March Update

Okay here's a tidbit for ya. Did you know that according to the Hero Engine brochure every company that liscenses the engine gets a copy of the game for "Reference Implementation"?

Page 6 of the 2006 HE PDF brochure says:

"In addition you have full access to the ongoing development of our AAA MMO title, Hero's Journey as a reference implementation for most of the common MMO features. This invaluable guide will speed your development efforts and serve as a powerful, real-world implementation example."

So a lot of someone's are playing it already. In it's current state.:(

Dear HJ.

We're really not asking for much. We don't care about shadows, or details the level of PC's many of us have can't render, and congrats on on the accolades thusfar. You probably could've stopped with the asthetics some time ago and still satisfied a great number of people with the simplest feature imaginable. A good game.

I gotta go beat up my chew toy for now.

Okay here's a tidbit for ya. Did you know that according to the Hero Engine brochure every company that liscenses the engine gets a copy of the game for "Reference Implementation"?

Page 6 of the 2006 HE PDF brochure says:

"In addition you have full access to the ongoing development of our AAA MMO title, Hero's Journey as a reference implementation for most of the common MMO features. This invaluable guide will speed your development efforts and serve as a powerful, real-world implementation example."

So a lot of someone's are playing it already. In it's current state.:(

Dear HJ.

We're really not asking for much. We don't care about shadows, or details the level of PC's many of us have can't render, and congrats on on the accolades thusfar. You probably could've stopped with the asthetics some time ago and still satisfied a great number of people with the simplest feature imaginable. A good game.

I gotta go beat up my chew toy for now.

I'm not sure that is correct. As far as I know they don't have any access to anything we're doing..

I think it means more like they will get a copy, not that they necessarily have one. Or perhaps they have one, but it's a personal server version that they can only play on their own server.

I'm confused. It seems that since HJ is the only game that's taking advantage of the engine, somehow liscencies have full access to something regarding it.

I understand that it's a very collabrative tool so perhaps it simply means that there is a way to technologically tie them into what's going on for questions, advice, tutorials etc without actually giving them a copy of the the game. My bad.

Hope I didn't start an MMO rumor. Yuck.

While it is difficult to fully explain what that means without providing some undisclosable information ... Yes, licensees are able to see how we implement certain aspects of the game as a reference for building their own. The main reason for this is that gameplay is built with a proprietary scripting language, so in addition to providing multi-day training, we allow them to see HSL in action. It also provides us with concrete examples for proving the power of the scripting engine in the creation of a game.

Cirakin

While it is difficult to fully explain what that means without providing some undisclosable information ... Yes, licensees are able to see how we implement certain aspects of the game as a reference for building their own. The main reason for this is that gameplay is built with a proprietary scripting language, so in addition to providing multi-day training, we allow them to see HSL in action. It also provides us with concrete examples for proving the power of the scripting engine in the creation of a game.

Cirakin

Can I claim I'm a developer interested in using the Hero Engine and get to play HJ? ;)

I guess you dont need to be a developer to be interested in HE. If you have the penny you could probably license it anyhow.

Cirakin

Thank you for clarifying that Cir. Yes, Hero Script Language and allowing them to see 'certain' aspects for reference implementaion, for "the most common MMO features". Makes their access sound somewhat limited yet probably allows them more than enough (comparisons) to go their own unique developmental route.

Or something like that.

I wonder how much it would cost to license HE? Like, if someone had, like, $30 grand, but not a gaming company, could they just be like "Well, looks like an interesting plaything." and get it, or... What?

Back