Politics Money

Sophie

in love
Do you think money shouldn't have been invented ?

I think money is one of the men's worst invention (with the atomic bomb among others).
People love money, want money, would do anything for money. The world is lead by people with a lot of power. And what does mean a lot of power nowadays ? Answer : a lot of money. -_-
Does thinking it would end to something really really bad is ok ? :thinking: Maybe yes. -_-

I'm sure we could have paid things differently, for example bartering. Ok then you tell me but how could we buy something for example on the net, we would have to pay a lot to send the other object. If money wasn't invented we would have a total different way of payment, so this problem would probably be solved.
Also how would people would be motivated to work ? For that I don't have the answer. But without money it would probably be a total different world, where maybe people would be willing to work for something other than money.
Yep that makes a lot of suppositions. :P

What do you think about that ?

It's not evil, it can just make some people evil and really avid of power.
It's always the people for sure. So you would say it's because of our society ?

I dont think the problem is the actual physical component of "money". Money symbolizes alot of stuff... and instead of mentioning those things we just associate intangeble concepts and objects to the word and object "money".

The reason why money was made was to make things easier for us, and you know what it worked!

People love money, want money, would do anything for money.
I wouldn't say they actually want the money it self... but in this case money is symbolizing wealth, happiness, security, fame etc. Money really means nothing its just easier to say "I want money" then to say "I want this and I want that".

Lets say money didn't exist. Everyone would be the same but instead of working hard for "money" people would be working hard for... lets say a sandwich or a car. So in the end money really isnt the problem... The problem is PEOPLE, people are corrupt, insecure, and greedy.

I'm sure we could have paid things differently, for example bartering. Ok then you tell me but how could we buy something for example on the net, we would have to pay a lot to send the other object. If money wasn't invented we would have a total different way of payment, so this problem would probably be solved.

Sorry but I dont think that even remotely resembles an argument.

Also how would people would be motivated to work ? For that I don't have the answer. But without money it would probably be a total different world, where maybe people would be willing to work for something other than money.

Money means nothing. Money is just an idea that was put in place so we wouldn't have to count cows and chickens. Its us who put the value on money! Money would mean nothing if no one agreed on its worth. So therefore if everyone said screw money lets just trade cows then instead of you making a thread about "money" it would be a thread about "cows".

You know what I m saying? Well if you don't then all i m saying is... Money is not the problem. People are the problem.

I think its the perception that money in today's world that causes problems. For some, its the solution to their problems and its what money has been associated with that gives its status in society.

Also how would people would be motivated to work ?

That's why I'm trying to find a job that I would love doing day in and day out so less focus is given to money.

I wouldn't say they actually want the money it self... but in this case money is symbolizing wealth, happiness, security, fame etc. Money really means nothing its just easier to say "I want money" then to say "I want this and I want that".

Lets say money didn't exist. Everyone would be the same but instead of working hard for "money" people would be working hard for... lets say a sandwich or a car. So in the end money really isnt the problem... The problem is PEOPLE, people are corrupt, insecure, and greedy.

Its difficult to think of a world where money didn't exist simply because we've never experienced a world without it, assuming you have lived in a modern, developed society your whole life. Its possible that if money was never invented then humans would of developed another system of trade.

You know what I m saying? Well if you don't then all i m saying is... Money is not the problem. People are the problem.

Its like the modern version of 'natural selection' and 'survival of the fittest'.

We need something like money. Even if money didn't exist, there would still be greedy people.

Anybody who has read 'Utopia' will know ideal societies simply can't work in reality.

Actually Atom bomb or any nuclear weapon for that matter has saved countless of lives, so i don't appreciate being kncoked down.

How you ask?

Its a detterant, meaning a nuclear country would not attack another nuclear country in fear of retaliation, plain and simple. The 2 bombs used on Japan saved more lives than it took. Did you know that there were 180,000 american/allied soldiers waiting to invade Japan if the 1st bomb didn't work as intended.

To put it in a way that more people will understand easily ... here goes: If you were at a bar and a group of goons start a fight with your friends and you .... you would most probably defend yourself by fighting back fist to fist.
Now imagine both groups had guns on them, both sides would be hesitant to begin anything in the first place.

------------------

And yes, money sucks, i hate it

The reason why money was made was to make things easier for us, and you know what it worked!
Lets say money didn't exist.  Everyone would be the same but instead of working hard for "money" people would be working hard for... lets say a sandwich or a car.  So in the end money really isnt the problem...  The problem is PEOPLE, people are corrupt, insecure, and greedy.
It worked yes, but it also created problems. I'm just stating. I know the problem is also people, but maybe without money people would be different, we'll never know.

I wouldn't say they actually want the money it self... but in this case money is symbolizing wealth, happiness, security, fame etc.  Money really means nothing its just easier to say "I want money" then to say "I want this and I want that".
That's because of the societey, we may have given too many importance to money.

Sorry but I dont think that even remotely resembles an argument.
I didn't say it was. It's just a thought. Can I have my own thoughts and post them ? Don't say sorry. I know someone who, before starting a sentence that is gonna hurt another person, says "Don't be upset but..." It's so useless. Just say what you want to say, or just shut your mouth.

Money means nothing.  Money is just an idea that was put in place so we wouldn't have to count cows and chickens.    Its us who put the value on money!  Money would mean nothing if no one agreed on its worth.  So therefore if everyone said screw money lets just trade cows then instead of you making a thread about "money" it would be a thread about "cows".
But, like you said, it symbolizes things.
Ahah, very funny "cows", but I'm a veggie, I would prefer bags :P :lol:

You know what I m saying?  Well if you don't then all i m saying is...  Money is not the problem.  People are the problem.
I don't think I'm bumb, so yeah I know.

jess said:
I think its the perception that money in today's world that causes problems.  For some, its the solution to their problems and its what money has been associated with that gives its status in society. 
[post="977617"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Again it's the symbolization we gave to it.

Natalia said:
Anybody who has read 'Utopia' will know ideal societies simply can't work in reality.
[post="977644"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I didn't read it, but I know it's impossible. -_-

Goonigoogoo said:
Actually Atom bomb or any nuclear weapon for that matter has saved countless of lives, so i don't appreciate being kncoked down.

How you ask?

Its a detterant, meaning a nuclear country would not attack another nuclear country in fear of retaliation, plain and simple.  The 2 bombs used on Japan saved more lives than it took.  Did you know that there were 180,000 american/allied soldiers waiting to invade Japan if the 1st bomb didn't work as intended.

To put it in a way that more people will understand easily ... here goes:  If you were at a bar and a group of goons start a fight with your friends and you .... you would most probably defend yourself by fighting back fist to fist.
Now imagine both groups had guns on them, both sides would be hesitant to begin anything in the first place.
[post="977891"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
That's for another serious discussion ;) I know it's a deterrent force, but it's like money, would it be different without it? Another deterrent force would have probably been invented.

Goonigoogoo said:

How you ask?

Its a detterant, meaning a nuclear country would not attack another nuclear country in fear of retaliation, plain and simple.  The 2 bombs used on Japan saved more lives than it took.  Did you know that there were 180,000 american/allied soldiers waiting to invade Japan if the 1st bomb didn't work as intended.

[post="977891"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I don't agree with that! Yeah sure 180 000 US Soldiers would not see combat (but of those 180 thousand soldier how many of them would actually have to die)... but thats nothing compared to actual amount of innocent people killed in the bombings. The intial blasts killed 110 000 innocent civilians alone and injured another 130 000. And over the next few years several thouand more people would die from the radiation. Even children who werent born yet would suffer from cancerous dieseses. In 1950 an actual death toll was done (5 years after the initial blasts) and 340,000 people have been killed buy those bombs. Bare in mind that these are not soldiers they were innocent women and children. Its one thing allowing soldiers to fight but when soldiers target innocent people its just WRONG.

Charlie said:
Money isn’t inherently evil, it’s a great substitution for bartering.

People just value it too much and respect it too much.
[post="977557"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yes, and it makes people greedy, and makes people lust after it.

People can pretty much lust after anything. Money is sort of the middleman. To get that rich house, new car, designer clothes, you first need money. It's not that people crave money, it's that they crave the privileges of what money can offer them.

In the begining there was no money. People gathered food just for their basic survival. After certain period of time people stoped being nomads and made villages and cities where they had farms and cattle and very soon they started to produce more than they can eat. The same thing happened with their crafts..the individual had more than he needs so people invented bargain and introduced the first form of trade. Bargain colapsed because there was no way that you could efficiently determine the value of vegetables measured in meet for example..so they asked themselfs this very simple question ''what do all these products have incomon?'' The answer was ''Men'', or more aqurately ''work'' that men have to invest in them to be produced. Now all they needed to do is to determine the value of that work by simple parameters..time, difficulty, level of skill you need to have to compleat it..etc. Than they decided to use metals..because of their quality and durability..to represent this value and they created first coines. Eventualy they abandoned production
of all other low quality metals exept for gold..because gold has such atomic structure that alowes it to have constant value under a long period of time.
Naturaly they realised that there isn't that much gold to go around, if you wanted to make gold coins for the entire world so they agreed to keep gold in vaults, and for every.day.use they would print valuable paper as an equivalent of the gold they have in vaults.
Today things are not as simple as I described them in my expose, and I'm fully aware of that..but what remained the same is the fact that money is nothing else but a fictional equivalent of OUR WORK. So when you go into a grocery store to buy something, or you want to buy a new car, or go to a summer vacation..the paper you are useing to pay for all this is actually equivalent of someone working.
Try to have that in mind..picture a guy working a crane on a construction site, or a cab driver, nurse, teacher, manager, mill worker...the next time you buy something..amagine giving a portion of someones time, energy, hard work and receiving a hot dog or a brand new t-shirt in return. It could drasticaly change your perspective on things in regard to money and it's TRUE value..it sure changed mine :D

1 Timothy 6:10 "For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with all kinds of grief."

Hebrews 13:5 "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.'"

Ecclesiastes 5:10 "Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income."

^_^

Sophie said:
Yep that makes a lot of suppositions. :P

What do you think about that ?
[post="977550"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

People would always find SOMETHING to lust after. As long as their exist some kind of scarce resource, people will vie for it. I mean let's assume in the distant future, we've got replicator technology like on star trek, so that we can pretty much convert energy into matter, as long as we have a blue print. This makes things like gold and diamonds instantly worthless. Furthermore, assume that Rambaldi's zero point energy formula recovered from the music box was put into commercial application so that man kind had an unlimited energy source (FYI, the concetp of Zero Point Energy actually has some loose basis in scientific fact. Look up Casimir effect ). What would people lust after then? Well, for one information. Your replicator is useless unless you have a blue print to replicate from. So somebody has to make that blue print. So now the trading commodity is information.

Ultimately it boils down to power. People want more power. And acquring power is a zero sum game. If I get more power, someone else just lost some. So power is always a scarce resource. So unless we fundamentally change the driving force behind human nature (which is questionable whether it can be done at all), getting rid of money and material concerns won't do you any good.

XIn Li

Back