Missing Twenty

this is my first fic...so please tell me what you think.

Missing Twenty

1 week after Laura's funeral

He opened his eyes startled, what had woken him up? He listened to the silence finally he heard it again. It was Sydney. He got up quickly, threw on his robe, and proceeded down the hall to Sydney’s room.

As he opened the door he again heard the sound that had woken him up. “MOM!!!” escaped from a sleeping six-year old Sydney. He turned on the light and sat down on Sydney’s bed. He reached up and gently stroked his daughter’s hair until she opened her eyes. She had been crying, he told her she was having a bad dream and tried to think of what else he should do. This had happened before but Laura had always been the one to calm her down and get her back to sleep. Not thinking of anything useful to say he simply gave her a comforting smile and said, “Try to get back to sleep; I’ll stay here until you do.” This seemed to satisfy young Sydney and she settled back under the covers and was soon sound asleep.

He stayed there, in Sydney’s room watching her sleep, listening to her steady breathing and thought of Laura. He remembered her fondly, and thought about how they had met. He thought of when he had proposed, their wedding day, and the day she had told him that she was pregnant. He looked down at Sydney and smiled at how much she looked like Laura. Of course this was before he knew the truth. Before he found out that Laura was really Irina Derevko, a KGB agent sent to the United Stated to marry and steal secrets from a CIA officer. Before he was taken away from his daughter and spent six months in solitary while they investigated if he knew anything about Laura.

more to come tell me if you like...thanks

I like seeing Jack as a caring father. Don't know where you are going to take this, but it should be interesting.

1 Year after Irina left

Jack stared at the man sitting across from him. His name was Jean Riley and he was a recently acquired CIA asset with useful information on a weapons smuggling organization based here in Paris. Jack had been working in conjunction with Riley and the CIA to raid the Paris storage facility. The raid was scheduled for tonight at midnight. Jack was to be part of the op but first he was to meet with Riley to acquire the access codes for that night. At 12 Jack and the rest of his team entered the facility and quickly gained control. The mission was a success with only several minor injuries to his team. Jack was exhausted and thought of the bed that was waiting for him back in the hotel. He arrived at 4:30 in the morning and expected to have a relaxing day before catching a flight back home at 9pm. When the reached his room he lazily pulled his key from his pocket and unlocked the door. As he shut the door behind him with one hand he reached for the light switch with the other. As the light flooded the room he noticed her, sitting calmly on the bed looking directly at him. He was shocked, he actually had thought that she had died that night and in the midst of all the other emotions he was feeling at that moment, he was happy she was alive. He regained hi composure immediately and simply gave her his cold stare. As she saw his expression change her eyes dropped and she stared at the floor. After some moments she asked without lifting her head, “How is Sydney?” Jack didn’t answer, how could she possible just stand there and ask about the daughter whom she had abandoned one year ago. After a few seconds of silence Irina’s eyes left the floor and rested on Jack’s towering figure. He was just like she remembered except for his face. His eyes were sunken and his face cold and hard. “I made him this way,” she thought as her eyes moved back to the floor to hide from his stare. “What do you want?” his sudden words had startled her and she glanced up at him. “I saw you yesterday, at the café downstairs with Riley…” her voice trailed off as she again dared to look him in the eye. “I wanted to see you maybe…talk.” She continued. In the same hard cold words as before he said, “I have nothing to say to you.” Her eyes, which had moved back to the floor widened slightly as she gathered her courage and said, “Well I have something to say to you.” At these words, she stood up and looked him squarely in the face, letting him see the emotion in her eyes. “I wanted to say that I didn’t want to leave, I had to, not just for my sake but for yours and for Sydney’s…they would have killed you if I had tried to stay.” Jack’s stare never left her face, it took everything he had to keep his eyes trained on the women he once loved, but now hated for all that she had done to his little girl…and him. Seeing his lack of reaction she decided she should leave, “The man you were with, Riley, he doesn’t work for who you think, he was placed inside that organization with the sole purpose of getting the CIA to get rid of his employer’s competition.” With that she started heading towards the door, as she passed him she paused. She suddenly grabbed his arm and pulled him down, kissed his cheek and whispered “I’m sorry…for everything…love you.” When he heard the foor close behind him he nearly collapsed. Why did she come here, why give him information of Riley, why make is life even more complicated.

tell me what you think...more tomorrow!

I think wow!!

I think humm... what's gonna happen next.

I think poor Syd- poor jack- even poor Ireana

I think this is a story I want to keep reading.

I think I want a PM

4 months later; 1 year and four months after she left.

“Sydney, don’t go too far!” Jack yelled out at his daughter who had been slowly inching her way farther and farther away from the park bench he was sitting on. It was a warm Saturday afternoon and after getting a late breakfast Jack had decided to take Sydney to the park. She hadn’t really wanted to go but after some convincing from Jack and a promise of ice cream later she had agreed. Jack had been worried about Sydney for awhile. She seemed to be fine, she was doing good in school and she even seemed to be interacting with the other kids like she used too, but what Jack was concerned about was their relationship. Before, with Laura, Sydney had always wanted to play with Jack, go with him everywhere. He had always spoiled his daughter and gave her as much attention as he could although work often got in the way. The six months he had been gone had changed everything. He no longer smiled much and he was always drinking. That first week back Sydney was excited about her father’s return and wanted to do thinks with him, but she soon noticed that he wasn’t the same. Jack hadn’t noticed Sydney’s change in behavior towards him for several weeks and when he finally did, he couldn’t get her to come back to him. He would ask if she wanted to go here or there and she would always answer no. “Can we go home now?” Sydney interrupted his thoughts. “Sure sweetheart,” Jack replied in a disappointed voice. As he entered the house with Sydney close behind he heard the phone ringing. He walked into the kitchen and picked up the phone just in time to hear Sydney say, “Hello,” she had run to his study and picked up the phone there. Hey covered the mouth piece and yelled, “Sydney, sweetheart I have it, go wash up.” Jack heard the click as she hung up the phone then he said, “Sorry about that, hello?” The caller, who had not said anything up to this point relied, “How are you?” Jack’s blood ran cold; he recognized his wife’s voice. “What do you want?” Jack asked.

Irina had been debating for weeks if she should call, she had finally decided to do it, she wanted to know about Sydney and to see how Jack was doing. As she had been dialing her heart pounded, she paused before she entered the last number and calmed herself and slowed her breathing. The phone was ringing, and finally she heard a phone being picked up and nearly broke down when she heard Sydney say, “Hello?” She hadn’t expected her daughter to pick up and at the sound of her voice her heart again began to pound. Then she had heard Jack and she waited to hear the click which meant it was safe for her to speak.
“How are you?”
“What do you want?”
“I wanted to talk.”
“I told you before; I have nothing to say to you.”
“…was my intel correct about Riley?”
Jack hesitated, it had been correct, after she had left his hotel room that night he had called the CIA and told them Riley was working for someone else, leaving out where he got his intel. The CIA tracked Riley and one week later the CIA had brought down a second weapons smuggling operation.
“Yes,” Jack replied.
“Glad I could help.”
Jack was silent
“Jack…just tell me how she’s doing.”
“She’s fine.” was his reply.
“How is she doing in school?”
“Good”
“Does she like her teacher?”
“Yes…she says she is really nice.”
“Dad, do we have any ice cream?” Sydney interrupted.
“You already had one at the park,” Jack relied
“Yeah but it was only a small one.”
“Have you cleaned your room?” Jack asked
“I cleaned it last week”
“Yes and I saw it dirty yesterday…clean it again today and then you can have another ice cream.”
Sydney quickly ran to her room and Jack could hear his daughter moving things here and there, “And do a good job…I want nothing under the bed.” he yelled from the kitchen.
Irina listened to the conversation eagerly; she hadn’t heard her little girl speak in almost a year and a half, except of the “hello” earlier.
“You still there?” Jack was again addressing Irina.
“Glad to hear your keeping the house up” was Irina’s response
“Trying too,” Jack said, starting to smile, then he realized who he was talking to and the smile left.
“How are you doing?” Irina asked after a brief moment.
“How do you think I’m doing?”
Irina was silent
“I better go” Jack said feeling uncomfortable at the pause.
“Ok, if you have any trips to Europe anytime soon maybe we could…”
Jack cut her off, “I don’t.”
“Ok…bye Jack.”
“Bye”
“Love you”
As Jack laid down the handset Sydney walked in.
“What’s wrong Daddy?”
“Nothing, sweetheart, how about some ice cream?”

WOW! I really loved these chapters ^_^ and Irina trying to contact Jack to see how he is doing and how Sydney is doing is really cool
Can I please have a PM when you post more?
Thanks

sorry it took me so long to update...hope to have the next one up tomorrow night...but we'll see. if you want a pm just ask.

2 months later; 1 year and 6 months after she left.

“Sydney, Katie’s mom is here!”
“Is Katie here too?”
Jack opened the door for a middle aged women and her daughter.
Sydney ran up behind Jack and said, “Katie come here real quick.”
With that the two girls ran off down the hallway.
Jack turned back to Katie’s mother, Alice Ann. He smiled and invited her in, “I hope Sydney won’t be too much trouble tonight.” Jack said trying to fill up time until the girls returned.
“Katie has been looking forward to Sydney coming to sleepover this whole week…I even got her to clean her room.” Alice Ann said with a laugh. Just then the phone rang.
“Excuse me,” Jack said as he picked up the phone.
“Oh, you go ahead, looks like I’m not going anywhere.” Alice Ann said pointing to the two girls running up the stairs.
He smiled then said, “Hello?” into the phone.
Irina held the phone hard against her ear…was that a women’s voice she heard in the background? What had she said, “You go ahead, I’m not going anywhere?” Who was at her house, with her husband, on a Friday night. Where was Sydney? Then she heard his voice “make yourself at home.”
“Hello?” Jack asked.
“You’re busy…I’ll call back later.” was Irina’s response.
“No…” Jack turned and looked at Alice Ann, “Well…can you call back in 2 hours?”
“Sure”
“ok…bye”
“bye”
Irina slowly put down the receiver, “who was he with?” she thought?

Twenty minutes after that call Jack gave Sydney a hug and helped her take her sleeping bag to Alice Ann’s car. He told her to behave and watched as they drove away. Upon entering the house he looked at the phone. She had heard him talking to someone, had she heard Alice Ann’s voice, did she think he was having dinner with a women? Almost 30 minutes passed, he had told her to call back in 2 hours, why did he say 2 hours? He sat down at the kitchen table with several files in front of him that he had brought from work. He tried to concentrate, but he found himself looking up at the phone every 5 minutes. After an hour had passed, Jack’s thoughts suddenly changed. Why do I care when she calls or if she ever calls again, this women lied to and abandoned her family, destroyed both his and Sydney’s lives. Why does she keep calling? Does she really feel bad about how things turned out or is she just trying to make me believe that she does? If she is trying to deceive me again, what is it she is after? Question after question filed through his mind. This has got to stop, when she calls back he is just going to ask her. By her response or lack of a response he should be able to gain insight into her motivations. Having decided on his course of action, he got back to work.

Irina walked around her hotel room nervously, it had been exactly 2 hours but as much as she wanted to pick up the phone, she resisted. “I’ll call in 17 minutes so it won’t look like I have just been waiting around for two hours,” she thought.

Jack looked at his watch it was ten minutes past, what was she doing? Jack looked down at his work, when he looked up again it was 15 past. “She wanted me to feel like this, she wanted me to have to wait for her to call, to wonder why she is late. To think she had forgotten.”

The phone rang, Jack got up and slowly walked over to the phone. He let it ring twice more before picking it up. She wasn’t the only one who could play games.

“Hello?” Jack said trying to sound like he didn’t know who was calling.
“Hi” Irina said, rather disappointed with his tone of voice.
“I’m sorry if I interrupted something earlier.”
“You didn’t really,” was Jack answer.
“How are you and Sydney doing?”
“Why do you keep calling?” Jack’s straight forward question surprised her.
“I miss you two.” Jack had asked her a straight forward question, she was going to give him a straight forward answer, she owed him that.
Both were quiet. Jack had expected a answer similar to that but the way she said it made him believe her.
“I can’t do this” Jack’s voice broke the silence.
“do what?”
“I can’t let you do this to me and Sydney.”
“I’m not trying to do anything to you.”
“Well whatever your intentions are, I still can’t do this.”
“I want you to stop calling.”
“Jack…”
“Sydney needs to be my number one concern, not you and why you are calling and I cannot do that unless you are out of the picture.”
“Jack you know I would never do anything to…”
“…to hurt us…to hurt me…to hurt Sydney….it’s too late…you’ve done it, you already hurt us. The best thing for you to do for all of us is to leave us alone. We need to move on, and so do you.”
“If that’s what you really want from me” Irina said slowly trying to make sure her voice didn’t give away her anguish.
“It is.”
After a long pause, Irina said, “ok…(long deep breath)…bye”

As Irina hung up the phone, she sat down on the bed staring blankly at the floor in front of her. That wasn’t at all how she had expected the conversation to go. She had hoped Jack had softened up a little more, enough to have a real conversation about anything. She realized that she would probably never talk directly to him ever again, and tears began to form in her eyes. Her cell phone rang, she got up slowly picked it up, looked at the caller ID, it was Khasinau, “Hello…”

Back