moving...

the school year is broken down into three quarters (i know, quarters are supposed to be fourths; a more accurate term would be trimester, but quarters are just what we call it). each quarter is made up of 10 weeks plus an extra week for finals.

the semester system (according to berkeley, anyway) is something like 15 weeks plus an extra week and a half or two weeks for finals each semester. they usually start about a month earlier than the other UCs that are on the quarter system and get out a month earlier as well.

i'm guessing marquette is on the semester system. it could be called something else too, though.

sorry. :blush: let me make it simpler.

1 quarter = 10 weeks instruction + 1 week finals.

1 semester = 15 weeks instruction + 1.5-2 weeks finals.

a school on the quarter system has 3 quarters while a school on the semester system has 2 semesters. ;)

semester schools generally start the school year earlier and end it earlier while quarter schools generally start the school year later and end it later.

Ah... i see.

do you really or are you just saying that to make me feel better? :P

and yes, finals are freaky. it's the other "F" word. :o_O:

but, hey, we've still got quite a bit of summer left even though leah's already off to school. and just because she's moved doesn't mean her school starts anytime soon. she's probably moving in early to get settled in. ^_^

crazy spinster said:
Ah... i see.

do you really or are you just saying that to make me feel better? :P

and yes, finals are freaky. it's the other "F" word. :o_O:

but, hey, we've still got quite a bit of summer left even though leah's already off to school. and just because she's moved doesn't mean her school starts anytime soon. she's probably moving in early to get settled in. ^_^
actually it's not confusing.

you said:

1 quarter = 10 weeks instruction + 1 week finals.

1 semester = 15 weeks instruction + 1.5-2 weeks finals.

SO that means some schools go by quarters and others go by semesters... right?

crazy spinster said:
yes, exactly! :D

i suppose there may be other systems, but those are the only two i know since they're the only two used in most california universities. ^_^
hehe so i wasn't just making you feel better :P

I'm pretty smart. ::taps on head and hears an echo:: :Paranoid: :D

nance said:
crazy spinster said:
yes, exactly!  :D 

i suppose there may be other systems, but those are the only two i know since they're the only two used in most california universities.  ^_^
hehe so i wasn't just making you feel better :P

I'm pretty smart. ::taps on head and hears an echo:: :Paranoid: :D
:lol: okay, good. because, actually, i do that all the time when i get confused - get this glazed look on my face and nod and smile and say "ahh...i see" when i really don't. so i was worried that you might be doing the same thing. but, of course, you weren't, nance. ^_^

You've moved 6 times in the past 3 years? Whoa... :blink: Isn't that some kind of record?

Actually, my classes start Aug. 25... orientation starts the 20th. I just wanted to move in early to get settled and everything, since I am living off campus. And yes, the school is on a semester system. My freshman year at Augustana was on trimesters... each term was 9 weeks (not counting the 1 week every term for finals). Last year, at comm. college, we were on quarters. Which is basically like trimesters.

Haha... it's good to know though, that while I'm gone, Cherry is here to be my voice. :lol: Great minds think alike! :lol:

Back