Mass Effect

Kuzzle

Cadet
This is how Mass Effect treats other games. b-( That's because it kicks so much ass, it doesn't have a choice in the matter. I can't wait until it comes out, and if I could get this, I might actually be able to not whine about Hero's Journey!

The Official Site!

The FAQ linked to on the official site!

If you're able to look at all that and not see how awesome this game will be, you must be some kind of inhuman. *loud whining noise*

Yeah, i have no idea why bioware keeps making x-box exclusive games, particularly rpgs since the PC is the main format for that type of game.

What are you talking about? I've yet to see that type of game on a PC. I think it's a good thing that it's on a console. Single player games on the computer = Usually felgercarb. That's just my opinion, so please don't flame, but I prefer being able to relax and stretch out while playing those types of games. You just can't do that while you have to rely on a keyboard.

Regardless of how you feel, or how you like to arrange your body while gaming, Kuzzle, what Orba said is right - PC is the top platform for RPGs. That's just, like, a fact. So the point stands that these folk are pretty odd for ignoring it.

I can't think of any third person, single-player, RPGs for the computer. Would you mind naming a few for me? I mean PC-exclusives, by the way. I might just be spacing, but I seriously can't think of any. By the way, I'm not trying to be rude, just wondering if I'm forgetting something.

NeverWinter Nights 2 is one of the bigger PC-only ones (seeing you don't want to include cross platform games live Elder Scrolls Oblivion which do absolutely HUGE business on the PC), doing the rounds right now.

NeverWinter Nights doesn't count, as it can be played by multiple people. Even if Oblivion weren't a cross-platform title, it wouldn't count, as it's primarily a first person game. Can you think of any without ignoring my criteria?

NeverWinter Nights doesn't count, as it can be played by multiple people. Even if Oblivion weren't a cross-platform title, it wouldn't count, as it's primarily a first person game. Can you think of any without ignoring my criteria?

Gothic 3, game sucks but it fits your criteria

Thanks. Said a few, though. Anyway, my point was that most game of the same type as Mass Effect are for consoles. Guess I should've expected some PC fanbois at a fansite for a PC game, though. :|

Your criteria are stupid. I think you're setting such criteria just to try and win the argument. I know plenty of people who buy the NWN games, for example, and NEVER play them as multiplayer - they just play the single player campaign. So to dismiss them out of hand just because there's a multiplayer feature, that a lot of folk don't even bother with, is patently ridiculous. NWN is, for many people, a single player game.

I was just arguing that the PC is not the main platform for "this type of game". No need to call my criteria stupid just because I was limiting the list to this type of game. Sheesh.

Good single-player RPGs for PC? Here's my list:

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Any of the gold box games
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
FFVII
Neverwinter Nights (Single Player)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (Single Player)
War of Genesis III
Magna Carta

There're probably more, but I haven't played more than this.

The Playstation/2 is the primary bastion of single-player RPGs, though. No contest.

I know plenty of people who buy the NWN games, for example, and NEVER play them as multiplayer - they just play the single player campaign. So to dismiss them out of hand just because there's a multiplayer feature, that a lot of folk don't even bother with, is patently ridiculous. NWN is, for many people, a single player game.

*waves* Without getting into the rest of the discussion, I've played NWN, but never did multiplayer. So I can attest to that.

Edit: Since Riceman and I posted almost simultaneously- let me just add Icewind Dale to his list.

Playing NWN single-player-style is like playing single-player PSO. It's designed for multi-player use, and, as such, isn't quite the same as a game that's built for exclusively single-player gameplay. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with those types of games, I just acknowledge the difference.

Also, thank you, Riceman. At least someone's lookin' at the numbers. :P No offense there, Blur.

Playing NWN single-player-style is like playing single-player PSO. It's designed for multi-player use, and, as such, isn't quite the same as a game that's built for exclusively single-player gameplay. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with those types of games, I just acknowledge the difference.

I disagree that single player NWN is like single player PSO. PSO is and always was intended to be massively multiplayer. The single player mode was tacked on at the last second in development in that game. In NWN, the single player campaign was carefully crafted through at least half of the entire game's development cycle.

Also, thank you, Riceman. At least someone's lookin' at the numbers. :P No offense there, Blur.

While friendly rivalry is fine, I'd appreciate it if both you and Blur would quit goading each other. It can only lead to flame wars, which would naturally result in some bans. So, don't do it.

Playing NWN single-player-style is like playing single-player PSO. It's designed for multi-player use, and, as such, isn't quite the same as a game that's built for exclusively single-player gameplay.
Utter BS. There is nothing about NWN's single player campaign that makes the user think "OH! This would be so much better/different if there wasn't a multiplayer component tacked onto the game client..." In other words, the fact you can multiplayer NWN never interferes with the single player game. Infact, if someone didn't know any better, they'd just play it as a single player game and not even realise they could multiplayer it. You make it sound like it has flashing neon signs saying THIS IS A MULTIPLAYER GAME AND YOU'RE AN IDIOT FOR PLAYING IT SOLO!!! whilst you play the single player campaign, or something.

Neverwinter Nights is a pretty terrible single player game. The game's just not designed for it and the original campaign is little more than an example of what the game is capable of.

Neverwinter Nights is a pretty terrible single player game. The game's just not designed for it and the original campaign is little more than an example of what the game is capable of.
Call it that way if you like, but it's still fact that plenty of people just play the single player game.

There's also a passionate community who play the official expansion packs for the first game - there are heaps of those expansions now. Again, they don't go anywhere near the multiplayer version.

Back