Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

My Own Worst Enemy

Discussion in 'Television & Streaming' started by Tim, Oct 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

First episode of this new series just aired.

http://www.tv.com/My-Own-Worst-Enemy/show/75339/summary.html

The story unfolds in the first episode explaining everything, so I won't post it here. Just get it watched as it's almost novel enough to be worth the time spent.

Basically the show reminds me and a lot of others of the British scifi drama Jekyll, with James Nesbit. Two characters in one head, with the associated contact between the two being the same, even to the same cutting off of messages. It's almost like someone watched Jekyll and decided the premise would be good for a spy drama. But here Christian Slater, even with his character of old at work, doesn't quite (with the direction and filmography) reach the scary imagery of Nesbit's:Jekyll. But still, it has to be watched (at least the first episode) to see what has been done.

2. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

I caught this (don't blame me, the wife is a Slater fan) and while it was not a bad start it also did not make me think "Oooh, I have got to watch the next episode!" and so I don't even have it set to record on the DVR.

Of the two alter-egos, Edward Albright and Henry, I found the 'dark' side, Edward, to be the more interesting. Henry seemed just a bit too ready to accept the fact that he does not really exist and that he leads a double life. For a family man, Henry also did not seem too fazed about literally blowing up two bad guys so perhaps there is more Edward in Henry then there should be.

I suspect that this and the US remake of the Eleventh Hour will be amongst the first shows to be killed off this season.

3. Kevin

Looks like I was right about at least one of the shows...

From Wired:

4. astonwest

astonwest Writing Fool Writer

This show never really appealed to me...apparently I wasn't the only one.

5. Kevin

Even my wife, who is a big Slater fan, never liked it. She saw the premiere episode and that was enough for her.

I could see Slater doing any TV role as a dark character (ala "Edward") but this particular show just did not offer enough to keep viewers coming back. If it was a 2-hour TV movie aired during the holidays instead of a series, I think it would have garnered better results.