Sci-Fi Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

It's not going down very well here, people I know are losing interest and switching it off... That's also according to the newspapers here too... The difference is probably the fact that it's being hacked up on C4 rather than the full show over where you are. Due to this I've deleted my recordings and will wait for a box set to come out on DVD. :rolleyes:

It's not going down very well here, people I know are losing interest and switching it off... That's also according to the newspapers here too... The difference is probably the fact that it's being hacked up on C4 rather than the full show over where you are. Due to this I've deleted my recordings and will wait for a box set to come out on DVD. :rolleyes:
Ouch! Are they actually removing scenes or just chopping it with bad commercial breaks?

Been enjoying it for the most part over here in the U.S.
I missed the season premiere (may have to check it out online), but all of the others have been fairly decent.

I've watched every episode so far and, while I thoroughly enjoy these types of shows, I'm hoping the pace gets just a little bit faster as it goes along.

Marvels Agents of SHIELD or as I like to call it the Marvelous Agents of SHIELD... in a semi-sarcastic tone. I like it don't get me wrong. But I for one think the show is a lot different than how the viewing public originally thought this show was going to go... what do you folks think?

It was hampered by 2 things. Joss Wheadon's reputation and the success of the Marvel movies.

Personally, I'm enjoying it, however I can acknowledge it's absolute badness in most places. I think they needed to not play up Joss Wheadon's involvement. He's got basically no involvement.

A lot of the complaints are pretty valid though. The characters aren't really likable or relatable, there's an entire Marvel universe that they're just ignoring, and it's essentially a procedural spy show with occasional MOTW. I'm giving it a chance, because it IS the first season of a show and shows often take time to find their feet.

Complaints about special effects and stuff though? Come on, it's TV.

Personally, I am a huge comic book guy. Most of the Marvel movies I've found to be very enjoyable. That being said, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. does not live up to the standards of said movies. It is very boring and not very well executed in my opinion.

Personally, I am a huge comic book guy. Most of the Marvel movies I've found to be very enjoyable. That being said, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. does not live up to the standards of said movies. It is very boring and not very well executed in my opinion.
My guess is that you can get a lot higher standards out of a movie budget versus a weekly TV series budget...I've enjoyed the series myself, though it's very much geared toward folks who are going to watch every week. If a person came in to the most recent episode without having watched a couple of the others, they'd be very lost on who the guy with the new artificial leg was.

Unfortunately, that also tends to leave the viewer lacking when you're following a particular story thread, and see nothing about it for several weeks...

My guess is that you can get a lot higher standards out of a movie budget versus a weekly TV series budget...I've enjoyed the series myself, though it's very much geared toward folks who are going to watch every week. If a person came in to the most recent episode without having watched a couple of the others, they'd be very lost on who the guy with the new artificial leg was.

Unfortunately, that also tends to leave the viewer lacking when you're following a particular story thread, and see nothing about it for several weeks...

While, it may be true that a movie budget is going to leave "far more icing for the cake", that's still not an excuse to put an inferior product on television. Take The Walking Dead, for instance, that show has had it's budget cut, it's cycled through multiple show runners and yet the show is still engaging as ever. True, they can do a little more being on basic cable than SHIELD on regular network TV. Perhaps, Disney should have thought about that before shoving it onto ABC.

I'm glad too. The show has really picked up since Captain America TWS. I wish they'd had more freedom in the early series to show that there's something seriously wrong at shield, or even just focussed properly on one of their other storylines and been completely blindsided by TWS. (Don't get me wrong, I don't care a fig for Skye's parentage, but surely we could have been looking into that instead of fluffing about wasting time until TWS was released.)

I'm glad too. The show has really picked up since Captain America TWS. I wish they'd had more freedom in the early series to show that there's something seriously wrong at shield, or even just focussed properly on one of their other storylines and been completely blindsided by TWS. (Don't get me wrong, I don't care a fig for Skye's parentage, but surely we could have been looking into that instead of fluffing about wasting time until TWS was released.)
From the season finale it looks like Skye's background will be a bigger part of the second season. I was surprised a bit about Fitz's ending (spoiler tag below for those that haven't seen the finale yet). But at least we finally got to see Fury -- a quiet pretty subdued Fury that seems like he had taken one too many tranquilizers before showing up, but, still Fury.

I hope they keep Antoine on as a regular next season because, frankly, I think he fits in much better than Ward did. With Antoine's background, of his grandfather being one of the Howling Commandos from WWII with Captain America, the character seems like a more natural fit for the team. I won't miss Ward; I suspect he'll appear again at some point but I won't miss him in the interim.
My guess is that the ending with Fitz was because the actor may or may not have committed to coming back for a second season. I know the actor has a movie coming out so it's possible that either him or the show runners decided he needed a break.

We got to see Fury reveal his blind eye. In the comics of course he was portrayed as wearing an eye patch but in The Avengers he did not have one. With Captain America: The Winter Soldier he is attacked and presumed dead, which set up the second half of the first season of Agents of SHIELD, and from those injuries it looks like he'll be getting an eye patch in the movie universe now. EDIT: Correction, Fury did have a patch in the movies. Not sure what I was thinking but at the time of this post I had a clear image in my head of Jackson as Fury without the eye patch. :thinking:

Speaking of Fury, I wonder what role he'll be playing in The Avengers 3 and other movies coming out since he turned SHIELD over to Coulson? Does this mean a bigger role for Coulson in the movies or a smaller role for SHIELD in general?

In the comics of course he was portrayed as wearing an eye patch but in The Avengers he did not have one.

Yeah he did, you a crazy!

It did kind of seem like Sammy J didn't really feel like being there didn't it. Do you think he just shows up because of a contractual obligation but doesn't really try so that they'll stop bringing him in?

It did kind of seem like Sammy J didn't really feel like being there didn't it. Do you think he just shows up because of a contractual obligation but doesn't really try so that they'll stop bringing him in?
Good question -- actor contracts can be complicated and while I remember the press releases about him being under contract for X amount of Marvel movies I don't recall reading anything about whether it included TV appearances or not.