Machine like creatures in HJ

What do you all think of the mechanical "creatures" in the game? Personally I do not like it at all. Maybe there's more to just having machines in a sword/magic type of game.

I like them. The design of them is really nice. You have to consider the story of the world when thinking about whether or not machines belong, though. It's not an and/or situation, hehe. A lot of games have done the combination badly, though.

Yes definitally, I fear a horrible mix but I guess we will see when the game comes out >.< I guess if its part of the story, theres not much ya can do.

With all the Gearsmith stuff we've seen so far, it appears to be very important to the structure of HJ's Elanthia. Love the idea of mechanical creatures.

What I really hate, however, is the relative lack of traditional fantasy creatures. At least have SOME orcs, trolls, goblins, centaurs, etc. It seems like HJ is trying to be TOO different. Granted, no good information has been released in like 2 years, so that might have all changed.

Yea, I'd hope there would be more living/undead creatures rather than the majority being mechanical. Regardless of the story line I am not a fan of anything that really has to do with machines. Trying to get away from machines... which is why i play games that have to do with times where machines do not exist. ::Sits and stares at a machine:: Ah what can I say?

Well, machines do exist in Elanthia and there's no way around it. Just rest assured that they belong there and without them, Elanthia would be a totally different place.

As for the fantasy creatures...doesn't a rose by any other name smell just as sweet? Elanthia is Elanthia. If there are some versions of the races in question somewhere, then yay! But Elanthia doesn't need them to be fantastical. Keep in mind I am not saying either way if they are in or not, just that a game world shouldn't be expected to contain or not contain anything. I'm also typing this while half asleep.

Its not that I expect anything to be there or not... I just have preferences. I do not expect them to all be met by any game(that would be nice :/ ). Just chattin' :smiley:

Question. Do you also find the undead to be unreasonable additions to a fantasy world? Because if you don't, living machines shouldn't bother you.

The mechanics are the same. Magically inducing matter to move despite it's current lifeless state. A series of interconnected rotting bones shambling toward you is just as realistic as a series of interconnected stone or metal pieces doing the same. *grins*

~Dune~

I don't mind mechanical Creatures at all, in Fact i expect them to be present in a Fantasyworld. Waht i do not like though, is the Way they're depicted in Heros Journey: Metalskeletons with a few Cogs added here and there. Or those huge needless Cogs on the Walls in Stalhagen.

To me, Machinery is a bit more than a Display of mechanical Parts. If something complex is supposed to be mechanical, then at least give it a housing where i can believe that an actual Machine could be in. Then add some Wirecontrols, Pistons, and Cogs - but please don't put the Pieces in Places where they're obviously ineffectual.

Pointless Cogs: play.net >> Where adventure finds you. / play.net >> Where adventure finds you.

Metalskeleton: play.net >> Where adventure finds you. / play.net >> Where adventure finds you.

Actually pretty nice: play.net >> Where adventure finds you.

To me, Machinery is a bit more than a Display of mechanical Parts. If something complex is supposed to be mechanical, then at least give it a housing where i can believe that an actual Machine could be in. Then add some Wirecontrols, Pistons, and Cogs - but please don't put the Pieces in Places where they're obviously ineffectual.

I guess it depends on what the lore behind the gearsmith stuff is...

Are the machines supposed to be working machines, like our robots today? In this case the design of the machines is important. Having a Cog as a joint instead of some sort of hinge doesn't make much sense in that case.

or..

Are the machines just bits of metal forged together and brought to "life" by magic? Just like what was mentioned earlier, with the undead. The bits of metal and what not is just a frame and it doesn’t have to work scientifically.

I kind of agree? hehe but the only thing is I see machines everywhere in real life! It just seems that these machines would require a certain level of intelligence. In "real" life there is a question to whether or not undead or ghosts actually exist. I see where you are going with it, but then again I am just expressing what I would like to see, regardless of the machines, I still realllly want to play :smiley:

I've always liked a bit of magitek or engineering or gear-magic or whatever form it takes in fantasy games. To me it adds another nice flavor to the mix, spices things up a bit from the traditional tolkien-esk fantasy setting. That said I don't really have any plans to do anything with gear in HJ (at least as it is currently understood- that could change), I just like having it around.

Ripert said:
I guess it depends on what the lore behind the gearsmith stuff is... [...] Are the machines just bits of metal forged together and brought to "life" by magic? Just like what was mentioned earlier, with the undead. The bits of metal and what not is just a frame and it doesn’t have to work scientifically.
That's absolutely true, and there's no Question that there's at least some Core of Magic that makes them "live". But If they're just animated Metalframes, then they're Golems, right ? And not "mechanical".

As to what they're supposed to be, i refer to Peek 12. It says that the Creatures have a "chemical Heartbrain", and they're referred to as "Machines", "mechanical", "Contraptions" and "Clockwork". So i don't think the 'Toks are supposed to be Metalgolems (although the Word is used, too). ...but admittedly, the Concept Art in this Peek, and also in Peek 17, disperses my Concerns about mechanical Beasts in Heros Journey.

I like the Touch of Steampunk in the Game - it just shouldn't be too prevalent.

Back