Melancholy Elephants, by Spider Robinson

Omphalos

Orthodox Herbertarian
MelancholyElephants.jpg

As a lawyer who spends a lot of time on line with fellow book lovers I am frequently asked for my opinion on copyright matters. Sadly I am not an expert in the field. I know one or two of those guys who practice Intellectual Property (”IP”) law, and I have to say honestly that it takes a certain type of personality to thrive in that profession. I am not one of those types. But I do have an understanding of the basics of the law, and I can argue the public policy behind the law with the best of them. After reading Spider Robinson’s short story Melancholy Elephants, it is pretty clear to me that he can too. Melancholy Elephants is an unexpected gem of a story about the importance of restraint in the application of copyright law. In typical Robinsonian style the author takes a position grounded in the spiritual needs of people, and informed his character’s outlooks with Buddhist teachings. For a short story the piece is surprisingly well developed and deep, and it really misses very little in its thorough, multi-faceted examination of the problems that come with over-protective legislation...Please click here, or on the book cover above, to be taken to the complete review..

Back