main page change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyriana

Cadet
If you look at the HJ main page, there has been a very subtle update or change. At the bottom in the what is HJ section, they took out the currently in production, with a scheduled 2007 release part and changed it to Currently in production. Hero's Journey promises fun, fast-paced action..... Kind of sneaky of them. Wish they would give us a real update. I'm a bit tired of buying EQ2 expansions, would rather spend my money on the game I really want to play.

Is it really that sneaky? Why is it sneaky? They're just doing what everyone has cried for them to do for a while now. "Stop lying! Tell the truth! Put it right!"

But when they changed everything, a lot of people started saying "See!? I knew it. It's never coming out."

Updates have been given as screen shots and HE news. HE speaks of the features, possibilities, of HJ because it is the main toolset of HJ. In this, there has been HJ news in the form of HE development.

Other game companies give such sort of updates all the time, but this is considered different with hj. Why is that? Every other game I've ever kept an eye on actually gave some worse updated. "Five new screenshots! Have fun, folks!" Now people complain about it, but they didn't then. Now, it's not enough, and Simu is giving more, but it's not enough. Why?

Sorry, I know it's not meant to make me flustered, but it does annoy me after seeing so many posts.

If you look at the HJ main page, there has been a very subtle update or change. At the bottom in the what is HJ section, they took out the currently in production, with a scheduled 2007 release part and changed it to Currently in production. Hero's Journey promises fun, fast-paced action..... Kind of sneaky of them. Wish they would give us a real update. I'm a bit tired of buying EQ2 expansions, would rather spend my money on the game I really want to play.

It's not intended as sneaky, as Pinnelipe said.

Trust me, it's worth the wait. B-)

Updates have been given as screen shots and HE news. HE speaks of the features, possibilities, of HJ because it is the main toolset of HJ. In this, there has been HJ news in the form of HE development.

Other game companies give such sort of updates all the time, but this is considered different with hj. Why is that? Every other game I've ever kept an eye on actually gave some worse updated. "Five new screenshots! Have fun, folks!" Now people complain about it, but they didn't then. Now, it's not enough, and Simu is giving more, but it's not enough. Why?

I don't want to fluster you more, but I do have to ask in case I've been missing it.

What have they given us? There has been no updates to the site since October, and that was an announcement that they were opening up dev applications.

What Kyriana mentions does seem to be the only noticeable change (not that I noticed it lol) in 6 months now.

I have heard nothing in the news other than their change in location, and that was not even posted on the HJ site. They change nothing on the site, no updates, not even a link to the new ooo's and ahh's about the hero engine. I've heard they don't have a web admin for the HJ site, but they still manage updates on the HE site I see.

I don't go to the HE site, I always expected I would get game related news from the games website, not the advertisement site for the engine. It's not exactly logical to expect non techies to go to the technical site for the engine to get game updates.

Have there been any screenshots released other than the ones on Aug. 8? (Not including the videos on the HE site). Would be nice if I missed them. Is there something going on in their forums that those of us who can't seem to use them are missing?

I can understand your point of view. You get to work on the game, and likely see much more than we do, so are frustrated at hearing people who aren't in the loop not understanding how great it is.

That said those of us outside the company and GM pool rarely hear anything. When we do now it is very little, very far in between, and most of it seems like advertisement hype for the hero engine. Most games do give more, unless they are very early in development.

This isn't a whine of give me more, I've given up on hearing anything until the game is released. lol

I for one don't really see an update for Hero's Engine as an update for Hero's Journey. Even though the engine is used to build the game it is not the game, and if for some reason the game goes under the engine will probably continue as a financial tool. There have been critics of HJ and Simutronics that have said HJ is smoke and mirrors, nothing more than a marketing tool to push the engine. I myself don't particularly agree with that assessment, but I think a lot of people who were avidly awaiting the game are beginning to think HJ will never see the light of day. I had gotten so many friends excited about it 6 or 9 months ago when it was alluded to 2nd quarter of 2007 release. There was news at least every month just about that I could point them to, but recently everyone is like yeah, whatever I doubt it's coming out. I still excited about the game to some degree, because I think it holds nearly everything great that an mmo could be, and I've played nearly every major and some non major mmo since original Everquest. And I tend to be a rather finicky player, as soon as a game gets bogged down in tedium and time wasting I tend to be a bit fickle and look elsewhere or also if i get bored with a class I tend to start over or again look elsewhere for fulfillment. HJ seems like the game that will give me and I know a lot of other plays what they need and want in an mmo. I just hope we see the game sooner rather than much later, or unfortunately some or a lot of eager HJ fans will be so engrossed in other games, existing and soon to be arriving games such as AoC and Warhammer, that they will have forgotten about HJ or won't be bothered to even give it a try. I know that may be kind of a bleak or pessimistic view, and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it's that farfetched.

No, I'm not frustrated with others not knowing how great it is. That isn't it at all. Really, the reasons can be seen at MMORPG.com forums. I'm sorry.

Look at the HE page. It's somewhere around here in a link someone gave right when it changed. They have new videos up of the things their engine is capable of that they showed at GDC. Also, I don't remember when the last screenshots came out. Time has been still and moving at the same time for me. I think that WAS the October release.

I know people are frustrated with the lack of information. I understand. I really really do, and believe me when I say all of the GMs here do. However, It doesn't help anyone to get annoyed at the lack of information, or give up. Just float when it comes to this.. Be happy with other things and know that this still exists, but is not yet out.

Keep in mind they were asking for a new web page maker person, so the webpage may be out of date.

For Immediate Dissemination To All Concerned Parties:

May it be known that your frustrations, waning confidences, and feelings of indignance are fully appreciable and reasonable in the light of recent events, or lack thereof.

May it be further known that such frustrations, once voiced calmly and rationally, need not be raised repeatedly, unrestricted, and with escalating levels of complaint.

Note: It is one thing to comment on disappointment. It is quite another to dwell upon matters and consistantly voice negative and destructive viewpoints on such matters. If you don't have something to contribute to the community with, please refrain from simply voicing your discontent for the sake of voicing it alone.

That is all.

*grins*

~Dune~

For Immediate Dissemination To All Concerned Parties:

May it be known that your frustrations, waning confidences, and feelings of indignance are fully appreciable and reasonable in the light of recent events, or lack thereof.

May it be further known that such frustrations, once voiced calmly and rationally, need not be raised repeatedly, unrestricted, and with escalating levels of complaint.

Note: It is one thing to comment on disappointment. It is quite another to dwell upon matters and consistantly voice negative and destructive viewpoints on such matters. If you don't have something to contribute to the community with, please refrain from simply voicing your discontent for the sake of voicing it alone.

That is all.

*grins*

~Dune~
My name is Gate and I approve this message

I know people are frustrated with the lack of information. I understand. I really really do, and believe me when I say all of the GMs here do. However, It doesn't help anyone to get annoyed at the lack of information, or give up. Just float when it comes to this..

I'm floating...

But, I do wonder; If all GM's understand the frustration why don't they ask simu's inhouse staff for the permission to tell the community about HJ-stuff? I mean, they are pretty dependent on the GM's and that would give the GM's a pretty strong voice.

As GM's are closer to the fan-community it would be pretty cool if they could deliver stuff to the fans instead of manically defending the lousy PR of the game. As I understand it the voluntary GM-developing system is unique, so why not make the PR system unique as well and let the GM's take care of it?

I know it needs to be some sort of restriction on info-releases but that could be decided by the inhouse staff, but after that let the GM's work freely and write articles (about features, lore, art, to work with heroblade) , release screens or whatever (maybe after inhouse team's blessings).

So GM's! make your voices heard and start support your game's fans instead of only cleaning your bosses dirty laundry!

...or whatever...
(sorry for the tiny offtopic)

As GM's are closer to the fan-community it would be pretty cool if they could deliver stuff to the fans instead of manically defending the lousy PR of the game. As I understand it the voluntary GM-developing system is unique, so why not make the PR system unique as well and let the GM's take care of it?

This sort of thing sets off a little alarm in my mind going "warning! danger! danger!" While I agree that more info is good, GMs are not the right people to be deciding what the public image of HJ is. A company needs to carefully market their product to make sure the right impression is made on potential consumers. Too much unfiltered info could easily lead to a muddled, contradictory (as things no doubt change), and well... things stated in one way sound really good, but if you say the same thing using different words you can drive people off.

Most GMs are unpaid, uninformed, and lacking in authority. They don't call any shots, and really are powerless to get any info released.

Asking a GM to try and get info is like asking a stage hand to get an interview from a famous director for you. It doesn't happen. GMs are by and large the every day schmoes who do all the little bits and pieces, much like a stage hand does all the hard work of putting a set together, but at the end of the day, they're still just a stage hand. They just do what the boss tells them, and enjoy the chance to be part of something massive and amazing.

The people who are GMs? They're ordinary people. They have day jobs, they have kids, they do this stuff in their spare time. And the things they really want to talk about they're told they can't, due to a very firm NDA.

They're trying, they really are. But it's the people above the GMs who are the gatekeepers. The hold all the keys, they watch all the doors, and they call the shots. The GMs just make it happen. *grins*

~Dune~

I'm willing to wait...
And I'm very glad for the new top-secret approach. I'd rather not be strung along. I'll come and play when it comes out (I better get an e-mail request for me to be in beta... as should everybody who posts on Hero's Hall).

So all I need to know is my beta code the day it comes out, be that tomorrow or 3/15/2010.

My origonal prediction when Simu first showed HJ off at 2005 GDC was it would be released Summer of 2008 (on HJ's site it was advertised for an "2nd quarter of 2006" release at the time:Reference). It looks like I may have to eat my words though. I also said Gemstone's Savant & Monk would be released late 2006, and how wrong I was on that front...

As far as GMs releasing information, we are completely unable to talk about things that are not public knowledge.

You have to realize, many of us HAVE asked for permission to talk about things, but we consistently get a no.

And honestly, I think it's much better this way. At least now we have set boundaries.

It sucks having to bite my tongue, but it's also better in the long run for the game. Sometimes I wonder if some of our game's features were not talked about when they were, if we would still be the only game boasting most of them. Sadly, the other game companies -know- how good Simutronics is at doing things (even if it is slow sometimes).

I think this should end here, there is nothing we can say, provoking us will not spill the beans, and it does nothing more than make it harder to come back to the forums each time it happens.

I agree with Diviana. While we like to have freedom of speech and what have you here... continuous and countless threads of this manner really serve no purpose. And when GM attacks and blame are pulled in... then that discourages them from posting here altogether.

Here's a couple of facts
Fact: It's not the GMs' fault about lack of info or what they can/can't tell us.
Fact: We won't get any information until Simu is good and ready to release it.
Fact: People will probably get frustrated and leave because they aren't given any information.
Fact: There will still be those who check back anyway to see if something's done.

Fact: I didn't want to have to do this, but I will start to close any further threads on this matter unless they're somehow constructive (I doubt it - they don't ever tend to be).

The alternative? Push away all the GMs we do have who tell us what they can and are a part of our community. Having them here is not only great for them (gives them a chance to be a part of the community as well) but once the game is in beta/release, I'm sure they'll still be able to stop by here still.

I understand everyone gets frustrated. The GMs are frustrated to all getout that they can't say anything. However, there is NO point in hashing and rehashing what we all know as fact.

You haven't spent any money yet, so you aren't out anything more than time.

Did anyone actually blame the GM's for not tell the community anything?

..anyhow, I hope Naeya wont be the only one judging if a thread is constructive or not but generally I think all non constructive threads should be closed.

Did anyone actually blame the GM's for not tell the community anything?

..anyhow, I hope Naeya wont be the only one judging if a thread is constructive or not but generally I think all non constructive threads should be closed.

I just wanted to quote this for emphasis and maybe this is just my feeling but I feel that Naeya's was the only post that went out of line in this thread.

There was some lack of knowledge when a couple things were posted like Dyngo asking the GMs to ask about being able to tell more but really I thought the thread was not too far out of line on anything and I actually understood a lot more from it than I had before.

Hero's Journey will release when it is finally ready. Enjoy the community here in the meantime. Eventually, the flood gates will open and all your HJ dreams will be fulfilled.
If you grow wary of waiting, then enjoy another game in the meantime.

Locking this thread lest it digress further into the cesspool of despair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back