Michael Vartan's ROGUE movie

Vartan & Mitchell Hunted by Giant Crocodile
Source: Shan October 28, 2005

E! News is reporting that Michael Vartan (Alias, Monster-in-Law) and Radha Mitchell (the upcoming Silent Hill) will star in writer/director Greg McLean's Rogue for The Weinstein Co.

The film, about a giant crocodile stalking tourists in the Australian outback, will shoot Down Under. Pre-production is reportedly taking place in Port Melbourne.

Five years ago, the script centered on a cynical U.S. travel writer who goes on a river cruise captained by a tough Australian woman and finds himself among a group of people stranded on a tidal mud island.

McLean, who also wrote and directed Wolf Creek, previously said, "The thing about crocodiles is that they are scary if you just tell the truth about them."
Source: ComingSoon.net (thanks to Chatty :smiley: for the link)

eta: other info :coolio: ...
~ Alias star to play crocodile hunter

They are filming in my home state (which is a territory, its too difficult to explain). And I'm going back when they leave. Noooooooooooooo. So a Halloween release date is possible.

Movie stars arrive in NT
By GREG McLEAN
05nov05
AUSTRALIA'S hottest director and two Hollywood stars arrived in the NT yesterday to start filming a $20 million movie starring a rogue crocodile.

Writer-director Greg McLean -- who learned yesterday that his latest film Wolf Creek had debuted at No. 1 at the Australian box office -- has brought together a stellar cast for his next project, Rogue.

Hollywood heart-throb Michael Vartan -- who starred alongside Jennifer Lopez in Monster-in-Law this year and also wooed audiences as agent Michael Vaughn in the TV series Alias opposite Jennifer Garner -- joins the cream of Australia's acting talent in the big-budget movie about an American travel writer whose tour group is stalked by a rogue crocodile in the Aussie outback.

Australian beauty Radha Mitchell will also feature in a home-grown film for the first time in two years after her stellar performance in Woody Allen's Melinda and Melinda.

Joining the Hollywood hotshots are John Jarratt (Wolf Creek, McLeod's Daughters), Sam Worthington (Somersault, Gettin' Square) and Stephen Curry (Thunderstruck, The Nugget).

Mr McLean said he was excited about the prospect of filming in the Territory for the next three weeks with a hand-picked cast of such talented actors.

"Everyone we wanted in the film agreed," he said.

"It was much easier to get them to say yes having something to show them (Wolf Creek) rather than just being this crazy guy with a bunch of ideas and a script under my arm.

"A lot of people don't get to work with this calibre of actors once in their careers so I'm just enjoying it while I have the chance."

He said his inspiration for Rogue could be traced back to his childhood of enjoying the antics of eccentric Aussie adventurer Alby Mangels.

The NT Film Office lobbied to get the movie filmed in the Territory after McLean showed initial interest in the Kimberleys.

Rogue will be filmed on location at Yellow Waters and Red Lillee Lagoon in Kakadu National Park and around Katherine and Adelaide River before the cast and crew head to the studios in Melbourne to add the final touches.

http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/common/story...5E13569,00.html

I was just reading the paper today and there was an article that said michael vartan is in australia NOW to begin filming in NT which sucks coz i live in Sydney but their moving production down to Melbourne in 3 WEEKS yay.... :lol:

I just found this, not sure if anyone has posted it yet. How exciting for us Aussies! Shame it's in the Northern Territory - little chance of catching a glimpse for most of us, I suspect.

Vartan goes Rogue
Alias star Michael Vartan has touched down in Australia to star in Rogue, the new film from Wolf Creek director Greg McLean.

Last Friday, Vartan, who plays CIA spy Michael Vaughn in espionage drama Alias, arrived in the Northern Territory, where he'll spend the next three weeks shooting the film.

Comingsoon.net reports the TV heartthrob plays an American writer whose tour group encounters a man-eating crocodile in the Australian outback.

Joining Vartan in the film are Aussie actors including The Surgeon's Sam Worthingon, Melinda and Melinda star Radha Mitchell, and Wolf Creek villain John Jarratt.

Rogue is McLean's $20 million follow-up to Wolf Creek, the horror thriller being spruiked as the film that will revitalise the flagging Australian film industry.

Made for only $1.3 million, Wolf Creek was bought by Hollywood moguls Bob and Harvey Weinstein months before its release. It debuted at number one at the Australian box office last week.

I notice how they say that Vartan 'plays' Vaughn... rather than 'played'. Just a by-product of the fact that we're 50 years behind the US. Season 4 finale on tonight, though! Although my US contacts have been goot to me and I'm pretty much up to date with you guys... It's still fun to watch it 'normally'.

THANKS to Girasol for this :coolio: MV pic...

Date: 23/11/2005 Northern Territory News November 20, 2005: 'Rogue' filming at Katherine Gorge

mv112305.jpg

and some pics of :smiley: Rogue director, other cast and crew posted at Vartanfanmb/here

.....And what of the meat—er, human cast? Having already tangled with a big croc in the 1987 Aussie thriller DARK AGE, local actor John Jarratt (CREEK’s sadistic Mick Taylor) is back in front of the camera for McLean, who says that he had to do little convincing to also attract co-stars Michael (ALIAS) Vartan and Radha (SILENT HILL) Mitchell to a “giant crocodile movie”. After all, they would be following in the steps of fellow Hollywood thespians Bill Pullman and Bridget Fonda (LAKE PLACID) and, even farther back, Robert (ALLIGATOR) Forster. Not to mention that, according to McLean, “Vartan and Mitchell had seen WOLF CREEK and really loved the performances and the style of the film, even though it‘s ostensibly a slasher movie. I guess they just really loved the characters and what they go through. But yes, it’s kind of funny when you think about it. A ‘big croc movie’ just sounds weird, and we’ve had plenty of laughs about this.”

For Mitchell, ROGUE should be a cakewalk. She established herself as a rough-and-tumble heroine able to hold her own against both monsters and Vin Diesel in PITCH BLACK, and followed up by starring in another Australia-lensed genre item, the high-seas chiller VISITORS. “Radha is from Melbourne, so we kind of have that in common,” McLean says. “She’s an amazing actor, and will bring so much to this film and her role in particular. Vartan is so freaking cool. We spoke on the phone after he saw WOLF CREEK, and he was so excited about the performance style and the realism, and wanted to be part of something like that. He’s been adapting [the role] to his personality, and it’s really good as a writer when the actors take what you’ve started with and bring as much truth to it as possible. That’s where things start to get really exciting.”

Ol’ Mother Nature is adding her own particular thrill factor and contributing a bit of Method to the male lead’s performance. “Vartan is really scared of the Outback,” McLean says. “We were in the water shooting and the cameraman—who was up to his butt in water, as was Michael—got bitten by some large slithering thing, and we all freaked out. Especially when he screamed, ‘Snake!’ It turned out there was a family of huge eels who’d moved into the boat and would not leave us alone. So Vartan had to climb in there with a flashlight and imagine a huge croc out there somewhere. It wasn’t hard to be scared after that. There’s a lot to be frightened of out here—particularly real crocodiles, one of which followed our boat during a location scout. It was a total JAWS moment; I turned to my director of photography and said, ‘We’re gonna need a bigger boat.’ ”

He may also be hoping for a bigger gross, at least in the U.S., than greeted WOLF CREEK, which Dimension opened in the thick of a crowded Christmas season and has grossed a modest $16 million. CREEK received widely divided response from both fans and critics, but McLean—by now accustomed to this reaction due to the film’s lengthy festival career—says this was to be expected. And he views Dimension’s handling of his freshman effort, and its American reception, with high spirits. “I’m pretty happy with it,” he says, “as ultimately they took a film that cost us about $800,000 [U.S.] to produce and turned it into a film that’s grossed about 20 times that in the States so far. From anyone’s perspective, that’s gotta be pretty cool.”.....
Thanks to Vartanopia mb... complete 📖 here

and ROGUE Release Date: December 25, 2006... info :smiley: here

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! I So wish I lived in Australia, but I'm from the U. S. of A. But hey I could always get on an airplane and go down there. LOL That will be in my dreams only.

Back