My weapon: My choice or yours?

Daax

Cadet
Question: Just how expansive is our choices of weapons gonna be? And just how many different weapon types will we be able to choose from? I ask this because I'm so sick of every game out there only having the small choice of weapons they give you, and even then there are only certain ones you can use for your class.

In Hero's Journey, I want to be to be a single knife weilding warrior if I so choose, or a rogue weilding an axe, or a shield toting wizard.

I don't really expect you guys to add silly things such as spatulas, eggbeaters, and back scratchers, but I do expect some things that go beyond the old cookie cutter games, such as scythes, fist gauntlets, claws, and many other things people can think of. And many here will say "BUT THIS IS A MEDIVAL BASED GAME!!!! WE CAN'T HAVE ALL THOSE WEIRD WEAPONS!!!" Well, I see this as a FANTASY game. And fantasy is not bound by the laws of the European history. But I REALLY REALLY want a broad selection of choices and have full control over what type I can use, regardless of my class.

And I know many of you have seen me sweat over this 10'000 times now but the topic of weapons is one of the single-handed most important aspects of any game to me.

I beleive that you will be able to have any weapon of choice. From a staff, to a broad sword. The choice is yours no mater what the class. Hopefully that helps you out :smiley:

One reason I ended up playing EQ2 as long as I did was because of one of the weapons I ended up getting via lewt. It was a spear complete with feathers. That weapon took me through some ten levels but I loved the way it looked strapped to my characters back.

If they have, and I find, one of those and you can wear it automatically or with like a /show weapon command that would be sweet. So ya; give me a spear or long bow stick/staff and i'll be good to go.

I think thaos is right. No limitations of weapons due to race and size in most rpg games really does make the game experience much better.

Complete freedom will take some getting used to. I have played so many games where a wizard carried a staff or dagger, a warrior got the big two-handed sword and a rogue got the rapier. I do like the flexibility.

So is this mainly cosmetics or is this in function also? If I am a wizard, with a big two-handed sword, will I actually be capable of defending myself with this sword or is it just "Look at my big shiny sword with the sparkles and stop hitting me with your big axe!"?

Being able to actually use the weapon rather than just having it for show would be great. I think it should just be based off of your stats, rather than any certain race or guild having a advantage towards certain weapons. Size of the sword used tho should be realistic. (No dwarfs with 8 foot long swords)

Weapon scaling should be in effect so that players who like short toons arent limited. And i agreee, i dont want to be told what weapons to use. I like final fantasy because the the game sticks to fantasy, using swords, guns modern technology mixed with medievil, even some interesting hybrid weapons.

Now, im waiting to see how Hj handles custom weapons, personally i dont care to change my weapon every 3 levels, provided my weapon is something i can live with, i wanna see how much customization i can do with my weapon, if i want a japanesse Katana, will i be able to create one, or will i have some odd europeon ruleset imposed on the game world.

I hope once beta starts players push for as much customization as possible, so we arent limited at all. I always see people talk about certain weapons being out of place, but whos to say what is or isnt in place in a fantasy game?

Aye, I'm hoping there's a way to slider and click to make our weapons look how we want. I don't care if they are just generic (long sword) I'd like the opp to adjust it.. Is it a Spanish looking longsword with a cross hilt? A basket hilt? A sweeping blade? A blood groove? Serratted edges? Black with glowing purple lights? I don't think it'd matter what choices would be there, just as long as there's some choices.

Know what'd be cool? A Hook-knife thingy. By that I mean, like, if you stuck a knife blade on the back end of a gaff, so that the hook was on one end, and the knife was on the other. Yeah...

Now, on to things that actually might happen... Well, it'd be cool if you were given a choice of different woods for the handles of your weapons. You know, like, axes and spears and stuff. Sure, it'd be mainly cosmetic, but it'd still be pretty cool.

There should also be a wide variety of blades to choose from. Maybe I want my spear to have a split blade, so it's like two single edged knives, backs faced toward each other, strapped to the end of a pole, or something... I don't but, ya know... someone might. Plus, it'd be cool if you could put stylized holes or engravings on the blades. Maybe you have a falchion or something with a hole through the blade, and you have a beaded string with a feather on it tied through that hole. Might be interesting...

Ok, now back onto the abnormal weapons thingy... Bladed bracers would be sweet. Hell, any time you get to use a bracer as a weapon, it's sweet. I mean, getting smacked with a forearm just looks degrading. :D So, yeah, if I could have just one abnormal-type weapon of my choosing added in, I'd have to choose a Bracer/Shin Guard combo. Of course, they'f also cover your elbows and knees, that way you could elbow/knee someone in the face. Ah, good times... :smiley: (Also, maybe they wouldn't be quite as strong offensively, but they'd add a little defense or something. Well, I don't think this game really worksa like that, just a thought, since these things are usually armor.)

Another interesting weapon would be a back mounted mini-balista. Maybe you'd have to be a certain strength to carry it, but it'd basicly be like a way more powerful crossbow, and it might take two people to shoot it accurately. You know, some Tog with the mini-balista on his back kneels down, a Qwi runs up, aims the thing, shoots a little spear/huge arrow strait through a Ukar, pinning him to the wall, or something. Ok, I know it wouldn't be introduced, but it's just a thought on abnormal weapons...

Weapons that rely on the feet, as opposed to the hands, would also be an interesting addition. Maybe spiked boots, or a spiked glove/boot combo. I know this is similar to my Bracer/Shin Guard thing, but it's a little different, and not quite so awesome...

Ooh, and gearknights could have a little wind-up car bomb-thingy. Like, wind it up, set it down, let it run into a group of enemies and explode. Maybe it'd have, like, a thirty second timer on it, or something... Sweet.

Plus, there should be plenty of natural looking weapons. Maybe, like, a glove wrapped in a rose vine, or something.

Weapons that are everyday items would be kind of cool, too. You know, like, a chain with shackles could be a weapons. Or, *gasp!* a chair could be used as a club, or something.

Thaos Nightwind said:
One reason I ended up playing EQ2 as long as I did was because of one of the weapons I ended up getting via lewt. It was a spear complete with feathers. That weapon took me through some ten levels but I loved the way it looked strapped to my characters back.

If they have, and I find, one of those and you can wear it automatically or with like a /show weapon command that would be sweet. So ya; give me a spear or long bow stick/staff and i'll be good to go.

I'm with you on this one... In EQ2 I had a monk, and I loved the monk's when they fought with a staff. The fighting style and motions were very realistic, and the staff itself, if you found a good one, looked amazing on their back as you ran around.

mmm... now i want to reopen my EQ2 account, hehe.

~ Jaraeth

Er, yeah... You should be able to see the character's equipted items on them. Guess I kind of forgot to agree with that bit when I made my post...

How about when you go to buy a weapon from an NPC, you don't just buy a pre-made weapon for you. Let's say when you go to buy that weapon, you have a little screen just like the character creation screen that allows you to customize little details about your weapon.

Daax said:
How about when you go to buy a weapon from an NPC, you don't just buy a pre-made weapon for you. Let's say when you go to buy that weapon, you have a little screen just like the character creation screen that allows you to customize little details about your weapon.

You know Daax... I really like that idea :cool:

/sign'ed

~ Jaraeth

Daax said:
good idea

Daax said:

Thats how i hope it works. Maybe not ever npc, maybe you buy from the weapon merchent, but you gotta take it to the blacksmith/player run blacksmith to change parts. That would be cool, as long as players have some suggestion as to the weapon attachments availible, maybe draw their ideas and upload them on the forums, and then devs can decide what works and what doesnt and then model them and put them in game.

Something like that would warrent a higher then usual monthly payment.

I could see this idea being implemented, but possibly only through GM special merchants or alteration merchants. Its how Simu has done it in their previous games to provide greater customisation while still allowing them some control over the 'realism' and 'suitable for this world' factor.

Back