Moments Like These

SkyGirl5

Cadet
ok this is a sequel to the other "season 5" one parter i wrote, "Living for the Moments"..... you know me... can't let stuff go..... just storta took some what if's and ran with them

so basically to refresh ur memory.......... syd ran into vaughn while he was off hiding somewhere... he touched the belly :love: and then she left

and now we have this:

Moments Like These

Sydney slipped into the train station among a large group of people, trying to stay inconspicuous. She knew it was dangerous, but there was only so much of staying inside APO that one could take. Around her 38th week of pregnancy, it was discovered that people were indeed after her and her child by way of an almost kidnapping. It was then quite obvious that these people, whoever they were (they still weren’t sure) would stop at nothing to satisfy their endgame.

After that incident, Sydney’s father put his foot down. It wasn’t safe for her to stay alone. It wasn’t even safe for her to stay with him (not that she would have wanted to). She needed to be under constant protection. However, for Sydney Bristow, the witness protection program was never an option, especially not with Vaughn gone and psychos after her baby. So, arrangements were made for her to stay at APO. The facility was amazingly large, including a hospital wing and a small apartment. That’s where Sydney was assigned to stay. Yes, she hated it, but she viewed it as a trade off. Either stay there and be involved or not be involved at all. She had to be involved.

Barely two days after she had moved in, her contractions began and almost twenty agonizing hours later, she had her Jordan. The moment she held him she knew she could never, ever let him go or let him be harmed by anyone. She loved him too much. So, working with her father and the rest of the APO crew, she kept searching, even though they told her to stop. But she wouldn’t. She’d feed Jordan, put him down for a nap and take the baby monitor to her desk. Some days were harder than others, knowing that Jordan’s father was missing so much, but Jordan was loved. He had Jack and his surrogate uncles Dixon and Marshall, who were always willing to help Sydney out when she became too frustrated or too exhausted. Still, there was only so much of staying underground in an overly white building that one could take. She had to get out, much to her father’s dismay. She kept out of sight as much as possible, but she needed the fresh air to breathe.

She slipped down a back set of stairs and crossed the platform, over to the stairs leading down to the tracks. She then swiped her keycard and began unlatching all the safety protocols for entrance into APO. The doors finally opened and she slipped inside to find Dixon waiting for her. “Hey… is Jordan okay?” she asked him since she he had volunteered to watch him while she went for a walk.

“Yes, he was still sleeping last I checked. “I gave Marshall the monitor because there’s something I need to show you,” he said in a serious tone.

“What?” she asked cautiously.

“Come with me,” he said as he turned and walked away. Feeling nervous, Sydney followed him all the way to the medical wing where Dixon paused in front of closed door. “They brought him in just after you left,” Dixon told her.

“Who?” she asked, now even more confused and nervous.

Dixon opened the door and she saw him, his back to her, buttoning up the blue shirt he was wearing. “Vaughn,” she breathed. He turned and smiled at her. In a millisecond she was in the room with her arms locked around him, never wanting to let go. “How are you…what…?” she managed.

He kissed the side of her head and whispered. “Long story but you…. You’re not pregnant…,” he said with total confusion as his hands ran across the place where the bump was the last time he had seen her.

She lifted her head off his shoulder and smiled. “Your son was born six weeks ago.”

“Jordan?” Michael asked with a grin. Sydney nodded, then looked back over her shoulder and spotted Dixon standing in the doorway with a grin. “Could you…..”

“I’ll be right back,” Dixon smiled.

Sydney turned back to Vaughn and buried her face in his neck. “Promise me you’re staying.”

“I’m not going anywhere,” he told her. She lifted her head once more and brought her lips to his, kissing him with everything she had been missing for three months. She broke their kiss quickly though, hearing footsteps in the hall, signaling Dixon’s return. She smiled and dropped her arms from his neck before walking over to the door.

“He just woke up,” Dixon told her.

“Hi baby, did you have a nice nap?” Sydney cooed. Jordan simply blinked up at her as he was transferred into her arms. “Come on buddy, there’s someone you have to meet,” she said before turning.

The instant Vaughn saw his son, tears filled his eyes. He tried to take a step forward but he was too weak from shock and awe upon seeing the bundle in Sydney’s arms. “Jordan look, it’s your Daddy.” Sydney smiled.

“Hi… hi Jordan,” Vaughn said quietly as he reached out and touched one of Jordan’s tiny hands. Jordan immediately closed his fingers around Vaughn’s forefinger, latching on tightly. Vaughn was at a loss for words and Sydney knew it too. “Here,” she said, trying to transfer their son to his father’s arms.

“No, I can’t… I don’t know how. I’ll break him.” Vaughn gulped nervously.

Sydney laughed softly. “You won’t break him. Hold your arms like mine… ok, there, support his head. There.” Sydney sighed once she had transferred him. Vaughn looked ridiculously uncomfortable, trying to cradle the baby and not drop him. Sydney couldn’t help but laugh. “Relax a little bit, Vaughn.”

Vaughn loosened his arms a bit and pulled Jordan closer to him. Jordan snuggled close to his body and yawned. “Oh my god, did you see that? That was the most adorable yawn I’ve ever seen… Syd, he’s perfect.”

“I know,” she smiled as she put one of her arms around his back and her other arm around her son. Then, she buried her face in Vaughn’s shoulder. “I never thought we’d have this; the three of us,” she said tearfully.

“I know,” Vaughn sighed into her hair. “I know.” For another few moments, Vaughn just looked down at his son, totally amazed. “I just… this is so wow… how could we have created this.” He shook his head, laughing softly.

“I know, its amazing.” Sydney smiled.

“I just love him so much.” Vaughn sniffed back a tear.

“I know, me too. And I love you.”

“I love you too, Syd …. Wait a second… why was he here?” Vaughn asked.

“Didn’t they tell you? We live here. Jordan and I live at APO… it’s not safe to go home,” Sydney told him.

“What? Why?”

“They tried to kidnap me, Vaughn. I just can’t let anything happen to him.” Sydney sighed. Vaughn nodded in understanding. “Vaughn... how... how are you here?” Sydney asked cautiously.

“Well, I was following through with one of my regular contacts with your father and he told me to come in because there was no way that his grandson was growing up without a father,” Vaughn said.

Sydney’s eyes filed with tears. “He really said that?”

“Yeah, he did. He managed it without any underlying threats either. I was shocked,” Vaughn laughed.

“So... he just brought you in?” Sydney asked.

“Very covertly, yes. Only Dixon and Marshall know I'm here, by the way – where the hell is Eric?!”

“Eric took a job in DC... he’s been gone for months. He’s coming next week though, to see Jordan. I guess he’ll get a big surprise.” Sydney laughed.

“I guess he will.” Vaughn smiled before looking down at Jordan in his arms. Vaughn then began to trace his free hand all over Jordan, rubbing his pudgy cheeks and closely examining all his little fingers. Sydney watched him with a ridiculous grin, indescribably happy that her family was finally complete.

After a few minutes, Jordan began to fuss and Vaughn looked panicked. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Sydney laughed softly. “He’s just hungry.”

“Oh... but I don’t want to let him go,” Vaughn said sadly.

Sydney laughed. “Well, unless you’re going to breastfeed him...”

“That could be difficult.”

“Maybe,” she laughed. “Come on,” she gently locked her arm through his and began to walk, but Vaughn didn’t move. “What?”

“I don’t know if I can walk and hold him,” he said timidly.

“You can disarm bombs and handle various weapons but you can’t walk, Vaughn?” she smiled. Vaughn blushed slightly and then began to walk forward, but much slower and more gently than normal. Sydney walked with Vaughn down the empty hallway to another plain white door. She put her palm flat against the biometric scanner and the door unlocked. “By the way, his palm works too,” she pointed to Jordan.

“Wow, we’re already phasing him into the spy biz.” Vaughn laughed.

“Great.” Sydney rolled her eyes.

“This is... nice,” Vaughn commented as he looked around Sydney’s apartment and saw that it was one giant room with a bed in the center, a crib and changing table off to one side and then a kitchen along the furthest wall.

“Yeah, I guess,” she shrugged as she sat down on the bed. “I’d still rather be in my house but... for the circumstance, it works. Bring him here please,” Sydney told Vaughn with a smile.

“Oh, right, sorry,” he laughed softly. Then, he knelt down cautiously and reluctantly gave Jordan to her. He stood awkwardly by as Sydney began to nurse, not sure what to do with himself.

“You can sit,” she said softly.

“Oh... okay... sorry,” he said, slightly embarrassed as he sat beside her. “I’m not really sure what to...”

“I know, but you’ll learn.” She smiled at him reassuringly.

After Jordan was finished, Sydney gave him back to Vaughn, who was beside himself wanting to hold his son once more. “He’s just... SO GREAT!” Vaughn exclaimed. Sydney laughed softly. “No seriously, he is. We need to have more. Seriously, I want A TON if they’re all going to be as perfect as this one.”

Sydney couldn’t help but laugh. “Well first, you haven’t changed a diaper or heard him scream yet, so be careful what you wish for and second, a ton?! Vaughn I don’t know if you realize, but this one hurt!”

“Oh... right,” he sighed. “Can we at least have one more?”

“Sure.” Sydney smiled. “One or two.”

“Or five... kidding,” he added at the unamused look on her face. She rolled her eyes. Vaughn just grinned before returning his attention to the baby he was cradling and rocking gently.

Sydney sighed and rested her head on his shoulder. “I’m so glad you’re here.”

“Me too... hey look, I think he’s falling asleep,” Vaughn said very quietly.

“Yeah,” Sydney whispered. “He is. I love to watch him sleep. It’s the most peaceful thing in the world.”

“Yeah...,” Vaughn sighed, knowing he could watch Jordan sleep forever and never go tired of it.

“Come on, we’ll wrap him up and put him in his crib,” Sydney said as she got off the bed and walked over to Jordan’s changing table. Vaughn followed, awaiting further instruction. “Put him down.” She instructed. Once Jordan was down on the table, Sydney began unsnapping his onesy and gesturing towards the bag of diapers off to the side. Michael held one out to her. “Oh no, you’re doing it.”

“Me?! You’re throwing a newbie in the field without back up?!” he gasped.

Sydney laughed. “I’m your backup. I’m going to coach you. Undo the tape on the old one,” she instructed.

Vaughn grumbled and examined it for a second. “Jeez, it's like glued... ok, got it.”

“Take it off and throw it in that trash thingie,” she told him while pointing. Vaughn grimaced slightly and did as he was told. Then, Sydney handed him a baby wipe and gave further instructions. “It’s hard!” he grumbled as he struggled with the clean diaper.

“It’s easy.”

“Easy for you to say... you’ve had six weeks of practice... okay, I think I got it,” Vaughn said proudly.

Sydney bit her lip to stop from laughing. “Hey Vaughn... do you think this will be a problem,” she said as she lifted Jordan off the table and his diaper promptly fell off.

“Huh...,” Vaughn said with confusion. “So that didn’t work.”

“Not so much,” Sydney laughed. “Try again and make it tighter... but not too tight.”

Vaughn grumbled and groaned some more but he finally managed to get the diaper on properly. Then, he watched as Sydney demonstrated the proper way to bundle Jordan up before sticking a pacifier in his mouth. “Pick him up, take him to the crib and gently put him in, make sure he stays on his back though,” Sydney told Vaughn.

Vaughn did as he was told and then turned to Sydney. “What now?”

“Now? We’re done. It’s late and he’ll probably sleep for six hours or so before he needs to be fed again,” Sydney told him. Vaughn nodded. “Then tomorrow we’ll show you how to bathe him and feed him.”

“Feed him...?” Vaughn asked with confusion.

Sydney nodded. “You can feed him from a bottle so I can sleep.”

“So, now I’m the slave?” he laughed.

“No, you’re the father.”

He grinned. “I like that.”

“Mmmhmm.” Sydney sighed as she walked over to Vaughn, wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him. “Hey Vaughn... you know how old Jordan is?”

“You said six weeks right?”

“Mmhmm,” she grinned. “Do you know what that means?”

“Umm... over a month but not quite two?” he suggested sounding totally confused.

Sydney laughed softly. “No. After you have a baby you can’t have sex for six weeks.”

“But... it's been six weeks,” Vaughn said, trying to follow the conversation.

“Exactly,” she grinned before kissing him again.

“Wait, wait Syd... he’s right here,” Vaughn said with a cautious look towards his son.

“We’ll just have to be veerrry, very quiet then, won’t we?”

“Syd,” he laughed softly. She looked at him very, very seriously and almost desperately. “I can be quiet.”

~*~

In the middle of the night, Sydney awoke to Jordan’s fussing like usual, but before she was able to get out of bed, Vaughn crossed the room in a flash. “What do I do?” he asked rather helplessly.

“Bring him here,” Sydney mumbled. “Support his head... pick him up gently.”

“I know, I got it,” Vaughn said as he brought Jordan over and handed him off to his mother. Then, he crawled in bed beside her and put his arm around her. “We’re gonna be ok; the three of us,” he told her firmly.

She looked up at him and he could tell she was smiling even though the dim light. “Of course we are. You’re here now.”

-Fin-

What this has been here for a few minutes and no one has replied yet?!?! I'm shocked and dismayed!

Well, I'm going to reply. It's awesome. I shall be re-reading during nap time today and posting an actual review!

Enjoy everyone!

That was so cute! I love stories when they are together and happy, and ALIVE! I am not a huge fan of dead Vaughn. Much prefer him alive. Jordan I am sure is a beautiful baby. And I was amused by awkward Vaughn trying to learn how to care for his son. Very cute.

Back