Maroon

OO sooo close!!!!
-I really thought Vaughn was going to save her!!
And I'm really glad he knocked Jack out!!!! :woot:
OO I loved it!! Can't wait for mroe!! Thanks for the pm!!

First of all, thank you very much for the wonderful replies. I’m so happy that you seem to like my story and that it will end with a bang and lots of sweet replies. Next week I will post the final two chapters in on post – as a little parting gift from me.
We’ll hear from each other next week.
Love, Danuta

What happened until now:
Sydney Bristow and Michael Vaughn are growing up together as best friends and allies. Especially Laura, Sydney's mother, supports their friendship. After their parents death, Sydney and Vaughn share a unique bond. But Amélie discovers that Jack and her husband have used their children as subjects for the project Christmas - training them for a later employment at the Agency. Sydney and Vaughn - who are immune against brainwashing - become special pills that make them forget what their father's did to them. Vaughn and his mother move to France, leaving Sydney alone with her cold father. Sydney gives Vaughn the fault and begins to hate him.

Years later they meet again when 17year old Sydney visits her Godmother Amélie in France. After many quarrels and dramatic events they fall in love with each other, both to afraid to admit their feelings. Suddenly Sydney's mother appears in France and tells the children that she has faked her death. She is member of the group "Followers of Rambaldi" and wants his prophecy to be fullfilled. This prophecy contains that Sydney and Vaughn have to sleep with each other. They will save the world with this unselfish act. They have no other choice than to do what Irina wants. Forced into their first time with each other, they have to admit their feelings and the future seems to be bright for the two lovers. But Jack and Amélie have other plans. Both know that Irina lied about the prophecy and that they have to save their children from their doomed love. With special pills (the same as before) Sydney and Vaughn are loosing their memories and simply forget each other.

Years pass. Sydney works for SD6 and Vaughn for the CIA. But they have the same problem. Weird sexual dreams are haunting them, making relationships with other people very difficult. Sydney and Vaughn meet each other again on a mission. Vaughn catches Sydney and brings her to the CIA, discovering that she has no idea what SD6 is really doing. The CIA fakes Sydney's death and she begins to work for the Agency. Living together with Vaughn in a safehouse, they both want to destroy SD6. But life is getting hader and harder for Sydney and her ever - present father is complicating her new assignment. Why hates her father Vaughn so much?

Sydney and Vaughn discover that Sloane works together with a woman named Irina Derevko - the chief of a group "Followers of Rambaldi". Irina wants the positions of CIA-Agents stationed in Poland. And Sloane is the man who is getting them for her. Sydney goes on a mission to retrieve the data and meets her old lover Noah Hicks again. To get the information she sleeps with him and destroys the fresh relationship between Vaughn and herself. After several quarrels Vaughn forgives Sydney and they discover that Derevko want to build a special machine in Warsaw and that she has been responsible that Sydney has fallen into the CIA's hands. They just don't know why. Jack panics when he notices that Sydney and Vaughn are falling in love again and that Irina is back in the game. So he is firing Vaughn as Sydney's handler and sends him to France.

After learning that her lover has been sent away, Sydney decides to end her life in hiding. But she has to fight against Derevko to win. Running off to Warsaw she soon falls in the hands of Derevko and discovers that she is her mother. Sydney gets tortured and drugged.

Vaughn's stay in France is successfull. He discovers that he knew Sydney as a baby and has a vision. Back in LA he asks Jack what has really happened. Having no other choice Jack tells Vaughn the truth. He and Sydne grew up together and have lost their memories. Jack pleads Vaughn to forget his daughter because their love is doomed. He shows him the real prophecy, but Vaughn is blinded by his love for Sydney. Following her to Warsaw he gets caught by Irina too.

Chapter 38: Maroon skin

They dragged him into a dark room. The walls were made out of brick, a moist smell hanging in the air. The first thing Vaughn noticed was Sydney. She sat on a chair, three guards surrounding her, their guns aimed at her head. The bandeau top and the short skirt were hiding almost nothing and Vaughn gasped when he saw the injuries marring her body. They had violated her too often. Blue and green spots on her stomach. A hard contrast to the creamy white skin he had kissed only days ago. Maroon bloodspots were garnishing her delicate skin like abstract art.
Pain was evident in her eyes, but Vaughn knew that Sydney was much more hurt than she showed. No one could see the pain her soul had to endure. Freeing himself from the guard’s grasp, he ran to his girlfriend and kneeled down in front of her. His hands framing her face, he was astonished when she fell into his arms, her face burying into the crook of his neck and sobbed quietly.

She was broken. Once again. And he hadn’t been there to prevent it. Backing away, Sydney could read the blame in his eyes. Shaking her head softly, she caught his lips in a short kiss – pleading him not to burden the guilt for something he hadn’t done.

“How are you?“ he asked quietly, his gaze wandering to the bloody bandage on her shoulder. His fingers touching the bump on her forehead, the wounds on her arms, the scrap on her thigh.

“Okay. They tried to freshen me up a bit before you came“ she replied softly, and to hear her voice lifted his spirits instantly. Their hands wandering on the other’s body, they tried to assure each other and themselves that they were alive and that this was real and not just a dream. A living nightmare.

“Are you able to fight?“ Vaughn whispered to the woman in front of him. This would be their only chance to escape.
Shaking her head, Sydney’s eyes once again went glassy. “I don’t think so. It hurts to breathe, Vaughn. It hurts so much.“ Closing her eyes, Vaughn could hear her shaky intake of breath.
“Oh Syd.“ Taking her into his arms once again, Vaughn felt her shivering against him. Her heart beat inconceivably fast and he realized that this wasn’t only because of her wounds.

“What have you given her?“ he asked the guards that had brought him in, angrily.

“No need to be worried.“
This voice. This woman. Taunting, haunting, hated.

Rounding a corner so that she could be seen, Irina approached Sydney and Vaughn but stopped a few feet in front of them. “Sydney had a nice little cocktail. But she’s been sober for an hour. Sure, she will be weak for the next time, but I think that will prevent you from doing something stupid.“ she explained briefly, a real and genuine smile gracing her face when she watched the interaction between Vaughn and her daughter. Rambaldi was so right.

“Hello, Michael. Nice to see you again.“

“You“ he replied accusingly, pointing at the woman in front of them. She was it. The woman from the photo. A bit older, the contours of her face harder than before. Standing up slowly, he wanted to approach her but Sydney tugged at his hand, wanting him to stay with her.

“Ah, I wouldn’t come nearer“ Irina smirked, lazy, sending her confused daughter a pleased look.

“Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t kill you.“ Hate ran through his veins, making him blind to the successions of his ill-considered action.

“The reason is holding your hand.“ As plain and simple her answer was, Vaughn knew that she was right. Going back to Sydney’s side, he sent Irina a heated glance. But this just increased her amusement.

“How could you have done this to Sydney?“

“Like I said to my daughter. Means to an end. She didn’t want to listen and tried to escape. She had to be punished. And as you see, she is in no condition to play the mutinous teenager again.“

“What kind of mother are you?“

„And what kind was yours?“ Irina replied quickly. This affected Vaughn more than he thought. The new revelations about his mother had destroyed the image of the loving mother and explained her depression. “I always respected Amélie. She was a dear friend“ Irina continued while pacing up and down. Thinking about the picture, Vaughn even tended toward believing Sydney’s mother that their relationship hadn’t been only show. “I would have never thought that she would support Jack in his decisions. Stupid woman, she was wax in his hands. Her love for her oh so great son and her goddaughter had blinded her. So you see, love is a weakness.“

His head snapping up, Vaughn whispered: “Jack told me the same thing.“

“Well, the past connects. Like in your case. I assume that you’ve talked with Jack? You didn’t seem to surprised to meet me – the dead ghost.“ A trace of laughter laced her voice.

Brushing his thumb over Sydney’s knuckles, he answered: “He told me everything.“

“Really? Sydney isn’t as lucky as you are.“

Looking down at Sydney, he caught her surprised and confused look. Her skin was paler than before, the new revelations too much for her to take in her weakened state. This would change everything; would mutate their relationship to something much deeper.

Her brown eyes melting into his, Sydney didn’t have to verbalize her question. He knew what she wanted to know, but it was so hard to tell her. How do you tell someone that their father – the only parent they had left – had betrayed and lied to them for years?
A little impatient, Sydney asked : “What is she talking about Vaughn?“

“Your father....“

Before he could explain anything, Irina stopped him mid-sentence.
“Sydney, darling. What Michael is trying to tell you is that your father has lied to you your whole life. Michael’s mother was your godmother. We knew each other for years before you were born. Michael was such an adorable little boy. I really loved you, Michael, even if you doubt it. Nobody could resist your charm. And it was no question that my daughter would be no exception. Sydney always had a weakness for green-eyed men, right darling?“

Green piercing eyes. Eyes that love her.
‘His eyes. They are intoxicating. It’s a feeling I can’t really explain.’

Blinking heavily, Sydney’s gaze wandered from her mother to Vaughn. “What is she talking about?“

“You and Michael were lovers, Sydney. Lovers.“ Pronouncing the last word, she could see how Sydney understood the whole situation. “And I may say that you shared more than stolen kisses.“

“This isn’t possible. I-I would remember.“

“You father, with the help of Amélie, prevented this. He gave you pills that repressed your memories. He has stolen years from you, Sydney. Years of memories. A part of your life. You could have been married to Michael by now. Cute little children, I see it all in front of my eyes.“

Glancing at Vaughn, Sydney stated more than asked: “We grew up together.“ There were no memories. She had no idea how he had looked as a child. What they had played with each other. Their childhood together was just a blank page for Sydney.
Kneeling down in front of her, Vaughn took both of her hands in his, making eye contact with her.
“I believe so. I found photos in my house Sydney. Of us, when you were only a baby. Jack ratified this story. Sydney, I don’t know what...“

“Don’t. There’s nothing to say.“ She shushed him, and Vaughn was sure that she would push him away from her. The look on her face hard and angry – so similar to her mother. But when her hands tightened their grip around his, he breathed a sigh of relief. “He lied to me. My whole life. She is right. We would have been together. None of this would have happened. He will pay for this.“ And her eyes went nearly black. He could see how the hate was darkening her soul, turning her to a person she didn’t want to be.

“Syd, you need to focus“ Vaughn tried to grab her attention.

Irina chose to break their moment right now, and Vaughn felt the intense urge to strangle this woman. Sydney was too receptive to her words for his liking.

“This must be hard. To focus. Aren’t you haunted by dreams, sudden flashes of memories, weird senses of deja-vú, headaches?“ she taunted her daughter mercilessly, before adding: “The side effects of a high dose from Hapitilin over a long time. That’s the medication Jack has given you over the years. Your pills against migraine and the “aspirin“. Your doctors have been Jack’s henchmen. Your father has much more power than you will ever know Sydney.“

“Is there a chance that we get our memories back?“

Nodding at Sydney’s question, Irina was pleased with the direction this conversation was heading. Her little girl. “Sure. There is an antidote. My scientists have developed it in years of research. Hapitilin is a substance that blocks a specific kind of carrier from arriving the part of your brain that saves your memories. This means that all of your memories are stored in your mind, you just can’t access them. My antidote kind of frees this way. I’m willing to share it with you.“ And there was a wicked tone in her voice that made Vaughn jolt up.

“What is the price?“ Never believe the devil. Your soul will be burn in the everlasting fire.

“Nothing. Believe me, it’s in my own interest that you two can remember about each other.“

Vaughn knew what Sydney’s answer would be before he could say one word. And who was he to stand up against his lover’s decision? Even if it could mean the downfall for both of them.

“And? What is your decision?“ A devilish gleam in her eyes.

“We’re doing it.“ And her voice was so firm like her mother’s eyes.

“Good. We need only a few minutes to prepare.“ Leaving them alone, Vaughn turned to Sydney, who was deeply in thought. Brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, he cupped her cheek lovingly. Even in the dim light of the warehouse and the injuries violating her body, she was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. A fallen angel. But at least she was his.

“Are you really sure?“

“Yeah.“ Nodding without hesitance, Sydney added: “This is our only chance, Vaughn, to learn everything about our past. We have shared so much and they had stolen it from us. They had stolen you away from me.“

“So this means that you’re having dreams too?“

“Yes. I wanted to talk about them with you, but it was a bit embarrassing.“

“Sexual dreams.“

Blushing profusely, she didn’t dare to look him in the eyes. “Right.“

“I know what you mean.“ And he presented her with a heart melting smile that made her knees weaker than they were in the first place. Exchanging their soft smiles, Vaughn suddenly became earnest. He had to tell her how he felt before they were in the hands of that woman.

“Before we have to undergo this procedure, I have to tell you something.“

Placing her fingers over his mouth, Sydney tried to shush him right away. “Don’t. This will sound like goodbye.“

“I have to Syd. Since the day I laid my eyes on you, I’ve loved you. I am in love with you. No matter what will happen, we are in this together. I’m your ally. Never question that.“

Tears in her eyes.
Heart on her tongue.
Soul naked in front of him.

And she kissed him. Deeply, bruisingly, feverishly, desperately. He was the only thing to keep her sane. He was her alpha and omega. And it was a shame that they would end here. Because there was no question that this wouldn’t end well. The greatest loves are the one’s that are ended early.
Her breathing was ragged - not because of the pain - but because of the heat of their kiss.

“I love you too.“ Her words on fire, she enjoyed when he ignited the flame inside of her with a new kiss.

They were writing the last chapter of their story.

tbc...

I'm glad they are getting their memories back!!!!
-But I hope nothing bad happens to them...they've been through enough!!!
I LOVE this!! Your writting is very good!!!
-Thanks for the pm!!

YAY they know the turth... well almost

i just hope that this isnt the end and if it is it ends well!!!!!

considering this story is nearly ending i htought i would just state u are such an awesome writer i hope theres more coming our way!!!

update soon

thankx for the pm

YAY! Syd and Vaughn! awww i wonder what will happen when they remeber everything? They are soo cute :smiley: great update can't wait for more. Please update soon!

first , i would like to apologize for not reviewing for a long time , i´m sorry

this fic is great !! i just hope that in the end vaughn and syd will be alright because the end of the last chapter wasn´t making a good preview for their lifes together ,

i can´t wait for more ,

Nanda

Sorry I haven't replied in a month or so. Great chapters! I'm glad that they're getting their memories back, but there must be a catch to it. Hmmmm.... Thanks for the PM's. Here's my German for you're b-day!: 🎂 :balloons: Ich hoffe dass, du eine gute Geburtstag hatte. :balloons: 🎂

-erin :smiley:

i am soooooooo sorry it has taken me so long to reply i have been soooo busy please forgive me for being such a felgercarb fan :blush:
i love all the updates they are excellent and i can't wait for more
please update soon
i will try and get on the net more oftern
thanks for all the pms
i really can't wait to see what happends love that vaughn knocked jack out

luv Chicketepee ^_^

Hello!

This is the final post of Maroon. I'm going with a laughing and a crying eye (we say that in German, don't know if you say that too). First of all, I have loved this story so much. It was my first and there were so many great reviews for it, that I feel really honoured. Thank you very much. It's a bit sad that the story wasn't such a runner at AllAlias as it was at SD1 - but nooone will die because of it ;) The people who have read this story - and I mean exactly you - have always written sweet feedback. And I really appreciate it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Love, Danuta

PS: I won't post my new stories at AllAlias, because both of my finished fics haven't got many replies. If you want to read new stories from me, go over to SD1. Thanks for your understanding.

And now...let the show end....

Chapter 39 – The long awaited answer

“It could be a bit painful. But I doubt that. The doctor told me that you will feel a bit dizzy afterwards, but it wouldn’t be too dangerous.“

“Good to know.“

“Don’t be so pert, Michael. I don’t like your attitude towards me.“

“Let’s begin“ Sydney interrupted her mother and Vaughn. Looking at the bottles in Aleksei’s hands, she gulped hard, trying not to show her angst. But there could be anything in these bottles. They could drug, brainwash, and even kill them. Suppressing these scenarios, Sydney concentrated on the task that laid in front of her.

“Okay. Let’s begin.“

The dark blue liquid tasted bittersweet. Gulping it down, Sydney and Vaughn felt the effect set in. Their eyes got heavier. Their minds began to work even faster. Everything was dizzy and steady and dark and light and loud and silent. Their heads rolling back, their eyes closing, Sydney and Vaughn had an experience that was unique.

It began with darkness. Then a flash of light. One after another. Each quicker than the one before. They felt as if they were reliving each moment in their forgotten life...

---
“Look there she is Michael. Her name is Sydney.” The baby yawned in her tight slumber.

His little hands on the glass separating his mother and him from the newborns, Vaughn asked: “Like the city?”

“Yeah, like the city. Isn’t she sweet?” Pointing at the baby girl who had opened her eyes now and studied them, Amélie sighed happily.

Cocking his eyebrow, Vaughn replied with a thoughtful: “A bit small for my liking.”

---

Christening. Families. Uncle Jack. Holding her.

“So t-they say t-t-that you’re cu-cute. I-I don’t kn-know. I-I can’t really see you bet-between all t-the white lace.” As if Sydney sensed that he was talking to her, she opened her eyes and seemed to study the new face above her.

---

Laura watched the boy intently, hoping that he would understand her words someday: “I want you to promise me that when something should happen to me, you will be there to catch my little girl every time she falls. Promise me that Michael. Deep in my heart I know that you’re the one who is meant for her. I know that you can’t understand my words fully now, but it’s just an instinct I’ve about you. Tell me that you will be there for her.”

And he swore to protect the little girl forever.

---

Death. Orphan. Rose. Too adult.

“Let it go, Syd.”

Brown met green, and Sydney knew what he meant. Letting go was hard. And she didn’t want to. But as she felt his gaze, she felt his deep understanding too. Fate was cruel to them.

---

Allies. Connected. Promises. Childish hopes.

“I like that.”

“What?”

“To hear your heartbeat.”

----

“Sleep Syd, sleep. I’ll be here for you as long as my heart beats. I promise.”
And he knew that he would break this promise.

---

Misunderstanding. Hate. No forgivness. Estrangement.

”You broke your promise. And I’ll never forgive you.” Sydney spat out. Hate was evident in the teenager’s voice.

“Syd.”

“Don’t call me that.”

---

“You left me like everyone else. You have no idea how my father is. He is cruel to me.”

“Please let me explain...”

“NO! Don’t you understand? I can’t trust you anymore. I don’t want to see you anymore. I hate you.”

---

Rebel. She is a woman now. Revenge.

“She is 17 Michael, almost 18. And she has a few problems with boys and alcohol. Jack told me that she has certain reputation.”

---

“I’m not her babysitter.”

---

“Michél, what do you think about Sydney? I mean her behavior is really unusual. She was always this happy, smiling, bouncing girl and now she’s.....”

“...a mean vixen?”

---

Half naked Sydney Bristow. Black bra and pantyhose. Hair a wild mess.

“Like what you see, Michael Vaughn, or are you always drooling?”

Make up heavy on her young and beautiful face. Eyes cold and angry.

“What? Do you think just because of a bit of paint and a push-up every boy would long for you?”, he snapped.

---

Realization. Desire. Letters. Dear Sydney.

“Sometimes it’s easier to hate someone than to give him a chance, right?“ Amélie appeared again, standing in the doorway with a big package of letters in her hand.

---

“You know, Michael was always addicted to chocolate. It’s a wonder that he is such an athletic man and not as fat as a mountain now. When you were little he fell in love with you instantly. And do you know why?”

Shaking her head in a negative manner, Sydney sipped a bit from the hot liquid and enjoyed the sweet taste it left in her mouth.

“Because, and this is a quotation: ‘She has skin like white chocolat parfait, hair like dark coffee chocolate with caramel crispies, and eyes like mousse au chocolat.’ If that isn’t a homage out of my sons mouth.” Chuckling slightly, Amélie noticed the broad smile on Sydney’s face.

---

Anne. Jacques. I want him to be mine. Prey or love?

“Is it important to you that I like her?” Oh, she had him.

---

“Why am I Vaughn now?”

Grabbing his outstretched hand, she let herself be pulled up by him .“Because,...I don’t know. It sounds cool I think.” She shrugged and sat down on the edge of the big tub because the room began to spin again.

---

“I don’t know what I could tell you that you’d believe”, she finally told him. And the simplicity of his answer surprised her.

“The truth.”

“The truth is against us, Vaughn.”

---

Turning to the window so that he won’t see her face and read her, she added, whispering with a strong voice: “The worst was that I pictured you doing those things to me. For me, it was you touching me, holding me, kissing me. The worst part was that I enjoyed his whole act.”

---

“I just wanted to tell you, that.....that I’m happy we are able to act normal around each other.

“Don’t get me wrong, Michael, but....”

“But what?” Fear creeping in his voice.

“I phoned my father yesterday. I will fly back on Sunday evening.”

---

Mother. Prophecy. Rambaldi. Meant to be.

“Rat teebya veedet.(Nice to see you again.)“

“Mum?”

---

“This Man and this Woman here depicted shall be the Chosen Ones. Their destinies as Lovers haveth been sealed before their birth. Let their paths cross and their bodies becometh one, for then, their Souls shall be mates for eternity. As the Chosen Ones are one, their choices will be the rise of the forces of Hope. Thanks to them, the world will be a place of light, freedom and peace.”

---

First time. Love. Revelation. Dark hope.

Leaning in, his lips only a few millimeters from her ear, he whispered softly.
“But I need you to know one thing. Sydney Bristow, I think I’m falling in love with you.”

“I’m falling in love with you too.” Seeing him smiling at her, she added, blushing: “Hard.”

---

“Vous êtes la femme la plus belle sur terre.(You’re the most beautiful woman on earth)” With these simple words, their mouths crashed onto each other again and Sydney was afraid to close her eyes.

---

After their dance quickened, their bodies melted, their thoughts drifted away, her world suddenly
exploded.

---

“I missed this.”

“Me threatening you?”

“No, your smile” he said while tracing her dimples with his fingertips. “You’re so beautiful.”

---

“Just feel.” Hand on breast. Thud. Thud. Thud. Steady beating of her heart. Of their hearts. They beat in union.

“You think that this is no coincidence? That Rambaldi was right?”

---

“You are my destiny. I don’t need a prophecy to tell me this.”

---

Jack. They have done it. Prevent this. Suppressed memories.

“You know that you did something wrong. She is only a child and you are a grown man. You raped her. You have hurt her.”

---

“Why is it important to let a doctor check us?” Sydney asked with a sigh, looking up to see the stern expression on her father’s face.

“Sydney, you’ll do it because I’m telling you to. You don’t need an explanation.”

---

“I could never forget you, Sydney Bristow. I love you.”

---

“Why is everything so..... I feel so tired. Is that the pill? I thought he said it was just a mild sedative” she said, holding her head in her hands. There was the pounding headache again. So steady it mixed itself with her heartbeat. This was so lulling.

---

Sydney Bristow is just a white spot for you. Nothing more. She is nothing. Nothing. Repeat it Michael: Sydney Bristow is nothing.”

---

“Now close the box. Close it and shove it out of your sight. Have you done it?”

“Yes.”

“Sydney, do you know a Michael Vaughn?”

“No.” A tear escaped her eyes.

---

With that Sydney woke up. Gasping for air like she had been under water for hours. Pictures, flashes, people, smells, thoughts, hopes, dreams....everything was a mess. Trying to arrange all of her feelings and memories, she tried to breathe in deeply and out.
She had had a life. Everything had its own place. Now there were more little pieces that didn’t match with her old memories. Amélie. Jacques. Anne. How had she been able to forget all of this? Glancing around, Sydney caught Vaughn watching her intently.
They had known each other for so long. Since she was born, Vaughn had been there to protect her. He was meant for her. They had wanted to start a future together.

“In a few months, I will have finished my studies. I thought of moving to LA and working there. I have a friend, Eric Weiss, he lives in LA; I think I could live with him for a while. Then we wouldn’t have to be apart from each other. And probably after you’re 18, I could be your personal nanny”, he ended with a small smirk.

All of this had been her father’s fault. How could she have been so stupid? She should have realized how bad of a person he was. Jack had stolen everything she had in life. And how could Amélie have helped him with this?
Only now, Sydney realized that her godmother was dead. She never had the chance to say goodbye, she was never at her grave; she would never be able to talk to her again. A tear wandering down her cheek, Sydney looked up, surprised when someone brushed the drop away gently. Green piercing eyes melting into hers, Sydney thought about their screwed-up relationship. They were friends, allies, enemies, lovers, strangers, co-workers, allies and lovers again. Fate wanted them to be together. And how often do you have the chance to fall in love with a man twice? He was her destiny; there was no need to question this. Standing up, Sydney fell into his arms and hugged him. His heart beat against her breast. And only now she noticed that their hearts beat in the same rhythm. Some things never change.

Backing away slowly, Vaughn traced her face with his fingers, not believing that they had found each other again. This perverted game was ending. They had each other again, and the demons that had haunted him for forever would hopefully remain silent. Thinking about all the nights he had dreamed about the brown eyed woman, seducing, loving and killing him at the same time, he slapped himself mentally. The solution to his awful headaches, his overactive mind, his sleepless nights and his desperate heart had been lying only a few feet away from him.
They had changed. Their love for each other had changed. It was kind of morbid to know that they had fallen in love twice. But the woman he fell in love with first wasn’t the same Sydney Bristow he loved now. Her personality had changed too, and it was somehow calming to know that no change could make him love her less.

“I can’t believe it.“ He voiced their inner thoughts, his hand touching her face lovingly. Over all these years he had been in love with Sydney. No other woman had a chance because he knew that his heart belonged someone else. And even though they were all against them – Jack, his mother, Devlin, Barnett and so many others – he had still found her.

It was more than Sydney could handle. Every little memory felt so fresh, so real, so intoxicating. She could see his face in front of her eyes. But in the same moment she saw the boyish grin in the eight-year-old face of Michael Vaughn when they had played hide and seek. They would need time. So much time to disentangle, arrange, adjust and sort.

“I love y...“ Before Vaughn could end his confession, a shot sliced through the air. His eyes shocked. Breathing ragged. Face pale. His grip on her hands tighter than before, Vaughn fell down on the floor. The bullet had hit the spot beneath his right shoulder blade.

And the darkness engulfed her again.

Chapter 40 – Fallen

The shadows were surrounding her again. Hugging her close, stealing the light she needed to live. The demons of her past were waiting in these dark shadows, laughing her, beastily, in the face as she sat there. Motionless. A few sobs slicing through the air. A silent scream escaping her lips. Her lover laid in the dirt, his face contorted in pain. The blood flew fast. Too fast. Too red. Too much. He was loosing too much blood. Jumping into action, Sydney knelt down next to Vaughn. Her hand pressed on the wound, she felt his blood slipping through her fingers. Soon she was dampened by his blood. Her tears falling freely now, mixing themselves with the maroon liquid. Anam Cara. They were soulmates. And she felt how hers was dying with him. Biting her lip so he wouldn’t hear her sobs, Sydney cradled his face, pleading him to stay with her. But he simply shushed her.

“Why have you done this?” Sydney screamed at her mother, but her unwavering gaze never left Vaughn’s. She didn’t sound like herself. Desperate. Broken. Hysterical. Not the woman she had wanted to be, but the woman she had become.

“Sydney” Irina rebuked her daughter mercilessly. Love makes you strong. But love can make you so much weaker, too. Her daughter was living proof. Only months ago, the old Sydney Bristow would have stood up and killed her mother with her bare hands.
And now? Here she sat, with her dying lover in her arms. Too weak to let him go. Too weak to think of herself. Too weak to fight. Irina couldn’t help but grin. She had won. There was no chance that Sydney would say no.

Giving Mischa a sign, the guards grabbed Sydney, chained her up, and handcuffed her. She was left to watch, horrified, how the guards went to Vaughn and brought him over to a chair. Eyeing his wound closely, Mischa began to bandage it carefully, before he injected Vaughn with some kind of medicament.

“What are you giving him?” Sydney asked, her voice laced with worry.

“Morphine.”

Nodding slowly, Sydney didn’t have the vigor to fight. There was nothing left inside of her. Too often betrayed. Too often broken. Too often beaten. Moistening her dry lips, she found the strength to ask: “Why have you done this?” Whoever had said that the power of love is greater than anything was wrong. If she had been alone, she could have survived this. But seeing Vaughn’s face contorted in pain left her breathless.

“You love him Sydney. I know this. I have done everything to bring you two together again. Sloane helped me and even that little lurk, Noah, gave you the information that brought you to me. Michael and you were close to each other, but now, after you have all of your memories back, you are whole again.“

And the worst was that her mother said the truth. Whole again. But much more vulnerable. Connected in the purest way ever known, but more alone that she had ever been.

“And what? You are killing him because of sick revenge?” Sydney asked while looking up to her mother. And there she stood, in all her glory: she couldn’t be sure, but wasn’t there a trace of regret in her cold eyes?

“No, he won’t die. At least, I don’t want that to happen...” Stopping dramatically, Irina approached Vaughn slowly – like an animal stalking its prey. “...but you have to pay a price for his life.” Her hand brushing through his hair, this motherly gesture disturbed Sydney more than any threat could have done.

“What?”

“I’m sure you remember Rambaldi‘s prophecy.”

“Like I’d heard it yesterday.”
...destinies as Lovers....bodies becometh one...world will be a place of light, freedom and peace...

Why in God’s name hadn’t her father wanted this to happen? Not that Sydney believed this felgercarb, but in some weird way she began to understand the fascination her mother felt.

“It had been a lie” Vaughn’s hoarse voice interrupted their conversation. Their surprised gazes locked on to the wounded man; both women were surprised that he was awake.

Struggling to stay awake, Vaughn fought against the high dose of Morphine. Adrenaline coursed through his body, making him forget all the pain and his wounds. “Jack had shown me the prophecy.” Suppressing the need to whimper, Vaughn bit his tongue until he tasted his own blood. “I don’t understand how you can believe in this felgercarb.”

“So you aren’t?”

A simple nod was her only answer. And even when Michael played the tough man, Irina knew that he wouldn’t be strong enough to survive. If...and this was the word she tried to make Sydney to understand...if she wouldn’t help Michael.

Watching the heated exchange between her mother and Vaughn, Sydney felt more confused than ever. Her anger building up, she screamed, peeved: “Would someone please tell me what is standing in this damn prophecy?”

Taking a piece of paper out of her pocket, Irina unfolded it carefully and read aloud: “This Man and this Woman here depicted shall be the Chosen Ones. Their destinies as Warriors, haveth being sealed before their Birth, are established by their respectful Fathers’ deception. Bind them with fury. As Outsiders, they will bring forth freedom to the Earth. Alas, never let their paths cross and their bodies becometh one, for then, their Souls shall be mates for eternity. As the Chosen Ones are one, their choices will be the downfall of the forces of Hope. Black will turn their Souls, whom clingeth together in desperate love.”

A horrified intake of breath.
Her glance lost when she found Vaughn’s.
This couldn’t be. Her life was a living nightmare and there was no chance she would ever wake up.

“I can’t believe it.”

It’s all about them. It has always been about them.

“This is a lie” Vaughn hissed when he saw Sydney’s disturbed reaction. “What do you want from us?”

“To fulfill the prophecy. Work for me.” Irina said it like they were talking about the weather. Her sense of honor and love long forgotten.

She had been so stupid. To believe that her mother helped them without any hidden agenda. She never loved Sydney, never cared for her or wanted the best for her. Vaughn and she were just two lone figures in her little game. And Sydney wasn’t even sure if her father had fought for her or just against her mother. Too many people had suffered because of Irina’s plan. She was no good. But at the same time, Sydney knew that she was a part of her. There would never be a chance to detach herself from this cruel relationship. Like a puppet on strings. It was time to cut the last string.

“Never. I will never work for a woman who is killing innocent people.”

“Collateral damage” she replied calmly.

“How can you say this?”

“You will understand me when you are working for me.”

The fact that her mother told the truth troubled Sydney more than she showed. “Why would we do this?” She didn’t dare to look into Vaughn’s eyes when she asked this question. It was a sign of weakness, and the unbelieving intake of breath she could hear ratified this.

Observing her daughter while she struggled with herself, Irina smiled inwardly.

“You have two options darling. You can say yes, work for me and live your happily every after with Vaughn.”

A golden ring on her finger. The 2.5 children. White fence. It was all a cruel lie.

“I am the only one who wants you to be together. When you say no, then he will die. And you will watch. This one shot was only a warning. Decline my offer and you will wish that you had never been born. I know you well enough Sydney to know that you won’t survive Vaughn’s death. And I can ensure you that it will be slow and painful. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices. And when Vaughn won’t work for me and fulfill the prophecy, then there will be no need to let him live. But I will let you live.”

This wasn’t a sign of mercy. And her mother knew this well enough. To watch Vaughn being killed would be a greater punishment then dying herself. One more demon that would haunt me.

“Syd, don’t” Vaughn pleaded with her, trying to show her into which abyss they would fall if she said yes.

A wink from Irina later and Mischa roughly tied a gag around Vaughn’s mouth. He continued to mumble, but gave up when it cost him more power than he had.

“He will die” Irina stated, pointing at the bloody bandage around Vaughn’s naked torso and ignored his hatred filled glance. As if to smite Sydney, Mischa grabbed the knife in his shoulder holster and gave the gasping woman a satisfied grin.

“No, no, no” was the only thing she could whimper before the blade sliced Vaughn’s skin. Fighting against the restraints, Vaughn didn’t notice when his wrists started to bleed. Pain was his blood brother now.

“Enough” Irina stopped her friend and partner.

Turning away, Mischa allowed Sydney to get a look at her lover’s fresh wound. Gasping, horrified, she could clearly read what he had ‘written’. An “S” was sliced into Vaughn’s arm.

S for Sydney. She would kill him. She could kill him with the wrong answer.

“Don’t do this.” She wasn’t too proud to beg for Vaughn. Pride is only for people who have a chance.

They were trapped in time.
Time was their enemy.
Once again.
And she couldn’t find a way out.

“It is your decision Sydney.” The knife in Mischa’s hands reflected the pale light, blinding her for a short second.

Tick. Agonizing. Tock. Violating. Tick. Hopeless. Tock.

Closing her eyes, Sydney saw all the pictures flashing behind her closed eyelids.

* The lopsided grin that made her heart melt.*
Him, dead on the floor with a blank expression on his face.

* The piercing green eyes watching every step she took.*
A hollow gaze haunting her forever.

* The arms holding her lovingly.*
The “S” sliced into his arm.

* The hearts beating in union.*
His heart stopping in her arms.

What would she be without him?

“Yes or no Sydney?”

Nothing.

And when brown met green, it was innocent and guilty. It was pure. It was unique. It was them.

They were a beautiful disaster. What more was there to say? There was no other decision. There was no way out. No way to live their happily ever after. But, at least, she wanted them to live.

One word. One breath. One pain. One mistake.

“Yes.”

Black will turn their souls.

~ Fin

This was it. I hope you enjoyed the final chapter of Maroon. And I hope that some of you are understanding Jack a bit better. He isn’t that bad.

Au revoir and all my love,
Danuta

How great was that ending?! Seriously, Danuta, that was amazing. I think there absolutely has to be a sequel. I can't see Sydney and Vaughn working for the bad guys for very long. Please let me know when you start the sequel. I'm on SD-1 too! Once again, awesome job!!!

I am one of the ones who have defected and read this story over at sd-1
I thought I would post here to because its the end.

I can't blame Syd for the decision she made to save Vaughn's life...
I really hope you do a sequel, because I want a Syd/Jack confrontation
and I want them to be able to beat all that is being thrown at them.
Thanks for sharing.

wait...what? thats the ending? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MINE. You coulda gave me a warning when i first started read so i would'nt... arg. i don't like you anymore...poo you.
-D
p.s. add me to the pms of your next story, great job on this one

that was awesome...sorry for the late reply

but omg was that awesome!!!!!!!!

i can't wait for more of ur work

what an awesome way to end it!!!!!!!!

wow i dont know what else to say?!

Back