Media's depiction of beauty

9Lives

Cadet
I was helping a friend out with a paper she's writing for one of her media classes, and she's writing about the influence of media in terms of beauty. Anyway, we were trying to think of shows and/or movies that involve female characters getting "make-overs" without the use of plastic surgery..I guess more of an esteem-boost sort of thing. Anyone care to give some ideas?

I think the media reflects American societal images of beauty, while simultaneously perpetuating and exacerbating them.

A recent example I can think of would be the wedding on Brothers & Sisters -- obviously you want to be pretty for your wedding, but what does 'pretty' mean? The way TV presents beauty is probably internalized by a lot of us.

I'd also point out that although a lot of our images of beauty come from what the media shows us, a lot of how we see beauty also comes from what the media doesn't show us. As just one example, obese people are rarely presented in the media as beautiful and I think that this certainly perpetuates (if not creates) the idea that obesity and beauty are contradictory.

Maybe physical makeovers aren't the only thing that people need. Not everyone can afford to go out and buy new clothes, shoes, etc. Maybe a mind makeover is what is needed. I saw a preview the other day for a new show hosted by Carson Kressley that is supposed to dispell the myth that women tell themselves about their bodies. I think it was called "How To look good naked" Has anyone else seen the previews? Know when it starts?

Back