Memoirs of a Geisha

dying to watch this... :woot: hope that the movie will be as good as the book. basing from the trailer and pictures posted here there everywhere... it looks fantabulous!

I.CANT.WAIT.

tssss... looong wait.

My sister read the book, but I was about 7 so my mom wouldn't let me read it, too. :lol: But I really want to see the movie! Hopefully this weekend or next week...

I saw the movie on Wednesday and I thought it was good. Some of the other people that I went with said that the book was better, but I haven't read it so...but overall it was really good, I liked it.

My mom read reviews, and apparently people seem disappointed by how Western they made it (meaning American, European, not like Brokeback Mountain :lol:smiley:. Not very authentic, slightly changed from the book, etc. I'll still see it, though.

I just saw the movie and thought it was a beautiful movie. I haven't read the book and would be very interested in knowing how the book ended. (I was told that the book ended differently than the movie)

Has anyone read the book?

In the book, Sayuri moved to the US with umm.. what's his name... umm... ya, well they moved to the states. ;)

I also thought the book was better than the movie but as far as the movie itself went and as far as book to movie adaptation, I thought they did a great job. The ending was different, yes, but it wasn't unsatisfying or cliff hanger-y (unlike coughharrypottercough. :inncoent: ) And you obviously don't get the same effect watching the movie and reading the book. I'm just one of those people who likes to read about all the details and etc. ;)
--Mandy :angelic:

Thanks, I still don't know if I want to read the book...I don't like to read about people being cruel to each other. There was so much beauty on the screen, but apart from that Sayuri seemed to have more negitive things happen to her than positive.

i find that the book was better then the movie
the movie got kinda boring after awhile
i would have to say that the one thing that bothered me about the book and the movie was that she was in love with a man who could have been her father. that was a little disturbing

I was really surprised the reviews were so felgercarb, coz personally i thought the movie was beautifully made, on the whole. I haven't read the book, but the movie made perfect sense to me. I have to say it was a bit long, and I did catch myself dozing off a little towards the middle, but Gong Li was perfection and I enjoyed the movie despite the poor english, which I was really surprised about. I think with a little cropping and a little more real Geisha-ness, like those fan dances and things, the movie potentially could've been a bit better.

Back