My SWG Saga

Ok, I keep hearing about some deadly patch that ruined SWG forever. I've never played SWG. Can somebody explain what happened?
I'm not going to dwell on this but i've never taken the opp to vent about it. Needless to say there is far more than words will allow to convey the totality of, and this will be my first and last vent (you're welcome). Here is brief summary of my experience of the SWG saga that still reverberates through the MMO comunity for those so interested.

You play a game for, in my case, 2 and a half years. Have characters, two mains that are well established, have homes, guilds, friends et all. Understand that your involvement with a game and the friends you've met after that length of time is *total*. Not to mention the people who played longer that that.

Company does Combat Upgrade (CU) which, if I remember correctly, comes across as an across the board nerf of all weaps and combat skills.

Then a bit later company decides to reduce the number of professions (yours included) from 29 to only 9. Yeah they killed 20 professions implementing a "New Game Experience" (NGE).

You log in to find that you *HAVE* to change professions, you do so only to find that you're now lvl 1 of that profession and have to re-roll your character up to lvl 90 i.e. start all over again along with a new UI and fewer character annimations. Even if your profession didn't see the chopping block you still had to re-roll it.

If you chose to do this your 'reward' [for $15.00 monthlyx30 months+$50.00 cost of game and time invested (lets not even count attachment to friends and gamestyle no matter which game) = $500.00] is a special title prefix of 'Elder' and maybe a few other trinkets. Other than that thanks for your dedication.

Although all the profesions were tough to some degree Jedi had a *REALLY* hard way to go to get there. They had to keep Mastering professions until they hit the randomized four of 29 (memory fading).

The only help they received to know which profession was next was from a mystical "Holocron" which could tell them which one to Master next. *IF* you were lucky enough to acquire them as needed.

As a result of that the market price for one was upwards of 15-30 million as they were very rare. Just like the profession. And every aspiring Jedi needed at least four so you had to grind up an alt profession to earn $$ to try to get them. Now, you can simply click on the profession to become one.

In two and a half years I saw Jedi 3 times. It was a real treat to see one then. So for a lot of people whatever the pricelees 'magic' is that any game developer seeks to incorporate; we had it. That's why its hard for me to find a game that I like and yes; its subjective to my experiences.

You can go over to Vanguard forums and there is a Corbantis Server thread there. It was the people more than anything else. There is no game that you will play for years to come that will not have former SWG people in it that are extremely fond of 'back in the day' because its not like the game fell out of favor over time.

It was simply taken midstream.

Call it "whinning", "remorse", wanting it back etc whatever... we simply were left wondering WTF???

The whole fiasco has become the MMO hallmark earthquake of what *NOT* to do to the illusive 'Trust' of a paying customer base. That alone should objectively tell you something.

There are three things you don't screw with... family, friends and, money. With SWG as pertaining the last two; many lost both.

Today numerous totally empty formerly player run cities dot every planet as a few noobs cluster at the major starports of the staple cities. They complain of the devs not removing these empty shells of SWG's former glory. I'll bet the number of players who merely check in via temporarily restablishing their accounts far outweighs those that are now active.

That's why the seeming empty cities and houses still stand.

There's probably still some fun to be had there but when I checked back it was like trying to ring a few drops of water from a dry towel. I earned enough to go to (what was) the top two active cities Theed and Corellia only to find two empty cantinas; the ramifications of which are ineffable.

"pre CU/NGE" which you may now faintly understand. Well its kind of our way of saying 'Before the f**k up'. lol!! It would be like seeing Heroes Hall members on other forums if this one was suddenly and drastically altered and many "old schoolers" abondoned it. We've seen good times (welcoming new members, in-fighting) and bad (forums were hacked) but we stuck it out. Its a kind of bond.

If you made it this far Thank You for listening. Because that's all i think we really wanted as it seems the agent provocateur of this still reverberating situation didn't/doesn't care one wit; leaving many no place to go and nothing to do but scream a metaphorical and literal 'FOUL' across the MMO landscape!!

There is nothing they can do about what transpired including classic servers and continually changing the forum format starting afresh to lessen the number of old school post. Which they've done for at least the third time since 'It' happened.

And that's about it. *shrug* I've moved on and would not do a classic server (which I saw in the works somewhere) or any other Sony MMO product.

But whether to commiserate or not I will ALWAYS give a shout out to those that were there pre CU/NGE.

That simply will never change.

Tempest/Sunrunner 4ever!!!

IT WAS HORRIBLE! The only thing that kept me going in SWG was TCO. But we were dieing off.. splitting off into other games as SWG slowly killed us off, one by one. It was so depressing. Nobody in TCO plays SWG any more.. and our WHOLE HISTORY is based on that game! Being the secret Rebel cell out of Tsarin, Talus. *shakes head* How did that game get so ----ed up. WHY did it get so ----ed up. The community there was tighter than any where else and it meant nothing to the Deve team.

I think you pretty muched summed up all my feelings about swg there thaos. It really was at one point a one of a kind experience and I still have yet to find an mmo with the enjoyment that I once had playing swg.

Wow....yes wow has been the closest I've found to that. I guess playing on a under populated more mature crowd server tends to weed out some of more noticable downsided parts of wow. But then again its not the same or better experience that I once had with swg.

So here's hoping to HJ will fill a void that used to be my favorite past time. Playing mmo's.

And what killed it? Sony's greed.

I actually know people who will defend Sony to the death on this, because they are addicted to ---- like EQ2 or Planetside and therefore it's impossible for their minds to comprehend anyone speaking badly towards SOE AT ALL, but that's just a bull---- state of mind that I wish they'd snap out of and join the real world.

Fact is, SWG had a small but INCREDIBLE fanbase. But that wasn't good enough for Sony; it wanted more. And in the bid to grab more, they let what they had slip through their fingers. Sad, sad, sad.

Fact is, SWG had a small but INCREDIBLE fanbase. But that wasn't good enough for Sony; it wanted more. And in the bid to grab more, they let what they had slip through their fingers.

Word.

Though dated this is about the most objective place for the general feel of things that i've found here at CBS Its a nice read and has further stuff here.

Anyways umm.. I'm like Leo *shakes head*.

If you google "smedley+swg" (without the quotes) and read even fractions of some of the articles its downright painful. It's as if there is a mental block or disconnect then and now between the voice of the players and SOE.

Imagine a ship is being blown all over the place with the captain(s) looking gleefully ahead promising to get the crew and passengers 'There' but refuses to turn around to hear their screams and to see them jumping off the ship in droves. i.e. 'The bliss of one's own ignorance.'

And its still going on.

My stepfather took the NGE rather hard, as he was a CH. I was pissed and I still am to an extent. But, my stepfather would still probably beat any SOE-SWG exec he could get his hands on.
....which wouldn't ordinarily be much of a threat from a gaming geek, if he weren't for the fact that he is a retired SeAL with PTSD...

Company does Combat Upgrade (CU) which, if I remember correctly, comes across as an across the board nerf of all weaps and combat skills.
Plus Jedi couldnt wear armor anymore nooooooooooo ... levels implemented here

Then a bit later company decides to reduce the number of professions (yours included) from 29 to only 9. Yeah they killed 20 professions implementing a "New Game Experience" (NGE).

6 months later plus it was just after the new expansion, Trials of Obi-Wan that this so called New Game Experience came out and in this created controvery because people bought the expansion for new items for their professions and then they changed the game system the next day! Law suits ran the fourms everywhere....

You log in to find that you *HAVE* to change professions, you do so only to find that you're now lvl 1 of that profession and have to re-roll your character up to lvl 90 i.e. start all over again along with a new UI and fewer character annimations. Even if your profession didn't see the chopping block you still had to re-roll it.

True to some extent... Crafters got the hard end of this because they never got levels in the CU because the only way to get levels was through combat profession but they still had used up all their skill points (Used for new skills whether it was crafting or combat). So they started out as level 1 even though they were considered a fully grown main character. Combat character on the other hand who had a full combat character started out as level 80 and needed to grind 10 levels to 90.

If you chose to do this your 'reward' [for $15.00 monthlyx30 months+$50.00 cost of game and time invested (lets not even count attachment to friends and gamestyle no matter which game) = $500.00] is a special title prefix of 'Elder' and maybe a few other trinkets. Other than that thanks for your dedication.

Eww dont forget the stupid ADK.... Anti Decay Kits although they came sooner in the game.. Patch 19 I believe economy went 15mil up because of that.

Although all the profesions were tough to some degree Jedi had a *REALLY* hard way to go to get there. They had to keep Mastering professions until they hit the randomized four of 29 (memory fading).
Actually it was even harder 6 of 29....this was Pre-Patch 9 btw... almost 3 years ago now

The only help they received to know which profession was next was from a mystical "Holocron" which could tell them which one to Master next. *IF* you were lucky enough to acquire them as needed.

Ok for light Jedi you needed Holocron for dark there was the Sith Holocron (One blue and rectangular and one triangular and red). How it would work is that it would tell you 5 of the 6 professions that you needed to grind but the sixth one you would be left out in the dark and you have to grind all 29 professions until you find the lucky one. And yes they would be in a randomized order so holocron 3 could be the blind one. My blind one was Master Architect. Holocrons and Sith Holocrons actually were not that hard to aquire if you went to the Jedi Enclave on Dathomir, when people gave up it was because of the blind one for they have to remaster basically ever profession which was a pain but it made jedi rare.

As a result of that the market price for one was upwards of 15-30 million as they were very rare. Just like the profession. And every aspiring Jedi needed at least four so you had to grind up an alt profession to earn $$ to try to get them. Now, you can simply click on the profession to become one.
Acutually I believe that they were only 1-2mil pre-patch 9 which went down to 500k in the CU when they were used to fully regen once force bar (needed for all jedi attacks) and you could only use one evey 24 hours.

In two and a half years I saw Jedi 3 times. It was a real treat to see one then. So for a lot of people whatever the pricelees 'magic' is that any game developer seeks to incorporate; we had it. That's why its hard for me to find a game that I like and yes; its subjective to my experiences.

In the 3 and a half years that I played I probably saw up to 500 different jedi's (including me). Pre-Patch 9 I was maybe 20 Jedi including myself again but they were rare as you say and a sweet treat to those people who aspired to be one. What changed this? The combat Upgrade Publish 9, which implemented a thing called a Villiage. What would happen is that every character could easily become force sensitive by doing a couple quests and opening a force sensitive tree. Then one had to grind the xp out in those boxes until you reached the entire tree but the experience was 1 to 10 to normal xp however that did not make it hard. Everyone to become a jedi knew that the way was to get to Master Commando and throw grenades at liars same ones over and over again... why? beause grenades had a conversion xp of 4 to 1 and grenades were an aoe attack. Anyways there were limits you could only recieve a quest to open a tree once evey week which basically meant that most people aquiered jedi in 6 weeks (The hard core grinders). It made it too easy not maybe because of the grind difference but becuase of the patience, suddenly jedi became something that could be expected and not something that you cant see comming. Anyways the process after that was the same as an Old Man came to visit you and gave you a new title Jedi Initiate (No jedi attacks here yet plus you were very vunrable to Bount Hunter's) and a waypoint (coordinates) to a trianer who will led you to becomming a Jedi Padawan. This trainer could be any normal trainer such as a Bounty Hunter trainer, a Creature Handle, an Artisan trainer etc... Although I was on a populated server called Corbantis not as heavily as Bria (which got shutdown because of too many people) but there was a good amount of people which could be the reason why I saw so many jedi plus I was a jedi myself so I had some contact =). And Jedi did not like to see associate for one of two reasons - They were a young padawan (Not Jedi Knight Yet) and they didnt want visibility so that BH's would be after them or because they didnt want nagging and annoying people who would beg for money, items etc...

You can go over to Vanguard forums and there is a Corbantis Server thread there. It was the people more than anything else. There is no game that you will play for years to come that will not have former SWG people in it that are extremely fond of 'back in the day' because its not like the game fell out of favor over time.
Couldnt agree more with you there... is that why you made this thread?

It was simply taken midstream.

Call it "whinning", "remorse", wanting it back etc whatever... we simply were left wondering WTF???

The whole fiasco has become the MMO hallmark earthquake of what *NOT* to do to the illusive 'Trust' of a paying customer base. That alone should objectively tell you something.
SOE had this revolutionary idea of listening to its subcribers 100% but with and alpha class this only made tension between classes especially between Bounty Hunters and Jedi. Well what basically happened was that BH's and Jedis were at a constant fight over power which led to the first Combat Upgrade.This made Jedi weaker but now they had a new problem, they were still stronger and there were too many of them. Lucas Art step'd in and said that unless this would be resolved they would but matters into their own hands and they already started building the New Game Improvment without basically knowing anything about the current game. SOE on the other hand thought about solutions and the only thing that they thought would work was Perma Death which was in the game before Pre-Patch 9 (actually way before that even before I was a jedi) and what it was is that if you died 3 times your character would be lost forever. 6months to a years work gone in a flash, this back then made a lot of contervery as well and because SOE were such good listners they removed perma death and gave everyones jedi back (yaya). So their only solution could not be implemented for it was against the community and so Lucas Arts took over with the NGE.... I for one would of rather had the CU and Perma Death rather than the NGE.

Today numerous totally empty formerly player run cities dot every planet as a few noobs cluster at the major starports of the staple cities. They complain of the devs not removing these empty shells of SWG's former glory. I'll bet the number of players who merely check in via temporarily restablishing their accounts far outweighs those that are now active.

That's why the seeming empty cities and houses still stand.

There's probably still some fun to be had there but when I checked back it was like trying to ring a few drops of water from a dry towel. I earned enough to go to (what was) the top two active cities Theed and Corellia only to find two empty cantinas; the ramifications of which are ineffable.
Ya the game is empty now and they really could just emerge all the servers into one and still not be full. The only thing that would still be fun in that game would probably be Jump To Lightspeed because nothing has changed.

"pre CU/NGE" which you may now faintly understand. Well its kind of our way of saying 'Before the f**k up'. lol!! It would be like seeing Heroes Hall members on other forums if this one was suddenly and drastically altered and many "old schoolers" abondoned it. We've seen good times (welcoming new members, in-fighting) and bad (forums were hacked) but we stuck it out. Its a kind of bond.

If you made it this far Thank You for listening. Because that's all i think we really wanted as it seems the agent provocateur of this still reverberating situation didn't/doesn't care one wit; leaving many no place to go and nothing to do but scream a metaphorical and literal 'FOUL' across the MMO landscape!!

There is nothing they can do about what transpired including classic servers and continually changing the forum format starting afresh to lessen the number of old school post. Which they've done for at least the third time since 'It' happened.

I read all SWG related posts these days, some for a fun laugh becuase they have everything totally wrong and some to bring back some happy memories.

And that's about it. *shrug* I've moved on and would not do a classic server (which I saw in the works somewhere) or any other Sony MMO product.

But whether to commiserate or not I will ALWAYS give a shout out to those that were there pre CU/NGE.

That simply will never change.

Well I might try a new SOE product int he future, and hopefully they have learnt from the past but history tends to repeat intself. Hey by the way, only pre cu/nge people? What about pre patch 9 lol

Tempest/Sunrunner 4ever!!!

Corbantis 4ever!!!! and my guild Dragons Knights which is still strong from SWG (5years old now =)))

Anyways if you want a good summary of Star Wars Galaxies where else to turn but wikipedia? Star Wars Galaxies - Wikipedia

And what killed it? Sony's greed.

I actually know people who will defend Sony to the death on this, because they are addicted to ---- like EQ2 or Planetside and therefore it's impossible for their minds to comprehend anyone speaking badly towards SOE AT ALL, but that's just a bull---- state of mind that I wish they'd snap out of and join the real world.

Fact is, SWG had a small but INCREDIBLE fanbase. But that wasn't good enough for Sony; it wanted more. And in the bid to grab more, they let what they had slip through their fingers. Sad, sad, sad.

I do not know if it was Sony's greed because why would they wanna kill the game and loose all its players if they wanted the money? I think it was because they listened way too much to its subscribers which only led to one problem after the other. Which I guess you could argue that they did to make people happy so that they would spend their money at SOE and that Lucas Arts destoyed their plan.

Yep, that sums up about the last 3 years of my life.. if they wanted Jedi to be rare.. they shouldn't have made Jedi at all. Plain and simple. That ruined the game. I mean all the patches in the las year were geared at Jedi and BHs only and look at all the damn Jedi felgercarb on Mustafar. They should have just chose Original Triology with no Jedi or KOTOR with nothing but Jedi. Way to go SOE.

Well if they would have listened to us on the pre-launch forums.. I mean Rob (blur) was consistently reminding everyone that Jedi were going to ruin the game.. five years later...what do you know, Jedi DID ruin the game.

Back