Name one MMORPG experiance that you enjoyed!

F

frostydf2

I want to hear what everyone has to say on this. Share a memory, relax a bit, and tell us something that you enjoyed, and have a memory of in a previous MMORPG.

For me it was Lineage 2. We held a room in Kruma tower for over a week now, and now it was time for me to hit level 40 finnally. So I was in the same party for 8 hours (some people switched in and out), but it was really fun. It was fast paced, killing mobs constantly in the room, and it took the entire team to take it out. People were always constantly doing something, and it was just some jam-packed fun.

That was one of my memories, tell me yours!

Hmm...

Finally reaching LV75 in FFXI with my MNK is one of them since I played through a time when people thought MNKs were the crappiest DDs.

and my other would definitely be finally getting that damn Lu Shangs fishing rod. Oh how I loved that rod. Gave it to my friend after I quit.... she better be taking care of it....

Nope. Not a one.

Well... SWG until Combat "Upgrade". The moment I hopped in my z95 and blew up some TIE fighters. Ah, blowing up TIE fighters... Good memories...

Running player ran quest in EQ ranging from little give aways to our own personal story archs that envolved the rp community. I remember one where we made up these statues that had had some hidden powers...had alot of fun with that. All this was pre Kunark though...yeah old school B)

I have a horrible memory and the most recent mmog I played was WoW so it's the easiest to draw from. Sure, its not a perfect game, but I really enjoyed:

1) The first time I saw Orgimmar with my nooby little orc.

2) My brother and I fighting a 2 vs 5 in Ashzarha and wiping the floor with them several times in a row. Followed by our triumphant ride out of that zone. :P

3) The first time I played the Alterac Valley battleground. Yah, it became a horrible grind after that, but those first battles seemed epic :smiley:

I will leave out Dragonrealms cause that will overshadow everything else...

And even then I still only have one thing in CoV. I had just started and was teamed with this character that was this tiny girl with sewn shut eyes and an interesting story. Well we were grouped for like 5 hours and decided to RP together and that little blind girl became my characters younger sister. The little story we came up with was the best part and RPing was fun. That is really the only time I truly ENJOYED an MMO.

And then for Dragonrealms... there are too many to list but I will give you some. The time I met a GMNPC outside a tent being used as a war hostpital. I was a lvl 7 Paladin, he was a giant lvl 50+ (cant tell just by looking, but he was murdering lots of high lvl folks) orge thing. He had JUST killed someone and their body was on the ground in front of me. I drew my sword and Told him if he wanted in he would have to go through me and he just snorted and sneered and skulked away. He knew he could have destroyed me. It was just such a cool moment that made me really feel like I participated in the battle even though I couldnt really join in the fighting without being a repeating corpse. And it was only like two minutes long MAX.

Another was participating in the Cavalry days events recently. Did a scavenger hunt bar crawl looking for a list of drinks.... then finished and drank them. Particpated in a pig roundup, and a Dwarf drag. Was just some fun little events where we got to socialize and RP and just generally have fun.

Those are my best times, not one has really ever been killing a ton of monsters.

Czi

Playing "Badger Hockey" in DAoC. My guild held an alliance-wide (15+ guilds) event for an entire day... Groups formed at the Hibernian town of Howth for some Badger Hockey at the ring just outside of town. One by one they competed to win until only one team was left. Prizes ranged from 1g to 1p, and fluff hats (Badger Herding Hero) for each round's winner. My guild emptied it's coffers that day, but we had loads of fun accomplishing nothing but saying which guild and team beat who.

And yes, in Hibernia, for those who never played DAoC, you could realy "Whack-a-badger-badger-badger" with a mallet to get it between two flags.

~ Jaraeth

I'm sorry I never experienced badger hockey. lol It's sounds like fun.

I really enjoyed DAoC for a long timel and what made it fun and later made it awful later were the people I hung out with. At first, when the game was newer and I had a great guild it was so fun to log and play with them.

Then there was the "drama" within the guild and it broke into pieces. By then if you were a high level character everyone else was already in there little cliques and uber guilds and it was really hard to fit in with a different group. Starting over with a new character didn't really help because all the other new characters were also alts of 50th levels, already in their cliques, and trying their best to get there alt to the highest level as quickly as possible. The community feel had changed too much.

My most vivid memory was my first trip to Luclin in Everquest, followed up by my first trip to Antonica. I was so scared! I had been spending my time in Faydwer and I was convinced if I left there I would be killed, burned on some orc funeral pyre and my ashes scattered. My little knees were knocking hard, but after I got a taste for travel and adventure, it never left! :smiley:

I have a lot of fond memories of EQ, and in many ways no MMO will ever be able to equal it because it was the first time you were able to experience the combination of great graphics and interacting with real people.

Of those I'd say my two favorites were my first run from Freeport to Qeynos as a level 9 monk - this was at a time when the only way to get across the continent was to run since only druids and wizards could port and no one on the server had gotten high enough level yet - and a fight in upper guk with our regular group that lasted a solid 30 minutes.

When I made the run there were no maps and I must have died 10 times, including one spectacular fall off the side of the cliff leading from High Hold Pass down into East Karana, but I still remember my first look at those welcoming gates when I finally made it.

The fight in upper guk is something we still talk about during our pen & paper games on occasion. We were an almost perfect group - Warrior, Druid, Cleric, Paladin, Shaman, Enchanter - and we'd been playing together once a week for about a month at this point but weren't even level 20 yet. We were exploring upper guk for the first time and had no clue what level it was or even where we were and almost everything /con'd yellow or red to us. Some level 25ish had just come by to tell us we should probably turn around and hunt back near the entrance since we were getting in over our heads but the warrior was in the middle of a pull so we ignored him. About the time we were finishing off the warriors pull this same guy came running past us shouting train and we watched what looked like half the dungeon go streaming past us. A couple of them peeled off on us, nothing major, but we knew that the rest would be coming for us shortly. We talked it over quickly and decided we'd be better off standing our ground since we knew how to get back to where we were and if we tried to run one or more of us were likely to end up lost.

So we stood there and just kept fighting. The enchanter got out of mana first and would mez, move across the room and med to get enough mana to mez again just about the time the first one broke. The druid was snaring/rooting everything she could then medding to do it all over again. The cleric would toss a heal on the warrior and med to get the mana for the next one, the warrior spent a solid 20 minutes hovering between half health and around 10%. The pally burnt LOH early to keep the warrior alive and give the cleric a chance to get enough mana to actually do the whole med/heal thing along with stunning things until one of us could park it somehow along with hitting things. As the shaman I was rooting various adds and dotting the main mob along with tossing the occasional heal on the other casters and medding. At some point we lost a runner and he brought back another wave. Like I said the fight lasted easily 30 minutes, we had to loot corpses because they were getting in the way and some of them even poofed before we got to them and we still had over 20 corpses around us at the end. About the time we finished the higher level finally made it back to where we were and was stunned we were not only still there but had lived through it.

That fight has always served as proof to me that if you have a great group where everyone knows their roll and works together you can accomplish some pretty amazing stuff. That is until they started tailoring the content to raids.

Hmm, I have a couple from different games. First, I'll start with DAoC. My guild leader at the time had organized a relic Raid on Hibernia. Well, first I should probably set the scene a bit. I played Midgard on Bedevere. While Bedevere was a "medium population server", the Midgard population I believe was the lowest population for any realm on any server. In other words, our "zerg" meant we had more than 2 groups. Hibernia on the other had more lvl 50's than we had players. Massive underdog.

Anyway, so we're gonna take a relic from them damn Hibbies. My guild leader (DominusSecuris, LoA) draws up a absolute BRILLIANT PLAN. We were going to try and keep it secret, but it got leaked on the VN boards the day afterwards. We were accused of exploiting, but after the truth came out, I think someone leaked it because of all the attacks on how we did it. God it was great to serve them a heaping healing of "STFU n00b. What, you never thought of that did you...".
Ok, back to the story..

So, we tried the "stealth" approach. Instead of trying to take all the keeps (and send a alarm out) we avoid them (which is tough, with roamers and the lag) and hit the Relic keep. We did this to keep our presence hidden, as we would not have the strenght to hold up to even a half hearted defence.

Finally we hit the Hibernain Strength Relic Kepp. Things are going pretty well. Hib is slow to muster a defence (they had gotten lazy and fat, heh) so after some tough work (I think we only had 50 people on the raid) and clockwork seige warfar, we retreve the relic.

Then all hell breaks loose.

Finally Hibernia decides to take us seriously. Dom picks up the relic. We're not even out of the keep and we get hit with a lag spike that goes off the scale. Serious incoming. I just happen to be in Dom's group with my shammy, and as the raid party get pounded on by about 200+ very pissed off hibs, He gives our group the word.

"Run for it." :confused:

Now generally, once a relic has been taken, a smart defence will head back to the portal keeps/mile gate and try and ambush the relic party there. We were ready for this and had the ultimate answer. We knew that once we got the relic, Hib was going to take us seriously and the chances of getting to our portal keep was basically zero. So how on earth are we getting back to Midgard? That was our Ace in the hole.

Through the Epic dungeons! :eek:

For those not familiar with DAoC, they had in one of the expansions included a Dungeon that connected to all the realms. At it depths it's one of the nastiest places in DaoC, and is most definatly "Raid only".

But we're gonna run a group of 8 through this 'mutha. :blink:
We must be insane. Or Middies. Or both.

Of just FREAKIN' BRILLIANT. B)

So, off we run, while the rest of the relic party keeps the Hibs busy to cover our excape. We almsot wipe on a couple of huge groups heading to the MG to cut us off, but we make it to the dungeon. Getting through the Hib part goes well, but once we get into the lower portions, people start dieing. But we can stop to rez, or we're doomed. Speed is the only way we are going to make it out of here alive. I burn everything I have to keep Dom up. as we tear through lvl 60+ mob bosses. I'll tell you one thing, No one ever called me "gimp" cuz of my aug/mend spec after that. Thanks to Dom, (who knows the place like the back of his hand) we manage make it out alive. But the cost has been huge.

Just Dom and I are left. And we still have to get it back to our relic keep. :thinking:

And by now the Hibs are tearing across our frontier looking for us.

I look back now and think that only having 2 people left might have saved us. It's easy to miss, or not even consider a Thane/Shaman combo when you're looking for a relic raid party. Probably just a couple n00bs PvEing in Uppland.

Ha. :P

It took us a while but after taking the "back" way in and I can say in earnest I was screaming when I saw flash across my chat screen that the Hibernian Strength Relic had been delivered to Midgard! :D :D :D

Party Time at the Relic, and Dom is buyin'!!

I had a great time counter-PKing in UO. I've done some bad stuff in UO like taking stuff from houses that fell apart, but hey; someone would have done it.

One instance of being a vigilante I especially enjoyed. I had a skills mainly in blacksmithing, mining, and blunt weapons. On an afternoon mining trip I was stripped down because well it's dangerous to go mining out in the middle of nowhere and i needed room to carry my ore. I did however carry my trusty magic hammer and 500 gold peices.

So i'm just mining away when i notice some people running by laughing and talking about some "idiot". I ignored them at first, but one of them broke off from the group and came back to see what i was doing. He started bad mouthing me and being an ass. So at some point i got fed up and told him to either shut the hell up or die. He shut up and just stood there for a second, then left. Now for any of you who have played UO you might know what is coming. I became suspicious of this action and checked my inventory and noticed that my 500 gold was missing!

I immediatley head off in his direction seeking revenge. Now, I was not the most skilled man at using a hammer but i had found mine in a house that belonged to someone very rich. As i said before i have raided a house and made many trips to it and his riches were suddenly MY riches. Anyway this Magic Hammer made up for my lack of skill.

I make it to the closest town and start asking people if they had seen a man in a green robe wearing a skull mask, with a grey ponytail. One man told me he had headed towards tavern. So i searched for him there, no luck. I asked again, "He's headed to the quarry, and yeah he's been known to steal stuff from miners."

Well today he messed with the wrong miner. I head in the direction of the closest quarry and notice the bank is nearby. I grab the magic armor i had found in the mans house i had raided earlier and dressed as intimidatingly as i could, as quickly as i could.

When I arrive at the quarry he is in a heated arguement with the miners obviously trying to distract them from their inventories. I call out to him and tell him that his days are up and he either give up the money or die. He froze for about 10 seconds and ran past me. I simply smiled and put my weapon in my hand and ran after him. As I ran out I noticed the miners cheering me on.

I chased him for about 30 minutes through towns and through forests until we finally came to and empty cave and it was a dead end. He then pleads for his life and eventually threatens to "log off". I said "You can try" and killed him.

His body contained about 1000 gold and his head was worth more in bounty.

After this event i decided to learn how to use my weapons a bit better and decided to become a bounty hunter. I enjoyed this practice and will always remember this first kill.

Three words....Goblin Jumper Cables.

Can't tell you how many times these little babies saved a group from having to do a CR.

It felt really cool to save the day.

Okay, this is a history one: Meridian 59. It was the first (as far as I know) graphical MMORPG but it wasn't really fully developed. It was more an experiment at the time (this was about 10 years ago) and used dial up modems. But, it was sweet. My friend and I would be up for hours and hours in the evening playing and dialing back in when we got disconnected. I haven't played the reincarnation. After that I hadn't played an MMORPG until WoW.

For WoW it was a different memory, but fun none the less. I went down to San Diego to visit my friend and we were trying to get him into the closed beta (they had a two day open beta and whoever got the highest levels per class got in). We played a horde rogue and took turns for almost 36 hours straight. It was a mad rush. We didn't get in but we had a blast playing the top of the line game before it was released and experiencing new horizons around every turn. Everything was new and exciting.

Ok, on to a CoH memory. Our Super group was attempting the Terra Volta trial. Going in, we have a pretty well balanced group. Tanker (Invulnerability, Earth)-Magloc, Defender (Empathy, Darkness) -Cryshal, (Eve here on the boards) Controller (Illusion, Radiation)-Ikiru, (Ikiru here as well) Blaster (Energy, Energy)-Polaris (moi) and err…….Daeran.

Ok, Daeran was by class, a blaster. But he should have been a tanker. Or scrapper. Or a thick brick wall. Just not a blaster. He like to get up close and personal, and getting him to pull back so he could get healed and not take agro from EVERYTHING was well, next to impossible. And he liked it. He wore the ‘Tanker” badge with extreme pride, and his battle cry was “I AM A TANKER!!!!”. That many times was quickly followed with him getting 1-shotted by a boss, and asking for a rez. But he was fun. Kooky, nuts and a bet “touched” from all those shots to the head. But a nice guy.

Ok, off we go to Terra Volta for the respect mission. I think we got completely owned at the door the first time we went in. Had to retreat and rez “tanker-boy” and a couple others. Ok, this is gonna be a little tougher than we had expected. Ok, regroup and try it again. Things get kind bad again, but we manage to clear the first area and talk to the guard. We then go inside the office area of the reactor, and by this point we are getting our groove. Between Iki and Cryshal, we can keep everything locked down while Mag is holding agro. Having a higher ceiling, Daeran and I are able to stay up high, and we go through the baddies like clockwork. Well except for that one boss that was running away and I went after him. And then aggroed like 2 more full groups. And we really needed a rest. That kinda sucked. *blush*

Anywho….

We clear the way to the core pretty easily. Bombs are a blasters best friend! We then head to the core proper and wait for the waves upon waves of Freakshow. It was pretty much pandemonium for like 30 minutes. Wave after wave after wave came, tearing at the reactor core. Our job was to stop them. And keep the core healthy. I’d heard that this mission was very, very nasty, and it was. We failed it a couple times before we finally got it on the occasion. Having a real tanker helped (Magloc), which we didn’t’ have the first couple of times. But it was still hard. Not 14 hours of work, but good god, things happened so fast! Daeran gets 1-shotted by a boss; Iki pops his radiation rez on him so Bid D can get REAL nasty for a bit. I piss off as many as I can and then Nova the felgercarb out of them then go back to picking off minions while Mag tries to keep most of the bosses off the reactor and busting out is big Ole’ hamma. Cryshal, laying down the Tentacles, healing everyone, throwing out a sniper blast. Iki throwing out “the Army” and popping that “ghetto mez”, and debuffing the felgercarb out of the freaks. Action is a whirlwind, have of the time you don’t have much of an idea on who is dead or alive, or your just running around trying to keep you distance, till Cryshal can get enough end to heal you. Or running back out of the reactor to get shielded. Or healing the core. Or a dozen other things, all at breakneck speed.

30 min or so later, with hearts racing, palms and foreheads sweating, and adrenaline racing. WE PULL IT OFF!

One of the absolutely most fun times I’ve ever had in a MMO.

Using the jump/blink glitch to scare the felgercarb out of my UBRS party.

Basically I'd announce that "life is not worth living because I didn't get [x] drop from The Beast (I'd usually say Finkle's Skinner). I'd proceed to jump off of the bridge from the room east of The Beast's leading towards Drakkisath's, then quickly tap blink and stop pressing foreward which would cause me to reappear back on the bridge. Sometimes I'd fail however and land in the lava far, far below. Those were also good memories. :lol: ("Oh god do we have a warlock? the mage just jumped off the bridge")

Re: Morneblade's post...

My Defender was just getting the skills to be really effective and fun in CoH, and the group started breaking up. Without a good, regular group, probably in most games, a game loses it's punch--it's "funability". ;)

Back