Melissa Quitting Grey's Anatomy

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/01/greys-anatomy-1.html
'Grey's Anatomy' exclusive: Melissa George checks out
Jan 12, 2009, 04:12 PM
by Michael Ausiello

As I taught you long ago, the Golden Globes aren't so much a showcase for award-worthy talent and polarizing fashion as they are a hotbed for exclusive prattle. To wit, shortly after Sunday's kudosfest ended, Melissa George presented me with a doozy of a scoop: She's leaving Grey's Anatomy, STAT.

"It was my choice," the actress-slash-Golden Globe nominee (for In Treatment) confirmed to me at HBO's red-hot after-party, held poolside at the Beverly Hilton. "My last day of work is Tuesday."

But lest you think this is yet another in a long line of rocky Grey's exits (see also: Isaiah Washington, Brooke Smith, possibly T.R. Knight), George, who joined the ABC soap last November as Mer's maybe-gay BFF, is leaving on the best of terms.

"I love the show so much," she gushes. "I've made some beautiful friends. I love T.R. Knight. I love Patrick Dempsey, Justin Chambers... I adore Ellen Pompeo. I think she's a strong, incredible woman. And Katherine Heigl is the most beautiful creature on Earth."

Then, um, why leave? George says she simply wants to "do something else." Already? Well, a Grey's insider does suggest that the parting of the ways was more mutual than simply the actress' choice. "Melissa's arc came to a natural end. Everyone at the show adores her. We're genuinely sad to see her go."

George's initial deal called for her to appear in roughly 8-11 episodes with an option to become a series regular, like Kevin McKidd. But her Sadie had a much more rocky introduction than the Iraq doc, what with the self-mutilation and ambiguous sexuality. The latter characteristic was especially ill-timed coming off of Hahn's controversial exit. "The character was cursed from Day One," sniffs an ABC source. "She was very difficult to root for."

George concedes that Sadie was unconventional, even by Grey's standards. But recent episodes had revealed a calmer, gentler side to her. "When you take out your insides and you're hitting on every guy and girl in the hospital... you have to pull back," her portrayer suggests. "She's a doctor. You have to be professional. For her, she had to stop doing that or else she would've been kicked out."

Is that a tease for Sadie's exit? George won't say, but she reveals that "it won't be a big send-off, but it's really cool what they do."

In other words, Sadie won't be banished to the parking lot with Hahn.

So what do you think, Grey's fans? Happy to see Sadie go? I am. As much as I love George, her character wasn't working for me. Do you agree? Disagree? Sound off below, and be sure to check back often, as this was just the first of the Globes scoops I dug up! (Wednesday's AA is going to be massive. Seriously.)

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Melissa George announces departure from Grey's Anatomy
January 14, 2009 12:00am

It's all go for Melissa George. The same week she attended the Golden Globes as a nominee for In Treatment, she announced her exit from Grey's Anatomy.

"It was my choice," the Aussie actress told EntertainmentWeekly.com.

George's initial deal called for her to appear in roughly eight to 11 episodes with an option to become a series regular.

Asked why she was leaving, George simply said, "To do something else."

The show, which screens in Australia on Channel 7, is not doing so well in the ratings and has already lost already Isaiah Washington (Dr Preston Burke) and Brooke Smith (Dr Erica Hahn), while TR Knight (Dr George O'Malley) is reportedly on the verge of leaving.

But George, who joined the soap last November as the show's new interm, Sadie, a bisexual who is a friend of Dr Meredith Grey (played by Ellen Pompeo), would not criticise the show.

"I love the show so much," George said.

"I've made some beautiful friends. I love TR Knight. I love Patrick Dempsey, Justin Chambers ... adore Ellen Pompeo. I think she's a strong, incredible woman.

"And Katherine Heigl is the most beautiful creature on earth."

Back