Mounts? Ways of travel?

F

frostydf2

What kind of mounts do you want in the game, do you want to be able to fly a dragon? Would you want to ride a horse, or a differnet type of unique creature? Tell me, what are your opinoins.

How do you expect to get around in the world of Elanthia? Do you want to fly an airship, do you want to be a pirate and own your own boat? Tell me!

Personally I want to ride around on my daziling looking horse and spear mobs ;)

Originally posted by frostydf2@Apr 13 2006, 06:10 PM
Personally I want to ride around on my daziling looking horse and spear mobs ;)
That would be pretty awsome, I don'y know of many games that let you attack while on a mount.

Personally I would want to be able to ride a horse and attack on it, via magic or range spells it doesn't really matter. As for global travel I think airships would be cool, or anything else that takes some times getting to the destination. I am pretty bored of being able to teleport instantly to any locations like most games have now.

What would be awsome is if a giant battle happend. Calvary was included, and everyone tried to stay as organized as possible. However, fighting on a mount has too many pro's, there should be some sort of con to fighting on a mount, like loss of attack, or attack speed. Concentration could go down, however the bonuses would be easy way to exit battle, you can see more of the battlefield, and you look cool. What else?

Maybe even possibly have your horse die if struck too many times.

i would like horses... boats.. maybe an airship depending on the year and how advanced the world is and it would be good if it took a while to get to where you wanted to and mobs attact or sumtin

Horses would definitely be nice. Pegasi would be very cool, I like to ride on wolves (they look like my dog), maybe wyverns, spiders, snakes, cats, scorpions! Chariots!!! Chariots would definitely rock! You could even have chariot races ala Ben Hur...

Originally posted by Diem@Apr 17 2006, 07:36 PM
Horses would definitely be nice. Pegasi would be very cool, I like to ride on wolves (they look like my dog), maybe wyverns, spiders, snakes, cats, scorpions! Chariots!!! Chariots would definitely rock! You could even have chariot races ala Ben Hur...
Chariot races would be cool, but I think its too Roman for a game like this. Possibly have a differnet type of race. I really loved Chocobo racing in FF7, that would be cool if you could train a horse, or other sort of transportation, and then race them.

Even FF7 Chocobo racing was simple, but it was addicting.

I think something basic and not horribly hard to implement would be horseback riding/combat.

The concept of limiting travel to horses means you can make different speed horses, either by training or maybe just costing more. This also limits how much coding has to be done (in my non-knowledge of programming) and would make it come into existance faster. I am not sure how to stop people from buying gold with real money and buy a faster horse, though, and that is why I kind of like the idea of training your own horse. Maybe you can invest skill points or something as opposed to better foraging or better combat skills.

The concept of combat would add a huge novelty to the game that other games haven't quite tapped yet. A horseback rider would have a slight advantage, be it either with a spear charge or sword against ground fighters, but also have disadvantages to spear- and arrow-wielding enemies.

To be able to enact a mounted cavalry charge with other players just makes me drool all over my keyboard....

The only problem with the idea of cavalry being implemented into an mmorpg is that you will always need a ton of skirmishers to effectively take out a group of horse men. I mean it would take away alot of the novelty if a horsemen gets knocked of his mount after like 1 attack against him, but so would being wtfpwned by a guy going way faster then you with increased dmg due to momentum.

Something like this really does take careful planning because it can effectively ruin a game if not controlled and expiremented with.

As for what i would like to ride, Another character would just rock ass. Think about it, piggy back riding into combat. Probably the funniest thing since the gnome /train from WoW.

(Aries - remember when you played Lineage 2, you could attack with your dragon while mounted on it. And you did play Lineage 2 :smiley: )

I don't really think mounts are an essential way of travel. Sure they're handy, but I'm positive they'll have some sort of a gate-to-gate system or some kind of public transport. Plus, I'm a Master of the Arcane, I don't need some stinking beast to sit on.

Though mounts are cool, they are def. not something every game really needs. They can be difficult to implement and can sometimes make speed classes useless.

Originally posted by Ocius@Apr 20 2006, 09:31 AM
Though mounts are cool, they are def. not something every game really needs. They can be difficult to implement and can sometimes make speed classes useless.
Unless you could somehow snare the mount like you can in WoW.

The problem they probably are running into is immersion. If you make it realistic, you'll need a place to store your horse when you're off it. If you make it like WoW, you'll break immersion immediately. I mean, I don't know about you, but when I get out of my car it doesn't just disappear until I need it again.

Originally posted by tasoli+Apr 20 2006, 07:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tasoli @ Apr 20 2006, 07:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ocius@Apr 20 2006, 09:31 AM
Unless you could somehow snare the mount like you can in WoW.

The problem they probably are running into is immersion. If you make it realistic, you'll need a place to store your horse when you're off it. If you make it like WoW, you'll break immersion immediately. I mean, I don't know about you, but when I get out of my car it doesn't just disappear until I need it again. [/b][/quote]
FFXI did a great job at this. You never really 'purchased' a Chocobo, you just rented one, and you had to run from stable to stable. Kind of keeping the trend of all FF games.

I'm sure Simutronics could do something like this :smiley:

Mount / Mounted Combat would be cool / difficult to make a good fair part of the game.

But maybe, like if the arena idea was implemented, you could only use it during certain "Arena" PvP.

For example Jousting.

And as for equipment, you should be able to choose more armor, but a decrease in speed, or more speed, but less armor.

I personally feel that mounts should be part of the whole world, just becuase it was an actual and very practical means of transportation in those days. As for the PvP aspect in the world, this is a toughy. The whole WTFPWNED because i wasn't mounted and he was ordeal is a tricky situation. Maybe like if you see a mounted person charging you, you would get adrenaline and have faster move speed / increased dodge chance / certain moves as to balance it out.

Just some ideas im throwing out there.

i would love mounted combat. it shouldn't be fair. mounted combat should give you very obvious advantages....but the mounts themselves should be killable and the rider should not be able to get back up fast after getting knocked off...so he can get his speed boost and height advantage but if he gets dismounted he should be easy prey and if his mount dies the rider should be easy prey...far easier than if he wasnt mounted in the first place.

Originally posted by JonDDA@Apr 20 2006, 06:41 PM
Mount / Mounted Combat would be cool / difficult to make a good fair part of the game.

But maybe, like if the arena idea was implemented, you could only use it during certain "Arena" PvP.

For example Jousting.

And as for equipment, you should be able to choose more armor, but a decrease in speed, or more speed, but less armor.

I personally feel that mounts should be part of the whole world, just becuase it was an actual and very practical means of transportation in those days. As for the PvP aspect in the world, this is a toughy. The whole WTFPWNED because i wasn't mounted and he was ordeal is a tricky situation. Maybe like if you see a mounted person charging you, you would get adrenaline and have faster move speed / increased dodge chance / certain moves as to balance it out.

Just some ideas im throwing out there.
These are some intresting and intruiging ideas, Jon.

The kind of mounts I'd like to see are hyenas, bulls, lions, 4 legged dinosaurs, pegasus (i know fat chance but still..),bears,various African hooved and horned beasts such as gazelles and impalas (though they would have to give them exaggerated physiques to be better suited for riding and make them look cooler).
edit: What I don't want to see are racial limitations on who can ride own what kind of mount. Some mounts should simply be easier to access for some races than others (due only to proximity rather than "faction").

I can almost gaurentee Simutronics comes up with some strange creature that we can all ride, but is still bad ass :smiley:

Originally posted by JonDDA@Apr 21 2006, 01:41 AM
Maybe like if you see a mounted person charging you, you would get adrenaline and have faster move speed / increased dodge chance / certain moves as to balance it out.
I think one way to bring some form of 'balance' to mounted version non-mounted combat would be to make the mounts turn quite slowly; ie your horse doesn't turn on a dime when you swing the mouse, but rather you need to turn it with A - D keys, and it steps in circular motion, much more akin to real life.
If you've played Oblivion you'll know what I mean by slower turning mounts (though maybe not that slow).

In this fashion, two non-mounted people could be running around the horse slashing at it and the rider, and the rider is at quiet a disadvantage having to try to turn him/herself and the horse while getting attacked from two quarters.

As for me, I would just love to be part Ranger (class combo) and be able to dart and weave through the forests and trees faster than a non-Ranger hehe.
I would LOVE to finally see what kind of armour you wear have more of an affect that lowering/raising Agility and AC... Heavy armour should slow you, and your mount, doooown.

All in all, as mounts go, I just love the good old fashioned horsey. :D
With customisation of course! Saddle bags, armour, fitness (speed and maneuverability etc), all that kinda jazz!

PLEASE!

My Mount
Atreyuuuuu!

*geez, i hope someone else gets that referrence.

I hope they have mounts, and I also hope its something that we have to work towards. Some of my favorite mmo memories were scraping together enough resources to get myself something to ride.

For several days after I'd get a mount that I EARNED the hard way, I'd randomly run outside of a town and just ride around. It didn't even have to be the "uber" or "epic" mount, I was proud of it regardless.

In regards to the KINDS of mounts that I'd like to see. I'd be happy as long as their is somewhat of a variety. But what if they had Very Rare creatures that you could try to put a saddle on and "break in". Most of the time people would be thrown off of these rare mounts, so it would be really special if you ever saw someone riding, for example, the "Hulking Red Bear of Eversong Forest."

That movie is awesome. I haven't seen it in a few years. Like ten or so maybe.

I don't know what kind of mounts we'll have, but I'm hoping we break away from reality for this one.

Back