Make an episode of Alias as a play!

Sabella had this great idea that we should write an Alias episode as a play! Maybe like one of the future season finales. I think it'd be cool because we would have all the main characters, and the basic plot, but we could build from that to make an episode of our own!

Here are the decisions we've made so far about the play:

1. The action takes place in a Cube, a life-sized version of the Rambaldi box from Season 3.

2. The characters we're using are Syd, Vaughn, Jack, Sloane, Nadia, Katya, Sark,
Marshall, Dixon and possibly Irina.

3. The plot involves the Cube being used to fulfill a Rambaldi prophecy about how unless Irina is inside it, the Chosen One will die.

4: The thrust of the play involves the characters, split into five pairs, forced to work together to escape the Cube, battling each other's demons with each other in the process.

BTW, if you like writing plays, you could help write one in the Performing Arts section of AllAlias!

I really like the idea of writing an Alias episode play, I think it could be fantastic. Think of the possibilities!...

We could actually have Sydney, Jack, Sloane, Nadia, Irina, Katya, Vaughn & Sark all in the one room playing off each other. The chances of that happening in the show itself are slim to none.

Here's a thought: what if we came up with some kind of storyline which forced these eight characters into a room where their interaction & teamwork was central to their survival, a bit like the film Cube. They could be stuck in a Rambaldi puzzle & have to face the problems each of them have with each other in order to escape. Anyone think that's a good idea?... :thinking:

:thud: That's a great idea!!!! It could be like somewhere near the end of a season where they all go out in serach of the Rambaldi Artifact at the same time, and they all have to work together in a non-cheasy sort of way to get it :lol: And they could be poking fun at each other and making snide remarks along the way :lol: And Rambaldi might have constructed the puzzle so that they have to split up and go with their enemy (like Vaughn with Sark, Sydney with Anna, etc.)

Oh this is going to be so much fun :jump:

facade47 said:
:thud:  That's a great idea!!!!  It could be like somewhere near the end of a season where they all go out in serach of the Rambaldi Artifact at the same time, and they all have to work together in a non-cheasy sort of way to get it :lol: And they could be poking fun at each other and making snide remarks along the way  :lol:  And Rambaldi might have constructed the puzzle so that they have to split up and go with their enemy (like Vaughn with Sark, Sydney with Anna, etc.)

Oh this is going to be so much fun :jump:
[post="1239598"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Glad you like the idea, i'm really excited by it!.

I really like your idea about Rambaldi building the puzzle so the good guys have to work with the bad guys. Match-ups i'd love: Syd & Sark; Nadia & Jack; Irina & Vaughn; Sloane & Dixon; and maybe Marshall & Katya or Anna, just for the comedy value. :D

So, if we've settled on the Rambaldi-Cube idea, how about we decide what the artifact they're after is?. Why is it in the cube?. And why are all these characters so desperate to get it?...

Then, maybe, we should decide exactly which characters are going to be involved in the story & list the issues each of them have with each other, to extract the maximum amount of drama.

You know, you're right. This is gonna be ace!... (y)

The artifact..... :Ponder: .......

Maybe it's the artifact before Rambaldi's endgame. Like they need this one to find the final Rambaldi artifact. Argh, I don't know exactly what it could be, though. :thinking:

:lol: I love the idea of Marshall & Katya :rotflmao:

Oh, and the characters, of course :lol: Here's some that I could of off the top of my head....

Syd
Jack
Irina
Katya
Nadia
Sark
Vaughn
Sloane
Dixon
Anna
Marshall

Did I forget anyone?

I think you have pretty much covered the main, most interesting, characters. How about we settle on Syd, Jack, Sloane, Irina, Vaughn, Katya, Dixon, Marshall, Nadia & Sark?. That's ten characters, five pairings. Did think about throwing Will in to partner Anna, but I don't think either are really necessary. What d'you think?. Agree with 10/5?...

Now, let's see, the issues (not counting obvious ones like Syd loving Vaughn, or vice versa & caring about the good guys):

- Syd despises Sloane for SD-6, Danny, Francie & so on; she hates Sark because he helped kill Francie & is generally a bad guy; she's angry with Irina for the constant betrayals; has a tempestuous relationship with Jack; and dislikes Katya because she can't trust her.
- Jack loves Syd completely but often screws her life up trying to protect her; he hates/loves Irina because of their past; distrusts/hates, yet is drawn to Sloane because of their past; dislikes Vaughn because he thinks he's not good enough for Syd; and is attracted to Katya despite her sister.
- Sloane has a creepy affection for Syd but still would sacrifice her; he seems to love Nadia, but again possibly would sacrifice her; cares about Jack because of their past; maybe is still attracted to Irina because of their past; he maybe knows Katya of old; and possibly still holds resentment toward Dixon for him accidentally killing Emily.
- Irina appears to love Syd but possibly sees her as a threat to her endgame; she maybe loves Nadia, a daughter she's always wanted to find; she deep down loves Jack, despite betraying him repeatedly; she hates Sloane because of their past; has an affection for Sark because of their past; has an unknown relationship with Katya; and feels guilty, perhaps, with Vaughn because of what she did to his father.
- Vaughn doesn't get along with Jack because of the man's dislike of his Syd-relationship; hates Sloane for what he did to Syd; despises Irina for killing his father; hates Sark for the whole Lauren-thing; and probably dislikes Katya for trying to kill him.
- Katya is attracted to Jack; she doesn't seem to have much time for Sloane; and is possibly protective of Nadia, but seems to want Syd dead (maybe like her sister).
- Dixon dislikes Sark for being a bad guy; and he despises Sloane for killing his wife.
- Marshall is just, well, Marshall...
- Nadia cares about Syd, her sister; she loves Sloane, her father, though maybe can't really trust him; same for her mother Irina & aunt Katya.
- Sark fancies Syd; he hates Vaughn for being her love & for killing Lauren; and he sees Irina as a mother-figure.

Phew!. Sorry about the length, it's just those are all (I think) the main dramatic issues the characters have with each other that we could tap into. I'm really getting fired up about this now!. Can you tell?... :D

I was thinking, though, in terms of story & believability, how we can get all these characters together. I mean, Irina is supposed to be dead & even if she was alive we don't know really how she & Katya interact & she's never met Nadia. I see this as the main problem. All the others we could put in a room & get away with, they're all current characters, but Irina would be tricky.

Just had a thought: instead of the Rambaldi mcguffin being an artifact, what if it turns out to be Irina?. Remember the Rambaldi box etched with 'Irina'?. What if we made that into a clue?. What if we said that box was a symbol, indicating that Irina (after being presumed dead, or missing) could be found in a labyrinth Rambaldi box, perhaps being operated by the Followers or Magnific Order?. Or the Covenant?. Then, halfway through, they find her. Recriminations follow between the characters & it turns out the box is a big trap designed to kill all those lured inside & they must work together to escape.

What d'you think?. The idea excite you, or not?... :cool:

AJB said:
What d'you think?. Agree with 10/5?...
[post="1240314"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah!!!

AJB said:
Phew!. Sorry about the length, it's just those are all (I think) the main dramatic issues the characters have with each other that we could tap into. I'm really getting fired up about this now!. Can you tell?... :D

(y)

:lol: I'm really excited too!!! I can't wait until we have the pre-description down, and start to write the first draft :jump:

AJB said:
I was thinking, though, in terms of story & believability, how we can get all these characters together. I mean, Irina is supposed to be dead & even if she was alive we don't know really how she & Katya interact & she's never met Nadia. I see this as the main problem. All the others we could put in a room & get away with, they're all current characters, but Irina would be tricky.

Just had a thought: instead of the Rambaldi mcguffin being an artifact, what if it turns out to be Irina?. Remember the Rambaldi box etched with 'Irina'?. What if we made that into a clue?. What if we said that box was a symbol, indicating that Irina (after being presumed dead, or missing) could be found in a labyrinth Rambaldi box, perhaps being operated by the Followers or Magnific Order?. Or the Covenant?. Then, halfway through, they find her. Recriminations follow between the characters & it turns out the box is a big trap designed to kill all those lured inside & they must work together to escape.

What d'you think?. The idea excite you, or not?... :cool:

Yeah, the believability would be sort of awkward, especially if Irina turns out to be dead.

Oh!!! I just had an idea!!! We can't really do anything with how Irina interacts with Katya, since JJ hasn't revealed that yet. But, how 'bout this.... (Oh, BTW, I agree with you with Irina being the "artifact"... :D )

Let's say that if Irina is dead, then the Rambaldi followers had stolen her body and hid it in the center of the "Cube"

And if she's not dead....well....
Hey, maybe if she's not dead we could say that she willingly went to the center of the Cube. That way, we could avoid the weird confrontation with Nadia and dodge from what we don't know about her connection to Katya! :lol:

Maybe the Rambaldi prophesy said that the Chosen One would die if Irina wasn't in the center of the Cube. If she's dead, the Rambaldi followers would take her body there, because they still need Syd to fulfill the Prophesy. And if she's alive, then she wouldn't want her daughter dead.

:lol: That was long winded! What parts do you agree/disagree on?

Oh!!! I just had an idea!!! We can't really do anything with how Irina interacts with Katya, since JJ hasn't revealed that yet. But, how 'bout this.... (Oh, BTW, I agree with you with Irina being the "artifact"... :D )

Let's say that if Irina is dead, then the Rambaldi followers had stolen her body and hid it in the center of the "Cube"

And if she's not dead....well....
Hey, maybe if she's not dead we could say that she willingly went to the center of the Cube. That way, we could avoid the weird confrontation with Nadia and dodge from what we don't know about her connection to Katya! :lol:

Maybe the Rambaldi prophesy said that the Chosen One would die if Irina wasn't in the center of the Cube. If she's dead, the Rambaldi followers would take her body there, because they still need Syd to fulfill the Prophesy. And if she's alive, then she wouldn't want her daughter dead.

:lol: That was long winded! What parts do you agree/disagree on?
[post="1241424"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
[/quote]

Okay. First off, i'm pleased you like the whole idea of Irina being the artifact, cos I think that is far more interesting than just throwing up another Rambaldi sphere or machine.

But, i've been thinking about this, and I reckon we should veer away from revealing anything spacific about Rambaldi's prophecy or anything like that. I mean, we don't know what it's really about yet, do we?. Sure, we know that Syd/Nadia seem destined to fight & that the <0> represents them battling over something/someone, but we don't know specifics. I think this play should be less plot & more character, which as i'm sure you know, is the structure for stage drama rather than TV.

The film Cube, which inspired the idea in me, was like this. You've probably seen it, so you'll remember there was no real explanation about what the Cube was for or who made it or why those people were chosen. It was about survival and teamwork & explanation was ditched. I reckon we should do it this way & instead concentrate on the characters battling with each other's demons as they attempt to survive.

However, I think your suggestions were very interesting. I think we do need to decide on certain things before we proceed. I've made a few questions I believe need addressing:

1. Is Irina alive or dead inside the Cube?. (I like your idea that maybe the Followers took her there or helped her get there)
2. Either way, why is she there?. (Is it to get something?. Or to fulfill part of the Prophecy, as you suggested?. I know I said we should veer from all this, but your idea that the Chosen One would die if she weren't there is an interesting one)
3. If she's alive, do we have her interacting with only certain characters & avoid the trick business, as you mentioned, of her facing Nadia & Katya?. Do we write it so they don't know she's in there?.
4. How do the other characters get to the Cube?. (Do they go there looking for something?. Looking for Irina?. Are they captured & placed there by the Followers or the Covenant or someone else?)
5. Do we start the play with them in the Cube, or do we start with them looking for it?. (I'd suggest we start them in the Cube for dramatic & script reasons)
6. Are the characters all together at the beginning, or have they already been separated into five pairs in different areas of the Cube?.
7. Which characters do we pair off together & what issues are they going to have to face up to?.
8. How do we end the play? (With the characters still trapped in the Cube?. With them escaping?.)

I'm sure there are lots of other questions I haven't considered, so feel free to hit me with them. I'd really like to know what you think about all these questions & how we should approach the first draft.

I reckon the next thing we need to do is answer question 7 & decide what the central themes of the play are going to be, aside from survival & teamwork?. Love?. Betrayal?. All the classic Alias ingredients?. What d'you think?... :thinking:

AJB said:
But, i've been thinking about this, and I reckon we should veer away from revealing anything spacific about Rambaldi's prophecy or anything like that. I mean, we don't know what it's really about yet, do we?. Sure, we know that Syd/Nadia seem destined to fight & that the <0> represents them battling over something/someone, but we don't know specifics. I think this play should be less plot & more character, which as i'm sure you know, is the structure for stage drama rather than TV.
[post="1244023"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I agree :smiley:
AJB said:
The film Cube, which inspired the idea in me, was like this. You've probably seen it, so you'll remember there was no real explanation about what the Cube was for or who made it or why those people were chosen. It was about survival and teamwork & explanation was ditched. I reckon we should do it this way & instead concentrate on the characters battling with each other's demons as they attempt to survive.
Actually, I haven't seen that film. :lol: but I see what you mean when you say that we shouldn't go off explaining what we don't know... :lol:
AJB said:
1. Is Irina alive or dead inside the Cube?. (I like your idea that maybe the Followers took her there or helped her get there)
2. Either way, why is she there?. (Is it to get something?. Or to fulfill part of the Prophecy, as you suggested?. I know I said we should veer from all this, but your idea that the Chosen One would die if she weren't there is an interesting one)
3. If she's alive, do we have her interacting with only certain characters & avoid the trick business, as you mentioned, of her facing Nadia & Katya?. Do we write it so they don't know she's in there?.
4. How do the other characters get to the Cube?. (Do they go there looking for something?. Looking for Irina?. Are they captured & placed there by the Followers or the Covenant or someone else?)
5. Do we start the play with them in the Cube, or do we start with them looking for it?. (I'd suggest we start them in the Cube for dramatic & script reasons)
6. Are the characters all together at the beginning, or have they already been separated into five pairs in different areas of the Cube?.
7. Which characters do we pair off together & what issues are they going to have to face up to?.
8. How do we end the play? (With the characters still trapped in the Cube?. With them escaping?.)

I'm sure there are lots of other questions I haven't considered, so feel free to hit me with them. I'd really like to know what you think about all these questions & how we should approach the first draft.

I reckon the next thing we need to do is answer question 7 & decide what the central themes of the play are going to be, aside from survival & teamwork?. Love?. Betrayal?. All the classic Alias ingredients?. What d'you think?... :thinking:

1. I'm glad you liked that idea :D Umm, I don't know about Irina being dead or alive...that would sort of depend on what the show reveals this season. For now, we could assume she's dead, since that's as far as we know.

2. Would it be okay if she was there to fulfill the prophecy, dead or alive :thinking:

3. Maybe they don't know that she's the "artifact", and them finding her in the middle could be the "cliffhanger" ending :lol: :angelic:

4. I sort of like the idea of having the Followers put them there to fulfill the prophecy. Either that or they all got the same intel about where the "artifact" was, and they all got there at the same time. But.....

5. .....maybe they're already there, and the cliffhanger from the "previous episode" (this is almost sounding like a screenplay :lol: ) was them arriving there at the same time...or the Followers placing them there.... And you're right, I think we should have them already in the Cube.

6. I'm not sure about this one.... :thinking:

7. Ahh, yes. The almighty question :lol: I'd start posting ideas, but I don't have much more time before I have to leave.

8. See No. 3 :lol:

Thoughts?.....

Oh, by the way, we're using New York as our setting in that play...Just thought you might want to know...^_^

Okay, let's list the decisions we've made so far about this play:

1. The action takes place in a Cube, a life-sized version of the Rambaldi box from Season 3.

2. The characters we're using are Syd, Vaughn, Jack, Sloane, Nadia, Katya, Sark,

3. The plot involves the Cube being used to fulfill a Rambaldi prophecy about how unless Irina is inside it, the Chosen One will die.

4: The thrust of the play involves the characters, split into five pairs, forced to work together to escape the Cube, battling each other's demons with each other in the process.

Right, in regards to the plot, I've had some thoughts. As much as I would love to see Irina interacting with Jack, or Syd or Vaughn or any of them for that matter, I don't think we should have her alive. I think we should start the play with the characters all dumped in separate rooms of the Cube, split off into partnership, where they relate the back-story. All of them had been following intel suggesting Irina was alive, some from the CIA, some from other sources, but all ended up being captured by the Followers, who dumped them in the Cube. As they try escaping, all the characters realise they're in spacific pairs for a reason & only in those pairs can they outwit Rambaldi's Cube booby traps. Perhaps Sloane, Nadia or Katya explain the Followers are fulfilling a prophecy which states that unless all the characters work together, the Chosen One will die. Perhaps this prophecy also states that if the characters succeed, Irina will be reborn. This leads them to deduce that the dead Irina is in the centre of the Cube & maybe Syd & Nadia find each other & attempt to reach her at the play's climax. The ending sees them escape & the prophecy is fulfilled, but Syd & Nadia maybe find the Cube centre empty. It's left ambiguous whether Irina has 'risen' or even was there in the first place. That's where we could leave it.

I know i'm suggesting we use prophecies & all that, but I think we can get away with this. Who knows how many Rambaldi prophecies there were, who's to say there was just one?. This could be another & I don't think it really interferes with the overarching series storylines either. Besides, if we put the Rambaldi thing in the background & have the play more about the characters interacting & facing their demons, the mythology elements we can get away with. What d'you think?. D'you like my plot outline?...

Oh, and if we aren't going to have Irina involved, we need a replacement character to keep the 10/5. I suggest Will with Vaughn, instead of Irina. They could battle over Syd's feelings towards each of them, especially in the wake of Syd/Will in S3. Agree?... :D

No chance, this is a dream project!. Who wants to adapt Shakespeare, when you can create Alias?!.

What d'you think of the idea?. How about you help us create it?... :D

Yeah sure, so what do you want to happen? We could create one of those awesome season finale type episodes (y) I dunno, what would you like to see in it, personally I think that the first episode would the best in theatre or phase one!

Have you read what we've come up with so far?. We're not adapting a past Alias episode, but coming up with a new one. It's a bit like the film Cube, but with a Rambaldi spin. Read the rest of this thread. (y)

Yeah it looks good, I think that we should have Will back or even maybe you could francie in the cube because somehow she is related to Rambaldi! :blink: No that was just me getting carried away :nonono:

Hmmm, yeah, let's leave the Francinator dead, shall we?... :D

But I think we should really put Will in there. I'd never have got rid of him in the first place...

AJB said:
Okay, let's list the decisions we've made so far about this play:

1.  The action takes place in a Cube, a life-sized version of the Rambaldi box from Season 3.

2.  The characters we're using are Syd, Vaughn, Jack, Sloane, Nadia, Katya, Sark,

3.  The plot involves the Cube being used to fulfill a Rambaldi prophecy about how unless Irina is inside it, the Chosen One will die.

4:  The thrust of the play involves the characters, split into five pairs, forced to work together to escape the Cube, battling each other's demons with each other in the process.

Right, in regards to the plot, I've had some thoughts. As much as I would love to see Irina interacting with Jack, or Syd or Vaughn or any of them for that matter, I don't think we should have her alive. I think we should start the play with the characters all dumped in separate rooms of the Cube, split off into partnership, where they relate the back-story. All of them had been following intel suggesting Irina was alive, some from the CIA, some from other sources, but all ended up being captured by the Followers, who dumped them in the Cube. As they try escaping, all the characters realise they're in spacific pairs for a reason & only in those pairs can they outwit Rambaldi's Cube booby traps. Perhaps Sloane, Nadia or Katya explain the Followers are fulfilling a prophecy which states that unless all the characters work together, the Chosen One will die. Perhaps this prophecy also states that if the characters succeed, Irina will be reborn. This leads them to deduce that the dead Irina is in the centre of the Cube & maybe Syd & Nadia find each other & attempt to reach her at the play's climax. The ending sees them escape & the prophecy is fulfilled, but Syd & Nadia maybe find the Cube centre empty. It's left ambiguous whether Irina has 'risen' or even was there in the first place. That's where we could leave it.

I know i'm suggesting we use prophecies & all that, but I think we can get away with this. Who knows how many Rambaldi prophecies there were, who's to say there was just one?. This could be another & I don't think it really interferes with the overarching series storylines either. Besides, if we put the Rambaldi thing in the background & have the play more about the characters interacting & facing their demons, the mythology elements we can get away with. What d'you think?. D'you like my plot outline?...

Oh, and if we aren't going to have Irina involved, we need a replacement character to keep the 10/5. I suggest Will with Vaughn, instead of Irina. They could battle over Syd's feelings towards each of them, especially in the wake of Syd/Will in S3. Agree?... :D
[post="1247319"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

(y) I agree with the plot outline, and I most definately agree with a Will/Vaughn partnership... :D I like what you said about ending the play when Syd finds the center of the cube empty. And all that stuff about Irina being reborn...so cool! And we wouldn't have to explain it if we ended the play with the center being empty! :lol: And about Syd and Nadia, Maybe what happened was they were separated from their partners, found each other, and at the same time thier partners found each other, thus forming two new pairs :lol: Is that confusing?....

Sabella said:
lol, I thought everyone would just think I was nuts when I said that :lol:
[post="1247468"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Hi, Sabella :eek:ldhi: I'm so glad you want to help!!! And of course no one thought you were nuts :lol: This is going to be so awesome!!

facade47 said:
(y)  I agree with the plot outline, and I most definately agree with a Will/Vaughn partnership...  :D  I like what you said about ending the play when Syd finds the center of the cube empty.  And all that stuff about Irina being reborn...so cool!  And we wouldn't have to explain it if we ended the play with the center being empty!  :lol:  And about Syd and Nadia, Maybe what happened was they were separated from their partners, found each other, and at the same time thier partners found each other, thus forming two new pairs :lol:  Is that confusing?....
[post="1248601"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Hey, this is great, I'm really glad you like my plot outline. I think it allows us to play in the world of Alias & do a bit of the mystery without actually stepping on J. J's toes. (y)

I don't think you're suggesting is confusing at all, no. Makes perfect sense. If we went by the pairings I suggested, that would mean Sark would leave Syd & meet up with Jack, who was with Nadia. I think it'd be great to throw those two in a room and let them unravel! :cool:

Right then, we have the plot outline; we have the setting; we have the characters we want to use; we know where it begins; we know pretty much how it ends. I reckon the next thing to do is to figure out which characters pair up with who and what issues they could face. Here are my suggestions:

1. Syd & Sark. Here we could amp up sexual tension between them. Sark has always fancied Syd & we could have him very flirtatious. I'm not suggesting Syd reciprocates, but she could feel a slight sexual energy, one muted when she remembers how Sark was one of those responsible for killing Francie. Maybe also he could feel similar anger to her for killing both Lauren and his father Lazarey. It could be a great pairing.

2. Jack & Nadia. Although it appears both are good guys & start off working productively, we could have Jack face his anger about how Nadia was concieved when the woman he loved slept with his best friend. Also, Jack could feel suspicious about her in general through her past. Nadia, meanwhile, could start asking him about her mother & this brings out his guilt for killing her & maybe even Nadia could get a little suspicious of him.

3. Dixon & Sloane. For me, this could be the most interesting combination. These two have never really spoken about Sloane's actions in killing Diane, or Dixon's responsibility for Emily's accidental death. It could begin with Sloane being typically enigmatic & Dixon typically earnest, but in the end the two could come to heated argument. I reckon it'd be great if Sloane was the one who lost it & tore into Dixon about his anger at what he did.

4. Will & Vaughn. Another cracking pairing. As I said before, the two of them could really clash over their feelings for Syd. Like J & N, they could start off working together well to escape, but it could descend into them trying to justify which of them would be better for Syd, which one loves her more & which one they reckon she loves more.

5. Marshall & Katya. I'd love this one, mainly for the comedy value. For Marshall just feeling incredibly intimidated by the mysterious Derevko & babbling as they try escaping. Maybe though, through Marshall, Katya could begin admitting how she cares for her sister & for her nieces. I know we don't know much about her, but we could take a leap & despite what she did when we last saw her, we could believe she's not entirely evil!...

If you agree/disagree with these suggestions, tell me because ANY of these characters partnered with each other would be cool. For me though, these are the most interesting combinations.

And hey, once we get this decided, I don't see why we can't start getting the first draft down. Whoo-hoo!!... :D

(y) Everyting you listed looks good! :trampoline:

Now to get this thing started!!! Wheeee!! :bounces:

:Ponder:

Maybe we should start with Syd's voice in the dark saying what happened on the previous "episode" of alias. :ninja: We could have the usual Alias suspence music in the backround! :lol: Do you agree?

Hmmm, I'm not sure. Remember, this is a play, so you have to see it a bit differently from a TV episode. Music wouldn't be used quite as much & the best plays involve revealing the plot through dialogue. Stage is (unless it's experimental, abstract theatre) mostly dialogue-based, where of course TV is very visual. I'm being patronising here a little, sorry, what I said was common sense. I just want to get this right!...

I definately agree that we should start in darkness, but maybe we could have Syd not reveal a 'previously on Alias' type moment, but instead we could be hearing her thoughts. She could have just woken up inside the Cube & is asking all the questions we're asking. Where is she?. What's going on?. Why has this happened? Who is responsible?. And finally, why is Sark in the room with her?. Lights could then come up to show the Cube room set & Syd could be staring at Sark, still asleep/unconscious. The first scene could begin there, focusing on those two before shifting to another couple.

If you agree, since it was your idea to start in darkness & have a Syd voice-over, why don't you write the opening bit where Syd asks all the questions. Then, i'll follow on from there & write the first bit of the Syd/Sark scene, which we can then collaborate over?.

What d'you reckon?... (y)

Back