TV My Nielsen Rating Packet

Tom

An Old Friend
Today I got a Nielsen Rating packet in the mail.
Along with promotional papers I got the prepaid return envelop, the survey and two one dollar bills.

I was expecting a list of major networks, A list of all the prime time shows and a list of time slots with a 1-5 rating for each. I even expected a place to write my own comments.

What I got was:

Do you watch tv? (I put YES)
What types of shows do you watch? (I put Scifi & Fantasy, Horror and some Crime Drama)
Do you own a DVR? (I put NO)
What is your age bracket? (I selected Over 50)
Are you of Hispanic Origin? ( I put NO)
What is your Nationality? ( I selected WHITE) They didn't offer "American"
Do you speak Spanish? (I put NO) [if NO please skip #8 and #9 and go directly to #10]
Do you have a Cell Phone? (I put YES)
Do you have a Landline based Phone? (I put NO)
May we call you for future surveys? Just provide your Number or email address in the spaces provided. Leave blank to not be contacted? (I left them BLANK)

Thats It.

Today I got a Nielsen Rating packet in the mail.
Along with promotional papers I got the prepaid return envelop, the survey and two one dollar bills.

I was expecting a list of major networks, A list of all the prime time shows and a list of time slots with a 1-5 rating for each. I even expected a place to write my own comments.

What I got was:

Do you watch tv? (I put YES)
What types of shows do you watch? (I put Scifi & Fantasy, Horror and some Crime Drama)
Do you own a DVR? (I put NO)
What is your age bracket? (I selected Over 50)
Are you of Hispanic Origin? ( I put NO)
What is your Nationality? ( I selected WHITE) They didn't offer "American"
Do you speak Spanish? (I put NO) [if NO please skip #8 and #9 and go directly to #10]
Do you have a Cell Phone? (I put YES)
Do you have a Landline based Phone? (I put NO)
May we call you for future surveys? Just provide your Number or email address in the spaces provided. Leave blank to not be contacted? (I left them BLANK)

Thats It.

You are clearly not in their target demographic (Hispanic)

I got another packet today. Opening it right...now....

First thing that fell out was two one dollar bills and a time change reminder.

I have in my hot little hand my TV Diary.
On the front it has in bold letters "Survey Starting Thursday October 29"
It is accompanied by a Questions and answers phamplet for the TV Diary.

There is a letter thanking me for my time and an explination of the two dollar gift for participation.

Oh wait, There are two diaries both with the same tracking number...Both of which are postage paid auto addressed. According to the instructions I have to write in the information for everything I view in that time slot for every TV, Hence the second diary. I am to record any viewing that is recorded while viewing or recorded for later viewing listed separately.

I do not get to just pick which shows I watch.

Opening the diary...
The beginning is a survey with multiple choice and "other-please explain" questions about my equipment, my reception service, how many people viewing, asks if I have a telephone landline, asks if I own my home, wants to know my race (opt out not available), is my receiver HD, is my service digital.

The log is separated by 15 minute marks for each hour starting at 3am for that day. (Thursday)
It has the following collumns; Current Hour/Time, Station or Channel Name, Channel number, Telecast date & time, Name of program or movie and blocks to tick for each viewer.
The last page ends at 2am for that day (Another Thursday)
On the last page you list all the shows that you recorded but did not watch with your VCR. A separate entry is given for DVR recordings.
Finally, It asks if there are any favorite shows or airings that you missed due to other obligations.

Okay Then, Thats the scoop.

Now for the difficulty...
I don't watch any tv, satellite or cable. I watch everything on the internet.
There is no entry for things watched on the internet.

Rather than send back a 'Does Not Apply' form. Here is YOUR chance to get your favorite TV Show or program a vote in the Neilsen Ratings. Tell me what to list as watched for which time spot and on which channel. I will do my best to find it in my local cable provider listings. If found, I will add it to the survey.

I know that lots of favorite scifi programs have been lost to surveys. Look at Firefly. Here is your chance to bump the results in your favor.

I have two shows I will certainly list.
Criminal Minds and The Big Bang Theory.
Others might be The Walking Dead, The Evening News, or any other program you like. In the event of an overlap, I will choose and I assure you I will choose a Scifi program over a reality show every time.

The diary starts Oct 29 at 3am CST because I am CST.

Sadly this is an American survey. Members from outside the states can still give me their choices and I will try to work in the local airing. Its important because these ratings determine whether a show will be picked up for another season. So even though you are out of country, you still may wish to see more of a show being made.

LETS DO THIS!

Last edited:
Hmmm, So far I have NOTHING written down in the ledger.
Guess I will send back and empty vote.
Thanx for the input - NOT

Have some fun, write in stuff like The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, and other old shows that have long been off the air. :whistle:

Back