Politics More Terrorist Bombings

Natalia

Cadet
Bali Bombings Leave 19 Dead, 51 Injured
AP - 12 minutes ago
BALI, Indonesia - Bombs exploded almost simultaneously Saturday in two tourist areas of the Indonesian resort island of Bali, killing at least 19 people and wounding 51 others, police and hospital officials said. The victims included at least two Americans. The blasts at Jimbaran beach and a bustling outdoor shopping center in downtown Kuta "were clearly the work of terrorists," police Maj. Gen. Ansyaad Mbai, a top Indonesian anti-terrorism official, told The Associated Press.

19 reported dead in Bali blasts

Saturday, October 1, 2005; Posted: 11:35 a.m. EDT (15:35 GMT)

Bali (Indonesia)
(CNN) -- A string of blasts on the Indonesian resort island of Bali on Saturday killed at least 19 people and wounded about 50 others, hospital officials said.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Marty Natalegawa told CNN it appeared the blasts were "the work of terrorists."

Australia's Foreign Minister Alexander Downer told Austrialia's ABC radio that one Australian was among those killed.

The blasts happened in Jimbaran and Kuta, the top tourist spots on the island, and Natalegawa said reports indicated the blasts appeared to have occurred just minutes apart.

Video of the scene in Kuta showed the glass windows of several upscale stores shattered, with glass littering the street, and the awning of Raja's Bar and Restaurant blown askew.

There have been local media reports that Westerners were among the casualties.

Kuta is where two powerful bombs detonated near several nightclubs on October 12, 2002, killing 202 people, most of them Australian and Indonesian.

That attack was blamed on Jemaah Islamiyah, which has ties to Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda terrorist network.

Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono recently issued a warning that terrorist cells inside the country were still active, despite hundreds of arrests.

The blasts also come after recent warnings from several other governments, including the United States, of a high terrorist threat to foreigners in Indonesia as the holy Muslim month of Ramadan arrives early next week.

A report issued in early September warned that bin laden and his top lieutenant Ayman al-Zawahiri may be planning a series of attacks in October, dubbed "The Great Ramadan Offensive."

On Friday, the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta reiterated its warden's message issued in May, which said the threat of terrorism is high and that Americans there should be vigilant.

"Attacks could occur at anytime and could be directed against any location, including those frequented by foreigners and identifiably American or other western facilities or businesses in Indonesia," the message said.

The island of Bali -- a popular spot for tourists across the world -- is actually a Hindu enclave in Indonesia, which is the world's most populous Muslim nation.

Natalegawa said he was confident authorities would find the attackers.

"We know what it takes to bring the perpetrators to justice because our success rate ... has been rather good," he said.

That place is so volatile. It's absolutely awful.

My uncle lived in Indonesia with his family for almost 10 years, and the stories he told us were absolutely shocking.

The Australian Prime Minister has deliberately not mentioned he was aware of "The Great Ramadan Offensive" talked about in the article. Our government issued no warnings about it, and now the prime minister is saying there was no terror threat.

Australians have been hurt and killed, and the man is out to save his reputation. :angry:

This is getting insane the second time in 4 years the death toll is up to 26 and 140 injured not as bad as last time but still!!!!! Indonesia's government really need to step up after this and outlaw "J.I. schools" and extrimist groups how many more inocent people have to be killed.

If Australian's stop going to Bali it will destroy their ecconmy but if going there means i may loose my life i'd rather go elsewhere but I really don't want the terrorists to win because if we stop going they do.

NYC subways are on like terror alert Red for the next few days cuz of strong evidence of an impending attack. so if anyone here will be on the subways, please report ANYTHING suspicious. better to report something you suspect that turns out to be false than not to report and have people die.

NYC subways are on like terror alert Red for the next few days cuz of strong evidence of an impending attack. so if anyone here will be on the subways, please report ANYTHING suspicious. better to report something you suspect that turns out to be false than not to report and have people die.

While this doesn't have anything to do with the Bali bombings, I think it's kinda weird.

Today President Bush gave a big speech on how Iraq was a key link in the war on terror and we needed to win the war in Iraq to win the war on terror.

Now this evening out of the blue there is a threat against subway systems in NYC...a threat that is coming from a group in Iraq apparently.

Not that I'm saying it isn't true...but it does seem rather coincidental.

Hmm...and let's not forget that Dick Cheney said that if Kerry was elected then we would be in danger of getting hit by a devestating attack again, but we'd be safe if he and Bush were reelected...so we must be safe.

I don't think it matters what race, religion or sex the terrorists are. As Sydney says in Season 3 of Alias, it's the people we need to stop.

The Islamic people who apparently did the bombings, most likely they would have done them had they been Buddhist or Hindu or whatever. These people would find an excuse, or maybe they wouldn't bother. If you doubt this, then ask yourself 'Why was Bali attacked?' These bombings aren't 100% about politics. These bombings are about hurting people, killing people. Civilians. The September 11 attack of 2002 was about politics. That's why America was attacked, that's why they tried to take down the White House. The Bali bombing in 2003 and the one just now were both about murder.

The people who do these things are indescribable. There are no words to justify them. The closest that comes to it would be along the lines of evil ... murderers ...

This kind of violence, war, is sickening. If we, as the human race, are ever going to get even close to the ideals of peace, the first step is to abolish all kinds of discrimination. Discrimination, vanity and narrow-mindedness are the three major issues that start the kind of hatred that brings about war.

These people don't understand that the problem with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat.
And you're alone.

I don't think it matters what race, religion or sex the terrorists are. As Sydney says in Season 3 of Alias, it's the people we need to stop.

The Islamic people who apparently did the bombings, most likely they would have done them had they been Buddhist or Hindu or whatever. These people would find an excuse, or maybe they wouldn't bother. If you doubt this, then ask yourself 'Why was Bali attacked?' These bombings aren't 100% about politics. These bombings are about hurting people, killing people. Civilians. The September 11 attack of 2002 was about politics. That's why America was attacked, that's why they tried to take down the White House. The Bali bombing in 2003 and the one just now were both about murder.

The people who do these things are indescribable. There are no words to justify them. The closest that comes to it would be along the lines of evil ... murderers ...

This kind of violence, war, is sickening. If we, as the human race, are ever going to get even close to the ideals of peace, the first step is to abolish all kinds of discrimination. Discrimination, vanity and narrow-mindedness are the three major issues that start the kind of hatred that brings about war.

These people don't understand that the problem with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat.
And you're alone.
wow...You know you're an Alias fan when u actually use quotations from the show to support everyday arguments, lol.

you mean 11 September 2001?

discrimination, vanity, and narrow-mindedness, definitely agree with you there. it appears that we're fighting fire with fire.

I think that underestimates the political situation in Indonesia. Clearly they were political attacks. Indonesia like other s.e countries has a unique geo-political situation.

THis was as political as 9/11

Most of the reason i don't think they were political attacks was because they were set off in tourist areas. If they were as political as September 11, then they would have targeted the parliament, or buildings with importance. They were just out to kill people. It's sick.

And you're alone.

i'm definitely with you on this one. the people who do these kinds of things...there's not a chance in the world i could ever understand them. and yeah, i also think the first step to stop these things is to abandon all the horrible discrimination of all kind. and then, people need to work together, spend time together, get to know each other, to get rid of all prejudicies and start to understand each other! i mean, how can we understand each other if we don't know each other? i think that the more you dig into it, the more people from different places you meet and get to know, the more you realize that we're quite similar to each other no matter where we're from or what color our skin is or what religion we believe in. but that's so hard for people. and that's why there's terrorism and war, because most people don't even try, don't even want to understand each other. and then, just like liz said, in the end you're a rat and you're alone.

Back