Name the Stakes

hotpot said:
All my work and everything I did, given up for a woman, he cursed.
Collective sigh heard 'round the world... AWWWWWWWWWWW

Thank you, thank you, thank you... :smiley:

If I was at my computer, I'd leave a better review. But alas, I am not.

Is it just me, or do the PMs not pop up anymore?? :angry:

Anyways- exxxxcellent update, Suzi! This relationship between Syd and Sloane is quite interesting. I wonder what Syd has up her sleeve?

And poor Sark, thinking Syd doublecrossed him. :( After all he did for her. But she couldn't do that to him..... could she? :mellow: Nahh!!! :D

Awesome job!

What's with Syd and Sloane?? And Sark doesn't seem to know what's going on! Very interesting...

Thanks for the PM! Loving it!

Midnight... Silver BMW.... Sark and me inside..... Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... :D

Fantastic, I'm intrigued, what is going to happen???

But I think Sark should check his temper, and trust a bit in Sydney. We all know she's doublecrossing Sloane, not Sark, right.... ;)

Aesome update..Poor Sark thinks that Syd double-crossed him,she wouldn't do that..right?

I'm looking forward to the Sd/Slone interaction and the mission to Paris is going to be interesting..

Can't wait for more,thanks for the pm.

~Rach~

Is it just me, or do the PMs not pop up anymore??

Nah..it's just you..my PM's poped up!

Love the chapter, I love that fact that Sid is playing both Sark and Sloane...I know she is...she has to be...I hope! :confused:

Ohhh boy...Sark is in for a rough ride. I just hope Syd lets him in on her plan before all hec breaks loose. :smiley: You know Sark and his new found emotions. ;) Awesome update!

Oh, my. I so wouldn't have been able to sit still in that meeting! Will Sark corner Sydney and try to get out info?

Okay, that was me hinting for some sarkney. ;)

Great update! I wonder what Syd's plan is and if Sark will confront her.. Thanks for the PM at sd-1! Could you please PM me when you update? thanks a bunch!@ :clover:

Ohh yay I love this! When I heard you had written a sequal I came rushing over here from SD-1...it took forever to register :( BUT alas I finally got to read what you've written! AND I LOVE IT! What is Sydney up to eh? She's not going to start being mean to Sark now is she? Grrrr...well I must say if I was Sark and I saw her acting like that I would be confused as hell and sleep within reaching distance of a weapon...but thats just me. Can't wait to read more...PM me when you do? Thanks

Tommy-Lane

at last i got around tor eading ur new fic suzi!!! :woot: i feel so bad for being so nusy and talking this long - u sent it to me ages b4 u posted it! :blush: anyways it's rocking so far - and i cant believe how many SD1 gals you got overe here for it!!! (y) (y)

but oh my where is our little suzi - i only hope ur stuck revising for finals.

come back soon honey!!! i miss my twin. :(

Alright - I owe you some individual thankies :smiley:

RavenClaw, Erin and Chia, usa moon, Aliasfreek, CindyZ, red lily, vintagequeen, jacs29, freelancer360: All of you lovelies from sd-1 that have followed me to here... Oh thank you so much!! You have no idea how that makes my day that you take the time to come here just to read/comment/join AA for my fic :blush: :D

freelancer360 and anyone else questioning the Syd/Sark relationship at this point They both have a lot of issues to sort out between each other. Sark thinks he's been betrayed and all Syd knows is for some reason Sark triggered her memories...issues much? ;)

Kidblink83 I am convinced you are a smut bunny! Always with pushing for more and more smut :lol: Some is in the works right now, so you can rest easy ;) btw - thanks so much for the lengthy feedback - I appreciate it greatly!!!! (y)

Joyie Glad you liked 'Gigalo' - I am convinced Sark listens to rap! (y)

amy lynn Glad you caught that thing about the letter and Sark not realizing he was the one who triggered Syd's memories! ;) :D

Dita Would Syd betray Sark? :eek: Never! Unless she had good reason... ;) Oh and thanks for the comments about the Sloane/Syd interaction - writing Arvin is always interesting and I wonder if I 'get' him so your feedback on that was greatly appreciated!!

Thank you to everyone else for reading/commenting!! I'm going to try and put up the next chapter tomorrow *crosses fingers* We shall see though - haven't written anything lately and there is an 8 page paper on Guatemala that still needs to be done... :(

Okay - so I said no update til tomorrow, but then I realized - 8 page paper, another paper, graduation announcements to send out, etc - I must stay away from AA tomorrow!! -_- So here is a pretty lengthy chapter to tide you over (I only have one more chapter written/typed so it's kinda freakin me out leaving myself with not much else to post...) oh well..

I have to give Eva a huge incredible monster big thankies for helping me brainstorm last Thursday! :smiley: When I get the time to write the next chapters - Eva lent me a huge hand in forming them up! :D

Sark drove in silence trying his best to concentrate on the road despite the rain coming down in sheets against the car and Sydney’s quiet presence in the passenger seat next to him. Despite the fact they had left together for Paris, they were silently challenging the other to be the one to break the silence between them. Sark knowing how impatient Sydney was figured he could wait her out.

He was not trying to deny the fact he had many questions for her and they were ones that he most certainly had the right to have answered. Yet, he was unable to deny that every time he looked at her, there was an almost frightening rage began to boil over his usual cool surface. The curiosity of her motives was killing him, but then again so was her being there beside him when she should have been back in Los Angeles where she belonged.

He caught sight of her hand moving over to turn up the volume on the radio. Hastily, he reached over and turned it off. “I’m trying to drive.” s***, I spoke first.

He heard her lightly snort. “Is that all you have to say to me? I’m trying to drive?”

No, I have plenty I’d like to say to you Sydney, but you don’t deserve it, he thought bitterly. No one stirred his emotions like she had and he was not about to point that out to her. Cool indifference had always worked well for him. Sark felt Sydney still staring at him expecting an answer. Well, you are not going to get one. You don’t even deserve a clever retort, he mused.

Dejectedly, Sydney crossed her arms across her chest as she sat back in the seat as Sark saw her turn to look out the window. “It’s all your fault I’m here anyway,” she muttered.

Sark turned to look at her in disbelief, but his eyes quickly turned back to the road at the sound of a horn blaring nearby him. “My fault?! I don’t recall being the one who convinced you to ‘willingly’ come to Sloane…”

He was at a loss with her statement it was his fault. There was so much more he wanted to yell at her, but he thought better of it. As soon as I say I arranged for her to fly to Los Angeles, she will laugh and show me the bug she planted, he thought. Briefly thinking back to how at ease he was finally able to be with her at the safehouse in Peru, he shook his head both at his foolishness then and the absurdity now. Never again, he swore.

“Explain that f***ing quote in the letter you left for me then!” Sydney was now turned in her seat yelling at him. Sark caught sight of the anger flashing in her eyes as well as her cheeks suddenly reddening from her growing fury.

“What letter?” Sark’s eyes never left the road as he coolly replied. He flipped the windshield wipers down to a lower setting. The rain was finally beginning to let up. He noticed Sydney digging into her purse then pulling out a small compact. Flipping it open and pulling out the powder try, she held a small folded piece of paper up for him to see.

“This letter you son of a b****!” He glanced at it from the corner of his eye. He now doubted she was bugged for all she had to do was show Sloane that letter and there would be no way he would be on his way to a vineyard outside of Paris now. “Tell me, was it all part of your plan? Seduce me into believing you were good…misunderstood? Then you f*** me and leave me this?! To trigger my memories?”

Sark suddenly jerked the wheel of the car veering it onto the shoulder before he slammed on the brake and threw it into park. Several cars sped by them laying on their horn in annoyance. He turned in his seat bringing his own hardened gaze to meet Sydney’s. He honestly no idea what quote she was referring to. When he had written that letter, he felt terrible about having to leave her and trying to desperately convince her that her life was worth so much. Thinking back, he wasn’t quite sure what he had written. Bringing his hand up, he quickly snatched it from Sydney’s grasp. He slowly unfolded it noticing the tiny trails of water stains leading down the lengths of the script. He looked back up at her not understanding.

“It’s only after you lose everything that you are free to do anything,” she said slowly emphasizing each word through her anger.

“That? It was something my father always said to me as a child. During my…” He started to say recruitment, but thought better of it, “training, I heard it there as well. It became my mantra of sorts – world be damned.” He handed the paper back to her as her eyes studied him trying to figure if he were telling the truth.

“That was the phrase programmed to trigger the return of my memories.” Sark looked at her then now trying to figure out if she were telling the truth. Such a large part of him wanted to believe her, but he couldn’t bring himself to trust her even at this. Despite everything he told her about returning home, she had sought Sloane out anyway. Everything he would give up to go back to a normal life like hers, she had thrown it away like it meant nothing.

His eyes leaving hers, he caught sight of the time on the radio clock. “We’re going to be late.” He turned away from her now putting the car back into drive and pulling out onto the road. As he did this, Sydney rolled the window down feeling the damp air on her face. Taking the letter, she held it out the window allowing the passing breeze to catch it before she released it for the wind to carry away.

Lately I just can’t seem to believe - You make me real - Discard my friends – To change the scenery – Strong as I feel - It meant the world to hold a bruising faith – You make real – But now it’s just a matter of grace ~The Smashing Pumpkins

a/n: More stunt casting - Laurence Gilbert will be played by Oliver Martinez

The rest of the ride to the vineyard had been quiet. Sydney merely looked out the window mulling over Sark’s statement while Sark drove his eyes never leaving the road. She knew this because every time she would steal a look in his direction, he would still be leaning back in the seat with one arm over the wheel, one on the clutch and his head cocked to the side. Damn, it was sexy. She hated the effect he had on her. Even now, her conscious was working in his favor.

When she told Lazarey of her plans to remove her memories, he had said that quote to her. Sydney remembered the feeling of hope that had overcame her at his words. Leaving Julia Thorne behind would mean she could return to Sydney Bristow and live the life she missed. It hadn’t quite worked like that after all. Damn her curious mind. The more truths she attempted to uncover the further the rabbit hole would go.

Thinking back, part of her knew she should have listened to Sark and returned to LA, but she would never admit it now. Armed with memories as Julia, Sydney had a better chance of taking down Sloane that even Sark. Granted it had high stakes – kissing him on the cheek the night before had resulted in her frantically trying to scrub her lips off in the upstairs bathroom, but as she kept repeating to herself it would be worth it.

Sydney’s thoughts were interrupted as the windshield wipers roughly scraped across the glass in front of her. The rain had stopped and the sun was beginning to peek through the clouds as Sark continued to drive further into the countryside. Sydney was surprised when Sloane had told her the target was a valuable file held by a wealthy winemaker. It seemed too simple to be her test of loyalty, but she was thankful it was merely an infiltrate, grab and go. Her specialty, she mused.

Sark turned the car down a narrow lane that lead up to the property’s villa. “Now you do remember our cover,” Sark suddenly asked her. She found herself annoyed at how he felt it necessary to make sure she knew what she was doing. That never had been an issue before with them.

Never taking her eyes from the view out the passenger window she curtly replied, “We’re restaurant owners wanting to secure interest in last year’s Pouilly Fume for next year’s market.”

“Good. We are also supposedly lovers, so try to act like you cannot resist me.”

Sydney felt the heat rise to her cheeks despite the coldness in his tone. “Sure, I’ll just pretend you are Vaughn,” she said the tone in her voice matching his in hardness. It was an unfair statement seeing how she couldn’t remember the last time she thought of Vaughn, but it would keep Sark quiet.

“Excellent.” Sark snapped as he pulled the car up to the main house of the estate. If the remark had stung, he didn’t show it. That hadn’t struck Sydney as odd, but what she did find disconcerting was the fact it hurt her to say it to him.

Her eyes followed Sark as he got out and confidently walked around the front of the car coming over to the passenger side. While he opened the door for her, Sydney held down the corner of her skirt as she stepped out. Looking up to survey the villa, her mind ran with the target information Sloane had given her the night before. The man they were meeting with was Laurence Gilbert whose family had made a fortune with his Sauvignon grapes by making some of the finest white wine to come from that area of France. It was once boasted that the Gilberts' had put Tours on the map for winemaking and now it appeared one of them had something that Sloane wanted.

Sydney’s mind was pulled away from her analysis at the sight of a handsome dark haired man emerging from the house and the feel of Sark’s arm moving around her waist. As much as she tried to deny it, she would never forget the feelings Sark’s touch elicited in her.

“Bonjour Monsieur Reinhart! I was worried this rain would keep you away,” Gilbert walked over to Sark shaking his hand before stepping back to look at Sydney, “Who may I ask is this?”

“Monsieur, I am his partner Sophia.” Gilbert stepped over towards Sydney reaching for her hand and bringing it to his lips.

“Sophia, it is my pleasure and please call me James,” he smiled at her taking a moment to drink her in. Sydney had to admit leaving the dull black suits reserved for the CIA in favor of the crimson shift she was now wearing was doing wonders to improve her mood despite the circumstances.

Sark cleared his throat. “Well James, think we can go inside then?”

Gilbert now slightly embarrassed quickly snapped his attention back to Sark. “Yes, of course. Right this way…” Sydney cast a glance over to Sark musing over the tightened appearance to his jaw before chuckling softly and following Gilbert into the villa.

Walking into the foyer, Sydney pretended to marvel over the décor as she noted the staircase leading upstairs. Judging from the photos of ancestors lining the hallway, the winery had been in the family for quite sometime. It now made sense to her Gilbert’s wealth came from the family fortune. He had seemed to young to be this wealthy already.

“Do you think we could ever live in a place like this,” she asked Sark as Sydney peered into the dining room just off to the left of the foyer trying to determine if there were any staff in the house.

“Ours is the restaurant business Sophia not winemaking,” he chided her. Part of Sydney took his words to heart. Ours is the espionage business Sydney not anything resembling a normal profession, he might as well have said.

Sighing quietly, she looked over to Gilbert now staring at her with sympathy in his eyes. “You poor dear, you may come visit me here anytime you wish.”

Sydney smiled at him not daring to look at Sark’s reaction to this statement. “Thank you, you’re too kind.”

Gilbert smiled back at her seemingly avoiding Sark’s look as well. He gestured to the sitting room off to the right of the foyer. “If you please,” he said as Sark and Sydney walked in to sit on the small sofa in the middle of the room. Gilbert followed taking his place in a large armchair across from them. “Monsieur Reinhart, what exactly may I do for you?” Sydney found this slightly irritating that Gilbert only wanted to talk business with Sark, but it would work to her advantage soon enough.

As if sensing her feeling, Sark looked over at her before she smiled softly and nodded at him. “We’re looking to secure last year’s Pouilly Fume for next year’s market at upwards of two hundred cases.”

Gilbert took in the statement his mind possibly trying to figure out the catch. “What would be in it for me?”

Sark chuckled lightly in attempt to set Gilbert at ease. There was no sense in raising the man’s suspicion so soon. “My offer might increase generously with the promise of sampling some of the merchandise.”

Gilbert smiled understandingly. “Of course, allow me.” He rose from his chair turning back towards the small cabinet against the wall behind him. Sydney saw her cue and stood up from the sofa. Gilbert looked over seeing her rise.

“May I use your powder room?”

He smiled as he sat down the wine bottle he was holding. “Certainly, up the stairs and it is the second door on your right.”

“Merci.” Sydney turned and walked into the foyer heading for the stairs. As she went up, she cast one look back into the sitting room. She momentarily marveled at Sark sitting there in his navy suit completely natural and at ease while she was climbing up the stairs in an attempt to prove something they both knew was untrue. No, a normal life would never be hers, but seeing Sark in that light despite the circumstances gave her glimpses of what her life could be like.

Sydney calmly climbed the stairs as her heels clicked lightly against the wooden steps. She knew what she was after and was fairly certain there was no one else around except Gilbert. Now in the upstairs hallway, she hurried over to the bathroom and opened the door. Quickly sliding off her heels, she placed them just inside the door. The loud sound the door made as it hit the frame echoed in the hallway. s***, maybe a little too much emphasis, she thought. Not taking any longer to dwell on that, she turned quietly moving down the hall towards where Sloane said Gilbert’s office should be.

Sydney turned the doorknob slowly pausing at the sound of Sark’s voice carry through the upstairs. “Yes, she is very beautiful but,” was all Sydney bothered to listen to as she took a deep breath and pushed the door open.

Sloane had been right. She now stood in the middle of Gilbert’s office as her eyes immediately went to the painting behind his desk. Sydney momentarily studied it noting how much Gilbert resembled the man holding the hand of a beautiful woman with the vast grape fields as a backdrop. She didn’t know why, but something about him struck her. Maybe because he was the first person to just generally be nice to her since she had came to Sloane, but she couldn’t be sure.

Sydney scolded herself as she moved to the picture pulling it from off the wall. There was no time to waste. Gilbert might be all friendly now, but if he catches you stealing something for Arvin Sloane, that’ll likely change, she thought. Pulling the lock decryptor from her purse, she placed it on the face of the wall-safe. Quickly, it rolled the numbers out in succession as Sydney glanced at her watch.

“Hurry, hurry,” she muttered quietly. The numbers finally lined up and she heard a small popping sound as the safe released. Sydney pulled open the safe, her eyes immediately falling to all the jewelry secured in it. Seeing the black envelope she was looking for, she pulled the thin folder from it. After she placed the rolled up folder in her purse, she put the empty envelope back in the safe and removed the lock decrypter placing that in her purse as well. Turning quickly, she re-hung the picture back up on the wall and ran out of Gilbert’s office.

As Sydney hurriedly ran towards the bathroom, she noticed she could no longer hear Sark or Gilbert conversing. Her pulse quickened at the thought she had taken too long. After she had grabbed her shoes, Sydney took a deep breath before beginning down the stairs. Midway down, she cast a glance into the sitting room and was slightly alarmed at the sight of the empty sofa. Where had they gone, she wondered. Now at the bottom of the steps, she began to walk back into the sitting room.

Sydney gasped in surprise at the sight before her.

:P Sorry I had to do that to you - I'm a horrible person, I know... :D

Next Update

Oooh! I'm first to review!! :smiley: Maybe that has something to do with my being up ridiculously late tonight...hmmm... :lol:

Anyway...I love it! I would quote the whole scene in the car, but that would be silly. The tension between Sark and Sydney -- (y) (y) -- You've captured that certain spark they have that tends to set the other off. It is absolutely fantastic.

I love that he's being suspicious of her...because thats such a Sark thing to do...but eventually they have to work that out!! Right?!?! :thinking:

Oliver Martinez = a great casting choice for the role of Laurence Gilbert (y)

I wonder what she comes back to see...hmmmmm.... :Ponder: --evil cliffhanger!! ;)

Great update!! Thanks for the PM!!

You are SO mean! That wasn't a nice cliffhangar...let's see...what did she see? Sark and Gilbert dressed in clown outfits? No....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Can't wait to see. ;) Good luck on the paper!

Back