Merlin

Galicdreamer

These Words, From My Heart...
Has anyone else been watching the NBC miniseries Merlin? Some of the actors on the show (ie: Lancelot and Arthur) Very easy on the eyes! They really play with the story of King Arthur and the Camelot but other than that, it's actually rather good.

I watch the show, but I have big problems with the characters being so different from the traditional legend of King Arthur.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/King_Arthur
Although the themes, events and characters of the Arthurian legend varied widely from text to text, and there is no one canonical version, Geoffrey of Monmouth's fanciful and imaginative 12th-century Historia Regum Britanniae (History of the Kings of Britain) version of events often served as the starting point for later stories.

Geoffrey depicted Arthur as a king of Britain who defeated the Saxons and established an empire over Britain, Ireland, Iceland, Norway and Gaul. In fact, many elements and incidents that are now an integral part of the Arthurian story appear in Geoffrey's Historia, including Arthur's father Uther Pendragon, the wizard Merlin, the sword Excalibur, Arthur's birth at Tintagel, his final battle against Mordred at Camlann and final rest in Avalon. The 12th-century French writer Chrétien de Troyes, who added Lancelot and the Holy Grail to the story, began the genre of Arthurian romance that became a significant strand of medieval literature. In these French stories, the narrative focus often shifts from King Arthur himself to other characters, such as various Knights of the Round Table. Arthurian literature thrived during the Middle Ages but waned in the centuries that followed until it experienced a major resurgence in the 19th century. In the 21st century, the legend lives on, not only in literature but also in adaptations for theatre, film, television, comics and other media.

The version of King Arthur that I like the best is the movie "Excalibur" from 1981.
http://en.wikipedia....Excalibur_(film)

The BBC series, right? At first I found it very difficult to accept as I'm a big fan of the whole Merlin/King Arthur mythology. But if you can push beyond that and just watch it as a bit of fun, it's actually not too bad. There are some very funny scenes between Merlin and Arthur!

The BBC series, right? At first I found it very difficult to accept as I'm a big fan of the whole Merlin/King Arthur mythology. But if you can push beyond that and just watch it as a bit of fun, it's actually not too bad. There are some very funny scenes between Merlin and Arthur!

Yes, this is the BBC series. So we are far behind you in the UK. The last episode we saw was the introduction to Lancelot.

It finished quite a while ago over here. Think we're not far away from the next season! Anthony Head makes a great King Uther (he's a bit of a bastard lol)

It finished quite a while ago over here. Think we're not far away from the next season! Anthony Head makes a great King Uther (he's a bit of a bastard lol)

Uther being a bad guy is consistent with the traditional story. Him not allowing magic to be used is inconsistent with the traditional story. In the movie Excalibur, Uther has Merlin disguise him as an enemy warlord so he can
rape the man's wife. Arthur is the result of that union. Merlin takes away baby Arthur to be raised by others so he won't be raised by Uther.
I didn't recognise Anthony Head when the series first started.
wink.gif

He's come a long way from being one half of the Coffee Lovers commercials.
laugh.gif

The TV commercial was the nearly the same in the UK, Canada, and the USA, but different brands of coffee were promoted in each country.

Yeah it was Gold Blend over here :LOL:

I love the film Excalibur, it's probably the closest portrayal to the legend that there's been.

The Arthur books by Bernard Cornwell (the author of the Sharpe Novels) are a fantastic read too, should anyone enjoy the Arthur mythology!

Yeah it was Gold Blend over here
laugh.gif

I love the film Excalibur, it's probably the closest portrayal to the legend that there's been.

The Arthur books by Bernard Cornwell (the author of the Sharpe Novels) are a fantastic read too, should anyone enjoy the Arthur mythology!

The American's commercial was for Taster's Choice because the company dropped the Nescafé brand. The Canadian commercial was for Nescafé. Nestlé was the parent company, but had different brand names for the same product.
blink.gif

Excalibur is my favourite version of King Arthur legend. I loved the scene in the forest where the adulterous Guinevere and Lancelot wake up and find out that Arthur had seen them, leaving Excalibur stuck into the ground between them.

I like it just for the pure enjoyment of the series. I think it's all fun. But I loved seeing Anthony Head in anything as a loyal and die hard Buffy fan, I think he is fabulous actor who hold a special place in my heart. Is a bit of a bastard in this series but.....that's what he is suppose to be playing.

Have to be honest when I saw the previews for the this one I thought of the Sam Neil "Merlin" immediately. And while it was long, it actually was very good.

I just watched the episode of Merlin where he and the gang visits Merlin's home village. They find it's inhabitants are being bullied by local bandits. Merlin's childhood friend wants to just do whatever the bandits want. Merlin and the gang want to teach the villagers to fight back.

The friend sees Merlin use magic, so then he pressures him to use magic to take care of the enemy rather than have the villagers defend themselves.

Back