Superheroes Marvel's The Defenders (Netflix)

Azhria Lilu

Captain
Title: Marvel's The Defenders

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Action & Adventure, Crime

First aired: 2017-08-18

Creator: Douglas Petrie, Marco Ramirez

Cast: Charlie Cox, Krysten Ritter, Mike Colter, Finn Jones, Eka Darville, Elden Henson, Jessica Henwick, Simone Missick, Ramón Rodríguez, Rachael Taylor, Deborah Ann Woll, Élodie Yung, Rosario Dawson, Scott Glenn, Sigourney Weaver

Overview: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist join forces to take on common enemies as a sinister conspiracy threatens New York City.
Marvel's The Defenders (Netflix)

Guess this goes to show just how big Netflix is becoming.

Walt Disney and Netflix are joining forces to bring four beloved Marvel heroes to the small screen from 2015. Each 13-episode series of the four show epic will focus on a different character – Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage – before culminating in The Defenders mini-series, which “reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters”. It’s basically the big screen Marvel Universe formula on a small scale. The press release can be found in full below.

The Walt Disney Co and Netflix Inc today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel’s most popular characters exclusively to the world’s leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a mini-series programming event.

Led by a series focused on “Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage,” the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel’s “The Defenders” mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel’s most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.

“This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel’s brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty,” said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. “This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what’s sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure.”

“Marvel’s movies, such as ‘Iron Man’ and ‘Marvel’s The Avengers,’ are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. “With ‘House of Cards’ and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we’re thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude.”

What did you guys think of The Defenders?

The Defenders is the culmination of Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. It was several years in the making with each of the individual shows acting as the origins story before having the characters join together in a full-on shown down against The Hand organization.

I enjoyed watching the first three shows, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, & Luke Cage, but was a little disappointed with Iron Fist. While I looked forward to binge watching the other shows I kind of felt like I was watching Iron Fist only because I had to in order get the backstory before watching Defenders.

The first few episodes of Defenders felt like an extension of Iron Fist but the action picks up. Sigourney Weaver, as the leader of The Hand organization, excels in the role as you know she's supposed to be "the bad guy" but at the same time you can't help feel a bit of pity for her.

If you've been watching the Daredevil show then you'll likely want to watch Defenders before the new Daredevil season starts. Murdoch's inner turmoil of who he is comes to a conclusion in Defenders. And remember that big hole in ground The Hand was working on? Yeah, it's explained.

Luke Cage fans will want to watch Defenders as it shows a pivotal origins scene for Misty Knight and her friendship with Colleen Wing.

Overall I liked Defenders better than Iron Fist but storytelling wise I think I'd have to place Jessica Jones and the first season of Daredevil higher up on the quality list.

The one thing that really bothered me about the Defenders was the final reveal as to what exactly The Hand was after in NY.
Apparently oil from dinosaurs is good for powering our cars but oil from dragons will give you eternal life.:LOL:

Expecting to be harrangued but I absolutely hated Luke Cage - it bored me to tears. I love Mike Colter, he's perfect in the role, I love Luke Cage the character. I adored seeing Theo Rossi (yum yum) but the storyline was beyond tedious. I think the last episode where there was actually some action was the only episode worth watching.

Jessica Jones scraped through because of David Tennant - there's rumours he's back in season 2 (yay!) so hopefully that'll perk up.

Daredevil - well, what can I say. Love that series.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed Iron Fist - the writers have already said that it's a slow burn to get him up to really being Iron Fist

Which brings us to The Defenders - the first episode had me questioning whether it was going to be any good, but I pushed through and I thought it was great. Chemistry between the characters was good, there were some very funny scenes and one-liners and I liked the way
it culminated in showing Danny in his tracksuit at the end (albeit very briefly)

As for @Kevin's spoiler there, it actually kinda made sense:-

Killing the dragon gives the victor the ability to become the Immortal Iron Fist (key word being immortal there) - so drilling its bones (was it oil they were after, I don't recall them actually saying what it was.. other than showing them drilling into the bones) to extract something makes sense)

I adored seeing Theo Rossi (yum yum)
I couldn't help but think "Poor, Juice, back in prison!". :D
Jessica Jones scraped through because of David Tennant - there's rumours he's back in season 2 (yay!) so hopefully that'll perk up.
I've heard that he's shot a few scenes but from what I'm gathering so far it'll be more flashback type stuff as Jessica is still dealing with the head games he did to her.
the writers have already said that it's a slow burn to get him up to really being Iron Fist
There's slow and then there "How much filler can we get away with so this series is about as long as the other ones so we can hurry up and switch to The Defenders instead?". :coffee:
As for @Kevin's spoiler there, it actually kinda made sense:-
It was the black goo they were after all along. They used the last remaining goo to revive Electra which was a point of contention between The Hand leaders because it meant that there was no more for them to use themselves; if they didn't find the goo they were all going to die.

I couldn't help but think "Poor, Juice, back in prison!". :D
Hah same. I do like Theo, although it looked odd without his SOA haircut.

I've heard that he's shot a few scenes but from what I'm gathering so far it'll be more flashback type stuff as Jessica is still dealing with the head games he did to her.
Yeah, I heard that too. What worries me is that season 1 was good because of Tennant, the scenes with Jessica on her own were mostly boring. So I'm not entirely certain season 2 will be as entertaining.

There's slow and then there "How much filler can we get away with so this series is about as long as the other ones so we can hurry up and switch to The Defenders instead?". :coffee:
But I didn't find the show itself to be slow, in the strictest sense of the word. There was enough going on story-wise.

As for your spoiler, yeah I know, but they didn't explain what it was exactly. :D