Marvel Universe Online

Microsoft Game Studios, Marvel Entertainment and Cryptic Studios Unveil "Marvel Universe Online"

Video game luminaries join forces to bring Marvel's iconic universe of Super Heroes exclusively to Windows Vista and Xbox 360 platforms

Today at X06, Xbox's annual official industry event in Barcelona, Spain, Microsoft Game Studios announced further details around its eagerly awaited project based on the Marvel universe of Super Heroes. Microsoft and Marvel Entertainment confirmed that Cryptic Studios has been named the developer of "Marvel Universe Online," the highly anticipated massively multiplayer online (MMO) video game exclusive to Xbox 360 and Windows Vista.

"The vision behind the alliance of Microsoft Game Studios, Cryptic Studios and Marvel is to expand the MMO genre and create an epic gaming experience exclusively for Xbox 360 and Windows Vista gamers to experience together online," said Frank Pape, senior director of business development, Microsoft Game Studios. "Cryptic Studios is widely respected for their established track record of innovation and understanding of the MMO space, and they are a perfect fit for the creation of the best possible experience in 'Marvel Universe Online.'"

"As an independent developer, Cryptic Studios has the freedom to make games and forge partnerships that we are truly passionate about," said Michael Lewis, president of Cryptic Studios. "Cryptic Studios and Microsoft share a common vision for online gaming and commitment to quality titles. Together we will create a new exciting game that captures the uniqueness of the Marvel IP."

David Maisel, executive vice president, Marvel Entertainment added, "The huge Marvel fan base has been eagerly awaiting new information on our massive multiplayer online game. We are proud to have a premiere developer such as Cryptic Studios who has had such incredible success in the online gaming world developing this game. Marvel, Microsoft and Cryptic are committed to creating the definitive interactive Marvel universe experience via this massive multiplayer online game."

Cryptic Studios is known as the developer of the renowned MMO titles "City of Heroes®" and "City of Villians™," and bring a history of excellence in MMO design and best-of-breed community support to the development of "Marvel Universe Online." "Marvel Universe Online" will unite gamers in a cross-platform experience, allowing for Xbox 360 and Windows Vista users to play alongside one another.

Marvel's repertoire of Super Heroes have evolved from the pages of comic books to become driving forces in entertainment, from the silver screen to television shows and best-selling video games, including "Spider-Man," "X-Men" and "The Hulk" franchises. As part of an MMO gaming experience, "Marvel Universe Online" players will be able to interact simultaneously in a truly unique atmosphere featuring all their favorite Marvel characters, creatures and villains.

I never played CoH because I knew I would always be wishing it was taking place in the Marvel Universe. This is one I will definitely keep my eyes on and will probably play! XBox 360 and Windows.. Hmm.. I hope they don't 'dumb' it down for the console crowd. ;)

425px-Marvel-character-composit.jpg

Ciy of heroes will remain the greatest SuperHero mmorpg. Your welcome to say otherwise if you don't value your 'importants.'

But yea, I'm not big on marvel. I barely like Capcom, and thats only because of the MegaMan series. I most likely won't be playing this one.

WatchMaker said:
Ciy of heroes will remain the greatest SuperHero mmorpg. Your welcome to say otherwise if you don't value your 'importants.'

But yea, I'm not big on marvel. I barely like Capcom, and thats only because of the MegaMan series. I most likely won't be playing this one.

Hopefully MUO can come up with a better power system than CoX, because the latter really sucks.

I never played CoH because I knew I would always be wishing it was taking place in the Marvel Universe. This is one I will definitely keep my eyes on and will probably play! XBox 360 and Windows.. Hmm.. I hope they don't 'dumb' it down for the console crowd. ;)
Of the two persistant world MMOs for consoles, the first one EQOA was an experiment to see if it could even work. It did, but because they 'dumbed' it down it hasn't kept a large audience. I think they realised after release thta they could have upped the complexity and done a bit better as most of the large releases after initial launch have been to increase gameplay options (on top of the standard tweaks and content releases) The other game FFXI has proved that a non-dumbed bown MMO can work well on a console, albeit with a traditional desktop player base to fall back on. I imagine this game will work just like that one. No need to dumb down for a console. Especially one like the XBox360.

So... Would you make a character, or choose one? I mean, I haven't really looked into it, so if some links could be privided, I'd be greatful. Thanks.

Kuzzle said:
So... Would you make a character, or choose one? I mean, I haven't really looked into it, so if some links could be privided, I'd be greatful. Thanks.

They haven't released those details.. but both have been mentioned as possibilities.

Evran said:
Of the two persistant world MMOs for consoles, the first one EQOA was an experiment to see if it could even work. It did, but because they 'dumbed' it down it hasn't kept a large audience. I think they realised after release thta they could have upped the complexity and done a bit better as most of the large releases after initial launch have been to increase gameplay options (on top of the standard tweaks and content releases) The other game FFXI has proved that a non-dumbed bown MMO can work well on a console, albeit with a traditional desktop player base to fall back on. I imagine this game will work just like that one. No need to dumb down for a console. Especially one like the XBox360.

FFXI was.. okay. That is one thing I didn't like, though. The controls and menus felt like I was playing a console game. I hated that, actually... and those cutsie little pokemon looking races... and chocobos.. and the fact that everyone looked the same... and.. stuff. Good AH, though... and I liked the box... heh.

Talked with a Microsoft rep about the 'VISTA' games working on XP. They will but they won't have the Vista 3D interface options. In other words.. You'll get a game icon on your desktop and you'll double click it and play. LoL ;) They're just saying Vista ready because the OS will sport a few novel options for companies to take advantage of. But I believe the goal is to have everything work on the 2000/XP base for at least 4 more years.

Anywho. One console MMO got left out sadly. Phantasy Star Online which is about to get a second release. \m/
I have one problem with Marvel having a MMO. Which is true about all other liscened MMO. Persistant evolving worlds don't really agree with established lore it seems. Maybe they can fix that or do something different like set it in it's own lil' realm like AoA or Ultimate. A prediction of mine tho is it'll be more MMO than RPG. Like a large scale action game, and that's always cool.

I can't imagine how they would set up a 'pick your hero' model. There's only so many Marvel superheroes to go around... Talk about setting up your game to be a clone-fest.

I vote make your own.

navarre said:
FFXI was.. okay. That is one thing I didn't like, though. The controls and menus felt like I was playing a console game. I hated that, actually... and those cutsie little pokemon looking races... and chocobos.. and the fact that everyone looked the same... and.. stuff. Good AH, though... and I liked the box... heh.
Heh, yeah. I never said FFXI was a great game. Just that it worked in a console format and the mechanics weren't dumbed down compared to other MMOs. Believe me, EQOA definitley takes home the award for simplicity in a MMO. Even with all the gameplay upgrades over the years.

Yeah, I'd rather make my own hero, as well...

One thing, though: Whenever someone mentions Marvel's heroes, it seems like they single out Jubilee as having "crappy powers"... She was always my favorite female member of the X-Men, and I don't think her powers are useless. I have X-Men Legends, and while I don't really play it anymore, I always had her on my team. She kicks ass, and I'm a little tired of people saying otherwise... In fact, I might go so far as to say she's my favorite among the X-Men, if only because people always rag on her, but she's still around. Anyone else have a favorite among Marvel's legions?

I really only like Marvel comic heroes, DC's guys are way too.. I dunno, they have it too easy in comparison.
I have to go with Spider-Man tho'. I'm one of those long term fans who picked up on the fact he had it rough. I really enjoy the Marvel villains as well. Doc' frickin' Oct.

I agree. Never was much of a DC fan. All of their struggles are with villains, none are with themselves... know what I mean? Ehh..

Well then who's "Gamble"? I don't remember ever seeing his card... By that, I mean those cards that marvel had out for years with all of their people, heroes and villains, with a short backstory, and a powers rating. My uncle had all but three of them at the end...

Wait, was Gamble the guy with grey skin, blonde hair, and those twin bandolier thingies? Or the guy who... I don't know. Guess he's one of the lesser known guys, huh? I was never that into comics... Nerd! Nah, seriously, though, there just wasn't much story in 'em, it seemed, so you'd have to get like 10 to finish out a story arc. Seemed like a waste of money, to me.

I'm not familiar with Gamble either. I help keep up a lil' Marvel character database. If you could tell which series they're in and about what time frame I'm interested in updating a bio on Gamble.
MarvelDirectory.com <- Where nerds unite.
So yeah, I'm a big Marvel fan but I somehow think the City of * games will still lead the market.

Back