay away for as long as I had planned.”

“Well, I’m going out and I don’t know when I’ll be back.” He nodded and went to his room, dragging his suitcase behind them. She got tears in her eyes. Did her dad care at all that she was going out? From the impression she’d just gotten from him, it seemed like he didn’t even care that she existed. She sighed and went to her bathroom and had a shower and washed her hair, using her favourite strawberry-smelling shampoo. As stupid as it was, she hoped that Michael would take notice of the smell of the hair. She blow dried her hair straight and wrapped her bath robe around her and went into her room. Now came the hard task of choosing what to wear. At the date to Joey’s Pizza, she had had worn what she had worn to school that day. And last night, she wasn’t expecting to see Michael at the pier. Ok, ever since she had met Michael, each day at school, she had paid more attention to her wardrobe than she usually did, but today was different. She was actually going on a proper date with him and she didn’t have a clue as to what she was going to wear. She opened her closet and soon her room was full of flying shirts, jeans, and skirts. She didn’t want to look horrible, or too preppy, but the next worst thing was to look like she’d worked too hard to impress him.

“Simple. Something simple,” she muttered to herself. She needed to look like Sydney Bristow, like who she really was. And she was simple. So her clothes needed to represent that. She tried on outfit after outfit before she found a light blue shirt at the back of her closet. She tried it on with a pair of bellbottom jeans. She stared at herself in the mirror and decided that she looked fine. The next thing was to decide to have her hair up or down. She tried combing it up in a knot or bun but her hair just refused to stay where she wanted it. She sighed and gave up and ran a brush through her hair. What about makeup? She put on a coat of clear lip-gloss but did she need anything else? The doorbell rang and her eyes went widened in shock. She looked at her watch. It had already been an hour since she’d talked to Michael, but she couldn’t help smiling. He was right. Girls really did need the extra time to get ready. She grabbed her wallet and her cream-coloured jacket before running downstairs to open the door and looked into the smiling face of Michael Vaughn.

“Hey.”

‘Hi.”

“Are you ready?”

“Yeah. Come on in.” She felt shy when she noticed how incredibly gorgeous he looked with a sports jacket and pants.

“Sydney?” She looked behind her and saw her dad.

“Oh, hey dad.”

“Where are you going?”

“Out.”

“And who’s this?” he nodded to Michael.

“Michael Vaughn. Michael, meet my dad.” Michael extended his hand and shook hands with Jack. Sydney stared at her father.

“Dad, are you okay? What’s the matter?” He was staring at Michael with an incomprehensible look on his face. He blinked and looked at Sydney.

“Fine. You go. Nice to meet you, Michael.”

“You too.” He turned to leave and Sydney followed him out of the door and looked at Michael.

“What was that?”

“What was what?”

“That. My dad. He was staring at you.” Michael shrugged.

“Don’t worry about it. Come on, let’s go.” They walked down the street and Sydney was wondering whether she should say what she was going to say. If she did, she knew she wouldn’t be able to live it down.

“You know, you were right.”

“About what?”

“Girls. We really do need the extra time to get ready.” He started laughing. Sydney slapped his arm.

“You’re so full of it.” He mocked hurt.

“That hurt, Bristow.” She grinned at him. They had reached the park and started walking down the path but Sydney stopped. Michael looked at her.

“What’s up?”

“Nothing. I just love it here. I mean look around. It’s so peaceful and happy.” Michael looked and slowly smiled.

“I see what you mean.”

“I come here so much. It’s my favourite spot in LA.” She smiled. “Along with the pier.” She started walking forward again but stopped when she realised that Michael hadn’t walked with her. She didn’t get the chance to look around before someone had grabbed her shoulders and tackled her to the ground and found herself looking straight up into the amused of eyes of Michael.

“What did you do that for?” He laughed.

“Couldn’t resist.” She shook her head.

“You are so paying for that.” She lunged herself at his shoulders but he calmly rolled over to the side so that she found herself lying on the ground next to him. She stared at him.

“You’re evil.” He laughed again.

“I know.” She smiled at him and they locked eyes and she felt that familiar churn of her stomach that she got every time she looked into his eyes. He put his hand on her cheek and she shivered under the warmth of his touch. She put her hand on the back of his head and pulled him forward. Her heart started to beat faster when she felt his warm gentle breath on her face as they both leaned closer. They hadn’t even touched lips when a voice interrupted them.

“Michael Vaughn, what are you doing?” They both looked up and saw a pretty blond girl staring down at them. Michael’s eyes widened with shock and Sydney inwardly groaned. Perfect timing. This meant the second time they’d been interrupted when they were about to kiss.

“Alice. What are you doing here?” She ignored the question.

“Who’s this?” She jerked her head in Sydney’s direction. Michael cleared his throat.

“Sydney Bristow.” Alice’s eyes hardened.

“Michael, do I have to remind you that I am your girlfriend?” Sydney’s eyes widened when she said that and she looked at Michael who looked extremely guilty. It could only mean one thing. She jumped and held back her tears.

“I’m sorry. I have to go,” she managed to choke out. She started walking away but Michael had jumped up and started running after her. She broke into a sprint.

“Sydney, wait!” She kept running and took no notice of him. Why had she trusted him? Was the whole thing a set up to make her look bad? She shook her head and tears ran down her cheeks. Why couldn’t something in her life go the way it was planned? So many things seemed out perfect but it all ended in the same way. Michael had caught up to her by now and turned her around.

“Leave me alone!”

“Syd, please. You have to understand.” She glared at him.

“Don’t ever call me Syd again.” She turned around but he grabbed her and forced her around again. She slapped his face and turned and ran. She looked behind and was thankful that he hadn’t followed her.

She had enough in her life to deal with.

TBC

A/N: Don’t hate me! Please?

A/N: Guys, I myself don’t like S/V not together, (obviously) but… well this is fun. So I don’t exactly know myself when they’ll get together; it all depend on what I type. I never have a plan, I just type so don’t hate me if they don’t get back together for a while. Anyway, here’s the next chapter, hope you like it. Please leave feedback! If they don’t get together in this chapter, then it all depends on how much feedback you give me. The more reviews, the less time you’ll have to wait! xoxo Bubbles

************ show the switch between Syd and Vaughn’s POV but in third person. This can happen anytime and it can have no time change or it can have time change and *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* means same character but time change. Make sense? Cool, now I’ll let you read.

Chapter Three

Sydney’s eyes opened and she immediately regretted it. She had school that day and that meant getting out of her bed and facing the world… and Michael. The day before had been both easy and horrible. It had been easy because she didn’t have to talk to anyone and she had used the same tactic that shed had used ever since her mother died. She had closed her feelings up and hadn’t let them get out of her. She hadn’t shed a single tear which was strange. She was emotional and it didn’t usually take a lot for her to start crying. Why hadn’t she cried? Wasn’t it routine that every time that when the guy hurt the girl or broke up with the girl, the girl would cry her heart out? But that was the thing; Michael hadn’t broken up with her. Of course, they had a connection but they hadn’t even kissed or made it official… no thanks to Alice. She couldn’t help wondering what the situation would be if Alice hadn’t shown up. Would Michael tell her that he already had a girlfriend? Was he really that type of person? How could he be? Sydney had been told her whole life that not everyone is as they seem, mainly by her father. But that night on the pier; no one could be that good an actor. No one could fake that look she saw in his eyes. And those words, ‘I’m your ally. Never question that.’ Did he really mean them? Or was it just part of everything? She groaned. She was slowly driving herself insane. She was only thinking thoughts that had been with her since she had run away from Michael. She closed her eyes when she remembered that. What would Michael think of that? Did he think that she had acted too childishly? Her eyes flew open as she realised what she was thinking. How could she be thinking about trying to impress him after the scene with Alice? She had to get out of bed and stop thinking about Michael… if she could. She jumped out of bed but stopped when she saw the time on the clock. 6:30. Great, what was she supposed to do now? Go back to bed and keep torturing herself with thoughts of Michael Vaughn? She needed to go for a run her clear her head. She quickly got changed into a t-shirt and track pants and headed out to the local track. She inhaled the fresh morning air and for the first time after she had seen Michael with Alice, she smiled. She decided to jog to the track so that she wouldn’t have to warm up when she got there. She covered the distance quickly and entered the track and her smile immediately faded. She stared at the running figure came closer. It was Michael. Sydney stayed frozen as she watched him come closer. God, why did he have to look so good? Why? It was tearing her into two. He came closer and he chose that second to look up and their eyes met and Sydney couldn’t bear it anymore. She spun around and ran out and tears were starting to form in her eyes. She kept walking and found herself at the pier which only brought on more tears and before she knew it she was crying. Not just for Michael, but for everything that had gone wrong in her life. How many times had things looked perfect but turned out in the opposite direction? Just once, couldn’t one thing go right?

She stayed there, staring at the water and slowly the tears subsided and the water had the same effect on her as always. She began to calm down but still wasn’t ready to face the world so she sat on the same bench on which Michael had comforted only three nights before. For the first time in the past day and a half, her mind was clear and she was alert to her surroundings. Why did the pier always do this to her? Whether the problem was at home or somewhere else, it always had the same effect on her. She found that even problems at school would… Oh My God! She looked at her watch and leapt up. The dial read 8:15. She had 15 minutes before she had to be seated in her homeroom! (A/N: Uh… is 8:30 the time that school starts in America? That’s when it does in Australia, so ignore that if it doesn’t make sense for a high school in Los Angeles to start at 8:30.) How the hell could she have already spent a near two hours here? She ran all the way home and changed into jeans and a shirt. Grabbing her bag an apple off the counter, she ran out the door all the way to school. She grabbed her books for first period and again looked at her watch. 8:35. She burst into her homeroom and apologised.

“Sorry, I’m late, Miss Lee!” Miss Lee smiled at her.

“Just make sure that it doesn’t happen again, Sydney.” Sydney quickly took a seat in the back but didn’t listen during the whole of the session. But for once, her thoughts were not on Michael. They were on Francie. She couldn’t believe that she hadn’t called Francie or even Will for that matter for the whole weekend. Francie was going to kill her. Sydney knew that her friend had called several times, but she couldn’t be bothered picking it up. Yup, Francie really was going to kill her. But Sydney figured that finding out that that the guy she was about to kiss and just so happened to have a crush had forgotten to tell her the tiny detail that he had a girlfriend. The bell rang (A/N: do you have bells in America? Ok, I know that’s getting carried away, it’s just that I have no idea how the American high school system works so I’m just writing and average school day in Melbourne.) and Sydney walked down the hallway to her Maths class. She walked into the classroom and as her eyes swept over the classroom, looking for a seat, they fell on Michael and she closed her eyes. How was it possible that she had every second of the weekend not letting a thought enter her head unless it was about him and she had forgotten that he was in her Maths class? As if he was reading her thoughts, he looked up and she got that mixed feeling again when their eyes met. She tore her eyes away from him before she started in the middle of class. He was sitting near the front so she moved to the back of the classroom and sat down there. Sydney could feel his eyes on her, watching her every move but she forced herself to not look at him. The teacher came in and within a few minutes, the class had started working but Sydney could not work. It was becoming a regular habit, she mused. The year before, she had been a straight A student, but this year, she was finding it hard to work. Had Michael really made that much of a difference on her life? Michael was in front of her, to the right and she forced herself to keep her eyes to the left of her, but she couldn’t resist stealing a glance to her right and what could she expect? Michael was looking straight back at her and she put her head down and pretended to work. What was this, ESP? How did Michael always know when she was looking at him? Did they have that much of a connection? She pushed these thoughts away and forced herself to do some work. She had the whole night to think and pine over Michael, now was not the time.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sydney stared at her lunch and was seriously wondering why she had even woken up that day, let alone come to school. She looked at the said-to-be-lasagne of the school cafeteria and tried to figure out what had possessed her to but it. Legend was that many years ago, they had made a mound of lasagne and just kept scooping off it every second Monday.

“Sydney!” She looked up and saw it was Francie and she cringed but plastered a smile on her face.

“Hey, Francie.” She waited for the explosion and it came.

“Where have you been? You didn’t call me the whole weekend! I tried on Saturday morning and your dad picked up which was totally weird because he said that you had gone out with a guy. I knew that wasn’t possible though because ever since you first laid eyes on Michael Vaughn, you’ve been walking around with a love-struck look on your face and you wouldn’t at all go out with anyone except him. And if you did go out with him, then you would have told me since we tell each other everything. So I thought that your dad must have got it wrong or something. So I just sat back and then I called you heaps and heaps but no one would pick up the phone! So then I tried Will and he said that you hadn’t called you either and now he’s all worried too and I bet you that he would have called you as well.” Francie stopped for breath.

“What happened?” Sydney sighed and Francie was immediately concerned and sat down next to Sydney.

“Something bad happen?”

“You could say that.” And out came the whole story, of how he had comforted her at the pier, how they had gone to the park the next day and then she ended with how Alice had shown up. And in a way, Sydney was relieved to let go off her feelings as she poured out the whole story.

“So you just ran away?”

“What was I supposed to do, kiss him in front of his girlfriend?” Francie grinned.

“Maybe.” Sydney just shook her head and laughed and Francie spoke.

“You know, I used to think that he was perfect and everything, but after what he did to you… I don’t like him one bit anymore.” Sydney bit her lip and Francie looked at her closely.

“Syd, you can’t be forgiving him already!”

“It’s not that… it’s just… that night on the pier. He was so… I don’t know… pure. No one could fake that.” Sydney looked down. “I don’t know what to think.” Francie sighed.

“Syd, I just don’t want to see you get hurt, okay?” Sydney smiled.

“Yeah.”

“Look, if you’re so upset by it, why don’t you just talk to him. If he’s the nice guy that you claim him to be, he’ll have a reasonable explanation for all this.”

A bag was thrown onto the table and Sydney looked up and smiled when she saw it was Will.

“Will, hey!”

“Hey, Syd. Hey, Fran. I am so hungry.” He started eating his lasagne and Sydney and Francie looked at each other in disgust and Francie wrinkled her nose.

“Eeeew, Will. How do you eat that stuff?”

“What?” Will asked with his mouth full. Both girls laughed and Sydney tucked her hair behind her right ear.

“Will, you’re disgusting!” He swallowed.

“WHAT?” Sydney laughed again and Francie answered.

“Don’t worry about it Will. You can just go on eating that disgusting stuff and we won’t have a single problem with that.” Will stared at her and shrugged before he returned to eating. Francie shook her head.

“Sydney, why did you buy that stuff, anyway? I mean, it’s ok for Will to have it, but you? What’s gotten into you?” Will slapped the table.

“Will you two ever stop mocking me? It like, no matter what I do, you always tease me!”

“Awww! Poor Will!” Francie scooted over to him and gave him a hug and Will made a face.

“Fran, not the thing I was looking for. Maybe for Syd, it’s all right… just don’t do that again.” Francie moved away.

“Sor-ree!” Sydney laughed at them both but something caught her eye and who else could it be but Michael. He was walking in their direction! Sydney stood up so fast that she banged her knee on the underside of the table but she ignored it. Will looked at her as if she was nuts and Francie immediately looked behind her to see what Sydney was looking at and her head snapped back to face Sydney. ‘Talk to him,’ she mouthed. Sydney shook her head. ‘No way,’ she mouthed back. Will was staring at them both.

“Look, I don’t know what you guys are on about with your little sign language talk and I really don’t care. What’s more important is that Syd’s gone nuts and I think that’s just a little bit more important right now.”

“I… I just realised that I have a lot of work to do. Got to go, see you later.” Sydney ignored the look on his face grabbed her bag and concentrated on putting as much space between her and Michael as possible. No way was she ready to face him right now.

Michael stared after the retreating Sydney and felt like he had just been slapped in the face. She had been avoiding him the whole day and he was hoping that he would be able to talk to her at lunch. He should have known that she would leave the minute she saw him. Sure, he understood why she was upset but he longed to just talk to her and have everything right between them again. He closed his eyes and asked himself for the thousandth why Alice had to choose that exact moment, just as they were about to kiss to show up. And why had she said that she was still his girlfriend? They were over long ago, at least a month. If she still considered herself still his girlfriend then he had more things to deal with then, he realised. At least she didn’t go to his school and that made the whole situation easier. But Alice wasn’t important right now; what mattered right now was Sydney. He had to talk to her and soon, otherwise he’d drive himself crazy. He had to explain that Alice was just a girl from the past and that he had no idea that she would show up when they were in the park. He was genuine and he really did care deeply about Sydney. He could only imagine how upset Sydney must be and how much he must have hurt her and it tore him into two. She had come to the track and gone away all because of him. In maths she had only looked him at twice, but in those couple of times that they had made eye contact, even though they were only split-seconds long, he could make out more out of them than words ever could. He could see how hurt she was and yet he could see behind that and could almost depict a longing behind those breath-takingly beautiful eyes.

“Harsh!” He looked to see who had spoken and saw that it was Jake Collins, his buddy from when he ran at the track. The two had become good friends through their love of sports. Michael turned to him.

“What?” Jake laughed.

“Dude, you’re so blind. What just happened? Who’s the chick?” Michael sighed and wondered where to start.

“Her name’s Sydney Bristow… to cut a long story short we were about to kiss and then Alice showed up.” Jake winced.

“Not the best thing, huh?” Michael rolled his eyes.

“Not exactly. And the thing is that it was all wrong. I mean Alice still thinks that we’re together but honestly, we broke up what, a month ago, maybe? I can’t believe that she had to come at that moment of all the times she could have come.” He sighed again and Jake laughed again.

“Man, you got it bad!” Michael raised his eyebrows.

“Look if it wasn’t your fault then why don’t you just talk to her?”

“Yeah, I probably should.” Jake slapped his hand on his shoulder.

“Look, man, I have to go. Catch you later.” Michael nodded and Jake turned to leave the cafeteria. Michael suddenly realised that he was standing in the middle of the cafeteria and was probably looking like an idiot. He took one look at the cafeteria’s food and decided against getting something to eat so he too left the cafeteria. He started walking and after a few seconds he realised that he was walking in the opposite direction of his locker and he was about to go in the direction of his locker before he saw Sydney walking just ahead of him in the direction of the library. He started to follow her and hoped that he would get the chance to talk to her without any yelling. He started to quicken his pace when he realised that there was not much that Sydney could to in the library but listen to him. It seemed like the librarians spent half their lives telling students off for talking too loudly or moving around in the library too much. She went inside the library and he watched as she sat down at one of the tables and sat down with a book and started reading. He couldn’t move. Every time that he looked at her, he would get a feeling that started at his heart and went to his stomach, but damn. Why did she have to look so beautiful not matter what she did? He loved the way that her eyes would light up when she was reading or when she was talking to someone; he loved the dimples in her cheeks that she got when she smiled; he loved the way her hair fell perfectly over her shoulders; hell, he loved everything about her. He went to the desk and finally found his voice.

“Hey.” She didn’t look up at him. He swallowed and sat down next to her and for a few minutes just stayed looking at her.

“Look, Sydney-”

“Whatever it is, I don’t want to hear it.” She spoke without even moving her eyes off the page.

“Sydney, I know why you’re upset but you have to understand that-” Her head snapped to look at him as she looked at him with disbelief.

“Understand what? There’s nothing to understand. You have a girlfriend. End of story.” She turned her head back to her book.

“Sydney, I don’t have a girlfriend.”

“You’re telling me that Alice is just a figment of my imagination?” She rolled her eyes and snapped her book shut and left the library but Michael kept following her.

“Sydney, please.” She started walking faster but Michael caught up to her and spun her around.

“Will you leave me alone just for five minutes?”

“Can you just let me talk?” She stared at him before looking to her right and kept her eyes there before answering.

“Go.”

“Sydney, look. I am so sorry about what happened.”

“It wasn’t anything. Don’t worry about it.” She smiled quickly and started walking away. He started walking beside her.

“It wasn’t anything? How can you say that? You know that we have some sort of connection; you have to felt it too.” She stopped, sighed and shook her head.

“It doesn’t matter anymore.”

“But that’s the thing; it does matter! I can’t just say goodbye to you and never talk to you again.”

“Yes you can. It’s easy.”

“Ok, then I want you look me in the eye right now and say that you have absolutely no connection with me and I want you say goodbye to me,” he challenged staring into her eyes but she looked away and shook her head.

“This is stupid.”

“See what I mean? You can’t just say goodbye and neither can I.” He stared at her waiting for her to speak but she stayed silent.

“Sydney, at least tell me that you can feel some sort of connection between us.” She turned to look at him and tears were starting to fill her eyes.

“Yes, I do,” she whispered.

“So what’s the problem?” She stared at him in disbelief.

“What’s the problem? What do you think it is, Michael?” He sighed.

“Alice.’

“And he finally understands!” She rolled her eyes.

“Look, Alice is not my girlfriend.”

“So, you’re saying that Alice is just a figment of my imagination?” She kept staring at him with the same disbelief on her face but this time he could detect some hurt in her voice and he hated himself because he knew he was the cause of that.

“We broke up a month ago.”

“You’re lying.”

“Why would I lie?”

“You tell me.” He didn’t say anything and she raised her eyebrows.

“You know, for the first time in my life, something was going right. I really did think that we had something going and…” she broke off and her voice lowered to just aboe a whisper. He could tell that she was trying her hardest not to cry. “You ruined it. That’s what the problem is. Even if you are telling the truth, even if Alice and you aren’t really together that doesn’t make up for anything. You hurt me. And saying sorry won’t make up for that.”

“I know that Sydney. And you don’t know how sorry I am. Look, I know that sorry isn’t enough but you have to believe me.”

“You’re right, that isn’t enough.” He walked forward and closed the distance between them.

“Then what is?” She shrugged and looked down.

“Look at me,” he commanded gently. She rose her eyes to his and he felt the familiar jolt of electricity that he got every time he looked in her dazzling brown eyes.

“What do I need to do to get you to forgive me?”

“I don’t kn-” she broke off as he leaned forward and gently brushed her lips with his and leaned back at her and enjoyed the look of surprise on her face. She leaned up and kissed him and he started kissing her back after he had gotten over his surprise and put his arms around her back and he felt as if his whole body was on fire. He had dreamed of this moment for so long and now that it had finally come, it was so much better than he could have imagined in his wildest dreams. She started running her hands through his hair and he tightened his hold on her as he started kissing her deeply and a shiver ran up her spine but suddenly she broke away and tears pooled in her eyes.

“I’m sorry. This was a mistake.” She picked up her bag and turned to run out of the school doors. He didn’t bother to tell her that there was still one class left in the day; he was still in a state of shock. What had just happened? What made her run off like that? The bell rang and he sighed. He really didn’t want to go to his last class but he forced himself in the direction of his locker and got out the books for his next class.

TBC

A/N: That last scene sucked; I really wanted S/V together… blame my insane mind and my fingers for typing the wrong thing. I’m sorry, but I really wanted to get this up today so I just wrote the first thing that came to my head. (The first thing that came to me was to split them up again? *raises eyebrows* Some kind of S/V shipper I am!)

yeah, really...did you HAVE to break them up??? AGIAN???? COME ON...PUT THEM TOGETHER!!!! PLEASE!!!!
and can i get a pm, thanks...
AND I DO LIKE THIS...dont get me wrong, im jsut like a VERY strong s/v shipper, as youll come to figure out!! lol

thanks for your replies guys!! and high school starts at 7:30... WHOA!! you guys must be dead in the morning!!

PM list:

1) syd26
2) sexcivaughan14
3) santosaidan
4) shotput25ash
5) jughelynj

did i forget anyone?

jeeze...at my school...we HAVE to be there at like seven thirty,BUT our classes dont start until eight...i think its stupid, cause they make us get up early...lol...BUT Carolyn, youre lucky!!

Back