Superheroes Marvel's Jessica Jones (Netflix)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Marvel's Jessica Jones

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Drama

First aired: 2015-11-20

Creator: Melissa Rosenberg

Cast: Krysten Ritter, Rachael Taylor, Eka Darville, Benjamin Walker, Sarita Choudhury, Jeremy Bobb, Tiffany Mack, Carrie-Anne Moss

Overview: After a tragic ending to her short-lived super hero stint, Jessica Jones is rebuilding her personal life and career as a detective who gets pulled into cases involving people with extraordinary abilities in New York City.
Marvel's Jessica Jones (Netflix)

Netflix is getting ready for another Marvel series, Jessica Jones. The 13-episode series planned to be available in late 2015.

View attachment 12005

In true Marvel fashion, the studio’s latest project Jessica Jones has been pretty shrouded in mystery. Fortunately, executive producer Melissa Rosenberg was on hand at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour on Tuesday to divulge a bit of scoop on the upcoming Netflix series.

The drama follows the exploits of superhero-turned-private investigator Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter), who works on cases involving people with extraordinary abilities. Pulling inspiration from Brian Michael Bendis’ Alias run, Rosenberg described Jones as an “incredibly flawed, damaged and interesting character regardless of gender.”

Noting that Bendis wasn’t afraid to “go there” with the character’s imperfections, Rosenberg says the show will go “ever further in all our storytelling.” “That’s the beauty of working with Netflix,” she continued. “It’s 13 [episodes]. There’s no pilot and then getting feedback, reaction and ratings. You’re in this bubble. So, what’s the story you want to tell? Where do you want to go with [the characters]? It’s a little scary at times, but I also think it’s the most freeing experience I’ve ever had.”

Still, Rosenberg said they’ve strived to stay true to the mythology of the character. “We’re using some pretty obscure characters, so we’re taking them all over the place,” she said while discussing Marvel being supportive of their creative process. “We have to be cognizant of the mythology and the world.”

Despite following Daredevil — and eventually teaming up with him (Charlie Cox), Luke Cage (Mike Colter) and Iron Fist (uncast) for the Defenders project — Jessica Jones is “wildly different” than its Netflix predecessor.

“Jessica Jones is a very, very different show than Daredevil,” Rosenberg said. “We exist in a cinematic universe, [and] the mythology of the universe is connected, but they look very different, tonally they’re very different… That was my one concern coming in: Am I going to have to fit into Daredevil or what’s come before? And the answer is no.”

But the contrasts don’t stop with tone. “My show’s called Jessica Jones,” Rosenberg said, noting that Cox may get a break during stunts. “There is no mask. Krysten Ritter is the hardest working woman in show biz.”

Full story at EW (Marvel's Jessica Jones' heroine is 'incredibly flawed')
Wait a minute....
“Jessica Jones is a very, very different show than Daredevil,” Rosenberg said. “We exist in a cinematic universe, [and] the mythology of the universe is connected, but they look very different, tonally they’re very different… That was my one concern coming in: Am I going to have to fit into Daredevil or what’s come before? And the answer is no.”
The continuity between the Marvel projects is part of their success. It is why DC might have some successful shows/movies but every few years they are are 'rebooted' with no consistency or acknowledgement of other DC projects. If Jessica Jones doesn't have to "fit into Daredevil" then that could be a problem.

Netflix just announced its original series Marvel’s Jessica Jones will premiere on November 20 at 12:01 AM PT. The drama will debut with 13 one-hour episodes in all territories where Netflix is available.

For those not familiar with the character...

After the orphan (her parents and brother were killed in the crash) gets her powers and becomes the superhero Jewel, things kind of go awry when she's captured by Purple Man, who uses his pheromone powers to place her under his control.

After doing some bad things, like attacking the police and storming the Avengers' mansion, she eventually comes out of the trance but swears off her superpowers, becoming a private investigator instead and opening Alias Investigations. The show is actually based on Marvel's "Alias" comics written from 2001 through 2004.

Of course, Jones keeps one foot in the superhero world, spending her time investigating people with extraordinary abilities. She also dates hero-for-hire Luke Cage and eventually gets hired by Matt Murdock, aka Daredevil, which is likely how this show will fit in with Marvel's first Netflix release.

After "Daredevil" (which premiered April 10), "Jessica Jones" is the second of four shows Marvel has planned for release on Netflix. The third will be "Luke Cage" (naturally) and the fourth is slated to be "Iron Fist." After those shows have their runs, all four characters will team up for the ensemble show "The Defenders."​

Wait, wait... Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones in an ensemble show?! Why, yes, I will be watching that. :D

What!? Jessica Jones? This should be an R-rated show! I'm surprised that Marvel's bringing out its B-list characters for the small screen. Is Bendis going to be writing? That would be too awesome!

The official trailer has been released. Looks good and a little more intense and darker than Daredevil.
Ooh, this is really starting to look like it'll be a great drama.

I'm really liking that Marvel is allowing Netflix to take the shows to some dark places. Some of things hinted at in the comics over the years have been as dark as you could possibly get but in the comics & the movies they can't come out and say in no uncertain terms what is happening.

For those that may be thinking that they've heard a voice from the trailer before, you're absolutely correct. :D The Purple Man is being played by David Tennant of Doctor Who fame.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. I'm going in blind though as I've no previous knowledge of Jessica Jones or her story. Should be a good show though.

The Purple Man is being played by David Tennant of Doctor Who fame.
An extremely underrated Marvel villain. And definitely one of the nastier ones. The woman they've got playing Jessica Jones looks younger than how I visualised the character...someone a little older (mid-30s), not as physically fit, pretty disorganised and just very slightly trashy in her attitude. I just checked and they've got someone named Melissa Rosenberg writing the show. She could be good, but I think they missed out by not getting Brian Michael Bendis to pen the show. He would have made it both dark and funny with killer dialogue.

I 'binge watched' this one over a few days and, yikes, this has got to be the darkest Marvel production to date in regards to subject matter. :wideeyed:

Tennant does a masterful job of portraying a psycho who can get almost anything he wants from anybody at anytime and, when things don't go his way, the repercussions can be devastating. I was kind of surprised at the conclusion of the story arc in episode 13 but, considering the build up to it, the ending was the only natural result.

Visually Jones looks different from its sister-show, Daredevil. Whereas Daredevil took place almost entirely at night with comic-book like lighting, Jones takes place throughout the day with natural lighting appearing more like a traditional movie or TV series versus a 'superhero' show. Jones is decidedly more about portraying New York in a gritty crime drama setting versus the lighter tone of a costume wearing hero with a sidekick.

For anybody looking at Jones as a Marvel superhero show they'll be disappointed; this is a psychological drama showing somebody coming close to a mental breakdown at the hands of a sadistic masochist and their road to recovery after they break free. It just happens to take place in the Marvel universe where superheroes are real and some people have extraordinary abilities.
What!? Jessica Jones? This should be an R-rated show!
It's definitely an R-rated show! Between the sex & violence the MPAA would have a field day with it if this was a theatrical release. The language isn't too bad but sex & violence, yeah, plenty of that, particularly the violence or at least violent scenes.

In what shouldn't be a surprise to anybody, Netflix has announced Jessica Jones will be getting a second season. It's too early for any expected release dates but at the moment the 2nd season is ordered for 13 episodes.

Marvel Television Wins Its First Emmy

567078af99463.jpg

"Marvel's Jessica Jones" continues to pick up awards, earning Marvel Television its very first Emmy!

Congratulations to Sean Callery for his win in the category of Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music at the Creative Arts Emmys! The latest win follows a Peabody Award for "Marvel's Jessica Jones" and a Hugo award for Best Dramatic Presentation.

Watch the opening sequence again below, then experience it all again with "Marvel's Jessica Jones" now streaming only on Netflix.

standard_medium.jpg

(via Marvel)

Jessica Jones returns March 8. The new season delves into her history and, if rumors are to be believed, a certain purple man reappears though unknown if in flashback, hallucination, or physically.

Jessica Jones returns March 8.
Versus the first season, and the other Netflix Marvel series like Daredevil, Luke Cage, and The Defenders, S2 of Jessica Jones was a little underwhelming. The story line itself was interesting as it goes into detail as to the origins of Jessica's powers and some others. It was just laboriously slow though; the same story could've been told in half the number of episodes without leaving much out.

To be blunt, 13 episodes watched any my lingering thought is only "They should've kept Whizzer around for future shows!". :coffee:

... and S3 has just been confirmed.
... and it's been confirmed, it's over for Marvel and Netflix. After S3 of Jessica Jones premieres later in 2019 there'll be no more Disney/Marvel shows on Marvel, all of the Marvel shows have been officially cancelled.

... and it's been confirmed, it's over for Marvel and Netflix. After S3 of Jessica Jones premieres later in 2019 there'll be no more Disney/Marvel shows on Marvel, all of the Marvel shows have been officially cancelled.
June 14th is the drop date of S3. Start getting ready to say goodbye to the Netflix Marvel verse since once Disney migrates their properties to their own Disney+ streaming service it's a good bet that none of the Netflix shows will be considered canon and are destined likely to be rebooted at some point.