Money money money

Just curious what the monetary system in game is? Lowest denomination, highest? How they relate to each other?

Copper?
Gold?
Platinum?

leaves! we'll adopt leaves as our currency...and with so many trees we'll all be rich! Of course that would make none of us rich if we were all rich, as it would just inflate prices stupidly.

Hitchhiker's Guide anyone? ;)

Rics you impress me more each day. Yes i hope for a staggered monetary system instead of a single currency type like copper. It always sucks when im dealing with 100000000 copper instead of like 2 plat lol

Ah, and here's another question...will currency deplete your carrying compacity when hauling around a lot of coin? If so, will there be an option to exchange large ammounts of coin for notes?

Daggerfall allowed you to change in your coins for notes. It was nice.

I hope they do not make money weighted, nor limit your holding capacity like in daoc where you can only hold 250 plat even though they have a mithril slot that YOU CANT EVEN HOLD lol.

What would be cool is if the Wyr were actually treated as currency. Not so much a mind, and spiritual thing you gain, but a rune called a Wyr. Diablo 2 had this type of currency with SOJ's, and now runes. I like that a lot more as their are more places to barder with.

As for Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I hated that movie. I worked at the theatre the time of its release. I'm sorry, I just hate British humor.

Nah, frosty, that movie is not Hitchhiker's Guide. Just a cheap rip-off. Even the british mini-series from the Dark Ages of television (60's or 70's, can't remember) is better than that big screen pulp.
Read the book (or listen to it, heard it as a german audio play first)

Three or four types of metals should be max. I rather like to have 300 gold than just 3 platinum. (whoo, topic saved :smiley: )

I haven't seen this anywhere before, but will HJ support players purchasing property and building homes - places to store items, rest and a place to call their own? I'm not sure what else you would use it for as I don't expect this to be a game where making money is the key thing, but it would certainly be useful instead of just renting a room in an inn for a short period of time.

Maybe even have "guild owned" buildings that only members were allowed in to store items... Any thoughts? It would certainly contribute to keeping a stable economy (I think).

I think that it doesnt really make that big of a difference what the money is, but I agree it shouldn't just be...1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 dirt. It should be more like 1,000 Star Crystals or w/e.

And as for the money taking up space. There should be a seperate pouch from the normal carrying space. This pouch would obviously be limited in space, but than you should be able to convert your 1,000. . . into a smaller form. Maybe like a certificate saying that this is worth x amount of currency.

I think there should be about 3 or 4 different worths, such as copper, silver, gold, platinum. 100C = 1S, 100S = 1G, 100G = 1P.

And like in Diablo, money was practically (if not totally) worthless except repairs. I liked how in WoW it was much more currency based. I think that HJ should be currency based also, but not to the point of if you dont have x amount by this level...reroll.

AND...I HOPE that Simu will not endorse gold buying, and that they will be against it. admit that i did buy gold, but only because it was so easy and cheap. It just made the game not fun.

Originally posted by milamber@May 11 2006, 09:01 PM
I haven't seen this anywhere before, but will HJ support players purchasing property and building homes - places to store items, rest and a place to call their own? I'm not sure what else you would use it for as I don't expect this to be a game where making money is the key thing, but it would certainly be useful instead of just renting a room in an inn for a short period of time.

Maybe even have "guild owned" buildings that only members were allowed in to store items... Any thoughts? It would certainly contribute to keeping a stable economy (I think).
I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but yes you can. Player property is actually really neat how Simutronics is doing it. I wish I could say more, but I can't for fear of breaking the NDA. I think I already have :(

Howver, YES. But think of player housing to the next level... or the level after that.

Originally posted by frostydf2+May 11 2006, 09:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frostydf2 @ May 11 2006, 09:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-milamber@May 11 2006, 09:01 PM

I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but yes you can. Player property is actually really neat how Simutronics is doing it. I wish I could say more, but I can't for fear of breaking the NDA. I think I already have :(

Howver, YES. But think of player housing to the next level... or the level after that. [/b][/quote]
I like that Idea of the guild housing....

I mean..what idea...? ;)

Well, given Simu's history with Gemstones it may not be too unrealistic to find gems as currency. I'd be happy with a pretty basic formula: 100 silver make 1 gold, 100 gold make 1 plat. Forget copper all together. Though I could live with gems using a similar formula. At least people are familiar with silver, gold, and plat.

Of course I would still like to see an option to buy notes from banks if they plan on making coin/gems weighted.

This really doesn't apply much to currency, but what about a stock market of sorts? Ah, I think I'll create a new topic for that. Toodles!

PS to Frosty: That is correct, the new Hitchhiker's movie is NOT the real Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Go buy the books or the Ultimate Guide that has all the books in them. Or you can listen to the old-school radio versions of the HG2G. And yea, there is an old british movie that actually follows the book almost word for word. The books are profound that my english professor at Fresno State actually used them for the entire course last year. There's a ton of political, sociological, and economical hidden within its nonsense.

Back