Melissa Joining Grey's Anatomy

I just read that Melissa George is joining the cast of "Grey's Anatomy" for 11 episodes as new intern 'Sadie'. :D

Initial reports said that her character was going to be bisexual. But there are rumours that ABC were unhappy with the lesbian storyline between Callie and Erica Hahn which lead to actress Brooke Smith leaving the show.

I guess if she becomes popular, Melissa could be asked to stay. :cool:

Grey's Anatomy - Wikipedia
On November 3, 2008, it was reported by Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello that Erica would depart from Grey's Anatomy on November 6. Series creator Shonda Rhimes issued the statement that:

"Brooke Smith was obviously not fired for playing a lesbian. Clearly it's not an issue as we have a lesbian character on the show -- Calliope Torres. Sara Ramirez is an incredible comedic and dramatic actress and we wanted to be able to play up her magic. Unfortunately, we did not find that the magic and chemistry with Brooke's character would sustain in the long run. The impact of the Callie/Erica relationship will be felt and played out in a story for Callie. I believe it belittles the relationship to simply replace Erica with 'another lesbian.' If you'll remember, Cristina mourned the loss of Burke for a full season."

E! Online's Kristin Dos Santos reported that Smith's dismissal from the show was enforced by the ABC network, as part of an attempt to "de-gay" Grey's Anatomy. She revealed that as well as writing out the character Erica Hahn, Grey's Anatomy newcomer Melissa George would no longer be playing a bisexual character as announced.

Brooke Smith, interviewed by Michael Ausiello, stated that:
"I was very excited when they told me that Erica and Callie were going to have this relationship. And I really hoped we were going to show what happens when two women fall in love and that they were going to treat it like any heterosexual couple on TV. And so I was surprised and disappointed when they just suddenly told me that they couldn't write for my character anymore. [...] I found out in mid-September soon after shooting the monologue that aired last week where Erica has the revelation that she's gay. They even came down and told me it was a great scene -- one of the best they ever shot on the show. So I was really, really shocked. I was floored when they told me [I was being let go]. It was the last thing I expected. In fact, when they told me I asked, "When is this happening?" And they said, "The [next episode] is your last," which is the one that airs this Thursday. So it was very sudden."

Smith explained that the script for her final episode did not involve her character being written out, and that Erica's final scene on the show is "just [her] heading to [her] car." She agreed with the assessment that her dismissal originated from ABC and not Shonda Rhimes herself, stating: "it definitely seemed like [Shonda's] hands were tied."

I didn't like the character Erica for her self-rightiousness and for her self-importance conflict with the other doctors. Bad writing and her lack of chemistry must have led to her dismissal.

Back