MineCraft

Azhria Lilu

Captain
I mean, maybe it's just me, but I don't get it. The graphics are felgercarb, the gameplay is boring and not a little tedious but so many people I know (my kids included) are addicted to the thing.

What am I missing about this game that everyone else seems to see but I don't?

#minecraft

I am not sure, but if you find out... please... let me know. Cole can sit and play that game for hours. I had to buy it for his S3 and his iPod Touch. I cannot understand it. You take blocks, and build things. And....... is there something more?

I am not sure, but if you find out... please... let me know. Cole can sit and play that game for hours. I had to buy it for his S3 and his iPod Touch. I cannot understand it. You take blocks, and build things. And....... is there something more?
Exactly.. I had to buy it on my nexus and iPhone, and then download it to the other android tablet the kids use.. and my oldest girl has it on her s3 mini as well and they'll all sit glued for hours (when they're not arguing with each other over one wrecking someone else's building or something). It got to the point where they were all so obsessive over the game, I had to ban them all from it for a month just for a bit of peace!

See, you have multiple. I just have Cole. Although Ape's daughter likes to play as well, so one every couple of weeks they will end up playing together and it gets a bit out of hand.

Having been a part of the Minecraft community since the early Alpha days I'll try to answer your questions. Now, granted I haven't been actively playing since then, and currently haven't been playing at all.

There are different types of Minecraft. There's Vanilla MC (Un-Modded) and the different Mods. In Vanilla MC you have the standard blocks entered into the game. You got a open world where you can build houses, cities, communities overall etc.. You can go on "adventures" mining for minerals. Fighting zombies.. Fighting friends etc...

When it comes to the modding there's so many things to choose from. There are mods that give you SO many more options. You can build automated systems. E.g power generation (water-plant, solar power etc). You can build an automatic farming system with the use of different types of electricity and machines that you build. Let's explain one very easy system.

Based on time (ticks, as they're known in MC) you can have a certain machine do a certain thing. Such as auto-harvesting your crops.. Your crops then float into a new system that feeds them through different pipes (tubes) into a chest. From this chest the wheat is then sent through to a new system where the wheat is turned into bread. As a final stage the bread is then sent to your storage room where you want them.

You can also make systems where you go to a machine and choose WHAT you want to get from the "storage" and the system then picks it up for you and brings it to you. Instead of having to go through all your chests, trying to find the items you were looking for etc etc...

Above all you can build the most amazing buildings etc...

---------

For me it's playing with friends. Playing the mods that allow you to do so much more. Using logic circuiting to create systems. Using the ComputerCRAFT mod to create programs inside this game. (using real programming by the way) etc etc... I do find Vanilla MC utterly boring though.

So.... you're playing lego and FarmVille with graphics that went out with the early 90s.... yeah.. still not seeing the appeal
There are mods for that as well. Also Minecraft came before Farmville. I was simply demonstrating the feature of building automated systems ;P Farming isn't the entire thing.

By the way I'm not saying it's the best game ever (Because that's clearly Assassin's Creed) but it's certainly a game that can have you kill quite a few hours when playing with friends..

I love AoE. felgercarb, I played it last weekend. Cole wanted to start learning how to play it. Favorite PC game of all time.

It truly is an amazing game (AoE). No doubt about that. But I think if you gave Minecraft a chance you'd find it at least a relaxing way to kill a few hours. Like I said, I personally like playing with friends and just doing really cool things like building a system that uses water to generate power and then creating a power grid that I've connected to a city. Enabling the players to utilize different machines and they can even connect fully operating alarms etc..

Not using the proper sequence when trying to open the door for example will make the thing go wild, as well as drop the person through a trap door. And then gets teleported to jail etc.. But I agree that there's no real goal. Which is why I often play it in intervals. Play some, then put it on the shelf for a few months before picking it up again.

I mean, maybe it's just me, but I don't get it. The graphics are felgercarb, the gameplay is boring and not a little tedious but so many people I know (my kids included) are addicted to the thing.

What am I missing about this game that everyone else seems to see but I don't?

#minecraft

It's legos on the computer, do you need more of an explanation than that? :P

There's something to be said for 90s graphics. And actually, the graphics aren't bad at all. Nothing is blurry and if your computer can perform, the movements are very smooth. What you're seeing is an intentional use of block-style graphics, and that is what I used to enjoy when I played it. Unfortunately now it has become full of non-cubical items, so I don't play much.

I really did think like you before I bought it a few years ago. I asked all my friends that played it, "What's the point? You just sit there and build felgercarb with ugly blocks!"

But then I bought it, and couldn't get enough. Now I dislike it again. It's boring to me and again, all you do is just sit there and build felgercarb with ugly blocks.

Fans of the block building game Minecraft are having mixed reactions after learning that Microsoft has bought Mojang, the company behind the game. The Swedish game company was purchased for $2.5 billion USD :eek: following a few weeks of speculation.

As usual following these types of announcements, everybody at both Microsoft and Mojang are publicly saying that for now there are now plans to change the Minecraft eco-system. Of course that doesn't mean changes can't come later. It would be upsetting to fans and a boost to Microsoft if they decide to limit future revisions to their X-Box One console blocking out rival Sony's Playstation 4.

If nothing else I bet that a version will be released for Windows phone, one of the few platforms where Minecraft is currently not available. :coffee:

minecraft-logo.png

Back