Season 3 Missing you

V

verdantheart

In “Succession” (3:02), Jack receives his welcome back from prison from several quarters.

Bob Lindsey gives him a bare and ironic “Welcome back” as he passes by. In this case, Jack’s very presence in the open probably served as a goad to Lindsey--was this why he was so anxious to embarrass the CIA?

Sloane, Jack’s old friend, says, “I’ve missed you.” And I do believe that’s a genuine sentiment, whatever his plans for his friend-cum-adversary. For who else does Sloane really have? Who else has he shared his feelings with? When they were at SD-6, Sloane held back a lot, but he shared at least some of his plans with Jack. Jack was aware of his obsessions and the outlines of his plots, if not their complete details. Jack is the only person who comes close to being a real friend to Arvin Sloane--which, when you think about it, is a pretty scary thought.

In an eerie echo, Irina’s AIM message says, “Miss you.” We are not even able to attempt to read her face for this long-distance sentiment as we are allowed to for Jack’s response, “MISS YOU, TOO.” Is this a ploy? A simple sentiment? Both? As always with Irina, it is impossible to tell for sure. Yet, with Irina, both is a good bet. She never seems to do anything without an agenda, yet she does seem to genuinely feel for Sydney and Jack.

Finally, Vaughn’s return brought an awkward moment with Vaughn’s attempt at a pretense of normalcy. But Jack doesn’t believe in pretense and lets that moment pass as he goes on with the business at hand. No doubt Mr Bristow has something to say to Mr Vaughn, but that moment certainly wasn’t the time, the company wasn’t appropriate, and the middle of the CIA office wasn’t the place.

It’s interesting that Dixon has now taken a position of authority over Jack, who was once his senior officer. I wonder if Dixon is going to find that this causes some problems? It’s not as though Mr Bristow hasn’t caused his former supervisors some severe migraines . . .

Jack approaches both Sloane and Irina in this episode, in completely different ways. However, is his attitude toward them also completely different? That is, does he completely distrust Sloane and trust Irina? I suspect that he distrusts both. Yet his approach is logical. Sloane must expect an approach of distrust, so that is what he gets. Jack isn’t going to get anything out of Sloane if he is not being honest anyway--and he is currently in a public location. Jack might as well challenge him to prove himself. On the other hand, Jack has established a certain level of trust with Irina already. If she has proven an untrustworthy source, Jack isn’t buying himself anything by challenging her. He can learn more by continuing. However, if he has doubts about Irina (and how can he not have at least a few?), he didn’t share them with Sydney. Is he trying to protect her from the idea that her own mother might try to turn her into an assassin--at least until he knows for sure?

For more about Jack, his feelings surrounding Irina, and his apparent opening up to Sydney as a father, see the Family column (expanded with more about Jack/Sydney as of this posting).

Random thoughts . . .

If Sark finds out will he want to kill Jack in even trade?

The musical theme to Jack & Irina's AIM conversation (Mozart/distinguished composer/music lover/Handel): I wonder if this harks back to some shared activity or theme from their marriage? In other words, is this a personal or impersonal reference?

Others have responded to Sloane’s remark “Really” when Jack claimed that “Every morally questionable thing I’ve ever done has been to protect Sydney” that it had to do with the general Sloane/Sydney creepiness. However, I thought he might be questioning Jack’s honor--perhaps not every morally questionable thing he’s done was for Sydney . . . ?

I’d really like to see Sydney seek out Jack’s companionship outside of work. Y’know, like a real daughter & father . . .

Discuss:

What do you think of the similarity between Sloane’s and Irina’s welcomes to Jack (“I’ve missed you”/“Miss you”)?

Do you think that Sloane honestly misses Jack's companionship and friendship? Or do you think he just wants to use Jack?

Do you think Jack’s looking forward to having a private word with Vaughn? Or does he just want to ignore him altogether unless he has to deal with him operationally?

Next:
Jack has to maneuver around Marshall?

What do you think of the similarity between Sloane’s and Irina’s welcomes to Jack (“I’ve missed you”/“Miss you”)?

I have to admit that I didn't even notice this, yet now that you pointed out, it makes sense. They're two of the people Jack has been closest to and they both betrayed him. Now it seems that they both want his trust back. Irina seems to have succeeded in this, to some extent. It'll be interesting to see if Jack ever trusts Sloane again.

Do you think that Sloane honestly misses Jack's companionship and friendship? Or do you think he just wants to use Jack?

I think it's a little of both. Sloane really does seem to regret the loss of Jack's friendship, but I don't think he'd be above using Jack if it proved necessary.

Do you think Jack’s looking forward to having a private word with Vaughn? Or does he just want to ignore him altogether unless he has to deal with him operationally?

I think Jack's just going to ignore Vaughn unless it's absolutely necessary to acknowledge him-- in which case, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a few choice words for Vaughn.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jack chooses to ignore Vaughn, in a "I have so little respect for you that I'm not going to lower myself to speak to you, even to chew you out" kind of way. ;) But I kind of hope he does eventually have a little talk with Vaughn, because I'm sure Jack has a lot to say, and I'm sure it would be very entertaining. :cool:

The musical theme to Jack & Irina's AIM conversation (Mozart/distinguished composer/music lover/Handel): I wonder if this harks back to some shared activity or theme from their marriage? In other words, is this a personal or impersonal reference?

I wondered about this, too...I hope we get to find out.

Now for the Dad part...

Interesting. Neither of them asked where he'd been? :confused: And he didn't tell them.

Some of both! He especially needs Jack to finish the Rambaldi prediction and let's be honest, that's not going away or else we hang JJ up by his thumbs. :angry:

Why would he want a private word with him? Oh yeah, to warn him not to get involved with Sydney. "You are married and I will kill you if you tamper with my daughter's emotions!" (or something like that).
He will also continue to ignore him etc..... However, things will happen, I'm sure, to bring Sydney and Vaughn back together again. Arrrrgghhh! I was hoping Will would be around.

:cool:

lenafan said:
Interesting. Neither of them asked where he'd been?
Sloane didn't need to ask because he knew exactly where Jack was. Remember, he mentioned it to Sydney in the first episode of the season. It's not revealed whether Irina knew, but with her connections, I'd be kinda surprised if she didn't know . . .
;)

verdantheart Posted on Oct 10 2003, 10:26 AM
QUOTE (lenafan @ Oct 10 2003, 09:40 AM)
Interesting. Neither of them asked where he'd been?

Sloane didn't need to ask because he knew exactly where Jack was. Remember, he mentioned it to Sydney in the first episode of the season. It's not revealed whether Irina knew, but with her connections, I'd be kinda surprised if she didn't know . . .

Dang, I forgot that. I write too much fic and read too much.
Still regarding Irina...where has she been? :confused: Is she in hiding from the Covenant or is she a part of it. Yes, possible she knew...and then again, maybe not. :blink:
:cool:
P.S. How's that story you're writing coming along?

lenafan said:
P.S. How's that story you're writing coming along?
Unfortunately, I'm getting kind of swamped between work and keeping up with Alias and the new TV season (yeah, watching TV is so darned important . . . well, I like Carnivale . . .). But I'm going to try to do better . . . what I'm working on now is "only" a short story after all.
;)

I made a billion comments on your other column, so I'll leave this one. But another brilliant column VH, can't wait til next week!!!

Back