Man the Harpoon!!

Look *very* carefully at this photo.

Now go to this thread and watch the very first movie.

Anyone notice the rather LARGE Harpoon underneath the canopy?

Does this mean there will be Land vs Sea battles?

Do excuse if this has already bee discussed but its something that I just noticed.

I actually think that just shows off that there can be elements in the field that can be used. Not just blasting bolders onto charging monsters, but maybe one time things like the use of the harpoon to kill an incoming beast. Or maybe help weaken a sea monster you'll have to fight. I've always been hopeful with the HJ engine that stuff like that'll be included.
Maybe even more simple things like knocking over a barrel of lamp oil and igniting it with a spell or some sort of tool. So on and so forth. I think it's just an interactive piece.
Which I wonder now, will that sort of thing be totally scripted?

Would we a) have to wait for the sea monster to appear and then suddenly the option to man the harpoon opens up. Or b) we're all gathered on the ship to face our prey and while waiting Daax wonders if he can shoot the harpoon and suddenly Thaos just dodges an incoming attack. After a lot of apologizing goes on we're suddenly faced with the sea creature without our one time shot harpoon.

I don't really see anything wrong with either way. B being more interactive, but even hidden events like a would be cool cuz it'd keep you thinking when the action comes down.

Ok..I see where this is going...so basically...I'm not allowed to touch the harpoon?!

So unfair. You...stupid heads..

Now, Daax... When have we ever let you touch anything potentially dangerous? In fact, when Hero's Journey comes out, you're character will have to use an umbrella as a weapon. Or a rubber chicken. I mean, we can't take all the choice away from you! *mumble: "...Not that we won't try."* >.>

In the E3 demo video near the end they have a not-quite-cutscene at the end where you man a catapult by stepping into a trigger circle and blow up a bridge. I assume any large equipment, such as the ballista in that picture would be triggered this way. Incidently, this I think is an answer to someone's question from another thread about the landslide in that same demo. I think perhaps a person would step into a trigger circle, and if they had an appropriate ability, would be able to trigger it. In the demo, the circle in this case is not visible because its another character triggering it. It also probably works similar to the combat combos except in that case the trigger circle is created by another player rather than a quest event.

HA! With a rubber chicken, I could easily overthrow a society. Gotta give me something a little less dangerous than that. :3

Although I wish it would be manable, and be possible to have land vs. sea battles. I find it highly unlikely that it will be possible. There are lines for tanks/helicopters/planes in BF2, imagine a line to shoot the harpoon at a boat! That's a tiny factor as well.

The coding would be immense, but still, the consumer should never say 'oh it's too hard, don't worry about it'. We should always be pushing for new, and innovative ideas. Possibly this will be something we could push more.

However, maybe you are right. Maybe you can shoot it.

frostydf2 said:
Although I wish it would be manable, and be possible to have land vs. sea battles. I find it highly unlikely that it will be possible. There are lines for tanks/helicopters/planes in BF2, imagine a line to shoot the harpoon at a boat! That's a tiny factor as well.

The coding would be immense, but still, the consumer should never say 'oh it's too hard, don't worry about it'. We should always be pushing for new, and innovative ideas. Possibly this will be something we could push more.

However, maybe you are right. Maybe you can shoot it.

Well one thing looks odd about it. Unless the Haproon has some sort of chemical or magical fire power it doesn't look as if you could raise it to a high enough angle to shoot really far out or the round will hit the canopy. If it can be fired then the target would have to be relatively close as result of that.

I figured the harpoon was simply decorative. If there were real weapons, I think they would be cannons or catapults hidden somewhere.

My thoughts would be it is either not man-able, or it is only man-able through a scripted quest event like the bridge-destroying catapult in the E3 Demo. Pirate invasion quest anyone?

Okay so i'm fer thinkin' you guys just brought up some good points that might gain you XP (or possibly some other benefit) for figuring out if its just decorative, if its manable, if so 'How'? Via quest? Or only when outsiders may attack? etc or maybe you can just shoot it at your leisure? Or maybe its an unsable object that simply triggers a quest?

These are things that are just ripe for for playing HJ if you ask me. A curious lot thou art. :P

Fun in MMO's?!!! WTF!!! MMO's are suppose to be tedious work that you have to pay to do. Its like if the jews back in Germany paid Hitler money to be sent to concentration camps.

Back