Horror Mutant Chronicles (2008)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: Mutant Chronicles

Tagline: Welcome to the 23rd century. The new dark ages.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Horror, Science Fiction

Director: Simon Hunter

Cast: Ron Perlman, Thomas Jane, Devon Aoki, Sean Pertwee, Benno Fürmann, John Malkovich, Anna Walton, Tom Wu, Steve Toussaint, Luis Echegaray, Shauna Macdonald, Roger Ashton-Griffiths, Christopher Adamson, Jacqueline Chan, Nicholas Ball, Georgina Berriman, Georgina Bryce, Richard Buddle, Tim Daniel Clark, Vyelle Croom, Barry McCormick, Scott Joseph, Farhan Khan, Andrew Mackay, Tatiana Lavrentieva, Albert Tang, Pras Michel

Release: 2008-08-07

Runtime: 111

Plot: It's the year 2707. Earth's natural resources have all but been exhausted by mankind. Battles rage for the remainder between the competing Corporations. During one such battle the seal is broken and awakens an ancient and deadly machine that was once defeated thousands of years ago. The order that awaited its return must now lead a small group of soldiers to destroy it once and for all.
Mutant Chronicles (2008)

I saw it twice on the Sci-Fi channel.
I expected better, but that always seems to be the case. Never the less, it has/had possibilities.
Not totally unbearable, but I thought it had an original story. that with some invention and expansion could've been first rate.
More battles, better weapons, better monsters for starters.
I expected big things when I first heard of it, years back?
The English obsession with Nazi's, panzers, and trench warfare (complete with poison gas). poked out it's ugly head again.
The stars were OK, and the acting, not bad.
The coal fired, steam powered aircraft, the giant artillery (880's, sound familiar)(must have taken a day to load), and the spoke wheeled APC's were a bit much.
The story that the worlds leaders formed waring corporations (roller ball), and the resulting polluted desolation of their envisioned "Utopia", fighting for the Last of the worlds resources, is too close to reality.
Their utter failure was imminent and inevitable, and they (at least the one giving out the off-world passes), did not avoid and seemed to welcome his/their ... end.
A cleansing was/is coming, either by our choice or by a higher power.
Anyway, that's the message I got, whether or not it was the one they attempted to project.
I may buy it when the DVD hits the boom-boom rack (on the cheap).