Microsoft Gives Power To The People?!

Microsoft intends to offer the completed version of XNA Game Studio Express by the end of the year as a $99 a year subscription service. Subscribers will have access to the software package as well as a community of other junior-developers. Subscribers will be able to offer up their work for others to download, but only other subscribers will be able to play it.
Cash we say cash-cow? I thought so.

Reminds me of Sony's Net-Yaroze thing they tried a few years ago. And actually I think it did produce some solid titles, Devil Dice and Medieval come to mind.

It's entirely possible for some quality stuff to come out of this, plus, the 360 is realllllllllly huritng for something, ANYTHING, at this point. Oblivion can only sustain the population for so long.

Anduril said:
...plus, the 360 is realllllllllly huritng for something, ANYTHING, at this point. Oblivion can only sustain the population for so long.

Now thats interesting. So the 'ol 360 hit the console wall?

I don't own one as I preferred to invest in my PC 'cause it seemed to hold more diversity for me.

This makes me wonder. *If* its true that SWG was throttled back the way it has been in order to prep it for an offering on the up coming PS3, will the whole effort *and* the PS3 hit the same wall and be for naught?

Has the market been tapped? I mean these units last a long time and each (PS & X-box) had tons of titles already in existance and people are still playing them. Who'd invest in another unit when the one they have works just fine?

I think there will be some market share for sure but i'll bet they've both gone past the comfort zone this time 'round. Wouldn't matter what the title would be or what you could do with it - they may've tapped a generation already.

That's the thing, the companies keep talking about Next-Gen this and that, and how the new system is going to blow everything out of the water, but in reality for at least the first year or so, most systems seem to struggle as they build a library, they may get a couple of stellar titles, but with the runaway prices of consoles, most people have a hard time justifying the purchase price for one, maybe, two games. This is especially true for those wee gamers who have the unenviable task of convincing mom and dad that you've been good enough to earn a $600 video game system at Christmas.

Part of the problem stems from the fact that they're trying just way too hard.
Do you remember back in the day when a game console had one singular purpose? You know, to play games? Now they're trying to create entire multimedia systems in one unit. I'm all for innovation in technology, but if I wanted to play DVD's, I would use a DVD player, not my PS2.
btw, gg Sony for using the P$3 to try an cram Blu-Ray down everyones throat.

I agree Anduril. yeah, it's nice that I have an XBox that can now play all my media, and even unrar on the fly... but um... I don't really truly want a game system that can interface with all my computers, play all my games, play all my media, etc. I want a game system to play... get this... games.

I want a Multimedia Computer, or multimedia device that may take the place of playing all my media, cd's, dvd's, blu-ray, hd-dvd, and ... not play games.

I'll wait until they come out with a standard before I chose blu-ray or hd-dvd.

~ Jaraeth

Well, I'm getting an XBox 360 for a couple reasons, but the biggest one is Phantasy Star Universe. Phantasy Star Online ruled, and the XBox 360 version of PSU will have voice chat, so, yeah... It ranks right up there with Hero's Journey for me. Sure, there's less RP value, but, I mean, you could RP if you really wanted to... Anyway, yeah, I'll go crazy if I don't get it soon. Once I get it, though, I should be able to wait for Hero's Journey.

Back