Politics Moral Question

Okay folks here is the deal. I have to write a paper over what I would do if I were in the states situation. It’s a moral dilemma…how would I handle it? So basically I want to some feed back…what would you do if you were the state? Would you take the child away from his parents and force him to take chemotherapy or would you allow the parents to neglect his needs? Here is a little more information that isn’t in the article. The reason the parents are refusing the chemotherapy is because it is against their religious beliefs. I wish I had more information….but anywho…what would you do?

Oh…I’m not sure what paper this article was in…my professor just gave us a copy of the article w/o and references. Go figure :0)

i'm having a hard time deciding what i would do....so let me know what you think :0) I’ll be online later to check it out…I have to go to work right now...

Nationline

Utah ends its pursuit of child with cancer

The state of Utah is dropping efforts to force chemotherapy on a boy whose parents were charged with kidnapping him to avoid the treatment, officials said Monday. The family’s fierce resistance makes forced treatment unworkable because parents need to approve of chemotherapy, said Carol Sisco, spokeswoman for the Division of Child and Family Services.
Parker Jensen, 12, was diagnosed with Ewing’s sarcoma, and at least four physicians recommended chemotherapy. Daren and Barbara Jensen want to pursue alternative treatments. They fled Utah in August after the state ordered them to turn the boy over to state custody for chemotherapy. To escape kidnapping charges, the Jensens agreed to a new round of tests by an Idaho oncologist, Martin Johnston, and to abide by his recommendation. Johnston recommended chemotherapy, but the Jenses say new tests don’t show signs of cancer. However, experts say that almost all patients with Ewing’s sarcoma have undetectable cancer cells that spread. “What can we do?” Sisco said. “Do we take him into custody and force him into chemotherapy? We just don’t think that will work.

hmm...there's a lot of information that the article doesn't give. what are the chances of survival with the chemo...without? and what kind of pain will the child go through if he undergoes chemotherapy?

ha ha, i don't blame you. okey dokey, with tat limited info, i say the parents have the right to say what is best for their child. there are new "better" treatments for cancer evolving every year.

Hmm... does the child want to undergo chemotherapy? If the child wants to undergo chemotherapy, then I think that he should get to undergo it; afterall, he may not hold the same beliefs as his parents.

I agree - how does the child feel about the situation? Would he like to try the chemo? He needs to let his parents know about how he feels about all of this.

Kelly

The problem is that in this country, the parents have the right to decide. But it all comes down to what is best for the child.

they should ask the kid.
if this is a condition the kid could die from, i think he would rather live... but then again i don't know the kid so... i'm not sure.

hmmm i have to think for a while on this :lol:

Alias_Girl_624 said:
they should ask the kid.
if this is a condition the kid could die from, i think he would rather live... but then again i don't know the kid so... i'm not sure.

hmmm i have to think for a while on this :lol:
this is true....and i thought about this...since his parents are very religious or at least that is a reason they don't want him to undergo his chemotherapy....

normally when parents are that fanatic about something....they pass it to their children. the parents are willing to risk their child dying b/c they believe that he will go to hell if he undergoes the treatment....normally in situations like this the child is ...well i don't wanna use the word brainwashed...but i will...brainwashed (for lack of a better word) to think the way they do and to hold their beliefs.

well if he thinks the way his parents do and he holds the same beliefs as they do....then by taking the chemo...he would live...but he would live with the fact that he has gone against his religion and that in his belief he'll go to hell....talk about torture....ya know?

decisions like this are so hard to make...simply b/c by choosing one route you violate another. for example...by taking the child into custody and giving him the chemo you have violated his parents right to religion and their right to raise their child as they want...but if you don't take the child away and the parents refuse the chemo...more than likely he will die....so what do you do?

sorry for the lack of information on the subject...the little clipping i posted was all the information my professor gave us.

Back