Missionary Church of Kopimism

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
While watching Jeopardy I was caught off-guard by one of the answers in a category dealing with alternate religious orders. Of course "Jedi" came up which made me smile because on occasion I have a bit of fun as listing that as my preferred belief. They also included the Flying Spaghetti Monster of Pastafarians as an answer. I would have loved to have seen how middle America viewers reacted to that one! :blush: That is not what caught my attention though; what did catch my attention was what religious order believes "Ctrl-C" & "Ctrl-V" to be sacred symbols.

Say what now? :cautious:

A quick Google search turns up the Missionary Church of Kopimism that is dedicated to the belief that copying computer information is sacred. The natural extension of that of course is the keyboard combination for "Copy & Paste", Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Now lest you think I am making this up, here is the link to the Wikipedia entry for it. Missionary Church of Kopimism - Wikipedia

Wikipedia said:
The Missionary Church of Kopimism (in Swedish Missionerande Kopimistsamfundet), founded by 19-year-old philosophy student Isak Gerson, is a congregation of file sharers who believe that copying information is a sacred virtue. The Church, based in Sweden, has been officially recognized by the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency ("kammarkollegiet") as a religious community, after three application attempts and within the United States of America
Well, now, that is... interesting. :coffee:

Back