Melee Weapons are great. Really they are.

Shelley_c

Ensign
I never could understand the stupidity of people in movies/shows when that zombie apocalypse comes. Doesn't it make sense for each member of the team to carry a sword/blade for when they run out of ammo? Let's take it one step further, train each of the team in using the melee weapon resulting in more zombie kills or when they find themselves in tight spots.

Personally, I'd see the whole zombie/infected apocalypse as an advance version of left for dead 2 computer game. The more kills the greater your rep and higher chances of surviving.

Why can't in movies, the teams fighting the infected think like this? ;)

I concur with your statement. I mean if you think about it, it's the most logical approach seeing as how its stealthy and doesn't attract much attention. No required ammo necessary. Some light maintenance to keep the blade sharp or the handle strong. Don't see why the first thought is to jump the gun, no pun intended.

Hello! :cat:

I think that it would be better not to use a gun too often in a ZA situation. I believe that it is common for zombies to respond to sound. If you use a gun then they will come toward you.

I would carry a gun. However I would want to have some sort of bladed weapon. I would want a machete or a cleaver. If I had different weapon I would want to have either a kukri or a pair of katars.

Reason people "jump the gun" is because you do not have to get close to a walker or zombie, meaning there really isn't a chance of getting bit and you don't want to get too close to a whole group of walkers by yourself with just a melee weapon. So both guns and melee weapons have their uses and I would prefer to have both, especially dealing with other survivors who may or may not be friendly to you. Obviously if you were in a situation that you had to get pass one zombie, use the melee weapon so you can get by quietly. Otherwise if you had a large group coming at you, you already have their attention and might as well pull out that pistol or shotgun.

Everyone should carry a crowbar for smashing in heads & opening doors/boarded windows... handy tool as well as a way of killing.

Hmmm fair point but to be honest you could say that about any melee weapon, you could have a sword or something like that but in untrained hands its not much use kind of like if someone had a crossbow but hadn't trained with it, a good sized crowbar you could easily smash someones head in like with a hammer or baseball bat but on the plus side it has plenty of other uses, like many melee weapons though it wouldn't be ideal for taking on a group especially if the zombies are like this new wave of olympic sprinting free running zombies!

I'd have to agree with Klownz on this one, with a crowbar you could smash a head in, and the brain along with it, while still being able to use it for other things.

Back