My SWG Saga

Well some people would say that the cartoon graphics enhance the fantasy type feel, and as for the immaturity of people, there will be those types in every game. You just see them more often in WOW because they have the most subscribers of any other mmo, over 8million and with that many you cant argue that it has gone wrong. Hmm btw any questions about what I wrote im suprised it went so easy... lol

6 months later plus it was just after the new expansion, Trials of Obi-Wan that this so called New Game Experience came out and in this created controvery because people bought the expansion for new items for their professions and then they changed the game system the next day! Law suits ran the fourms everywhere....

oh yeah I remember that now. Didn't get the expansions, 'cept JTL. And thanks for the corrections on some of the details. Like I said, memory fading.

True to some extent... Crafters got the hard end of this because they never got levels in the CU because the only way to get levels was through combat profession but they still had used up all their skill points (Used for new skills whether it was crafting or combat). So they started out as level 1 even though they were considered a fully grown main character. Combat character on the other hand who had a full combat character started out as level 80 and needed to grind 10 levels to 90.

Ah... see, last year I took one of my lesser non-Mastered characters (had at least 5) and played around for a bit just to see what was going on. I never touched (still haven't) my precious mains. And never will as a result of what I saw. I like to think that I have the last true Teras Kasi and Doctor. They are forever in hybernation just as they were before CU/NGE and I just can't bring myself to kill them off like that.

Actually it was even harder 6 of 29....this was Pre-Patch 9 btw... almost 3 years ago now

You know, if you count the base starting professions there were actually 32 of them... check the list on the right side of this page. Sounds structurally kind of lke HJ with 9 starting classes from which you developed further specialization.

Ok for light Jedi you needed Holocron for dark there was the Sith Holocron (One blue and rectangular and one triangular and red). How it would work is that it would tell you 5 of the 6 professions that you needed to grind but the sixth one you would be left out in the dark and you have to grind all 29 professions until you find the lucky one. And yes they would be in a randomized order so holocron 3 could be the blind one. My blind one was Master Architect. Holocrons and Sith Holocrons actually were not that hard to aquire if you went to the Jedi Enclave on Dathomir, when people gave up it was because of the blind one for they have to remaster basically ever profession which was a pain but it made jedi rare.

Oh yes... now I remember. I can vividly recall thinking f-dat to myself when I realized the scope of it. That was my deciding moment when considering it and decided *not* to go after it. I also remember having the feeling that it would be something that would've totally taken away for me actually enjoying what was already there otherwise.

Acutually I believe that they were only 1-2mil pre-patch 9 which went down to 500k in the CU when they were used to fully regen once force bar (needed for all jedi attacks) and you could only use one evey 24 hours.

Yep... though I do still remember being shocked at a 15mil price for one. Maybe on a vendor.. you remember peeps used to store stuff on their vendor and set a ridiculos price so because they were just storing it? Maybe that was the case.

And I do remember the bottom falling out on that market. Never will forget shoping and seeing some 30 holos stacked from floor to ceiling at the end of one of those hallways before you had to turn right or left in a medium Naboo home.

In the 3 and a half years that I played I probably saw up to 500 different jedi's (including me). Pre-Patch 9 I was maybe 20 Jedi including myself again but they were rare as you say and a sweet treat to those people who aspired to be one.

Well unanounced to you it wasn't just those who aspired to be one that found them a sweet treat to see. It was hot stuff regardless imho.

Couldnt agree more with you there... is that why you made this thread?

No. I honestly had never posted anything anywhere about it and someone asked what happened to the game. So I tried to crunch as much as I could in as little space as I could to hopefully convey at least an idea.

I for one would of rather had the CU and Perma Death rather than the NGE.

Permadeath was just plain wrong. There's no other way to put it.

I read all SWG related posts these days, some for a fun laugh becuase they have everything totally wrong and some to bring back some happy memories.

Ditto on that. Just kind of peek in now and again 'cause it's still real easy to get re-frustrated. Especially when those who have the 'Official Word' start talking. It's still vacuous 'up there'. Ship with no rudder.

Well I might try a new SOE product int he future, and hopefully they have learnt from the past ...

No. Just plain 'no'. Furt... those people have no idea what they're dong up there.

They released another unfinished product on the market... Vanguard should've been in beta for another 6 months... I'll bet they already have the forth coming patches etc that will emplement changes to gameplay as they work out current bugs. There's not even an official message board heading for 'General/Game Play Discussion' because they're already starting over with the same BS.

Don't go back there Furt.. stay as far away from there as possible.

You know, if you count the base starting professions there were actually 32 of them...

Yes there were 32 Pre-Cu but not pre-patch 9... You cant include jedi, for thats what you were reaching for lol. Then there is shipwright and believe there is one more that I just cant recall right now.

Yep... though I do still remember being shocked at a 15mil price for one. Maybe on a vendor.. you remember peeps used to store stuff on their vendor and set a ridiculos price so because they were just storing it? Maybe that was the case.

Or maybe you were thinking of premium pearls that droped from krayts Pre-CU. After the CU the krayts did not drop them anymore but people who still had a few of them became incredibly rich for there was a rising number of jedi who wanted awsome lightsabers. Premium Pearls sold for about 15 to 20mil and flawless were 30 to 40 mil. Then again you could also be talking about ADK (Anti Decay Kits) that sold for 15 to 17mil.

And I do remember the bottom falling out on that market. Never will forget shoping and seeing some 30 holos stacked from floor to ceiling at the end of one of those hallways before you had to turn right or left in a medium Naboo home.

Sounds like my house... it was really decked out.

Permadeath was just plain wrong. There's no other way to put it.
Why? because thats the way the game was origionaly built or because it ruins everything one has worked for? (I believe in option #2)

No. Just plain 'no'. Frut... those people have no idea what they're dong up there.

They released another unfinished product on the market... Vanguard should've been in beta for another 6 months... I'll bet they already have the forth coming patches etc that will emplement changes to gameplay as they work out current bugs. There's not even an official message board heading for 'General/Game Play Discussion' because they're already starting over with the same BS.

Don't go back there Frut.. stay as far away from there as possible.

I don't look at the past but rather at the future. You also have to realize that SOE is not in charge of the development of Vanguard but rather Sigil Games. SOE is the customer service, networking (basically the servers) and all the billing and that felgercarb. That was different from SWG where SOE acutally had their hands dirty in the coding and programming with the help of Lucas Arts. I'm not saying that I will try another SOE product but giving some hope and not expecting anything from them can prove something remarkable. I mean that Hero's Journey for example, its a great game, with great concepts and ideas, but they have never been int he realm of mmorpg's before and the extensive networking, customer service that is needed. Yes they have a MUD but how many players do they have there? A couple thousand? What about an mmorpg that will attract hundreds of thousands! What if they turn towards a company who has had a lot of experience in this gendre of publishing games before, what about SOE? Would you not play Hero's Journey anymore even though the game is everything that you have dreamt of, but is published by a company that you hated 6 years ago. Time passes, things change and after all the mmorpg industry is very new and all publishers, game developers, and gamers alike are learning something new that they are venturing into.

Why? because thats the way the game was origionaly built or because it ruins everything one has worked for? (I believe in option #2)

lol... no fair. You can't ask a question with the answer.

I mean that Hero's Journey for example, its a great game, with great concepts and ideas, but they have never been int he realm of mmorpg's before and the extensive networking, customer service that is needed. Yes they have a MUD but how many players do they have there? A couple thousand? What about an mmorpg that will attract hundreds of thousands!

Remains to be seen I guess. But i'll give HJ the initial crest of my trust before i knowingly re-give it to SOE despite whatever flaws may come. We'll chalk it up to the Zodiac... i'm Scorpio i.e everything starts off at 100% - it gets chipped away from there - but getting back to 100 is a bi**ch. Permadeath for SOE. Wonder how they like it?

I'm like any other consumer... I talk with my wallet and feet... if it ain't happen' I'm gone. HJ will be no different.

What if they turn towards a company who has had a lot of experience in this gendre of publishing games before, what about SOE? Would you not play Hero's Journey anymore even though the game is everything that you have dreamt of, but is published by a company that you hated 6 years ago.

Tough decision. Not prepared to answer it. It would be very tough to decided on that one. I don't "hate" them. I just don't think that they know/knew what they're doing. Hopefully lesson learned across the board...

-not a good idea to sell an expansion pack for a game for which you've suddenly fundamentally changed thus invalidatiing the expansion pack you just sold.

-not a good idea to give what 12 days notice that 20 or so professions would be eliminated.

-not a good idea to institue a penalty that would completely erase all of the time/$$ invested in developing a character (permadeath). Its a longer list to be sure.

There were tons of people with like 2-4 different accounts in that game because you couldn't have two chars on the same server account. Can you imagine? Swoop... can't have that... pick these. I know you've heard "Wait; lemme go get my alt for that!" Right?

I honestly think it was a learning experience - had that whole Bell Curve thing goin'.

I can understand and forgive a couple errors here and there like anyone else but they were like the Energizer Bunny of Tweakdom. The mistakes just kept comin' one right after the other and even overlapping.

Time passes, things change and after all the mmorpg industry is very new and all publishers, game developers, and gamers alike are learning something new that they are venturing into.

Agreed to some extent. Heck we've got people who've grown up with MMOs now. But here is what I think is going to make a significant difference:

There is in HE the "DreamManager". Scroll down and read the third sentence and following two paragraphs starting with " ... focuses on organizing you engineers, developers, designers, QA ..." etc. This is what I think was the crucial problem with SWG. Things weren't comin' down or goin' up the pipe properly and that traversed the gap to the customer as unorganized confusion as well.

There's stuff in there about managing Server Clusters, back end office billing etc. Point is: This is the best effort i've seen at putting every aspect of running an MMO under one roof all "in house". Clamps all aspects under pertinent control. Even if something needs to be outsourced pop a copy on the contracter's PC, train, throw in a T1 and BAM!!! Instant communication across the building or globe. I don't think the brochure conveys how robust it may really be.

This appealed to me as a serious effort to earn my $$ moreso than anything else because it's going to help them keep their shizzle together. Which will then hopefully transfer to my sense of the game overall in the form of a sustained account given minor blips on the radar. See?

Hey but this is fun... I can write about something I acutally know something about lol besides the quotes are getting smaller and smaller...

-not a good idea to sell an expansion pack for a game for which you've suddenly fundamentally changed thus invalidatiing the expansion pack you just sold.

-not a good idea to give what 12 days notice that 20 or so professions would be eliminated.
Doesnt Lucas Arts get some of the blame for this? They were the ones who forced SOE to changed the gameplay once more because they did not like how the CU was being runned. Lucas Arts was the one who came up with this New Game Improvement and annocned its publish after SOE had already shipped out its final verison of the expansion pack. As far as the professions, yes SOE might had said that they were going to cut 20 odd professions but it was Lucas Arts ruling with a Big Stick.
-not a good idea to institue a penalty that would completely erase all of the time/$$ invested in developing a character (permadeath). Its a longer list to be sure.
Hmm well you can think whatever you want about it but there were different types of permadeaths that were considered. One being that you simple have three deaths and then you loose your character (which I believe was ruled out quite quickly) and the Second where after three deaths you would have a perma death of 24-48 hours after 3 deaths of a Bounty Hunter. Well they didnt implement any of these and considering you do not like Perma Death, which actually I am not too fond of either, arnt you starting to like SOE again for doing so? LOL
There were tons of people with like 2-4 different accounts in that game because you couldn't have two chars on the same server account. Can you imagine? Swoop... can't have that... pick these. I know you've heard "Wait; lemme go get my alt for that!" Right?
I have to give you that one plus only Jedi could have alts on the same server on the same account. That was a SOE flaw in their design but it isnt a major devestating factor if you know what I mean.

I can understand and forgive a couple errors here and there like anyone else but they were like the Energizer Bunny of Tweakdom. The mistakes just kept comin' one right after the other and even overlapping.

Still why does all the blame wfall upon SOE? Still dont understand.

This appealed to me as a serious effort to earn my $$ moreso than anything else because it's going to help them keep their shizzle together. Which will then hopefully transfer to my sense of the game overall in the form of a sustained account given minor blips on the radar. See?

Well cant argue with you here, as I said before all of us are learning the mmo industry and new improvement are made everyday whether its in organization, managment, billing or just general game play. Six years can make a huge difference no matter what industry your working in.

Man this quote war sure is fun. LOL

Hey but this is fun... I can write about something I acutally know something about lol besides the quotes are getting smaller and smaller...

Doesnt Lucas Arts get some of the blame for this? They were the ones who forced SOE to changed the gameplay once more because they did not like how the CU was being runned. Lucas Arts was the one who came up with this New Game Improvement and annocned its publish after SOE had already shipped out its final verison of the expansion pack. As far as the professions, yes SOE might had said that they were going to cut 20 odd professions but it was Lucas Arts ruling with a Big Stick.

Hmm well you can think whatever you want about it but there were different types of permadeaths that were considered. One being that you simple have three deaths and then you loose your character (which I believe was ruled out quite quickly) and the Second where after three deaths you would have a perma death of 24-48 hours after 3 deaths of a Bounty Hunter. Well they didnt implement any of these and considering you do not like Perma Death, which actually I am not too fond of either, arnt you starting to like SOE again for doing so? LOL

I have to give you that one plus only Jedi could have alts on the same server on the same account. That was a SOE flaw in their design but it isnt a major devestating factor if you know what I mean.

Well cant argue with you here, as I said before all of us are learning the mmo industry and new improvement are made everyday whether its in organization, managment, billing or just general game play. Six years can make a huge difference no matter what industry your working in.

Man this quote war sure is fun. LOL

I win

ya, he's got info I need atm. Some kind of 'closure' for me so just hang for a sec. It's like two old guys sittin' on a park bench yabbin' over some past event is all and one of them is still a bit confused (Me) about those 'ol days.

Firstly thanks for clearing up the Lucas Arts/SOE thing, lemme get this straight:

-SOE does CU: backlash brings in Lucus Arts
-Lucas Arts does NGE
-which gets more backlash
-NGE overlaps already shipped SOE expansion
-resulting in even further backlash

Is that right?

To try to answer the above specifially: SOE was the Name and Brand associated with the game from day one. Billing, Knowledgebase, Support, Forums etc all were done through them. That's where you turned for questions and answers to problems. So when things went bad that's where the finger got pointed.

Apparently Lucas Arts initially kept the usual low profile that can come with liscensing, until something goes wrong. When they did step in they overwhelmed the cookie jar. Interesting. No wonder it felt like one departmental hand didn't know what the other was doing. Thanks for the clarity.

A power play by Lucas Arts (NGE) that was the result of dissatifaction with an upgrade by SOE (CU) which overlapped an SOE expansion (Trails of Obi-Wan) and the original impetus (CU) could've simply been rolled back. Nice.

There were undoubtably some who saw this before and during the course of it happening but I would gather that most customers just saw drastic game changes after the fact. Seems many subscribers were the last to know. Which is the bad part.

Star Wars Galaxies was destroyed by the New Game Experience. LucasArts was responsible for the NGE.

The Combat Upgrade wasn't that bad, honestly. It changed a lot of things, but it wasn't the "universal nerf" that a lot of players claimed.

Interesting Tidbit
There exists a project to reverse engineer pre-CU SWG and release it as a freeware game. However, "SWGEmu" as it's called seems to have stalled due to infighting.

yeah prolly so...

Hmmm... I think there's more than one of these goin?? Anyways... a supposed undated preview.

Latest news on the SWGEmu: There was a stress test on the 16th, and 278 players logged on to a temporarily-live server. Very feature limited, but apparently there was very little lag even during the most server-intensive point in the test.

Another stress test is scheduled for tomorrow night (Friday 23rd) at 5:30 PM EST.

There is hope afterall...

well... I'm scared... horrified in fact.. *trembles*

*bites nails*
*rolls widened eyes*

I think its cursed *pant*. A mutant demon child that posesses you... shows you some allure untill you're hooked *pant pant*...:-s

...then spits you out like some wretched piece of chewing tobacco *shiver*...

meh...I was just practicing my 'Ol Man routine for HJ RP.

But this was interesting.

Back