Sci-Fi Marvel's Agent Carter (Captain America Spinoff)

Alien Soup

Head Chef
Title: Marvel's Agent Carter

Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2015-01-06

Creator: Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely

Cast: Hayley Atwell, James D'Arcy, Enver Gjokaj, Wynn Everett

Overview: It's 1946, and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life - Steve Rogers.
Marvel's Agent Carter (Captain America Spinoff)

ABC has ordered Marvel's Agent Carter. Agent Carter follows the story of Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell). It’s 1946, and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark, all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life – Steve Rogers.

Agent Carter will air on ABC in 2014.

I am REALLY looking forward to this. I haven't seen the One Shot yet, but I love the idea.
Hopefully it addresses Peggy Carter leading shield into the cold war and becomes a retro Spy show.
I love this concept more than Agents of Shield.

I am REALLY looking forward to this. I haven't seen the One Shot yet, but I love the idea.
Hopefully it addresses Peggy Carter leading shield into the cold war and becomes a retro Spy show.
I love this concept more than Agents of Shield.
If they have other WWII era characters, like the Howling Commandos and Liberty Legion members, I'll definitely be watching as I love that era of comics.

Looking forward to seeing this. I think the setting really helps set it apart from the rest of the Marvel stuff :smiley:

I had a chance to watch the two hour premiere. Some 'quick thoughts' without giving away any spoilers...
  • The two hour premiere was actually two back-to-back one-hour episodes. The announcer mentioned a few times that 'Agent Carter' is a limited "seven part" series so I don't know if the premiere counts as one or two of the seven.
  • As to be expected there were some high-tech toys but nothing too over the top for the time-line. I'm actually happy about that since it is a period piece and trying to cram a lot of tech toys in there would in my opinion ruin it.
  • The designers are doing a great job so far with the sets and costumes.
  • Early prediction: Agent Thompson will be part of a bigger role as the episodes progress.
  • Jarvis is making for an interesting character. He is the butler of Howard Stark (father of Tony "Iron Man" Stark) and the personality of the computer systems in the Iron Man movies. He is not a secret agent nor a genius millionaire, he's just a guy doing his job and in that role he acts as the grounded to reality anchor for Carter & Stark.
  • In the preview for next weeks airing there is a character in a bowler hat -- Is a certain member of the Howling Commandos making an appearance?
I liked it but, then again, I'm a sucker for period pieces combined with spy drama with some superheroes mingled about. ;)

I enjoyed the premiere (just watched it last night on the DVR)...although I have to suspend my disbelief that Stark could design WMDs with such ease, and couldn't figure out a way to actually defend his property against theft. :smiley:

As far as "seven part" series, I think that Agents of Shield comes back on the first Tuesday of March, so however many weeks that ends up being for Agent Carter.

I'm just glad that our local ABC affiliate worked out their differences with our cable provider, because that would have been a huge pain to go online to find it (on a semi-related note, also glad they worked it out before I missed the Last Man Standing with Patricia Heaton guest-starring, since they weren't up and running for last week's episode...).

...although I have to suspend my disbelief that Stark could design WMDs with such ease, and couldn't figure out a way to actually defend his property against theft. :smiley:
In the second (or 3rd based on how the credits were done) they show the room that the weapons were stolen from. It makes for an interesting scene to move forward with the episodes plot but if you think about it too much about where exactly the room is and how it was broken into you'll end up going "Huh?!".

I'm starting to wonder if Jarvis's wife will actually be shown onscreen or if we'll only ever hear her voice like Howard's mother on Big Bang Theory. :D

Come people, you guys/gals have to start watching! Ratings are down another episode in a row.

I doubt we'll be seeing a second season. :(

Come people, you guys/gals have to start watching! Ratings are down another episode in a row.

I doubt we'll be seeing a second season. :(
I wonder if they count DVR tapings, because that's the only way I ever watch television anymore...
That said, I think people were hoping to have more tie-in to the Avengers. People are weird that way...

And with the revelation of Rogers' blood and the mystery neighbor in the apartment complex, I think it's only going to get more exciting from here...

I wonder if they count DVR tapings, because that's the only way I ever watch television anymore...
That said, I think people were hoping to have more tie-in to the Avengers. People are weird that way...
There are two sets of ratings. The traditional ratings are still in place that record 'live viewing' of shows but now more emphasis is being place on '+3' viewings where DVR viewing within three days of the broadcast of the show are counted also. In some news articles you might see references where a show initially has low ratings right after airing but actually did much better when considering the +3 ratings. The +3 ratings can be a big boost for shows.

There are two sets of ratings. The traditional ratings are still in place that record 'live viewing' of shows but now more emphasis is being place on '+3' viewings where DVR viewing within three days of the broadcast of the show are counted also. In some news articles you might see references where a show initially has low ratings right after airing but actually did much better when considering the +3 ratings. The +3 ratings can be a big boost for shows.
Heh, I guess I'd better start making sure to watch these things within 3 days, then... :smiley:

I caught the season (possibly series) finale last night and... I was a little underwhelmed. With the hype about "Leviathan is coming" I was expecting the big reveal to be a bit more than what was shown. Yeah, they wrapped up the story line of Stark being accused of treason but what I was really looking for wasn't even touched upon.

The formation of SHIELD?! Besides being in the Captain America movies, the big deal about Peggy Carter was that she, along with Stark, were one of the founders of the SHIELD organization. At the end of the series Carter's future with the SSR is shown as being up in the air as to what she'll do it but fans of the Marvel Universe already know what is in store for her. Carter was even explicitly mentioned by name in Agents of SHIELD as being a role model for agents yet we got to see none of the early SHIELD days.

Maybe that was what a possible second mini-series or season might have dealt with? Considering how important SHIELD is in the Marvel Universe movies and shows the early days of the organization would've been cool to watch. Instead Agent Carter ended up being a little stand-alone story that fills in just a little gap of Carter's life between WWII and SHIELD.

On a different note, pay attention to the scene after the credits! Think back to the events of Captain America: Winter Soldier and what took place in that movie and the final scene of Agent Carter connects a few dots.

On a different note, pay attention to the scene after the credits! Think back to the events of Captain America: Winter Soldier and what took place in that movie and the final scene of Agent Carter connects a few dots.
All of my Marvel movies and TV series are melding together...I know who the guy was, but I was trying to remember his role in CA:WS. Guess I'll have to go watch it again.

I don't honestly see Carter coming back for another season, but anything is possible.

All of my Marvel movies and TV series are melding together...I know who the guy was, but I was trying to remember his role in CA:WS. Guess I'll have to go watch it again.
I'll cover some of the highlights in a spoiler in case anybody hasn't watched the Captain America movies yet...
In the first Captain America movie a German Hydra scientist is captured by CA on the train raid where Bucky dies. He is then shown later as a prisoner of the US Army (think of the interview scene with Tommy Lee Jones offering a steak dinner to the prisoner).

Fast forward 50 years or so to CA: Winter Soldier and it is revealed that SHIELD is in chaos because it has actually been infiltrated by Hydra since the very beginning. Bucky is alive and has been subject to powerful mind games. CA & Black Widow end up in an underground computer bunker with an AI computer system that dates back to the 70's & 80's. The AI is the conscience of a German scientist that had been captured by the Allies in WWII and later worked with them as part of SHIELD. He explains to CA how Hydra has always been part of SHIELD waiting for the right time to reveal themselves.

Now head back to the end of Agent Carter. The final scene of the series, which takes place after WWII and the events of the first CA movie, features a captured Russian agent and a German scientist. The Russian is capable of pretty powerful mind games and he has a grudge against Howard Stark & Peggy Carter whom would later be part of the creation of SHIELD. The German scientist, by coincidence, is a Hydra scientist who was captured during WWII and was strong armed by Tommy Lee Jones over a steak dinner into cooperating with them. If a scheming Hydra scientist and mental manipulator were around during the creation of SHIELD pretending to be co-operating but were really working on their own secret agendas..... ;)

I don't honestly see Carter coming back for another season, but anything is possible.
Based on the ratings, I don't think we'll see another full season either. :( Agent Carter started off has one of Marvel's little shorts so I suspect we might see more of the character again in shorts but not a full series.

Just watched the last two episodes, they kept the best til last - I really enjoyed this. It was the perfect mini series for me.

Shame the ratings haven't gone too well in America. I really do hope it gets another series maybe not next year but in a couple of years time before the Infinity Wars movies.

I'll cover some of the highlights in a spoiler in case anybody hasn't watched the Captain America movies yet...
Thanks! That straightened it all back up for me...I remembered all of those scenes, but couldn't remember which scenes went with which movie, and couldn't remember if I was melding some of the AoS series in there. :smiley:

TV show information provided by The Movie Database