Missing Part

I'm trying to track down a short SF story I saw long ago. I think it was in Asimov's or Analog. It was an oddly awkward-sounding story. What did its author call it? "Missing Part"? Or "A Part is Missing"? It was so many moons ago, I don't know now. Mayhaps "A part is missing" is just how its first paragraph starts. Do any of you know of it? I found it a bit chilling, on account of its narrator was painfully trying oh so hard to warn us about an unknown, out-world horror. A horror with a subtly frightful plan against humanity, that starts with it uncannily taking a vital thing away from us -- from our minds -- without any of us knowing. Inducing in us first this awkward way of communicating. But this unknown monstrosity might just attack our minds again -- and probably will, mighty soon -- a truly awful thought. But with luck you might suss out, with a shock, that what this horror took from us was a symbol. A symbol that no word in this story contains, not a word from start to finish. In fact, my oddly awkward-sounding post I am writing right now is also lacking this symbol. And that symbol, that part that is missing, both in that story, and in this post up to now, is ...

the letter e.

What say you? Can any of you point out this story's location in www land?
:smiley:

Last edited:
I don't remember the story but, dang it, I didn't find myself rereading your post a few times looking for the letter E. :P

Back