Music Music for Philip Jose Farmer fans

cweber

Scout
Another Farmer song! Check out "Birds Without Legs." Inspired by Farmer's 1952 short story, "Sail On! Sail On!"

cweber

Scout
My first contact with Philip Jose Farmer was when I was in high school. I found Venus on the Halfshell in a used bookstore, with Kilgore Trout listed as the author. I recognized the name from Vonnegut’s books and thought I had made a profound discovery: Vonnegut’s character was a real person! Afterwards I realized that Farmer had written the book with Vonnegut’s permission, and that later editions had appeared under Farmer’s name. Twenty-five years onward I got interested in science fiction again and discovered Farmer’s other books. I realized that, in a way, he captured what I had always loved best about Vonnegut: his campy-Kilgore Trout-science fiction side. In fact, the worlds that Farmer created were even more fascinating than those created by Vonnegut.
In Inside/Outside the image of Jack Cull going to work at the Theology Exchange, naked with a briefcase in his hand, was particularly powerful, so I decided to make a song about it. As Kevin and I worked on it, I began to think about the enigma that Farmer’s “automatic prophet” repeats over and over again in the novel, which is essentially a more extreme version of the Binding of Isaac in the Book of Genesis. This is really a central theological problem: is God answerable to an external ethical standard, or does he set the standard himself. In fact, it’s a problem which extends beyond the limits of religion and the belief in God. It is quite simply the question: does anything mean anything?

Top Bottom