Musical Genres

Kuzzle

Cadet
So I was just wondering: What all genres will be represented by the Bard class, and if you can choose your genre. If so, is that something that can be changed on the fly, changed via application of different Wyr, or does it go on a song-by-song basis?

The other thing I was wondering was if your Primary/Secondary class will effect your available genre choices? Last but not least, will some songs/genres only be available for certain instruments?

Most of this assumes that the Bard class is far more in-depth than it likely is, but it's still a fairly interesting point of speculation.

So I was just wondering: What all genres will be represented by the Bard class, and if you can choose your genre. If so, is that something that can be changed on the fly, changed via application of different Wyr, or does it go on a song-by-song basis?

The other thing I was wondering was if your Primary/Secondary class will effect your available genre choices? Last but not least, will some songs/genres only be available for certain instruments?

Most of this assumes that the Bard class is far more in-depth than it likely is, but it's still a fairly interesting point of speculation.

Are you asking for the ability to play songs, like say LotRO? Or is it more like, depending upon what Wyr you have slotted, you play different music?

I think the first is somewhat easier to implement than the second (if they want the second to be extensive). To program numerous musical genres for different Wyr combinations seems like a whole lot of work. LotRO already implemented the first option so we know that can be done.

I'm not asking for anything. I'm just wondering if everyone, from every city, race, and every class combo involving a Bard, will sound exactly the same. I was just thinking that it'd be interesting if they gave you a couple genres, or something... I don't know.

Yeah, sounds like he's talking about if one sort of bard would play classic while another would play heavy metal..

I'd be more interested in the LotR version than having things change depending on class/wyr combinations. That way, the person could chose themselves what they might want to play. Although it might all sound a little on the classical side, well..so do their instruments. You probably wouldn't be seeing an electric guitar in Elanthia.

I'm not asking for anything. I'm just wondering if everyone, from every city, race, and every class combo involving a Bard, will sound exactly the same. I was just thinking that it'd be interesting if they gave you a couple genres, or something... I don't know.

My bad. I worded my question wrong.

As a general rule, options are always better and I for one would like to see bards with different types of music. But if this is at the expense of taking resources away from more, shall we say, fundamental and essential aspects of the game, then I'd be content without it.

I'd like to see this game go live and minimizing optional stuff will help. :smiley:2

Hoping that some of the complexity found in the music system in DR is brought in some way to the HJ Bard.

play

PLAY: Instrumental Performances
To stop playing a song, use STOP PLAY.

Syntax: () indicates a required field. {} indicates an optional field.

PLAY (song) {mood} {ON} {instrument}
PLAY (Song) {mood} {ON} {instrument} FOR (TARGET)
PLAY /PERFORM (message)
To use this option, you must be already successfully playing a song.
If you aren't skillful enough for that song, /perform will not work.

Available Song types (from easiest to hardest):
scales (ruff), arpeggios (rudiments), ditty, folk, ballad, waltz, lullaby, march, jig, lament, wedding, hymn, rumba, polka, battle, reel, elegy, serenade, minuet, psalm, dirge, gavotte, tango, tarantella, bolero, nocturne, requiem, fantasia, rondo, aria, sonata, and concerto.

Note: For percussions, ruff and rudiments replace scales and arpeggios. You may use either version -- it will default to the correct type for the instrument.

Available Styles/Moods:
off-key, halting, confident, masterful, slow, loud, quiet, quick, fierce, flashy, playful, solemn, mournful, wistful, excited, haunting, romantic, and cheerful.

Off-key and halting styles will make all songs easier to play. Confident and masterful styles will make all songs more difficult to play.

Please be aware that not all 'moods' are compatible with all song types, and some combinations may result in unexpected play styles. In addition, certain combinations can make a particular song easier or more difficult to play. Except as noted above, this varies from song to song.

If something like this type of variety were incorporated, then the genres as you put it would be taken care of. That way, even two Bards from the same area could have enough personal choice over how they sound to be different.

Wyr influenced Bard tunes?

A great idea.

Especially if the song(s) then gives more or different bonuses to group combat. That way even the Bard's song choices could be considered 'tactical combat'.

Wyr and secondary classes influancing the style's the best idea that could ever be said for the bard class.

Just, ya know.. Ranger / Bards will be boy pop bands. Pally / Bards contemporary Christian. And our personal favorite.. Necro / Bards going all emo. Because you know, they both cry in the dark.

LoL Brilliant!

Bard/Gearknights=Techno Junkies. That, or that stuff where people bang on garbage cans and dance around on stage...

Bard/Gearknights=Techno Junkies. That, or that stuff where people bang on garbage cans and dance around on stage...

For some reason I had this image of Stomp and Blue Man Group running around in HJ.

...and I should be getting sleep now for that very reason.

Wyr and secondary classes influancing the style's the best idea that could ever be said for the bard class.

Just, ya know.. Ranger / Bards will be boy pop bands. Pally / Bards contemporary Christian. And our personal favorite.. Necro / Bards going all emo. Because you know, they both cry in the dark.

LoL Brilliant!

Took me agood hour to stop laughing at that.

And our personal favorite.. Necro / Bards going all emo. Because you know, they both cry in the dark.

I'm not sure Necromancers cry in the dark, but I figure that combo would sound more like Cradle of Filth (or other silly group similar to them, they just came to mind) than some Emo junk.

I'm not sure Necromancers cry in the dark, but I figure that combo would sound more like Cradle of Filth (or other silly group similar to them, they just came to mind) than some Emo junk.

Same. For some reason, I think Wizards would be the whiny ones... Maybe not full-blown Emo, though.

Grunge would be rouge / bard I'm certain. Cuz like, they just don't care.
I'm sticking with Necros and emo. Cuz of a VGCats comic strip.
Set to the tune of some lame ass Linkin' Park song..
"Crawlin in my robes, a potion has to heaaal..." Lovely stuff.

Back